Hampshire CCC 2016 Season thread.

Window Cleaner

Missing Carberry, Vince, Topley, Woods and i've of course let Briggs go. Let's face it one of the reasons we have had such success in the 20/20 in last 6 years is because we've had good players who were'nt quite good enough to called up for England, therefore we've had a stable solid squad.

I know we have injuries but it's hard to be anything but really depressed about our team this year, and especially in t20.

The worst thing is the lack of spirit. Having played a lot of cricket, the two immediate symptoms of a bad side are their fielding and running between the wickets, and we looked dreadful at both yesterday. It was noticeable how Kent were haring between the wickets for 2s and 3s and we were ambling ones. Having about 7 players 32+ doesn't help but we look beaten before taking to the field.

If you swap in Vince, Carberry, Topley and Edwards it looks like you're getting towards a decent side but years of poor recruitment have left us with a pretty thread bare squad. If Afridi or Sammy don't hit a 25 ball half century, we just won't win many games, and that's before you get to the bowling.

Perhaps we're just being greedy having been to six finals in a row but I get the same feeling with Hants as I did with Aston Villa in the Prem last year. Still, I'll be present at the Oval tonight hoping once again but expecting a Roy/Sangakkara schooling.

Team tonight must be our worst T20 XI for years.

Barely any proven T20 players and the top 6 is without one standout T20 performer.

No point spending the money for Afridi and Sammy when the rest of the side is poor.

I'm actually not too dismayed at the squad Wheater is ok, Dawson is batting well, Tino is a lottery, Afridi & Sammy are potentially explosive. Surrey have one the toss, I am slightly fearful we could be looking at 210. I'm glad Mason is in. God knows how this will go, 20/20 is such a lottery.

I'm actually not too dismayed at the squad Wheater is ok, Dawson is batting well, Tino is a lottery, Afridi & Sammy are potentially explosive. Surrey have one the toss, I am slightly fearful we could be looking at 210. I'm glad Mason is in. God knows how this will go, 20/20 is such a lottery.

Oops except Afridi isn't playing?!

Looks like Vince will soon be back.

Hoping that he isn't for 2 reasons;

1. It would mean England are going back to the bad old days of picking young players and discarding them after 3 tests. I'd hope - and believe - James will get at least the Pakistan series.

2. I wouldn't want to expose a talented player to drag himself down to Hampshire's level. At the moment, it really is like a pub side and most of the squad are not good enough for professional cricket.

Is it worth holding a trials day for the southern minor counties and clubs to find some talent? Stephenson came from Devon leagues near me and Surrey found Tim Linley that way

Going ok. Alsop looked excellent before he went.

We do have a long tail though so Ervine or Smith needs to make a ton.

Both gone in the space of 2 overs, as I was saying the target is always too great and players just can't keep up the rate without taking excessive risks, sort the bowling and the batting will sort itself.

Tonked again today. Couldn't even bat out our 20 overs and then the usual bowling performance assured yet another 1 day loss.

How can it be accepted that defending a small total Best chucks them two x 4 byes in the first over?

I remember a semi-final we lost on the last ball against Northants. I think it was 1990?. Malcolm Marshall won man of the match, but wouldn't come out to collect it as he was too upset Can't imagine Afridi or Sammy reacting the same way, but quite honestly who would expect them to. There flown in for a few games, they can't feel any attachment to the club. It all feels a bit artificial.

There's something wrong with the recruitment system and something even worse with the youth coaching system. We had exciting prospects five years ago but the young ones have gone- Briggs and Bates - Woods has not been nurtured now has long term injury. The policy of buying in expensive showmen for short periods only destroys confidence of our own. Bransgrove needs to take a lesson from Saints strategy, ah I forgot he's an admirer of the Pompey way

Our super bowling getting flayed again this morning I see. How can you go from 66-1 to 200/2 in 30 overs in a 4 day game?

This cock up on the bowling front is going to lead us to perhaps one of our worst seasons ever. Out in the pool stage of the T20, same in the Royal London one day cup and relegation in the County Championship.

Our super bowling getting flayed again this morning I see. How can you go from 66-1 to 200/2 in 30 overs in a 4 day game?

This cock up on the bowling front is going to lead us to perhaps one of our worst seasons ever. Out in the pool stage of the T20, same in the Royal London one day cup and relegation in the County Championship.

It's pathetic and Benkenstein's words about Wheater were interesting-it's clear there's a horrible feeling in camp.

We need a proper gut out-White, Benkenstein have to go at the end of the season along with 5 or 6 senior players. Recruitment has to be reviewed because it's been awful for about 5 years. Give the young players a go and hope to be back in the top tier in a few years

One of the most uninspiring looking Hampshire bowling line-ups i've ever seen. Eight of our players our over 33 years old, I think this is a record.

Good solid start by Smith and Adams though, long may it continue because given the state of Surrey and Notts finishing above them must be considered as possible if we can get a few draws with good bonus points and the odd win before the end of the season.

Good solid start by Smith and Adams though, long may it continue because given the state of Surrey and Notts finishing above them must be considered as possible if we can get a few draws with good bonus points and the odd win before the end of the season.

