• Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Romeu
    • Austin
    • Ward-Prowse

The thing with Yoshida is about 90% of what he does is sound, but he ALWAYS screws up in a way which could easily lead to the opposition scoring. Today it was both a trip in the box, and passing the ball straight to the striker when he intercepted a through ball (by virtue of being out of position in the first place). Great that he scored, but he's not going to do that as often as he offers a chance at the other end.

True, but considering he's always played out of position he's gets a fair amount of unnecessary stick on here. He's a good squad player which is fine by me.

Did well to hold on there - drawing on some of the experience from the Emirates will have helped.

Pointless appealing the Wanyama red - firstly because it was borderline yellow/red anyway and secondly because we play no worse without him anyway.

Pelle needs to improve quickly - that was like playing with nine. He was still far too easy to mark, didn't hold the ball up and conceded way too many free kicks. Add to that his lack of sharpness in the box, and in the air and the attempted 35 yard through ball to their CF and you can see the problem. Total passenger at the moment.

True, but considering he's always played out of position he's gets a fair amount of unnecessary stick on here. He's a good squad player which is fine by me.

I think he's a competent squad player for our budget but I'd really rather he never played. What would you consider his position? I'd say where he was today in playing slightly off centre towards the left side is about as close as he's going to get to it.

The thing with Yoshida is about 90% of what he does is sound, but he ALWAYS screws up in a way which could easily lead to the opposition scoring. Today it was both a trip in the box, and passing the ball straight to the striker when he intercepted a through ball (by virtue of being out of position in the first place). Great that he scored, but he's not going to do that as often as he offers a chance at the other end.

Long bust a gut today and has deserved his run in the side - you get what you expect from him, occasionally dodgy touch when running with the ball, a lot of closing down and surprisingly good in the air. He's not massively creative and you wouldn't want him in a side without creative players around him but he works hard and when you're down to 10 you need plenty of that. Pelle looked off the pace, but made sense to leave him on in those conditions with his ability to hold the ball up and lay it off, though he didn't actually do it as well as he has done before.

Interesting to see the reaction to Austin seems to be expectation that he'll score every time he touches the ball, that's going to be a difficult reputation to uphold!

Some of the expectation heaped on Austen by some of the people round me when he came on was ludicrous. As you said, they seemed to think that he should score every time he touched the ball. "Get it to Charlie!". He'll score us goals but, as he showed today, he will miss a few as well.

Fantastic display from the defensive players in the side. Although it was nervy in truth we defended brilliantly and they never really looked like scoring.

Claise is looking the player we hoped he'd be, pressing and hassling and don't remember him giving the ball away. Romeu also looked quality when he came on and is looking a really good player now.

Wanyama was unlucky to be sent off, it was silly diving in like he did but a harsh red but clattenburg loves sending him off so no surprise when he took the opportunity to do that.

Defensively we're looking the real deal. The only downside tonight was that Pelle struggled and was poor, maybe he is lacking sharpness due to being out for a while but with the way we sent up to play today he really didn't do the job he was picked for and looked like a player bang out of form. He's a good player so will get back to form but I'd be tempted to start with Austin and Long next week.

Wow. Did you really just manage a post devoid of sarcasm? Agree with pretty much all of what you say. The only way Pelle will find some form is if he gets game time, but I'd also be tempted to start Austin instead.

Wow. Did you really just manage a post devoid of sarcasm? Agree with pretty much all of what you say. The only way Pelle will find some form is if he gets game time, but I'd also be tempted to start Austin instead.

Pelle has had a bucket full of playing time this season and been poor throughout or at least apart from the first three weeks of the season. We have proved we are better without him now.

Superb defensive display although in truth I only enjoyed the game after the final whistle went. Can't be underestimated especially after the shift they put in at the Emirates in the week. Nice to stick one up the dildo twins too, so to speak...

Footnote: Clattenburg really does think it is all about him though with his ballet steps and accentuated gestures.

And so he seeds his place in folklore.

From KUMB

For balance, not all of them are morons

Forster now has the best clean sheet to game ratio of any Premier League goalkeeper in history (over 10 games). Played 35 with 19 clean sheets. 54.2%.

