At what point would you walk out of a Saints game?

kwsaint

In response to Liverpool walking out at a £77 match-day ticket, how much would Saints have to charge per game for you to walk out? I genuinely don't agree with the "a true fan would pay anything" because £77 is clearly outrageous. But is £40 fair for a match-day ticket? Your thoughts?

Prices are a fuking joke.

It's not the ticket prices, the cost of everything surrounding football is a joke

A mate at work is a spurs fan and his ticket for the Arsenal game..... £75 plus booking fee: a restricted view!!!!

Just a disgrace. Pity that the prem sell out more than most

£40 is too much. £30 for home and £25 for aways IMO

The over seas tv money alone is more than any other league in the worlds total tv money.

The rise in the money received from Hong Kong alone means we could all go for nothing.

Fair play to the scousers in this regard. Just a shame so many other keep handing that sum of money over

Edited by Batman

Please whinging about prices (hours after coughing up 40, 50, 60, 70 whatever quid to go to a game) make me laugh. Football is a business. It's supply and demand. The only way prices will go down is if people vote with their feet and refuse to pay. The Liverpool fans that paid 77 quid and then walked out early not only ****ed their own team but also massively short changed themselves - bizarre protest.

Please whinging about prices (hours after coughing up 40, 50, 60, 70 whatever quid to go to a game) make me laugh. Football is a business. It's supply and demand. The only way prices will go down is if people vote with their feet and refuse to pay. The Liverpool fans that paid 77 quid and then walked out early not only ****ed their own team but also massively short changed themselves - bizarre protest.

Shouldn't be like that with the money clubs get from sky.

The protest was about the price going up to £77 next season. So far less bizarre than your little rant.

If you support a team, I don't think boycotting or walking out of their games is the best way to protest or express your opinion. The attendance at the Ian Branfoot boycott game v Ipswich still delights Pompey fans to this day. They think it's one of the best things we've ever done. Liverpool fans could have used 'No to 77' placards and banners covering the whole Kop and it would have been televised nationwide and appeared on the back pages of all the papers. Instead they just turned the game in Sunderland's favour and possibly cost their team 2 points. On the plus side that may well prove to be the difference between us and them finishing 6th.

Except now everybody is talking about it and it is now high profile,

Surely that has made it the perfect protest

I guess that you are a take it or leave it fan then, whilst some of us actually want to go because it's in the blood. That's why it is an axclusive and unique 'product', we just can help it. As for it causing Liverpool to lose three points :lol::lol::lol: you really think that the players were worries about that?

Personally, I would like to see a Corporate protest in the sense that for a decent period of time we all stay silent in protest (tricky if someone scores), perhaps with a rendition of "can you hear the corporate sing?......" Perhaps the message will be, keep charging the proper fan out and this is what it's going to sound like at a football match in the future.

A protest inside a football stadium about ticket prices when you've already paid the price to watch the ticket is laughable. The only way prices will come down is if people stop going. Protest outside the ground, don't go but protesting about something you are clearly already paying for is a joke. Would people book a train to London get on the train and get off at Woking to protest against train prices? Would people book a hotel room and leave it at 4 in the morning to protest against the price of hotel rooms? If you're not happy with the price then don't pay it and don't go, it ain't hard. When enough people start doing it then and only then will they take notice.

Well done Liverpool fans!!! A mate of mine was at the game on Saturday and said about 10,000 fans got up and left the ground!!! They got exactly what they needed everyone talking about it and their own club seeking a resolution …If a few more supporters did that around the country these rip off clubs might begin to listen. It’s a joke to pay so much to watch a game of football.

First of all I don't think the Liverpool protest was a joke. It's not like all 10,000 found out that ticket prices next season would be £77 in the main stand and then rushed out and bought a ticket so they could join the protest. Every single one will have bought their ticket weeks or in the case of season ticket holders months before.

However, the simple fact is that the only real way to protest is to not buy the season ticket next summer. Or buy a match ticket next season.

