• Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Austin

Didn't watch MOTD, but I have no problem with them focussing on United.

They really were terrible, and with a better performance we wouldn't have needed a last minute set piece goal. This wasn't like last season, where we had to scrap for every touch of the ball. We had to stay solid when they did come at us (and we were very good) but it didn't take a masterclass.

We'd all rather watch a big club playing badly than a midtable club playing pretty well and getting a result.

Agree with this, last season it felt we earned the victory through an incredible defensive performance. Even though our goal was later this season, and we probably didn't look as threatening going forward, defensively we seemed pretty comfortable, which you never really expect at Old Trafford.

Just having a read through the post-match thread on redcafe. If you think this forum is full of bedwetting drama queens, go and have a read of United's...

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/post-match-manchester-united-vs-southampton.413832/

These are a couple of the best quotes I have found so far...

"Schneiderlin looks half the player he did at Southampton. "

Let's buy him back for 12.5 million then.

Behave Tadic's role is not to run around like a headless Chicken but to create chances which his does.

Remind me, who has the headless chicken role for Southampton?

Edited by Redslo

Mane is not the answer for Man United. I really wish that he realises that Southampton is his level.

He has incredible feet and speed, but at the moment his lack of confidence means we fail to capitalise on good attacking opportunities.

Make no mistake this was a phenomenal performance, in that we limited Man United to one shot on goal in the entire match.

It wasn't that they were so bad, but a measure of how well we pressed and fought for every ball.

Wanyama was at the heart of our solidity and whilst Clasie was also excellent, Wanyama did it for 90 minutes and had to be man of the match.

Man of the match for me... The saints fans... I was 'lucky' enough to be in a box in the Alex Ferguson stand... But not allowed to celebrate given surrounded by Man U fans. OT was so quiet... I know OT was pretty quiet, but could constantly hear the Saints fans....Charlie Austin's goal was almost surpassed (it wasn't)... By being able to hear the 'Who the F*** are man Utd' all the way round the ground!

This.

Typical motd ****e. Saints merely a footnote. It's all about the glory clubs, look at Leicester they're top of the table and still getting

patronised. F*** the beeb.

It's not just the bbc. I bet there won't be many newspaper or online headlines this morning about how great Saints were, they'll all be about lvg and a poor utd performance. I guess a few of them might highlight charlie austins debut goal, if we're lucky.

It's not just the bbc. I bet there won't be many newspaper or online headlines this morning about how great Saints were, they'll all be about lvg and a poor utd performance. I guess a few of them might highlight charlie austins debut goal, if we're lucky.

Because we weren't great. We were solid defensively but as Koeman rightly pointed out, our attacking play was very average. With 10 minutes to go I was irritated because I could see how awful United were but it didn't look as if we would punish them for it. thankfully Austin got us the goal and we won, but we have played much better than that this season and lost.

the story of the game WAS just how appalling Man Utd are at the moment, despite spending obscene amounts of money

Mane is not the answer for Man United. I really wish that he realises that Southampton is his level.

He has incredible feet and speed, but at the moment his lack of confidence means we fail to capitalise on good attacking opportunities.

Make no mistake this was a phenomenal performance, in that we limited Man United to one shot on goal in the entire match.

It wasn't that they were so bad, but a measure of how well we pressed and fought for every ball.

Wanyama was at the heart of our solidity and whilst Clasie was also excellent, Wanyama did it for 90 minutes and had to be man of the match.

it really was not. We never had to play that well to win. very good defensively, granted

Because we weren't great. We were solid defensively but as Koeman rightly pointed out, our attacking play was very average. With 10 minutes to go I was irritated because I could see how awful United were but it didn't look as if we would punish them for it. thankfully Austin got us the goal and we won, but we have played much better than that this season and lost.

the story of the game WAS just how appalling Man Utd are at the moment, despite spending obscene amounts of money

I know. I was pointing out that there's no reason to vilify the bbc for saying exactly that, it's what happened and they reported fairly on motd.

dont be a ****. the story of the game was clearly austin sciring on his debut with his second touch.

Yeah MOTD was pathetic.

At least it highlighted the shirt pulling and wrestling by Manure defenders time after time and they got away with it.As far as the actual report on Saints are you surprised? I don't care what MOTD overpaid pundits say,we beat the Mancs and they don’t like it.

Where van Gaal got it wrong and Koeman won - was the willingness to change formation. We look a totally different side with the changed formation.

However this came about - it works. 3-5-2 makes sense as you don't need a " permanent back four " when attacks can only come from one side of play at a time.

The new wing backs simply revert to a defensive role - when the run of play requires it.

On paper MU have some of the best players in Europe. Aside from Charlie's " Roy of the Rovers " contribution, we have the same squad but look a totally different outfit.

If we can work this again - against Arsenal - I'll be totally convinced.

This last 10 days have been a total revelation. Matt Targett is a genuine threat on the left, and JWP finally proved that he can DAJFU. Clasie begins to look real quality.

Edited by david in sweden

However far MUFC fall from their peak under Ferguson, the sheer unadulterated joy at seeing our little club beat them - and by extension give all their irremediably plastic fans everywhere something to think about - will for me never fade.

It won't last for ever of course because sooner or later that hugely wealthy club will throw so much money at the problem that they're almost bound to buy a level of sustained success. But it still feels ferking great this morning methinks.