No goals conceded in over 9 hours.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Captain Chris I think you've summarized what I saw. In fact used my words 'tinkering and disjointed'. Mane and Long had to adapt to Pelle playing No. 9 and it didn't work. Playing 3 centre backs was correct, but we were light in midfield and Bertrand doesn't seem to enjoy playing a more forward role.

We got away with this one.

Couldn't agree more . Why Koeman left him on the pitch for so long is beyond me .

Should have come off instead of Mane after the red card .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nonsense, Yoshida intercepted an incredible amount of passes today as well as winning almost all of his headers.

Also completely lost the attacker in the 70th minute allowing a free header . Took his goal really well but still was out of position a number of times . A better team would have exploited that . It was one of his better games though .

Never a penalty though . Valencia threw his leg out sideways looking for contact . Should have been booked .

you can't go diving in like that and not run the risk of getting a red

Yes. Yes you can. Stop listening to the pundits. You ARE allowed to tackle people. You ARE allowed to make contact with other players. It's a contact sport, and one footed tackles are legal in football.

You're just so horribly wrong. It seems you've been listening to the likes of Michael Owen and Graham Le Saux for your football rules knowledge.

"Ooh well there was contact there so it's a penalty"

"Ooh well he did slide in there, so it's a definite red"

You're ruining our game along with the pundits.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Having looked at the red card again, in real time it does look pretty reckless. It's still harsh and i'm sure if Clattenburg could see as many re plays as I have he'd have given him a yellow, but he doesn't. So I suppose I can forgive him that one. Also, Wanyama probably should've been booked before anyway.

Couldn't agree more . Why Koeman left him on the pitch for so long is beyond me .

Should have come off instead of Mane after the red card .

Because he needed someone to hold it up and give defence a chance to breathe.

Mane against Arsenal and for the time he was on looks way off but your dislike of Koeman is not lost on me.

It was the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also completely lost the attacker in the 70th minute allowing a free header . Took his goal really well but still was out of position a number of times . A better team would have exploited that . It was one of his better games though .

Never a penalty though . Valencia threw his leg out sideways looking for contact . Should have been booked .

The bit in bold is exactly what I thought at the time. Glad I wasn't the only one.

Fantastic performance from the team yesterday.

With the single exception of Kevin Friend, Mark Clattenburg is, without doubt, the worst referee you could possibly have for a Saints fixture. Clattenburg away is one of our trickiest fixtures. Playing him at home is also fraught with danger! Whilst Victor's challenge was reckless most refs would not have given the red card for that. Having so many West Ham players in his face clearly influenced his decision. At least two West Ham players made far worst tackles than Wanyama's. It's not so much that Clattenburg is blatantly bias, is the total inconsistency of his decisions when refereeing any game which is the most frustrating.

In the end, a fantastic defensive display saved the day. Credit to all the players (with the possible exception of Pelle who was awful again) for their resolve in making sure we didn't let the one nil advantage slip.

Fantastic atmosphere with the crowd pushing the team over the line at the end!

I thought Pelle would come out with mustard up his ar*e and a point to prove after the last couple of weeks, but he was pants. Maybe he's not fully fit still, but unfortunately for him we've seen what a dynamic front two looks like in the last few weeks and with Austin to come in, cannot see where he fits.

Also enjoyed Long clapping the Austin substitution!

Clattenburg ****e. Atmosphere superb after the red card. West Ham and in particular Mark Noble are nothing other than a bunch of C*ckwombles.

Having gone to a West Ham dominated school in East London I have a big dislike for West Ham and their fans. They consider themselves to be a big club and much bigger than us coming out with arrogant statements such as 'We shouldn't be losing to little clubs like Southampton' so it's no surprise their players think they can act in the same way with refs as a Fergie Man U team would. They are no bigger than us with the exception of a couple more trophy wins than we have. As others have said both Payet for sliding through the back of our player and not getting the ball and Byram for going over the ball with his studs up on Bertrand should of been sent off. As for the dive, the guy took several more steps after getting away from Yoshi before he threw himself to the ground and should have gotten a card for simulation.