But as not all tickets are £77, just some in the new main stand, I suspect fans will look to move to cheaper parts of the ground and then new fans will come in and buy those expenses seats. The fact they do will justify LFCs actions.

Edited by Chez

i think the big question for a number of the usuak susoects in here should be "at what point do you walk in to a saints game?"

just saying

Is the answer when the ticket prices are reasonable, such as cup games. Is there anything wrong with that?

If you support a team, I don't think boycotting or walking out of their games is the best way to protest or express your opinion. The attendance at the Ian Branfoot boycott game v Ipswich still delights Pompey fans to this day. They think it's one of the best things we've ever done. Liverpool fans could have used 'No to 77' placards and banners covering the whole Kop and it would have been televised nationwide and appeared on the back pages of all the papers. Instead they just turned the game in Sunderland's favour and possibly cost their team 2 points. On the plus side that may well prove to be the difference between us and them finishing 6th.

What a narrow minded viewpoint. Who gives a flying f@@@ what Pompey fans thought of our anti Branfoot protests. The point was we got rid and stayed up to enjoy many more years of south coast superiority. There comes a time when protests have to be made against greed and fair play to the scousers for having the courage to make a stand. What's the point having a successful team if half the fan base can't afford to watch?

I have never and will never leave a match before the final whistle, if I wanna avoid sitting in traffic (as is most people's reason for leaving early) I would stop somewhere for a coffee before setting off home. I have however been priced out of attending regularly but that's more due to circumstances, I now have 4 kids, than the price. I will one day, when the kids are grown up, get a season ticket again. Miss my season ticket and the whole match day experience is worth every penny but until my kids can fend for themselves my priorities are for the time being them and will have to make do with big dave on a very crackley radio solent signal (Alton is on the very edge of their rrang).

They didn't throw that lead away because of the protest that happened as they are ****e.

Good on them IMO. Why should someone have to move to a different part of the ground (or not attend at all) from a seat they have sat in for x years because a tourist will pay more to sit there?

To answer the question if Saints announced my seat will be 77 pound per game next year i would happily walk out of the ground as part of an organised protest during a game.

I wouldn't walkout as that doesn't achieve anything, the best way to protest is to simplyt not go to games. As for the pricing it is clearly too much for what is essentially only 90 minutes entertainment, that price is withouth travelling costs, food, drink, programme etc & that is per person. Taking the kids to a game nowadays & you are into a couple of hundred quid per game, i don't care what anyone says that is too much.

First of all I don't think the Liverpool protest was a joke. It's not like all 10,000 found out that ticket prices next season would be £77 in the main stand and then rushed out and bought a ticket so they could join the protest. Every single one will have bought their ticket weeks or in the case of season ticket holders months before.

However, the simple fact is that the only real way to protest is to not buy the season ticket next summer. Or buy a match ticket next season.

But as not all tickets are £77, just some in the new main stand, I suspect fans will look to move to cheaper parts of the ground and then new fans will come in and buy those expenses seats. The fact they do will justify LFCs actions.

It's 200 seats for 6 games a season. The ones protesting won't be sitting in those seats anyway. What's the problem with people paying more for a premium seat?

I notice no ones mentioned the £9 kids ticket with 20,000 tickets given as priority to locals or the plans to give away tickets to schools as a reward for good behaviour. Or how 64% of season tickets have been frozen or reduced or how 45% of match day tickets will be reduced. Oh no, let's all be OUTRAGED that Less than 1% of the capacity will have to pay a bit more 6 times a season and none of those people protesting will be sitting in those areas anyway. It's not like the scousers to ignore facts and have a whinge is it :lol:

When it's over. In 40 years I've left before the end twice, once when we were 5-2 down to Spurs (Rosenthal) and once at Elland Road when we were two down with 20 odd minutes to go and Stuart Gray decided that Benali was the answer off the bench. If you decide to pay the money it is your right to do what you want. I think Liverpool fans did it in such a way that got great press coverage but as I've suspected for a long time, the effect on players seeing people leave early must be negative and Sunderland scoring two to draw adds weight to that argument. I back the war on pricing but there are probably better ways to make a real difference that don't effect the team in the pitch!!

