Charlie Austin

Saint-Armstrong

New boys have to perform a song I believe as a "welcome". Bet Long loved it.

I've learned something.

We could have a whole new thread here on who would sing what?

Assume Rickie did Doing the Lambert Walk?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

To think we got for what MLT said today was actually less than 4m upfront is such a steal. Compare to Osvaldo about 4x the price not as good at scoring goals and a total bellend whereas CH can score and seems like he's going to gel very well with the level headed squad (minus wanyama and mane).

This signing has come at such a good time, well on our way to a superb winning streak if we manage to do the unthinkable and win at Arsenal. :smug:

Edited by Saint IQ

Apologies if already posted...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/25/ian-holloway-explains-what-makes-him-sick-about-charlie-austin/

Ian Holloway has told Sky Sports that the fact Manchester United did not try to sign Charlie Austin makes him sick.

United overlooked Austin, despite their lack of goals, and the 26-year-old ended up moving to Southampton from Queens Park Rangers instead.

Holloway believes that Austin shares a lot of similarities with Alan Shearer, and he has backed the powerful forward to be a major hit at St. Mary’s.

"In the last 18 months, apart from Harry Kane, I haven't seen a better centre-forward than Austin in English football," Holloway said.[/Quote]

Edited by trousers

The knee I think is an issue for many, although I remember last year him pointing to it after having scored somewhere, in a "**** you" gesture to show that it wasn't an issue. Anyway, if it was, then surely the medical would have picked it up.

sorry what is the knee issue? has this been a recurring problem in his career or something? can't remember much talk of it last few years but memory getting worse...

sorry what is the knee issue? has this been a recurring problem in his career or something? can't remember much talk of it last few years but memory getting worse...

I think something came up in his medical at Hull which they thought might make him more prone to serious knee injuries, but I don't think he's ever had any direct knee injuries so far in his career and since then I think Bruce has said it was the biggest mistake in his managerial career to not sign him. unfortunately that moron David Sullivan blabbed about him having "no ligaments in his knee" and, just like Gold mentioning him getting 100k a week, these things are believed despite them being gross exaggerations. Every time that pair of idiots open their mouths you wonder how the hell they've ever had any sort of success in life.

It's been going on for a couple of years, and honestly, I don't know how it started. If anyone does, then can they enlighten me?

It is the impression that many have and go with, while ignoring the fact that the number of games he plays is right up there. I think one of the WHU Davids brought it up with the failed Hull medical and then they did go on to say that he had no ligaments left in the right knee. They had to retract that when CA threatened legal action (which would rather suggest that he does have ligaments). To me, he passed a medical at Saints, and I am sure that the medical staff are more than competent and we would not have signed him had there been an underlying problem. Someone did say, but again no idea, that there might be a deep rooted problem much like the way that Remy failed his medical. It might manifest itself, but it might not.

Who knows?

I think something came up in his medical at Hull which they thought might make him more prone to serious knee injuries, but I don't think he's ever had any direct knee injuries so far in his career and since then I think Bruce has said it was the biggest mistake in his managerial career to not sign him. unfortunately that moron David Sullivan blabbed about him having "no ligaments in his knee" and, just like Gold mentioning him getting 100k a week, these things are believed despite them being gross exaggerations. Every time that pair of idiots open their mouths you wonder how the hell they've ever had any sort of success in life.

I had the pleasure of visiting one of my Skate supporting customers yesterday and mentioned what a pleasure it was going to work following a victory on the Saturday, especially one at Old Trafford.

Naturally the subject of Austin arose and whereas he admitted his disbelief that we had signed him for just £4 million, he insisted that we were paying him £100,000 a week. I asserted that I thought it very unlikely, but he persisted that the low signing on fee meant that it was made up by his wages. I filled him in on the Caulker factor and how that was probably instrumental in us getting the deal over the line. I left it by saying that everybody could believe what they liked, but nobody knew whether there any truth in it, apart from the player, his agent and the club.

But it is indeed a pleasure having Skates believing that we follow in their footsteps in overpaying for players, even if we aren't. It just goes to highlight the gulf between the two teams and the fact that they aren't capable of buying anybody even remotely close to the bargain basement £4 million, let alone anybody in the £10/£20 million bracket.

Was trying to figure out his accent. Got a bit of a south country burr and not all estrary like, innit. So that that's what proper Berkshire sounds like, I suppose, and good for him. As said before, he's saying the right things and not being a big time 'Charlie'. If Wikipedia is to be believed, he decked someone for traducing him regarding drugs, so again, good for him. Keep it up Charlie mate!

I had the pleasure of visiting one of my Skate supporting customers yesterday and mentioned what a pleasure it was going to work following a victory on the Saturday, especially one at Old Trafford.

Naturally the subject of Austin arose and whereas he admitted his disbelief that we had signed him for just £4 million, he insisted that we were paying him £100,000 a week. I asserted that I thought it very unlikely, but he persisted that the low signing on fee meant that it was made up by his wages. I filled him in on the Caulker factor and how that was probably instrumental in us getting the deal over the line. I left it by saying that everybody could believe what they liked, but nobody knew whether there any truth in it, apart from the player, his agent and the club.