As for the game, yeah they had a lot of possession, but it was mainly in the area between their penalty box and the first quarter of our half, they were painfully slow getting the ball forward and generally pretty rubbish, so it would have been a travesty if they had left with even a point. After we had done such a good job of containing and limiting them.

The two stand out players for me were Virgil and Cedric, with Cedric just shaving it, as aside from the slice, he didn't put a foot wrong defensively and won so many headers and tackles and always looked calm when bringing the ball out of defensive he has improved more than Clyne did in his first season with Saints and Ron would be an arse to drop him now as he did earlier in the season.

The defensive seven were immense yesterday and will rightly take most of the plaudits but spare a thought for Long who put a shift in defensively as well as getting forward and who made some great challenges and blocks late in the game and also Charlie Austin who came on and did everything you would hope a sub would for a team down to ten men defending a slender lead then there was also Romeu who came on and was straight into the game, great run to set up Charlie too, looked on the stadium replay as though the shot took a deflection, would have been lovely to seal the win with only ten men on the pitch and with all their possession.

I don't know about anyone else but that win felt as good as a six nil win to me.

Wanyama tackle was never a red - definite yellow...he went for the ball but missed it - that's not going for the player. Poyet play-acted terribly and like a complete plum Clutterfook fell for it with considerable help from the Wet Spam drama club. I do hope we appeal, however I don't think Vic wants to be here anymore and it was a cynical way to miss games.

Forster was my MOTM - didn't do much except provide us the win by making a world-class crucial save - as good as any goal scored. Plus it's his 5th consecutive clean sheet - incredible really given around a month ago he wasn't in the first team.

To be fair, with the exception on VW, the whole team put in a brilliant shift and it was a well-deserved win.

I don't know about anyone else but that win felt as good as a six nil win to me.

Yep.

Chant of the day after they chirped up with "Your ground's too big for you" was "Our ground's too big for you" while pointing at all the empty seats in the away section. Big London clubs would have filled the full allocation.

We so miss Davis!!! Pelle is not fit clearly; VW was unlucky; Payet went over the top on him before VW fouled him, so with hindsight there may have been an element of retaliation; but never a red, just a late clumsy challenge, yellow card, get up move on. Clatterboots is bordering on being a nutter, seriously. Awful referee.

Great pass from Sadio made the goal.

Funnily enough that's pretty much what Koeman said, what an idiot eh.

Not bad as his second language and surrounded by it.

Sorry I am arrogant enough to not to listen to Savage, Parlour etc and the rest of the sages. Saturated market now in our Information Age. Don't tell me you also say 'thus far' at any opportunity?

You've taken the Karl Andree case seriously then? ;)

Had to Google him, but nothing like that!! Getting up at 0430 for work with an 1130 finish here and Saturday is a school night here!!

Couldn't join my buddies as they'd been on the sauce all day at The Golf and don't haver the same restrictions as me workwise :-(

Good battling victory with some immense displays at the back notably VVD and Fonte plus FF. Having said that I'm with those who question RK for persisting with Pelle whenever he's fit. Recently, with no big man up front we were causing havoc to opposition defences with the tireless running of Mane and Long - a bit like Leicester play and it works for them. With those two we were creating lots of chances and scoring more goals. Yesterday RK shoe-horned Pelle into the side and we were much worse for that decision and I do appreciate the fact that we got the three points. I just think we look better balanced, have more shape and carry more threat with Long and Mane playing furthest forward and an extra midfielder to replace Pelle.

That was one of the best defensive rearguard operations I can remember from a Saints team.

No doubt people will recall others, but with 10 men it was a fantastic effort. Mostly cool and organised - few shots on target - and so many of the team showed passion and ran themselves into the ground to make sure we held on.

It's great what a few good results can do, comparing this with the way heads were regularly dropping before Christmas every time we conceded.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Wanyama tackle was never a red - definite yellow...he went for the ball but missed it - that's not going for the player. Poyet play-acted terribly and like a complete plum Clutterfook fell for it with considerable help from the Wet Spam drama club. I do hope we appeal, however I don't think Vic wants to be here anymore and it was a cynical way to miss games.