It's 200 seats for 6 games a season. The ones protesting won't be sitting in those seats anyway. What's the problem with people paying more for a premium seat?

I notice no ones mentioned the £9 kids ticket with 20,000 tickets given as priority to locals or the plans to give away tickets to schools as a reward for good behaviour. Or how 64% of season tickets have been frozen or reduced or how 45% of match day tickets will be reduced. Oh no, let's all be OUTRAGED that Less than 1% of the capacity will have to pay a bit more 6 times a season and none of those people protesting will be sitting in those areas anyway. It's not like the scousers to ignore facts and have a whinge is it :lol:

Clearly you've just gone away and researched that because you bought up neither of those points originally. Whist your original point had a lot of validity to it, you do yourself no favours (though thats never your intention anyway) by then going and looking at the facts, which again, is fine but then you come on here like some sort of sanctimonious messiah spouting all the facts that you have googled. Well done, take a bow.

And whether its about 200 seats or 2000, i think their point is that if it was up to the owners, ours included, they will fill the ground with £100 seats. This game is at the heart of our national identity and even privatised railways have restrictions on increases etc. so not to take the ****, its about time football was the same. This is a special case for special people, the likes that were at Dagenham and Redbridge a few years back, why were they there? Because their team was playing, and thats what its about.

Clubs should charge the most they can whilst still filling the seats. think of the shareholders! they wants their money too! Football is a business, these are companies, not charities. if £77 is too much, then they won't sell them, and they'll come down in price - market forces.

Clearly you've just gone away and researched that because you bought up neither of those points originally. Whist your original point had a lot of validity to it, you do yourself no favours (though thats never your intention anyway) by then going and looking at the facts, which again, is fine but then you come on here like some sort of sanctimonious messiah spouting all the facts that you have googled. Well done, take a bow.

And whether its about 200 seats or 2000, i think their point is that if it was up to the owners, ours included, they will fill the ground with £100 seats. This game is at the heart of our national identity and even privatised railways have restrictions on increases etc. so not to take the ****, its about time football was the same. This is a special case for special people, the likes that were at Dagenham and Redbridge a few years back, why were they there? Because their team was playing, and thats what its about.

Correct I had a look to see what all the fuss was about this morning and it turns out, as usual people are being OUTRAGED over nothing, many of the people protesting will be in fact be better off :lol:

It's not hard to google pal, a quick ten minutes on the train this morning and found out all the facts. Maybe people should do their research instead of being quick to be OUTRAGED like you are and your spitting bile reply at me for daring to point it out.

And I stand by my original point that protesting inside the ground is pointless and the only way prices will come down is by more and more empty seats. Although where the scousers are concerned there may well be empty seats even though most of them will be paying less anyway :lol:

Simple for me, if i think the price is too high then i don't buy one.

The problem is Liverpool will still fill their ground and shiny new stand because they appeal to the PL tourist fan and day trippers with their half and half scarves. They could charge £100 for those seats and i suspect they'll still sell them, so to that point the owners don't need to lower the price.

The thread title and the question asked are two different things. In nearly 50 years have only left early a couple of times and then because the grossly overpaid prima donna players couldn't be bothered to put a shift in to a game we needn't have lost. The result of the Liverpool protest has been extensive coverage and debate of the issue which, presumably, is what they wanted. How the protest was done is irrelevant.

A protest inside a football stadium about ticket prices when you've already paid the price to watch the ticket is laughable. The only way prices will come down is if people stop going. Protest outside the ground, don't go but protesting about something you are clearly already paying for is a joke. Would people book a train to London get on the train and get off at Woking to protest against train prices? Would people book a hotel room and leave it at 4 in the morning to protest against the price of hotel rooms? If you're not happy with the price then don't pay it and don't go, it ain't hard. When enough people start doing it then and only then will they take notice.

They're scousers, turks. I think they were whinging about a forthcoming price rise, and I have every sympathy. After all, there's a limit to how much they can steal every week.

