New car help

SO16_Saint

We are after a cross over style car. Looking to pay around £10-12K and want it no older than 2013 ideally.

We have looked at the Quashqai and like it, but the back seats aren't big enough for 2 car seats and a full sized human :)

What would people suggest?

I got a Qashqai after test driving the Yeti, in part because the Qashqai was wider. I think it would be a no.

Maybe the X Trail is slightly wider? Honda CRV should be good for what you want or a Ford Kuga.

Personally I wouldnt buy a car of that age, more cost effective to lease imo. You could get a brand new X Trail all in for £4740 for two years

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/car-leasing/deals/nissan/x-trail/station-wagon-1.6-dig-t-visia-5dr/business/624830/#prices

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deals/honda/cr-v/?body=4x4&from=150&to=250&type=personal&transmission=manual&doors=5

I got a Qashqai after test driving the Yeti, in part because the Qashqai was wider. I think it would be a no.

Maybe the X Trail is slightly wider? Honda CRV should be good for what you want or a Ford Kuga.

Personally I wouldnt buy a car of that age, more cost effective to lease imo. You could get a brand new X Trail all in for £4740 for two years

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/car-leasing/deals/nissan/x-trail/station-wagon-1.6-dig-t-visia-5dr/business/624830/#prices

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/deals/honda/cr-v/?body=4x4&from=150&to=250&type=personal&transmission=manual&doors=5

The Qashwai is wider than the Yeti? blimey.

I like the X trail, that'd be my choice, but was out of budget.... leasing may be an idea.

I remember seeing a thread about the pros/cons of leasing on here... will try to dig it out

You're talking **** again Tim, have a look at Autotrader (first one I came across on there for both years):

2013 Nissan XTrail Tekna 2.0 DCI (24000 miles) - £16995

2011 Nissan XTrail Tekna 2.0 DCI (40000 miles) - £14500

Cost of £2445 over two years, not including tax (£3005 after road tax).

Not sure why you always think it's more cost effective to lease.

The Qashwai is wider than the Yeti? blimey.

I like the X trail, that'd be my choice, but was out of budget.... leasing may be an idea.

I remember seeing a thread about the pros/cons of leasing on here... will try to dig it out

If you're paying cash, then it's still cheaper to buy a 2 or 3 year old car (the first two years are the worst for depreciation by far) and then re-sell at the end of the two years, than lease. Of course, if you like having a brand new car, then the extra money may not bother you, but if you want to be cost-effective then this is still the best way to do it.

Jeff struggles with the idea that a 2013 car is not the same as a new car and that you have real, hidden and also potential repair costs of buying.

The main advantages of leasing (technically contract hire) are that get a brand new car, dont pay for road tax, its under warranty so no worries about repairs and you have free breakdown cover. Again because its new you also aren't paying for consumable costs associated with a used car like new tyres, brakes etc. You also dont have the credit costs of borrowing purchase money - the interest over two years on borrowing £12,000 at 7% is c£1,390 - or the hassles of trying to find a good car to buy and then sell it again at the end.

Contract hire brand new X Trail for two years £4720 all in

Costs to buy 2013 Qashqai

£3,005 depreciation and tax

£1,390 interest paid in two years based on borrowing £12,000 at 7%pa over five years

£700 repairs insurance eg Warranty Direct at £350pa

£240 European breakdown cover (c£120pa)

c£400 tyres, brakes, wipers etc (average cost over two years on a three to five year old car)

£100 driving to find a car at start

£50 selling on Autotrader at end Total £5,885

So buying a three year old Qashqai and driving it for two years costs over £1,100 more than leasing a brand new X trail (which is a pricier car). You also get the buying and selling hassle and an inferior warranty to the manufacturers one.

Edited by buctootim

Jeff struggles with the idea that a 2013 car is not the same as a new car and that you have real, hidden and also potential repair costs of buying.

The main advantages of leasing (technically contract hire) are that get a brand new car, dont pay for road tax, its under warranty so no worries about repairs and you have free breakdown cover. Again because its new you also aren't paying for consumable costs associated with a used car like new tyres, brakes etc. You also dont have the credit costs of borrowing purchase money - the interest over two years on borrowing £12,000 at 7% is c£1,390 - or the hassles of trying to find a good car to buy and then sell it again at the end.

Contract hire brand new X Trail for two years £4720 all in

Costs to buy 2013 Qashqai

£3,005 depreciation and tax

£1,390 interest paid in two years based on borrowing £12,000 at 7%pa over five years

£700 repairs insurance eg Warranty Direct at £350pa

£240 European breakdown cover (c£120pa)

c£400 tyres, brakes, wipers etc (average cost over two years on a three to five year old car)

£100 driving to find a car at start

£50 selling on Autotrader at end Total £5,885

So buying a three year old Qashqai and driving it for two years costs over £1,100 more than leasing a brand new X trail (which is a pricier car). You also get the buying and selling hassle and an inferior warranty to the manufacturers one.

Right of reply here:

- You are assuming that the brakes and pads haven't just been replaced, which if you are buying well you would look at and thus negotiate the price down if it needed doing.

- As I said above when replying to SO16, I said when paying cash. Not getting a loan.

- A lot of cars come with a 5 year warranty so the car would still be under manufacturers warranty in most cases.

- Breakdown cover most people get free with their bank account.

So, I still make that substantially cheaper, even if you pay for the warranty and that's before you get charged 15p per mile over, and any damage to the car from over-zealous kids, and car park dings...as I said, in general buying a two year old car is more cost-effective than leasing.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Right of reply here:

- You are assuming that the brakes and pads haven't just been replaced, which if you are buying well you would look at and thus negotiate the price down if it needed doing.

- As I said above when replying to SO16, I said when paying cash. Not getting a loan.

- A lot of cars come with a 5 year warranty so the car would still be under manufacturers warranty in most cases.

- Breakdown cover most people get free with their bank account.

So, I still make that substantially cheaper, even if you pay for the warranty and that's before you get charged 15p per mile over, and any damage to the car from over-zealous kids, and car park dings...as I said, in general buying a two year old car is more cost-effective than leasing.

Given a set of new tyres is around £400 and will last not much more than 20,000 miles and a full set of brake pads and discs is around £600 and will last around 40-50,000 miles and the clutch is c£600 - factoring in £400 in consumables over two years and 20,000 miles is conservative.

You are still paying for financing somewhere if you put down cash for the car - through additional interest on other credit cards, mortgages or loans you could have paid off with the money but didn't.

The cars in question, Qashqai and X Trail come with three year warranties.

You get basic breakdown cover, not European or home start, with some bank accounts when you pay a monthly fee - typically £120 pa.

If someone dings your car its the same result whether you lease or buy - its still costs the same to repair.

The fact you make that substantially cheaper says more about you than maths.

Given a set of new tyres is around £400 and will last not much more than 20,000 miles and a full set of brake pads and discs is around £600 and will last around 40-50,000 miles and the clutch is c£600 - factoring in £400 in consumables over two years and 20,000 miles is conservative.

You are still paying for financing somewhere if you put down cash for the car - through additional interest on other credit cards, mortgages or loans you could have paid off with the money but didn't.

The cars in question, Qashqai and X Trail come with three year warranties.

You get basic breakdown cover, not European or home start, with some bank accounts when you pay a monthly fee - typically £120 pa.

If someone dings your car its the same result whether you lease or buy - its still costs the same to repair.

The fact you make that substantially cheaper says more about you than maths.

It doesn't cost the same to repair, you pay more as it gets invoiced to you after the car has gone back, and they use their own people. I know someone who had to £4k for a new respray as they had 2 panels keyed. He was obviously not happy.

The opportunity cost of money is a pretty ridiculous argument to make, as you haven't factored that into your calculations either.

Not sure why we're talking about having European cover, what if these people don't want to take the car abroad.

If tyres, discs and brakes last 20k miles, why will the person potentially not have to pay for them while leasing as well? There is every chance that they will, especially if the car is 4wd and definitely if they did it over 3 years.

I am about to sell my X1 and get an E class estate. It works out that leasing over 3 years cost an extra £5k. No matter how many sets of tyres, brakes, opportunity cost of the money etc you shove on that, it doesn't even make a dent.

Leasing is not more cost effective. It may be a better way to own a car, but it IS NOT more cost effective. The problem I have is you're trying to advise people on spending a lot of money, and giving them misleading information. That is a pretty ****tish thing to do, just to try and prove a point that you know isn't true.

It doesn't cost the same to repair, you pay more as it gets invoiced to you after the car has gone back, and they use their own people. I know someone who had to £4k for a new respray as they had 2 panels keyed. He was obviously not happy.

