The Oscars

Guided Missile

Serious question, not being a film buff in the slightest, but were any black actors/actresses "unfairly" overlooked? It's one thing not having any black actors if they deserve to be there, but another if they haven't cut the mustard.
I thought Bill Cosby deserved a look in. Playing a decent human being must have been a real stretch.

Serious question, not being a film buff in the slightest, but were any black actors/actresses "unfairly" overlooked? It's one thing not having any black actors if they deserve to be there, but another if they haven't cut the mustard.

You could have made a case for idris Elba and straight outta Compton in best film but I wouldn't say there were any real glaring omissions. Spike Lee does like a good rant about racism though (see his comments about django - a film he hadn't even seen.)

I have decided to complain about the MOBO awards. Not a single white person has ever been nominated.

Apart from all those white people who have been nominated and won awards. Like Sam Smith. And all the others. The endless list.

What a tool.

Dumb OP, but I think the controversy is purely because Will Smith got overlooked for Concussion and Straight Outta Compton for Best Picture.

The Oscars have always been predominantly White, I don't understand why the last two years have caused anymore controversy than normal really.

They would have a stronger argument if they could come forward with names of black actors who they think should have been nominated and why. Perhaps they have done and I have missed it? They could always hold there own version of the Oscars if they are that bothered. I do think that the Oscars should be decided on a vote by the cinema going public though. Some of the films and performances that have been ignored over the years has been a joke.

Will Smith in Concussion although no idea if any good

pretty average movie and dare I say it a very average performance from Will Smith. I'd of been tempted to include the movie Dope and its star Shameik Moore. Both were excellent. Straight out of Compton was entertaining, but not sure anyone stood out actor wise in that movie.

• 6 years later...

Well WALOB all this stuff is about Chris Rock, Will Smith. Blatently staged, A guy of Will Smiths size gives someone a right handed on the jaw and the guy didn't even flinch. Still it's got everyone very excited and talking about them which is the whole point. 

Not sure it was staged in that there is no reason one of the biggest stars in the world would set himself up to swear on national TV  (which is a pretty big thing still in the US) and generally make himself look like a prick on what was potentially one of the biggest nights of his career.

The "hit" looked worse that it probably was: it felt a bit over-reacted to but I think probably a bit of a shock as much as anything. Rock was clearly thrown by it all.

Edited by CB Fry

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Can't believe people think this was real to be honest, the acting was so shockingly bad (not surprised given the two participants).

My thoughts initially. He laughed at first although she didn’t seem to be amused. The walk up to the stage and the slap looked very theatrical but when he sat back down and shouted abuse, that looked to be genuine. Seems odd he was allowed back up to receive an award after going “full Clarkson” on the host. Probably just as well Ricky Gervais wasn’t doing it. 

17 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

My thoughts initially. He laughed at first although she didn’t seem to be amused. The walk up to the stage and the slap looked very theatrical but when he sat back down and shouted abuse, that looked to be genuine. Seems odd he was allowed back up to receive an award after going “full Clarkson” on the host. Probably just as well Ricky Gervais wasn’t doing it. 

He was clearly under the infuence. You could see that from his tearful, rambling speech.  Just as well he has colour on his side, or he'd never act in Hollywood again after that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plastic said:

Agree with this, didn't look fake to me. Especially in the 'unedited' version (link). Looks pretty awkward for all involved. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2022/mar/28/will-smith-apologises-after-slapping-chris-rock-during-oscars-ceremony-video

Yep, that wasn't fake. Looked it at first, but he had nothing to gain from staging it and then swearing on live. Plus, that speech was from the heart of someone who lost the plot in the moment, and regretted it. 

Edited by egg

Amusing to watch. Rock does a good job to roll with it at first but then becomes flustered by the further heckling. Don’t see how anyone could consider it staged.

Smith’s clearly a talented actor but seems a very odd guy. So way this played out just adds to that feeling that he’s Become a figure of mockery.

Curious to see if they punish him at all. Seems like they should but you doubt they’d have the bravery to do so.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Don’t blame Smith, fair play for having the nuts to wack him live on TV in front of millions. Alopecia can’t be a nice thing for a woman to go through.

Seriously, you’re condoning someone responding to jokes with physical violence? I don’t care what he said, Smith’s response was inexcusable. Lots of things in life are upsetting but if we start assaulting anyone who makes jokes about them, that leads to a very dark place.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Seriously, you’re condoning someone responding to jokes with physical violence? I don’t care what he said, Smith’s response was inexcusable. Lots of things in life are upsetting but if we start assaulting anyone who makes jokes about them, that leads to a very dark place.

Na bollocks, sometimes people need to be slapped. I absolutely condone it.

46 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If you watch his wife she is clearly not impressed by Rock’s comments.

Well yes her reaction is what prompted his change in reaction. 

Not as if anyone going to or watching should be shocked that hosts are going to make jokes about celebrities present or not present.