There's a legitimate overall point about ticket pricing, which is that the clubs basically don't need to charge the prices they do. However, they do, and your choices are lump it or don''t go.

I'm not sure where the entitlement to cheap tickets comes from though, you happen to like something very popular, expect to pay more for it. When they start giving tickets away, what makes the same people think they're the ones who deserve them then, anyway? Why on earth would the club give tickets away to people who have proven they're the ones most prepared to pay for them?

The Scouse protest wasn't against "general" ticket pricing though, it was specifically about the rise in the price of the most expensive tickets at Anfield - and in that context they were just whining and expecting special treatment as per usual, especially as 64% of the tickets are frozen or cheaper. Although they did well to organise themselves in that timeframe - it's almost like they have experience.

In terms of "leaving the ground early", I've only done it once before injury time, when a friend of a friend got themselves chucked out rather than walk out of Saints 0-3 Watford in the Championship. Not sure I'd be there in the first place if the protest was about not attending.

Edited by The9

I wouldn't walk out until the game's finished.

As a poor impoverished pensioner, my season ticket in the Chapel works out at about £27 per game. A reasonable price for the Premier League.

With the large cash injection of TV money this summer, I'd be disappointed if Saints increased their prices for next season.

I didn't realise it was a protest I thought leaving early was just part of the modern game. If leaving early is a protest saints fans have been doing it for years.....big club biased in the media again saints fans leaving early every week an nothing Liverpool fans do it and every one wants talk about it.......

I'm glad you raised that because its all completely true. Everyone seems to have got pathetically "outraged" over these poxy few seats when in fact, its a pretty good deal for the scousers overall -GIVEN THAT ALL ENGLISH FOOTBALL TICKETS ARE ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSLY PRICED ANYWAY.

If you want to get outraged at least do it for the THAT reason.

Football is marketed as "entertainment". And they say its supply and demand. But within our lifetimes only rich tourists + corporates will be able to afford this live entertainment. And the rich tourists + corporates don't often sing shout chant roar sway ooh and ahh or anything that creates what SKY knows makes this entertainment so intoxicatingly captivating ~ the "atmosphere". They come to watch others do that for them because that is what they are paying for in part. Look at how many rich tourists attend Anfield (and other grounds) with Ipads just to record "You'll never walk alone". Its only going to get worse if prices go up and up without restraint.

The historical USP of English soccer was high octane style of play and fan created atmosphere. It wont be very soon as we become an increasingly standardized product like everything else is, bit by ticket price raising bit.

I wouldn't walk out until the game's finished.

As a poor impoverished pensioner, my season ticket in the Chapel works out at about £27 per game. A reasonable price for the Premier League.

With the large cash injection of TV money this summer, I'd be disappointed if Saints increased their prices for next season.

Do people think SFC will reduce ST and match ticket prices next season? I doubt it.

Since we got back in the prem the prices have gone up each season by my reckoning... maybe the odd decrease here and there or with the intrduction of new age groups?

I am not a ST ticket holder so match day tickets are what I am interested in. I reckon the club will add another pound or two on tickets.

Do people think SFC will reduce ST and match ticket prices next season? I doubt it.

Since we got back in the prem the prices have gone up each season by my reckoning... maybe the odd decrease here and there or with the intrduction of new age groups?

I am not a ST ticket holder so match day tickets are what I am interested in. I reckon the club will add another pound or two on tickets.

They either froze or reduced all ticket prices last season. They do seem to have got a bit more Cortese-y with booking fees and ticket posting though which is a hidden cost.

Liverpool fans are not the first to do this....

Saints fans had been protesting for years ..... leaving regularly from the 70th minute.

They use the excuse of "to beat the traffic" or "we are losing" but in reality its a kind of ticket price protest all along.

Take the West Ham match .... last 20 mins the team needed the crowd... but due to price principles large swathes of the Kingsland just got up and left....