I'm being serious when I say this, but i'm not sure staying up would be the best thing for the club. Going down may cause the club to have a year zero approach and a complete re-think about our structure and player policy, whereas if we stay up we may just cling on to the same old players hoping to hang-in for another year. Part of me thinks that staying up last year may have been the worst thing to happen to the club. I don't know i'm a bit conflicted at the moment. if we go down then a can't imagine there would be any financial implications and at worst we may lose Vince, who we don't see anyway. I mean 8 players over 33, that not good win or lose.

I'm being serious when I say this, but i'm not sure staying up would be the best thing for the club. Going down may cause the club to have a year zero approach and a complete re-think about our structure and player policy, whereas if we stay up we may just cling on to the same old players hoping to hang-in for another year. Part of me thinks that staying up last year may have been the worst thing to happen to the club. I don't know i'm a bit conflicted at the moment. if we go down then a can't imagine there would be any financial implications and at worst we may lose Vince, who we don't see anyway. I mean 8 players over 33, that not good win or lose.

And we can't rebuild whilst remaining in the top level? We have younger players but they're injured like Topley and Wheater or are on international duty like Vince. Let's get some points on the board, get over the injury crisis and see what happens.

Probably have to write off the one days this season though, not difficult because we're off the pace in the T20 anyway and none too well placed in the Royal London.

And we can't rebuild whilst remaining in the top level? We have younger players but they're injured like Topley and Wheater or are on international duty like Vince. Let's get some points on the board, get over the injury crisis and see what happens.

Probably have to write off the one days this season though, not difficult because we're off the pace in the T20 anyway and none too well placed in the Royal London.

Wheaters actually part of today's Dad's Army! He's bring the average age down to about 39. You may be right, we may possibly be able to rebuild in the first division. Part of me just thinks if This bunch of mediocrities stays up what does it say for the state of championship cricket. Saying that there are some positive signs Alsop & Crane particularly.

It is not all doom and gloom. The undernoted have played some form of 1st team cricket this or last year and the position they will play long term.

1. Jo Weatherley (19) Batsman

2. Tom Alsop (21) Batsman

3. James Vince (25) Batsman

4. Adam Wheater (26) Batsman

5. Liam Dawson (26) All Rounder

7. Lewis McManus (22) Wk. Keeper

9. Ryan Stevenson (24) RH Bowler

10. Mason Crane (19) Leg Spin Bowler

11. Reece Topley 22 LA Bowler

12. Brad Wheal (19) RA Bowler

13 Brad Taylor (19) Off Spin Bowler

That does not include Chris Wood in view of his long term injuries. I have also included Wheater as a batsman as that is likely to be his only future with Hampshire.

Hampshire have made 28 days approaches for Varun Chopra Age 29 (Warks), Mark Stoneman 29 (Durham) & Olly Stone 22 (Northants).

Chopra and Stoneham are seasoned openers and I suspect only one out of the two would be signed if terms were agreed. Many other counties are also looking. Stone is out injured for the rest of the season http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1023733.html

Hampshire have made 28 days approaches for Varun Chopra Age 29 (Warks), Mark Stoneman 29 (Durham) & Olly Stone 22 (Northants).

Chopra and Stoneham are seasoned openers and I suspect only one out of the two would be signed if terms were agreed. Many other counties are also looking. Stone is out injured for the rest of the season http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/1023733.html

Stone makes sense, apart from potentially being injury-prone, but we're hardly helping the perception that we're a retirement home for average county pros by going after two 29-year-olds.

Bearing in mind that Vince would have played instead of Alsop in the current game, we'd have fielded an XI comprised of:

Smith 33

Adams 35

Vince 25

Carberry 35

Wheater 26

Ervine 33

McLaren 33

McManus 21

Berg 35

Andrew 32

Best 34

Whereas in the past we were excellent at bringing youngsters through, with the likes of Vince, Wood, Briggs, Griffiths, Bates, etc all coming through at around the same time, we now seem to be choosing to pick players with plenty of prior experience but no mileage left in them. A sad state of affairs, really.

Bearing in mind that Vince would have played instead of Alsop in the current game, we'd have fielded an XI comprised of:

Don't think that's right. Whilst you've been sharing Ambre Solaire with Vlad and Yuri, in the South of France, Alsop has been playing in every game, in all formats, when fit. Wheater was left out of the Somerset game and has come back in Vince's place.

It appears that our total of 472 is our largest ever, without anyone getting a century. Ervine gave it away going for quick declaration runs.

I'm guessing the answers 'No' but do you think theres any chance of a manufactured result here? Durham let us smash another 160 before lunch, leave them about 250 in two sessions. Mark Nicholas would have sweet talked them into it...and then unleashed Marshall. Of course this was before two divisions.

I'm guessing the answers 'No' but do you think theres any chance of a manufactured result here? Durham let us smash another 160 before lunch, leave them about 250 in two sessions. Mark Nicholas would have sweet talked them into it...and then unleashed Marshall. Of course this was before two divisions.

Didn't we get shafted the last time we did that ? Left them far too many overs to get too few runs, apparently we had no other choice, either that or a bore draw.

Didn't we get shafted the last time we did that ? Left them far too many overs to get too few runs, apparently we had no other choice, either that or a bore draw.

Yeah, trouble is like last time we need results, therefore any negotiations will tend to go in the favour of the team who don't really need the result and would be happy with a draw. Anyway i'm getting ahead of myself, both teams will probably be happy to play out a draw.