Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Running Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    You must be close to going sub-40 if you can do 42:33 while zig-zagging through slower runners!

Speedy!
    Yeah, that's the plan... PB has come down by nearly 2 mins since Oct last year so I seem to be peaking for the 10km distance. Got 3x 10km events lined up over the next 2 months but none are PB territory (first is on gravel off-road, second is a massively hilly route which ends on a farm track and third is unknown to me but from what I've been told it's twisty). Next decent course I've got in mind is Southend Classic which is 100% flat BUT the same day as the Bournemouth Mara I'm debating doing.

Anyone got anything booked for this weekend?

Southend Half for me on Sunday. Pretty flat course it seems (in/out loop based) so could be good PB territory if I can get round the first half in a decent time. Current PB is 1:34 so will have to go some to do that.

Anyone got any advice for me. I can run barely 1000 metres before my right calf starts to stiffen up.

Could it be something to do with uneven pavements. I stretch before I start, so I know it's not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post
    Anyone got any advice for me. I can run barely 1000 metres before my right calf starts to stiffen up.

Could it be something to do with uneven pavements. I stretch before I start, so I know it's not that.
    Have you tried not stretching before you start, but spend 5 mins warming up with star jumps, squats, spot running, windmills? I've never stretched before a run as my legs can't take it, they ache like hell after a few minutes if I do. I stretch out afterwards, after a 10 min warm down.

Also, obviously have you checked over your shoes? Do you have over pronation and are running in neutral shoes? Heel warn down and making you stress the muscle in a certain way?

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
    Have you tried not stretching before you start, but spend 5 mins warming up with star jumps, squats, spot running, windmills? I've never stretched before a run as my legs can't take it, they ache like hell after a few minutes if I do. I stretch out afterwards, after a 10 min warm down.

Also, obviously have you checked over your shoes? Do you have over pronation and are running in neutral shoes? Heel warn down and making you stress the muscle in a certain way?
    Bloody hell, if I did that 5 minute warm-up, I'd be too knackered to run.

Thanks for the advice though. If I'm serious about running, I should get some shoes fitted. Rather than wear the 15 specials from Sports Slave Direct!

Bloody hell, if I did that 5 minute warm-up, I'd be too knackered to run.

Thanks for the advice though. If I'm serious about running, I should get some shoes fitted. Rather than wear the 15 specials from Sports Slave Direct!
    Ah yes, that might well be it!

Anyone got anything booked for this weekend?

Southend Half for me on Sunday. Pretty flat course it seems (in/out loop based) so could be good PB territory if I can get round the first half in a decent time. Current PB is 1:34 so will have to go some to do that.
    Didn't make the Southend Half due to a waste of space train service which left me stranded for over and hour and then cancelled every train. So I ended up running home and booking a last minute place on a local 10km. Off road, 43 mins and a top 8 place. That'll do.

Just back from the Swansea half. Went down yesterday to watch the Wales game on home soil! Managed to get round in 1:57:27 which was a PB for my mate so we were very happy with that. It's a great event and a very flat scenic route. I'll definitely be back next year.

Who'll be doing the 2017 Southampton Marathon then?

Glad they're finally doing it but fcked off it's the same day as the London marathon. Not sure which I'll do now.

Anyone in any events soon? After the London marathon my injury has taken ages to mend. Still not managed even 10k since then but eager to get back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

Glad they're finally doing it but fcked off it's the same day as the London marathon. Not sure which I'll do now.

Anyone in any events soon? After the London marathon my injury has taken ages to mend. Still not managed even 10k since then but eager to get back out there.
    What's the Southampton Marathon route going to be then? Is it as before? Oh the joys of Burgess Road after 20 odd miles.
    So mid/end of April'ish, they might persaude me to take up the halter again actually.

I'm in, for sure! Shame if you already have a place for London, but doing a home Marathon has to be special doesn't it???

