Matt Oakley

Lighthouse

Has just put in 64 minutes at Anfield. Fair play, he's still playing at the ripe old age of 38. What's your favourite memory of him?

Mine is his goal against the skates in the cup. Kostas Chalkias on his Pompey debut was just stood there like a statue, watching it fly in.

One of favourite players, not liked by all but if you think that evey manager we had (and that was a lot then) played him all the time.

That's how good he was in my opinion

The fact that we struggled to have anyone decent in centre midfield for years, after he got injured - shows how good/consistent he was. It took til League 1 and Morgan/Hammond to get a similar consistency in that position.

As others have said - Millwall away in the cup. Remember my cousin shouting at me as we celebrated his second goal that "this is the kind of result that gets you to a final".

He was a classy operator who would probably get a lot more recognition if he was in his prime now than when he was playing at the top of his game 12 or so years ago. Under Strachan, i remember there was talk of an England call up - i'd put it out there to say Roy would have capped him already if he was around now.

Has just put in 64 minutes at Anfield. Fair play, he's still playing at the ripe old age of 38. What's your favourite memory of him?

Mine is his goal against the skates in the cup. Kostas Chalkias on his Pompey debut was just stood there like a statue, watching it fly in.

That time I said he was England's best central midfielder, circa 1998. :(

So Steven Davis is the modern equivalent of Oakley, yes? :lol:

Different players. Davis is an energetic box-to-box type player, would be worth a ton if he could finish. Matt didn't get forward as much as played deeper for us - although when he did score you had to pay attention as they were usually goal of the month contenders. Derby used him in a more advanced role and key in getting them promotion. Started on the right and gradually became a CM, Souness used to say his diet and focus were issues but Hoddle and then WGS got him fitter and to his best. Sometimes took flak for not being much of a tackler and could be lightweight earlier in his career when screening the back 4 so at his best with a more robust partner - him and Anders were a bit of soft touch at times when partnered together. Sad that what looked like a minor injury he walked off with v Boro at home ended both our and golden period under WGS.

Some of the goals were memorable: Skates 30 yard beauty at home (the You Tube video behind the goal and celebrations are worth tracking down...) FA Cup, Derby home (drilled swerving 20 yard volley first time which sent them down), Palace away 30 yarder in off the bar, Millwall away in the cup as mentioned and one that doesn't get mentioned on here, Hull home where he flicked up a free kick and volleyed in superbly - it was worthy of MLT. Norwich home was another high quality drilled finish first time in that 4-3 epic.

Did a goal line clearance at Newcastle 01/05/01 just after Pahars had equalized for us where the ball got smashed at him

from point-blank range and he went flying into the back of the net - but the ball stayed out. Anyone remember it?

(You don't see it on this - but the game was on Sky)

This one?

This. Under-rated by a lot of fans but not his peers.

Not so much under-rated as misunderstood by some "supporters" who couldn't or wouldn't understand his role in the team and thought he was crap because he didn't score loads of goals. People without the insight to see how important he was to the team and how he did it without being spectacular. One of our best ever midfielders, very badly treated by George ****ing Burley, one of our worst ever managers.

Not so much under-rated as misunderstood by some "supporters" who couldn't or wouldn't understand his role in the team and thought he was crap because he didn't score loads of goals. People without the insight to see how important he was to the team and how he did it without being spectacular. One of our best ever midfielders, very badly treated by George ****ing Burley, one of our worst ever managers.

can only echo that Vectis.

A really genuine player who always put in a shift. Got ACL problem in 2003 (?) and was in and out of the team for 2-3 years.

When George Burley offered him a one year contract...he refused and left three weeks later on a free transfer to Derby. ....and later moved on to Leicester.

Has surely passed 600 games by now, and he managed over 250 of those in his 12 years with Saints.

can only echo that Vectis.

A really genuine player who always put in a shift. Got ACL problem in 2003 (?) and was in and out of the team for 2-3 years.

When George Burley offered him a one year contract...he refused and left three weeks later on a free transfer to Derby. ....and later moved on to Leicester.

Has surely passed 600 games by now, and he managed over 250 of those in his 12 years with Saints.

Bit strange how that came about though. I think he decided to leave us, and a manager who didn't appreciate him, for one that did, Hoddle at Wolves. Hoddle left Wolves at the end of their season, and with that he joined Derby, and the poison dwarf who managed them at the time Billy Davies. Oakley had the last laugh on us captaining them and beating us in the play-offs. Although Derby were awful once promoted, at least Oakley ahd made it abck to the top some years before we did.