Saints are 'increasingly hopeful' on Victor Wanyana signing a new deal

Saint-Armstrong

Except Romeu is far more attacking than Victor. He gets into good positions, gets into the box and has a goal threat so arguably is actually more mobile than Victor and a better option for playing attacking football.

In the same way as playing Long at left back would be the better option for attacking football!

He's great when he's trying, which is less often than we'd like. Can't pass for toffee and missed a lot through suspension.

Not that fussed if he goes, we can afford a good replacement with the TV deal who will hopefully actually want to be here...

err no we are discussing which of two DMs is better for attacking football not playing a striker out of position........:mcinnes:

My point being that attacking is all well and good, but defensive players need to defend. Wanyama is a better defending than Romeu, or any of our midfielders, or indeed most midfielders in the league.

err no we are discussing which of two DMs is better for attacking football not playing a striker out of position........:mcinnes:

I actually was meaning if you are going to play an attacking style you need quality defensive mids who are mobile to cover defensively and win duels.

The point being the team is attacking so relies on the DM to keep the team solid and prevent counter attacks.

Wanyama much better at that than any other CM we have. Schneiderlin's mobility was also a great asset which we no longer have hence we have conceded the most goals from counter attacks in the PL according to Opta as our full backs play quite high and the central midfielders are quite slow. Wanyama wins far more duels/headers than Romeu or Clasie do. Clasie is easily taken out the game when taken on and Romeu not very agile and slow to turn.

Edited by Saint Charlie

He's great when he's trying, which is less often than we'd like. Can't pass for toffee and missed a lot through suspension.

Not that fussed if he goes, we can afford a good replacement with the TV deal who will hopefully actually want to be here...

I think this seasons suspensions is more of an odd occurrence than something we would have to fear every season. Yes we can find a better passer of the ball but then we i would most likely loose in other aspects that is vital for a DM. Wanyama would be a huge loss and difficult to replace to believe something else would be rather naive IMO..

I think this seasons suspensions is more of an odd occurrence than something we would have to fear every season. Yes we can find a better passer of the ball but then we i would most likely loose in other aspects that is vital for a DM. Wanyama would be a huge loss and difficult to replace to believe something else would be rather naive IMO..

Not as naive as believing he isn't going this summer. People wringing their hands and prophesising doom if Victor leaves might as well just get used to the fact he is leaving and has been desperate to leave ever since mopo walked out the door.

Yep. I think most know he's off and understand if someone won't sign a contract it makes sense, especially if they seem to be lacking commitment and form has dipped.

But when he does go I imagine we'll get endless threads going over all the same old crap and people, or at least Alpine somehow shocked it has happened.

I'm looking foward to the "Wanyama-sized hole" comments :rolleyes:

Really not convinced anyone will come in with a serious offer for Vic anyway this Summer. Last year he was wanted. Arsenal would not go for him, and Spuds don't need him. Who else? Same with Mane in my opinion, their chance was last year and I don't see anyone seriously looking to take either off our hands this summer, at least not for what we would accept.

Really not convinced anyone will come in with a serious offer for Vic anyway this Summer. Last year he was wanted. Arsenal would not go for him, and Spuds don't need him. Who else? Same with Mane in my opinion, their chance was last year and I don't see anyone seriously looking to take either off our hands this summer, at least not for what we would accept.

they dont need to make a serious offer. we will be lucky to get what we paid for him

We will sell Vic, I reckon for £14m to Spurs- that would be my bet on club and price.

Levy to offer more than we paid for him when he is going into the last year of his contract. I doubt it

After last year's late-in-the-window paltry offer from Levy, and the subsequent unsettling of Vic, I hope we tell them to get stuffed.

Wanyama would be a good purchase for Spurs to compete with Dier.

He is still young, has proven he can fit the style and will likely cost between 12-15m (far less than Stoke paid for a relatively unproven Imbula).

A bargain really for a proven but still young PL player in a difficult position to recruit for.

Spurs were keen under a year ago so I doubt will have totally binned off the idea and they know his contract situation and their form this year and CL qualification will only strengthen their hand.

They won't sign him, he can't pass.

I think he's one of those players that can pass when he has no time to think about it, when given time he is poor. Noticed that in Liverpool's Sahko as well in the derby so many brilliant one touch passes by him in that game, yet when he's given time he's like a deer in headlights. Much like Victor.

I think he's one of those players that can pass when he has no time to think about it, when given time he is poor. Noticed that in Liverpool's Sahko as well in the derby so many brilliant one touch passes by him in that game, yet when he's given time he's like a deer in headlights. Much like Victor.

Sakho is the epitome of a one touch player. Ask him to make a tackle, a header or a clearance and he's the man for the job. Ask him to control the ball, then bring it out from the back like VvD does occasionally, and he looks like Bambi on ice. VW's strength and willingness to take a ball while under pressure means he can hold off a player while getting a ball under control and then make a simple pass. He's go much more about him than Sakho.