At least it highlighted the shirt pulling and wrestling by Manure defenders time after time and they got away with it.As far as the actual report on Saints are you surprised? I don't care what MOTD overpaid pundits say,we beat the Mancs and they don’t like it.

When we were last seasons leicester they were all for us, iirc.

I'm a grown man but i was close to crying when Austin scored.....i so hate United and their plastic fans who believe they have a divine right to beat everyone!

You've obviously never met a Liverpool fan then.

Worse than them though are the West Ham fans who were saying 'we shouldn't be losing to small carp team's like southampton' when we mashed them at Upton park last season at least United and Liverpool have pedigree & history on their side.

Where van Gaal got it wrong and Koeman won - was the willingness to change formation. We look a totally different side with the changed formation.

However this came about - it works. 3-5-2 makes sense as you don't need a " permanent back four " when attacks can only come from one side of play at a time.

The new wing backs simply revert to a defensive role - when the run of play requires it.

On paper MU have some of the best players in Europe. Aside from Charlie's " Roy of the Rovers " contribution, we have the same squad but look a totally different outfit.

If we can work this again - against Arsenal - I'll be totally convinced.

This last 10 days have been a total revelation. Matt Targett is a genuine threat on the left, and JWP finally proved that he can DAJFU. Clasie begins to look real quality.

Great summary

it really was not. We never had to play that well to win. very good defensively, granted

Please read the entire sentence and then by all means give your opinion on that.

AD said that it was a phenomenal performance in that we limited them to one shot on goal in the entire match.

Do you disagree?

Do you think Smalling managed to get VvD's shirt after the game, he certainly wanted it during the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice to think that having seen post-match video evidence of this form of cheating, that the FA would grow a pair and issue an edict to referees that it isn't acceptable and that in future more stringent action will be taken to stamp it out, with punishment meted out after the match if not seen during the match. I won't hold my breath though, especially when we are talking about the serial offender being an England defender playing for the biggest glory club at Old Trafford.

It would be nice to think that having seen post-match video evidence of this form of cheating, that the FA would grow a pair and issue an edict to referees that it isn't acceptable and that in future more stringent action will be taken to stamp it out, with punishment meted out after the match if not seen during the match. I won't hold my breath though, especially when we are talking about the serial offender being an England defender playing for the biggest glory club at Old Trafford.

Retrospective action is needed. What shall we go for, a one match ban?

Retrospective action is needed. What shall we go for, a one match ban?

That seems reasonable to me. It would not be as effective as a referee having the balls to award a penalty during the match, but it would otherwise be an effective retribution that would get the message across. Otherwise, make the players wear mittens and that way they won't be able to grab a handful of shirt. ;)

The shirt-pulling by Smalling justified at least two penalties. As a tactic that is clearly being condoned, maybe even encouraged , by coaches it is long overdue time for the FA to take action. Players should not have to fall to the ground to draw attention to an act that is blatant obstruction and impeding of an opponent.

The shirt-pulling by Smalling justified at least two penalties. As a tactic that is clearly being condoned, maybe even encouraged , by coaches it is long overdue time for the FA to take action. Players should not have to fall to the ground to draw attention to an act that is blatant obstruction and impeding of an opponent.

It was the same last season - he was constantly grabbing Pelle in the box - I should think Fonte would have had pointed it out to the ref (if Rooney can be in the referee's face every five minutes....)

Edited by markr27

Seriously, can someone tell me what constitutes a penalty from corners? I genuinely don't know anymore.

There was a moment in the match commentary when the 'tater said "That would be a foul in any other part of the pitch". When did they change the rules for play within the penalty area ?

There was a moment in the match commentary when the 'tater said "That would be a foul in any other part of the pitch". When did they change the rules for play within the penalty area ?

agree. Generally, the officials have been poor AGAIN this season

Just seen some bizarre decisions during the WBA/Villa game on Goals on Sunday

Lineker is always has a good word to say about us and Shearer is always positive.

Lineker always has a good word to say about us and Shearer is always positive.

Very true SOG but I wonder who the fans can count on to highlight the shirt-pulling. The MotD commentator referred to Smalling's behaviour, twice I think, but the studio broadcast discussion did not. Whether Saints will include it in their report on the referee might be questionable as there may have been occasions when our own players have done the same thing. But whether or not our players do shirt-pull, the problem needs to be brought out and stamped on. As a serial offender, Smalling would be a very good place to start. Maybe the Echo should have a go, or some of us should e-mail the Echo.

If anyone can recall Rickie Lamberts shirt ripped from the V neck to half way down his chest from where Vidic was stuck to him like a magnet, the night we battered United and Fergie was very complimentary, then we should all know that shirt pulling in the box at OT is a perfectly acceptable part of the game, as long as the puller has a Red shirt on.

I wish I could find the piece about a team, might be in South America, who's main strikers shirt was made out of that woven paper those cheap disposable boiler suits are made of, simply because every time they played against a certain opposition one of the defenders habitually got away with blatant shirt pulling without sanction. During the first half the strikers shirt was reduced to tatters and the ref actually booked him for not being suitably attired. Half time the manager went and had a word with the ref for being so stupid, second half striker, wearing a new paper shirt, in the box goes for the ball and the back of his shirt departs the rest of it, and the defender is caught standing there with the shirt in his hand, penalty given against him, stupidly he did it yet again and was red carded.

At least yesterday when Jose had his shirt pulled as JWP whipped in the free kick, it stopped him getting up to the ball ahead of Charlie!