But it is indeed a pleasure having Skates believing that we follow in their footsteps in overpaying for players, even if we aren't. It just goes to highlight the gulf between the two teams and the fact that they aren't capable of buying anybody even remotely close to the bargain basement £4 million, let alone anybody in the £10/£20 million bracket.

With the new TV contract we could afford to pay a few players 100K a week. However, I am not sure this management team would do that until relegation was mathematically impossible.

• 2 years later...

Love the responses fellas. Perhaps a bit of a Freudian slip.

Seriously though, I got told this earlier (clearly a crock of ****). Just disappointed my dreams of a strong mobile goal scorer seem to have been dashed again

• 3 months later...

He seems to have turned into a ego mad ''I could give a toss'' about any situation wrongun.

Drops a stupid provactive tweet on twitter that deservedly got flamed with blunt response from fed up fans.

He didnt seem so 'big headed' when he turned up

He is so slow now, can't hit a ball cleanly, no composure when given a chance.

Not sure where it all went wrong for him. Confidence? Fitness? Attitude?

Or the odd malaise that affects all strikers who play for us recently.

He's an ex Wessex League bricklayer earning £60k a week, by far his biggest contract. Since he joined us, he's set himself up for life, cares more about horse racing and couldn't particularly give a toss anymore.

He is so slow now, can't hit a ball cleanly, no composure when given a chance.

Not sure where it all went wrong for him. Confidence? Fitness? Attitude?

Or the odd malaise that affects all strikers who play for us recently.

My guess this. Scoring goals is all he's really good for. He knows it, we know it. So if they dry up the pressure mounts exponentially.

That penalty miss didn't help.

My guess this. Scoring goals is all he's really good for. He knows it, we know it. So if they dry up the pressure mounts exponentially.

That penalty miss didn't help.

Strangely I always thought he would suit 4-4-2 playing as the little man in the classic old school big man little man combo. You could see him doing ok in a set up where he is just feeding off flick ons and knock downs in and around the box.

Sadly we haven't had a big man CF for a long time now.

He's an ex Wessex League bricklayer earning £60k a week, by far his biggest contract. Since he joined us, he's set himself up for life, cares more about horse racing and couldn't particularly give a toss anymore.

I agree with some of that but not sure he doesn't give a toss. I would say he perhaps doesn't have the same fire as young player trying to prove his value though.

Also I wonder if the fact his knees are a little ****ed means he struggles to train effectively and as such isn't as fit as he could be. Must have an impact as you get older.

Should sell and upgrade same as Long... Give Sam G a run out.....
Couple of problems with that. Sadly Sam's performance for the U23 team on Friday was awful. Can only hope that there was an underlying problem. Obafemi was not brilliant, but far better.

Also, "sell and upgrade" may be simple on a computer game, but this is the real world. What quality strikers are going to be available in Jan, let alone at a sensible price? Last year, £18m got us Carrillo. And selling three or four strikers who aren't scoring but won't want to leave because they're on good wages will obviously be a piece of cake.

I'll be very surprised if we don't finish the season with the same personnel that we have now, unless results don't pick up and we have another manager change.

But I can't recall a time when we had so many strikers simultaneously low on confidence. I keep hoping for the one game where things click and it breaks the malaise.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I mean it doesn't help when we can't seem to put out a settled team. The team needs games together in a set formation for them to build up confidence.

Not sure why we don't try a 4-2-3-1 with Redmond, Armstrong, Elyounoussi and Ings as the front "4". Alternatively a 4-3-3 with Redmond Ings and Elyounoussi. I just don't like 442 at all, as we cant control the middle of the park and therefore we can't create good chances as it's all a bit desparate when we get up the other end of the pitch.

I mean it doesn't help when we can't seem to put out a settled team. The team needs games together in a set formation for them to build up confidence.

Not sure why we don't try a 4-2-3-1 with Redmond, Armstrong, Elyounoussi and Ings as the front "4". Alternatively a 4-3-3 with Redmond Ings and Elyounoussi. I just don't like 442 at all, as we cant control the middle of the park and therefore we can't create good chances as it's all a bit desparate when we get up the other end of the pitch.

I agree with that. A settled team can build understanding which is essential.

I don't think 433 and 4231 are that different if you consider the 10 in that setup to be either being advanced during attack and sitting in front of the DM when we don't have the ball.

If it's 4231 I'd like to see Gabbiadini given a decent run of games in front of Ings in the 10. Plus Redmond and any one from Armstrong, Elyounoussi or even the forgotten and much-derided JWP.

Ings likes to be able to come deeper to link up play and pick up the ball, so we need AMs who can get into more advanced positions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree with some of that but not sure he doesn't give a toss. I would say he perhaps doesn't have the same fire as young player trying to prove his value though.

Also I wonder if the fact his knees are a little ****ed means he struggles to train effectively and as such isn't as fit as he could be. Must have an impact as you get older.

If he can't train and isn't fit then why the hell do we play him and pay him? The bloke has become a liability and we need to offload ( & long ) as quickly as possible.

Gallagher never was and never will be the answer.