I've got nothing booked in at the moment, but want something longish for October/November time just haven't found the right event yet :-(

I'm doing it.. I'm going to regret it. First one since The birth of my daughter. I've done Brighton, Bournemouth and............ Luton before (seriously). Not going to do any running before Christmas now, I want to be chomping at the bit for the training.

I would do Southampton but looks like it's a double loop marathon. Will be incredibly boring! Shame, they could have come up with a far better route. If they want to vaguely compete with the big marathons they need a full course.

14. Default

sounds like you boys are chugging along nicely. I've been sidelined by a torn hamstring (football injury) and then piriformis syndrome all summer. Have been ramping it up gently and indoor football starts next week. Hoping to get back to racing soon (although I was able to transfer from HM to 5km in a recent race and clocked a decent 24:46).

Going to shelve marathons for now and stick to shorter distances and playing football.

I'd do Southampton if it wasn't a double loop... I've got no interest in running the same course twice to make up the distance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Run more! I used to get this and just ran through it... calves sorted themselves out after a few weeks of aching and strengthening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have signed up for Southampton Marathon after failing to get into London on the ballot. My first attempt at that distance. Aiming for sub 4 hours. Base training up until Christmas and the programme focuses in on 23rd April.

Just in case people don't know the Southampton marathon or half route has changed.
    The first change is the direction, it has now been reversed. So you now head up London road to the common (in a round about way) on a new route.
    Burgess road down through Woodmill has been removed and replaced with a run through the university, Portswood, St Denys then into Riverside Park.

So the Itchen bridge is the big hill at the end of either the half or full marathon.

http://www.abpsouthamptonhalf.co.uk/...n-up-for-2017/

Prep going ok for Southampton Marathon. Have Reading Half booked in as a training run as well.

Spoke too soon. 2 days after that post I was on crutches with sprained ankle ligaments.

Anyway, recovered with some professional help, kept cardio up with biking and swimming, and managed to do Reading Half.

Feel I am short for Southampton with 2x half marathons and 1x25km in the tank with two more long runs planned before a two week taper.

Managed Southampton in under my target of 4 hours. In for London ballot now!

Managed Southampton Half in 1:49, which I was happy with considering I only had 2 weeks training due to knee injury.

Only have the Great South Run planed for the rest of this year, hoping to complete sub 1:15.

Bit of a bump.

Signed up for Reading Half and will take a view on Southampton Marathon having failed to get in for London again.

Been training ok this year.

Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    Bit of a bump.

Signed up for Reading Half and will take a view on Southampton Marathon having failed to get in for London again.

Been training ok this year.
    I'm running Manchester marathon again beginning of April. Training been going ok but plenty of terrible weather has been testing my sanity/motivation.

Second 20 miler of the campaign tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to it.

Did my first marathon at Rutland Water in September. Managed 3:53 so was very happy as an old codger of 53! Now got a few halfs booked and managing to maintain 30 miles a week to maintain my fitness level. Just love running.

Second 20 miler done and dusted. Was far more enjoyable and felt stronger than last week. Had an easier week in terms of overall mileage as work/family stuff took precedence so only 40 miles.

3rd 20 miler done in the beautiful New Forest. Up at the crack of dawn as driving back North after weekend with folks.

Todays run was 13 minutes faster than 3 weeks ago so moving in the right direction.

Anyone running London this year?

29. Default

Anyone running London this year?
    Sadiq Khan?

Quote Originally Posted by Lets B Avenue View Post
    Sadiq Khan?
    Very good.

In case anyone wants to sponsor a Saints fan running in the London Marathon this year hit the url and donate https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fun...3430&pageUrl=1

I see London marathon have shafted many who ran Brighton and Manchester by moving the goal posts for good for age entry.

Annoying as I wasn't in PB shape so ran for GFA at Manchester in 3:11. V40-44 now 3:05 so I miss out unless I run another time in next few months (unlikely).

So I'll enter Manchester again as a spring race instead. All those golden bond places do bring in the dosh I suppose.

Brutal conditions today in London. Huge well done to anybody on here who ran.