The Running Thread

Saint Keith

Anyone got any advice for me. I can run barely 1000 metres before my right calf starts to stiffen up.

Could it be something to do with uneven pavements. I stretch before I start, so I know it's not that.

Run more! I used to get this and just ran through it... calves sorted themselves out after a few weeks of aching and strengthening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case people don't know the Southampton marathon or half route has changed.

The first change is the direction, it has now been reversed. So you now head up London road to the common (in a round about way) on a new route.

Burgess road down through Woodmill has been removed and replaced with a run through the university, Portswood, St Denys then into Riverside Park.

So the Itchen bridge is the big hill at the end of either the half or full marathon.

http://www.abpsouthamptonhalf.co.uk/event-info/abp-marathon-sign-up-for-2017/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Spoke too soon. 2 days after that post I was on crutches with sprained ankle ligaments.

Anyway, recovered with some professional help, kept cardio up with biking and swimming, and managed to do Reading Half.

Feel I am short for Southampton with 2x half marathons and 1x25km in the tank with two more long runs planned before a two week taper.

• 1 month later...

Managed Southampton Half in 1:49, which I was happy with considering I only had 2 weeks training due to knee injury.

Only have the Great South Run planed for the rest of this year, hoping to complete sub 1:15.

• 9 months later...
Bit of a bump.

Signed up for Reading Half and will take a view on Southampton Marathon having failed to get in for London again.

Been training ok this year.

I'm running Manchester marathon again beginning of April. Training been going ok but plenty of terrible weather has been testing my sanity/motivation.

Second 20 miler of the campaign tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

I see London marathon have shafted many who ran Brighton and Manchester by moving the goal posts for good for age entry.

Annoying as I wasn't in PB shape so ran for GFA at Manchester in 3:11. V40-44 now 3:05 so I miss out unless I run another time in next few months (unlikely).

So I'll enter Manchester again as a spring race instead. All those golden bond places do bring in the dosh I suppose.