Confirmed: Caulker loan cancelled; Moves on loan to Liverpool

Maggie May

If Klopp succeeds in turning around Steven Caulker's career and gets him playing well, this will be a big indication to all of us, on how good or bad Ronald Koeman is a manager. I doubt Klopp will succeed and this appears a very poor move by Liverpool but everything is possible now that Klopp is running their show.

If Klopp succeeds in turning around Steven Caulker's career and gets him playing well, this will be a big indication to all of us, on how good or bad Ronald Koeman is a manager. I doubt Klopp will succeed and this appears a very poor move by Liverpool but everything is possible now that Klopp is running their show.

Don't see how it's a very poor move, he has Touré and Sakho sort of half fit at CB and then it's the Unders, if you'd seen them against Exeter you'd probably agree that anything that is going to cost them very little at the end of the day is a better option.

Awful signing, not just in terms of being a poor player but just the whole notion of using the loan market for that type of fix me up player. Thankfully Liverpool are helping us cut our losses because they are so desperate because of injuries they need some cover & someone to play in Exeter replay. Still disappointed he's deprived others of 1st team chances. Funny how now Koeman's been forced to use the academy as backup for that 4th choice defender slot till end of season.

Funny how now Koeman's been forced to use the academy as backup for that 4th choice defender slot till end of season.

No he hasn't, there's Gardos isn't there, think he's nearly back in the frame.

The young man with the rocket scientist accent commenting on last night's U21 game seemed to think that both Gallagher and Stephens would be going back out on loan. Probably emergency loans this time because the FA don't count them in the 2 club only rule.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It won't go down as a monumental mistake as he won't play as soon as their CB's are fit.

Is Caulkers one England cap supposed to mean something about his ability? I guess it shouldn't surprise us to see Nugent on his way to Mersey side?

I think him and Michael Ricketts would be quite the hit down Anfield way.

Beg to differ mate, Caulker is a good player (England cap etc) who is just having a poor run, he is young and will have dips in his form but I repeat Klopp is no fool. As for Tadic I am also questioning his mental strength so vital to succeed in the Premiership.

If you are right on the other hand - and I don't think you are - then Liverpool are in big trouble because this would then be a monumental mistake.

Why are you still blathering about Tadic on a thread about the departure of a centre back?

Funny how now Koeman's been forced to use the academy as backup for that 4th choice defender slot till end of season.

It might be funny if it was true, but it isn't. Koeman actually said that Martina is available for backup of CB and hinted this would be his preferred choice until Gardos is back (which should be soonish). I see Stephens is still training with the first team matchday squad though (though he had a mare last night).

Thank god he's gone...the bloke is a Jonah...you don't get relegated with two different teams on the trot for nothing...every time I've seen him play he has been woeful...attacks the ball well...but cannot defend for toffee...Happy days and he couldn't have gone to a better team...!

You may or may no be right Duncan, but given that Caulker was behind Yoshida in the pecking order the coaching staff would appear to disagree with you big time.

As someone else mentioned 'Coaching' staff might be misrepresenting the term... There is so little sign of coaching going on at the moment.... If you don't come fully equipped and Caulker certainly didn't you ain't gonna get better with us!

As someone else mentioned 'Coaching' staff might be misrepresenting the term... There is so little sign of coaching going on at the moment.... If you don't come fully equipped and Caulker certainly didn't you ain't gonna get better with us!

There could be plenty of coaching going on but you can coach all day long and it might not make any difference. If it works so well why aren't all the players in the Prem improving?

This news made my day. Caulker has an attitude problem and likes going out on the **** a lot. It's a shame because there was a future star in their some years ago but it seems it's all gone to his head. He can't pass, he's not that quick, he's lazy, he can't mark and his reading of the game is poor. Yoshida is a better CB than Caulker.

The icing on the cake is that Liverpool are paying us to end his loan agreement early. :lol:

It might be funny if it was true, but it isn't. Koeman actually said that Martina is available for backup of CB and hinted this would be his preferred choice until Gardos is back (which should be soonish). I see Stephens is still training with the first team matchday squad though (though he had a mare last night).

be interesting to see what gardos is like when he returns. I remember he had a couple good games, and a couple not so good games. I don't think I really made my mind up what to think about him.

"Jürgen Klopp explains why Steven Caulker is a perfect fit for the Reds..."

I assume the article says "because we have absolutely no centre backs and he's a centre back, he's not cuptied for the Europa League, he's played in the division, we don't have to commit to anything other than wages until May, and there's no way he's worse than Ilori after how he looked like against Exeter, FFS".

be interesting to see what gardos is like when he returns. I remember he had a couple good games, and a couple not so good games. I don't think I really made my mind up what to think about him.

He'll be good in the air, decent at marking and positionally, and too slow in possession, I should think.

From what I saw of him last season, even half-fit he will be better that Caulker was for us.

• 5 weeks later...

So, it's a month since he left...

13/01/16 - Steven Caulker chooses to leave Saints (13th), to join Liverpool (8th).

13/02/16 - Saints yet to concede a goal in the six matches since Caulker's departure and up to 6th. LFC slip into the bottom half, down to 11th.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

So, it's a month since he left...

13/01/16 - Steven Caulker chooses to leave Saints (13th), to join Liverpool (8th).

13/02/16 - Saints yet to concede a goal in the six matches since Caulker's departure and up to 6th. LFC slip into the bottom half, down to 11th.

He hardly played for us, he's hardly played for them. Your point being?

Edited by Greenridge

How many games have they had since? And how many appearances has he made? He seems involved everytime i see them.

In the 9 games they've played since he joined them he's started once and had a couple of bit part substitute appearances up front. So he's hardly played for them the same as he hardly played for us.

• 1 year later...
Please don't make me click on a Daily Heil link. What does the story say?

He's been arrested again for failing to provide a sample. This is the fourth time he's been nicked weeks after saying he was going to clean up his act. Been released on bail pending a court date.