The opportunity cost of money is a pretty ridiculous argument to make, as you haven't factored that into your calculations either.

Not sure why we're talking about having European cover, what if these people don't want to take the car abroad.

If tyres, discs and brakes last 20k miles, why will the person potentially not have to pay for them while leasing as well? There is every chance that they will, especially if the car is 4wd and definitely if they did it over 3 years.

I am about to sell my X1 and get an E class estate. It works out that leasing over 3 years cost an extra £5k. No matter how many sets of tyres, brakes, opportunity cost of the money etc you shove on that, it doesn't even make a dent.

Leasing is not more cost effective. It may be a better way to own a car, but it IS NOT more cost effective. The problem I have is you're trying to advise people on spending a lot of money, and giving them misleading information. That is a pretty ****tish thing to do.

Psst. No -one is talking about leasing a Mercedes. Try to focus.

To repeat. If someone has £4,000 of damage done to their car it is covered by insurance, regardless of whether its a lease or owned, its an irrelevant point.

Brakes and tyres need to be legal when the car is returned, which is why leasing for two years makes more sense than three.

You are advising people to spunk £12,000 on a car with no guarantee that it wont need major repairs, just a hope and prayer. Since we are trading stories a friend of mine had to shell out for a new engine at a cost of £12,000 (eventually reduced to £6,000 when the manufacturer paid half ex gratia) on a five year old car recently. It was a Mercedes E class. Perfect.

Psst. No -one is talking about leasing a Mercedes. Try to focus.

To repeat. If someone has £4,000 of damage done to their car it is covered by insurance, regardless of whether its a lease or owned, its an irrelevant point.

Brakes and tyres need to be legal when the car is returned, which is why leasing for two years makes more sense than three.

You are advising people to spunk £12,000 on a car with no guarantee that it wont need major repairs, just a hope and prayer. Since we are trading stories a friend of mine had to shell out for a new engine at a cost of £12,000 (eventually reduced to £6,000 when the manufacturer paid half ex gratia) on a five year old car recently. It was a Mercedes E class. Perfect.

Sounds like he's as good at checking cars over as you are at giving fiscal advice.

'Personally I wouldnt buy a car of that age, more cost effective to lease imo.' This only works for certain car brands does it, as this statement seemed to be a catch-all.

Also, who's talking about 5 year old cars? Surely it was covered under the warranty that he took out. A hope and a prayer? We're talking a two year old car which will be covered in year one by a manufacturers warranty, and then an additional warranty that you added above? Not sure that you've made any point there.

Sounds like he's as good at checking cars over as you are at giving fiscal advice.

'Personally I wouldnt buy a car of that age, more cost effective to lease imo.' This only works for certain car brands does it, as this statement seemed to be a catch-all.

Hes not the one who bought a house in Chertsey that needed shed load of work and still hasnt increased in value :lol:

Leasing is best if choose whatever is cheap at the time rather than choosing a specific car and seeking to lease it. Manufacturers have certain numbers they need to sell to match production schedules, to get in Top 10 charts or just to clear a car before the new model is launched. The price of leasing the same car and model can vary wildly throughout the year. This time last year Ford Kuga Titanium Xs were being pushed out at £170pm inc VAT, much, much less than lesser spec models like Zetec were being leased for. The old model Mercedes E class 220 blue motion were around £220 if my memory serves me correctly.

Hes not the one who bought a house in Chertsey that needed shed load of work and still hasnt increased in value :lol:

Leasing is best if choose whatever is cheap at the time rather than choosing a specific car and seeking to lease it. Manufacturers have certain numbers they need to sell to match production schedules, to get in Top 10 charts or just to clear a car before the new model is launched. The price of leasing the same car and model can vary wildly throughout the year. This time last year Ford Kuga Titanium Xs were being pushed out at £170pm inc VAT, much, much less than lesser spec models like Zetec were being leased for. The old model Mercedes E class 220 blue motion were around £220 if my memory serves me correctly.

Blimey, you really are clueless if you think we haven't made money on it! We've remortgaged at £275k more than the purchase price, now on a 50% LTV. Pretty much slashed a third of our mortgage payments, lovely stuff!

As we know from previous interactions, you're a compulsive liar who tries to denigrate other peoples arguments by lying. This is the issue I have with you giving this advice, as we never know when you're telling the truth or not.