British Press is the most Right wing in Europe

buctootim

Columnists are , but should bbc journos express opinions . Nick Robinson used to and now that fit Laura bird does now . Every single time there's a major issue bbc reporters give their analysis of the situation rather than the basic facts . There's also running orders & which story to cover . By putting Cameron's pathetic " re-negotiation" at the top of the news someone thinks that it's an important development . Personally I'd have made it the last item as its not worth a JArther . Rightly or wrongly , that's bias , just as not majoring on the cologne incident is . If a load of birds were groped and sexually assaulted at a UKIP conference , I'm pretty sure the BBC would have made more of it than they did.

You'll never get unbiased reporting as there's too much human opinion involved

Political coverage is a poor example: the adversarial nature of British politics, the rise of spin and the perceived values at stake (the media's image of itself as the Fourth Estate) invariably bring journos into contact with opinion and analysis.

All news outlets -not just your hypocritical strawman, the BBC- follow the same formula. Watched Adam Boulton recently? However it doesn't follow that this extends to other areas of the news where straight reporting is more embedded in principle, if not in practice.

right, so I'm a bit of a leftie, the left hand graphic describes me quite well. I look at it and think I am comfortable being that way. I look at the right graphic, and see lots of things i don't like, and negative connotations.

So my question is - is the above graphic biased towards the left, filling it with positive vibes, and biased against the right, filling it with negativity, or is it well balanced, and is it me who is biased? Is there anyone here who would read the right hand graphic and feel positive about being described by it?

This is written for US attitudes (note the US capitol building at the top, and spelling of "organized"). In the US, yes there are plenty who ascribe to the beliefs of the right hand side, particularly in Southern states. I think that in Britain, and Europe more widely, the "centre line" is placed a little more to the Left - and so many would find the Right views here a little unsavoury.

Apparently

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/07/british-press-most-right-wing-europe/

Cant say Im too surprised. Notable that the Swedes find their press too left wing. The findings call into question the idea that the press reflects their readerships views. Given Denmarks very neutral split I wonder if they have any 'balance' laws, or its just a happy coincidence.

CanLxugXIAA25Sr.jpg:large

I could respond with a quick review of the Swedish scene...... through British eyes.

Economics - Swedes pay some of the highest domestic tax rates in the World. It's supposed to pay for all the things we take for granted, but there a 25% VAT on most items / services and a toll system that taxes you every time you drive over a bridge in a city (like Stockholm) that is built on 14 islands (!) everything costs and it's no joke to say ...."there are no free lunches" in Sweden - unless you are a company director. The governing minority of Social Democrats (Labour) and Greens took over 18 months ago, edging out a Conservative / Centre Alliance that had ruled for 8 years and kept the country on track amid several financial crises.

Most non swedes I met, said they thought we were crazy to vote out a Government that had been so successful in stabilising everything.

Housing there has been a housing shortage in the big cities for several years, and the influx of the 200,000 refugees in the last year hasn't made that situation any easier. Loads of people in their twenties are still living with their parents because there are no flats to rent - unless you are a Government minister when there is always "something" - in a very fashionable area. Many immigrants want to live in big cities, but the housing situation is so acute, that when thousands arrived two months ago - some of them ended up sleeping in tents in the forest - which represents 90% of Sweden's enormous land mass.

Health the idea of a free, all encompassing Health system went out the door 15 years ago. A visit to the doctor will cost £17 each time, and you'd think they were on commission, judging by the way they dish out medicines. If thats not expensive enough....wait till you get to the chemists with the prescription.:scared:

Emergency visits to hospitals take a long time - if you don't die whilst waiting. Personally, I visit to Boots to stock up on basic essentials whenever I visit the UK.

Crime ..A lot of people seek to blame immigrants for the massive increase in crime, but the decline of traditional family life and youth unemployment has a price.

There is a huge rise in violent crime in cities and many Swedes can recall the time that knives were only used to peel potatoes and whittle away on the back porch. The Police were recently criticised for "suppressing / censoring " crime figures that might suggest negativity towards refugees who roam the streets with no work /money.

Immigration .Sssh - lest your comments be regarded as rasist. :rolleyes:But it's no coincidence that the Swedish Democrats (a sort of soft-core neo Nazi party) couldn't raise the 4% of votes required to get into Parliament 10 years ago, but today have topped 20% in opinion polls.

Most of that "support" has come from the disatisfied verges of both left and right parties who see the country losing its "traditional Scandinavian identity", and see "the newcomers" as source of cheap labour in a country that already has its own unemployment issues.

Education has become a big issue as the School system has lost many thousands of " Forties baby-boom teachers (retired) ..and the influx of many refugees has put a huge strain on a system where everyone needs to learn Swedish (the national language - spoken by only 10 million people worldwide)....Yes silly isn't it .

aside from that ....almost everything published is very PR.....and tries to support a status quo that no longer exists in reality.

Edited by david in sweden