Royal Oak - Southampton - Shut

Rut

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14215451.Drinkers__disappointed__as_pub_suddenly_shuts/

Always thought this was still a popular place? I suppose it is getting sold off for flats...

Like that the 'some bloke nicked a urinal' incident makes the story. I was actually in there that evening when that happened (no it wasn't me). Bloke came in with a rucksack. Ordered a half. Went to the bog. Unscrewed the urinal from the wall - put it is his rucksack and had it away out of the side door onto Kingsway.

Someone noticed it had gone and the staff checked the CCTV. Nobody could quite believe that he actually did nick a used pub urinal. The landlord was a bit PO'ed at the time but the story made the national press and the pub ended up with a lot of free publicity because of it.

I said 'made the national press' - that is a bit of an understatement actually.

Google 'royal oak southampton urinal' and there are hits from all over the world. Reuters, BBC, NBC USA, ABC Australia etc etc. Didn't realise our criminal mastermind (he even dusted his prints off of the door handle) got quite so famous...

The best stories always happen down the pub. Or used to anyway.

Most people have a pub near them that they've never ever been in for one reason or another, and the Royal Oak is mine. Shame as it sounds like it was a decent boozer at times. Sounds like the writing has been on the wall for a while due to plans for student housing.

Can't read it, the Echo appears to have an ad-blocker blocker. Well, it's worth a try, but I just won't go to their site any more and we'll see how much "advertising funds local journalism" then.

I don't even have an ad blocker on and I still get the same message.