Your memories of the great Saints/ Southend love-in....

jawillwill

It was on of those strange afternoons where as the game went on even the most miserable of Saints fans realised that the Southend fans had come to party and everyone was invited. Confused the stewards too as at the final whistle and the pitch was invaded Saints fans wanted to get into the Southend fans section or get them on the pitch too, not to punch their lights out but to have a very pleasant afternoon.

The Walsall game that saw us out of League 1 was similarly strange, last game of the season again we were cruising 3-1 and the stadium announcer pipes up to give the Dagenham & Redbridge current score line that was going to keep Walsall up. Which produced a chorus of "you are staying up" from Saints fans. I always remember at the final whistle, the Saints dugout heading down the tunnel sharpish, the Walsall players collapsing on the pitch in relief and their bench running on like they had just won the FA Cup, only to be engulfed by huge wave of jubilant Saints fans.

My recollection is of their fans mirroring our 'That's why you're going down' after a wild shot with their own 'That's why we're going down' after another one :-)

The Walsall game I was working away but listening to Saints Player and hearing the relief and happiness for both teams..sad not to be there!

Spongebob and Patrick dancing up the stairs.

The whole lot of them were doing the conga towards the end of the game as I recall.

An undimmed memory of how fantastic they were but a little hazy on the details - I think they were already relegated but certainly not 'down' and didn't they take the lead?

I think it was after we beat Southend in the last game of the season to clinch a place in the play-offs a few years ago. For about the following season both sets of fans got a warm, fuzzy feeling inside when thinking of each other.

Share your memories here.

We didn't make the play-offs, and couldn't make the play-offs, finishing 7 points off them. Meanwhile, Southend were already relegated, also finishing 7 points away from safety. They'd only won twice since December 28th so I doubt they had travelled in expectation. No pressure for either side - which probably explains why I can't remember a single thing about it.

We'd blown it against Gillingham the week before (which I do remember), though it was the 0-0 with Oldham at home 2 matches before which took us out of the "likely" category. Huddersfield got the last play-off place despite losing 2 and drawing one of their last 3, and as I said, we were a further 7 behind that.

Edited by The9

We didn't make the play-offs, and couldn't make the play-offs, finishing 7 points off them. Meanwhile, Southend were already relegated, also finishing 7 points away from safety. They'd only won twice since December 28th so I doubt they had travelled in expectation. No pressure for either side - which probably explains why I can't remember a single thing about it.

We'd blown it against Gillingham the week before (which I do remember), though it was the 0-0 with Oldham at home 2 matches before which took us out of the "likely" category. Huddersfield got the last play-off place despite losing 2 and drawing one of their last 3, and as I said, we were a further 7 behind that.

youve got the wrong season, and division

Anybody remember the away Friday night game in biblical rain at Roots Hall? Notable for an outstanding performance from Morgan, probably at that time the best I'd seen him play. And for a 15 minute cameo for a young lad on the right wing who looked lively and got a decent write up from me, nowadays Premier League semi-regular Michail Antonio.[h=1][/h]

:mcinnes::mcinnes::wave:

Anybody remember the away Friday night game in biblical rain at Roots Hall? Notable for an outstanding performance from Morgan, probably at that time the best I'd seen him play. And for a 15 minute cameo for a young lad on the right wing who looked lively and got a decent write up from me, nowadays Premier League semi-regular Michail Antonio.[h=1][/h]

Was that when Neal Trotman (that his name?) GBH'd the ball into the net?

That was a great evening - a proper old school football-watching experience. Lallana got 2 and Morgan managed to get booked for diving. Think it was our first away win of the season, or the game we got out of having minus points or something.

Pretentious, Moi!!

There was a similar game against Walsall. We needed a win to go up and Walsall needed a win/ or to hope results went there way in order to stay up. In the end, we won and went up, results went their way and they stayed up. I remember (possibly even before our game finished?) the stadium announcer confirmed Walsalls safety over the tanoy. Which was an odd move, but that was a serious party atmosphere!

In related new, Sam McQueen played 20 odd mins again for Southend last night I their 2-1 win at Shrewbury. 2 games and 2 wins for him so far. Played well on his debut cameo against Coventry at Roots Hall the other weekend.

Goal for young Sam yesterday in the Essex Derby for a Shrimpers 3-0 win over ColU. In his 21st birthday too. Good lad.

Spongebob and Patrick dancing up the stairs.

That was so funny at the end. "Spongebob, give us a wave" followed by Patrick pointing at himself as if to say "my turn", but it took about a minute before anyone knew what he was called before the song went out! What a great day that was.

That was so funny at the end. "Spongebob, give us a wave" followed by Patrick pointing at himself as if to say "my turn", but it took about a minute before anyone knew what he was called before the song went out! What a great day that was.

Think someone in the post match thread called him a pink blob and he came on to correct them :lol: