Callum Slattery has signed a pro contract

SaintLondon

According to the commentators on NBC a couple of weeks ago, we are "the very definition of a selling club", which I thought was an interesting observation. I think it's reasonable and it's how the rest of the world sees us right now. More so probably than any other PL club.

According to the commentators on NBC a couple of weeks ago, we are "the very definition of a selling club", which I thought was an interesting observation. I think it's reasonable and it's how the rest of the world sees us right now. More so probably than any other PL club.

I think it's more a case of having a lot of coveted talent at the same time. Young English players have always been in big demand and attracted inflated fees. A few years ago Villa couldn't hold on to Young, Downing, Barry and now Delph. Before that it was West Ham with Defoe, Lampard, Ferdinand and Carrick. The last couple of years it's been our turn and soon it will be someone else. Probably Everton with Stones and Barkley.

We've even admitted it ourselves. I don't see why anyone would disagree. The idea that all the clubs in the world bar a handful are selling clubs is different to those clubs who purposefully invest in young players to develop them and sell them on for a profit. A "showcase" club or whatever it is that Les Reed said. Other clubs would understand they will always sell to bigger clubs but they are unlikely to admit it so easily in public.

Yup! Great news. At least it should mean we'll get some decent money when he leaves!!

(Assuming we are still a selling club)

I always " assumed " that phrase meant that a club who was desperate for cash needed to sell players in order to balance their books?.

At any rate, OUR sales have been very good business, it's just a pity deals like Gaston and Osvaldo have cost us so much of the profit that was made.

Aside from Leicester, who have turned the League on its head this season........

I think most of the top ten clubs have sold some of their better players at one time or another, and the bottom half have to in order to stay solvent.

But.....As this thread is about Callum Slattery,

I think he was outstanding last season (at 16), and although it maybe a year or so before he gets on the bench regularly (he'll be an U21 player for a few years to come) , but will surely be in the running for a first team place by the time those remaining 2018 contracts run out.

Edited by david in sweden

Good news, shows the production line is still going. Frankly we could never hope for more than one or two a season or less to make it as first team regulars, but maybe this lad can.

Les Reed is quoted: “Following the signing of two young foreign talents, it is important that we continue to demonstrate that homegrown players remain a priority at this club and the pipeline is still flowing". I must have missed it, who exactly are these two foreigners?

Good news, shows the production line is still going. Frankly we could never hope for more than one or two a season or less to make it as first team regulars, but maybe this lad can.

Les Reed is quoted: “Following the signing of two young foreign talents, it is important that we continue to demonstrate that homegrown players remain a priority at this club and the pipeline is still flowing". I must have missed it, who exactly are these two foreigners?

Depends when the quote was? But it could be soares & Juanmi

Maybe, but not sure, it comes as a part of Les Reed's quote in the press (well, the Star) about Callum's signing. But they are certainly young and foreign, though the last signing we knew about was Charlie.

I could be wrong but I thought he said similar when he signed up a while ago around the same time that the other two signed - as l say I could be wrong and can't be arsed to troll back. [emoji3]

How good is he really. Is he Bale/Walcott good or more like Targett/Ward Prowse?

Never any guarantees of course, but potential on a similar level to Bale has been mentioned.

Arsenal, Man Utd, and Bayern Munich were after him back before he signed his pre-contract at the start of this season.

I could be wrong but I thought he said similar when he signed up a while ago around the same time that the other two signed - as l say I could be wrong and can't be arsed to troll back. [emoji3]

Had a go (should get out more...). Think you're right - at the time the announcement said:

"Executive Director of Football Les Reed commented: “Cédric represents a quality addition to our squad, and is another player with a desire and hunger to succeed.

“Like Juanmi, Cédric is a young player with international experience as well as exceptional talent and potential....He joined Sporting’s academy at the age of eight and progressed through to first-team football and international recognition – a pathway previously trodden by a number of our own homegrown stars." At least the club PR is consistent.

How good is he really. Is he Bale/Walcott good or more like Targett/Ward Prowse?

impossible to compare really. We were at Championship-level when Walcott and Bale played with Saints, and after they moved on- neither of them got into their (new) respective first teams so quickly, (in fact Bale was a bit of laughing stock with Spurs fans in his first season).

So what wecan see now; is Bale and Walcott = Saints Academy +10 years. JWP got his first real chances after we were promoted back up: 3½ seasons ago.

Luke Shaw's progress to the first team was a no-brainer when you consider the only alternative was Danny Fox.

Matt Targett has DAJFU (when needed) and was OK, but would have an impossible task replacing Ryan Bertrand, although both do get to play in the 3-5-1 formation.

As for Callum Slattery .....he looked good at 16 -...he is a stand-out player in most U18 (videoed) games I've watched, but he will need to " muscle-up a bit " as he's still fairly slim. If he continues to improve, I might expect to see him getting U21 / the odd senior game ..next season, or if we get an injury crisis..maybe more often.

Longer term? ...who knows?... I don't have a crystal ball, but what I can see .....is encouraging;)

Had a go (should get out more...). Think you're right - at the time the announcement said:

"Executive Director of Football Les Reed commented: “Cédric represents a quality addition to our squad, and is another player with a desire and hunger to succeed.

“Like Juanmi, Cédric is a young player with international experience as well as exceptional talent and potential....He joined Sporting’s academy at the age of eight and progressed through to first-team football and international recognition – a pathway previously trodden by a number of our own homegrown stars." At least the club PR is consistent.

..that's what PR is all about.

A carefully-worded statement underlining past successes and future prospects, because we are following " the plan" and seeing positive results.

You don't talk about the ones - who don't make it.

impossible to compare really. We were at Championship-level when Walcott and Bale played with Saints, and after they moved on- neither of them got into their (new) respective first teams so quickly, (in fact Bale was a bit of laughing stock with Spurs fans in his first season).

So what wecan see now; is Bale and Walcott = Saints Academy +10 years. JWP got his first real chances after we were promoted back up: 3½ seasons ago.

Luke Shaw's progress to the first team was a no-brainer when you consider the only alternative was Danny Fox.

Matt Targett has DAJFU (when needed) and was OK, but would have an impossible task replacing Ryan Bertrand, although both do get to play in the 3-5-1 formation.

As for Callum Slattery .....he looked good at 16 -...he is a stand-out player in most U18 (videoed) games I've watched, but he will need to " muscle-up a bit " as he's still fairly slim. If he continues to improve, I might expect to see him getting U21 / the odd senior game ..next season, or if we get an injury crisis..maybe more often.

Longer term? ...who knows?... I don't have a crystal ball, but what I can see .....is encouraging;)

Is our official formation now "3-5-1 ... plus Wanyama as a bonus for as many minutes he can stay on the field"?

A 15 year old has come on as full back for the saints tonight in the under-21s after an early injury. Making the team look even more fresh-faced (apart from Martina and Juanmi)...

Jake Vokins, looks quite decent considering his age. Was quite a star in the Milk Cup last year.

Edited by VectisSaint

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

What's the assessment on Callum at the moment? I know he was talked about rather enthusiastically during all the Arsenal talk. Getting close to the first team involvement? Prowse, Shaw, Chambers, and to a far lesser extent, Hesketh, started making inroads around this sort of age, hence the curiosity.

Injury set him back a bit, but from what I've seen he looks like he'll be a decent player. Hopefully we'll see him carry on playing well for the U23's then push to be in the first team squad by the end of the season.

• 1 year later...

He was alright. Neat and tidy in possession, held position well, made some good takles. A couple of errors, one in the first half which could have resulted in a goal. Had one decent shot. I'd like to see him alongside a more defensive midfielder than Ward Prowse as that would compliment his style better and free him up to get forward more.