Forster was my MOTM - didn't do much except provide us the win by making a world-class crucial save - as good as any goal scored. Plus it's his 5th consecutive clean sheet - incredible really given around a month ago he wasn't in the first team.

To be fair, with the exception on VW, the whole team put in a brilliant shift and it was a well-deserved win.

H'mmm. that would require Vic to be thinking and I don't think that he does a lot of that!

So you think that Victor, in a cynical attempt to get sent off on purpose he committed a tackle which you don't think deserved a red card.

How does that work?

So you think that Victor, in a cynical attempt to get sent off on purpose he committed a tackle which you don't think deserved a red card.

How does that work?

Logically, he didn't do a good enough job, but WHam and Clattenburg helped him.

But seriously, although I don't think it should have been a red, he didn't need to make the tackle. It's a clear weakness that when he loses a tackle, he also loses his cool.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Simply, if the Wanyama challenge was a red the Byrams is too. Payets maybe. Its the inconsistency that is the problem for me. ****tenburg was clearly influenced by Noble & Reid. For that alone he should miss games. Referee's should not be influenced at all. I know they often are, but its down to integrity for me & I don't believe he has much.

Just has a quick read of the build up thread after team was announced....

What an embarrassment, posting against Maya...pathetically sad

But i suspect it will get accredited as debate..lol

How did you see the game yesterday? Standout players, areas to improve etc?

Be good to hear some opinions on football rather than opinions on posts on a football forum.

After losing a challenge in midfield you could see VW go after the player and lunge in, if his timing had been better he would have cleaned him out completely, so the intent was there and a red card probably correct although debatable. The fact that Clattenberg went for a yellow first then changed his mind after WHU player pressure shows at best weak refereeing, and later decisions showed a lack of consistency. That makes him a poor referee, if hes the PL #1 ref is doesn't say a lot for the rest...

Having seen it on MOTD again, definite yellow, only a red because of player reaction influencing the ref.

Club need to decide wether they can live without Wanyama for the next 5 matches or not.

Victor simply must learn to control himself better - did he have this issue at previous clubs?

Only other thing I can say is that if you commit to a tackle like that you need to make sure you get the ball, possibly an unfortunate bounce meant he missed it. Had he got the ball I think clattenburg would have been hard pushed to give a red

Just has a quick read of the build up thread after team was announced....

What an embarrassment, posting against Maya...pathetically sad

But i suspect it will get accredited as debate..lol

Hardly embarrassing. I've stuck up for Yoshida in the past but there is no getting away from the fact he has had more than his far share of defensive howlers this season (and before). So it is hardly a surprise that some fans aren't that excited about him being in the first 11. He was ok yesterday (nicely taken goal tbf) and being part of a three is probably to his benefit but even then he was probably lucky with the Valencia tackle which some refs would have given.

After losing a challenge in midfield you could see VW go after the player and lunge in, if his timing had been better he would have cleaned him out completely, so the intent was there and a red card probably correct although debatable. The fact that Clattenberg went for a yellow first then changed his mind after WHU player pressure shows at best weak refereeing, and later decisions showed a lack of consistency. That makes him a poor referee, if hes the PL #1 ref is doesn't say a lot for the rest...

Despite the replay showing that Wanyama never took his eyes off the ball, yeah?

I liked the huddle of around half a dozen Saints players at the end when they came over to the Kingsland/Northam corner. Signals unity and commitment among at least a core of the players. For first time in a while at a home fixture I felt the fans were 100% with the team and gave great support. Augurs well for a move up the table.

Hardly embarrassing. I've stuck up for Yoshida in the past but there is no getting away from the fact he has had more than his far share of defensive howlers this season (and before). So it is hardly a surprise that some fans aren't that excited about him being in the first 11. He was ok yesterday (nicely taken goal tbf) and being part of a three is probably to his benefit but even then he was probably lucky with the Valencia tackle which some refs would have given.

Have seen it several times he would have been very, very unlucky to have had a pen given against him....not a foul in a million years.