Admirable stuff I must say

Prices are ridiculous. I'm a season ticket holder of 8 years and every year i consider giving it up. Getting to be unaffordable for the working class. I agree with the £20 a ticket campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you don't give it up, do you? So, therefore, it isn't too much. You might like to pay less, but while you and plenty of others continue to fork out, the prices won't budge down, just continue to creep up.

But you don't give it up, do you? So, therefore, it isn't too much. You might like to pay less, but while you and plenty of others continue to fork out, the prices won't budge down, just continue to creep up.

Completely correct.

Prices will continue to rise until people refuse to pay. Those people that blame the owners for uping the prices when there are huge waiting lists for tickets are hilarious. Businessmen run football. Not fans. Been that way since Sky got involved. Get over it.

The main problem we have is football clubs spent, typically, 100 years building up a fanbase by acting as a focal point of their community. They did this with fair prices, local players and the odd bit of success here and there. Then 20 odd years ago the Premier League came about and clubs stopped being clubs and became businesses. This is why the "if you don't like it, just don't go" bridge infuriate me. I go because my Dad and his Dad went, I want my children to go. Thanks to that 100+ years my family is emotionally invested in Southampton FC. It ****es me off that to continue these, many families in Southampton and other cities all over the country have to scrimp and save to carry this on. If ticket prices were a key element in player recruitment/ retainment I could kind of get it. But right now ticket prices reflect such a tiny part of a Premier League Clubs income it is borderline offensive when the 20 Premier League clubs vote against introducing a £30 cap on away fans like they did this week.

Another problem we have is that football is so tribal. Armchair fans love to "hilariously" mock Man City for not seeing out Champions League games. Anyone that knows anything about football would never doubt City's support, but instead choose to mock them on social media ("Emptihad lol") for preferring to pay for their children's Christmas presents than fork out £40-£50 for a ticket to a game against Seville on a freezing cold Tuesday night in November. Instead we should realise we are all in this together, whether you can afford ticket prices or just about get the money together to pay for them we should think about those priced out of the game and the future support of our clubs, teenagers and people in their early 20's that are completely priced out of going to the football, making a racket and having a laugh with their mates on a Saturday afternoon (or Saturday lunchtime, or Sunday any time, Monday night - or Friday night as of next season, but's thats just another thing we should be annoyed about).

So yeah, I'd walk our early. If we dropped 1,2 or 3 points in the process frankly so what. That's a ****ing selfish argument IMO "I've paid my money and want to see us win", yeah well good on ya. I wan future generations of our fans to be able to afford to see us win, lose or draw. One game where we may or may not drop a couple of points due to fans having the collective foresight and goodwill to protest against the disgusting prices charged by "Clubs" in the Premier League, is well worth it to stop our stadium and others being full of well fed 50 year olds and Chinese Tourists.

Up the Saints.

I actually think the TV scheduling is a bigger threat to regular fans who turn up each week than the prices. Sure, matchday prices for Premier League games aren't cheap any more, but they haven't been "cheap" for a long time now. It's not like it's something that has happened all of a sudden.

It was really noticeable how much Saints were trying to flog some last minute tickets for the West Ham game; I think they knew there was a lot of frustration among fans at how yet another game had been rescheduled.

Many people have busy lives now, and there are lots of different things to keep us occupied. If you keep on moving the goalposts and asking fans - and season ticket holders in particular - to rearrange their lives to fit in with fixture reschedule after fixture reschedule, often at short notice, then people will get fed up of it. And I think that will happen sooner than any mass boycott due to ticket prices being too high.

This

The main problem we have is football clubs spent, typically, 100 years building up a fanbase by acting as a focal point of their community. They did this with fair prices, local players and the odd bit of success here and there. Then 20 odd years ago the Premier League came about and clubs stopped being clubs and became businesses. This is why the "if you don't like it, just don't go" bridge infuriate me. I go because my Dad and his Dad went, I want my children to go. Thanks to that 100+ years my family is emotionally invested in Southampton FC. It ****es me off that to continue these, many families in Southampton and other cities all over the country have to scrimp and save to carry this on. If ticket prices were a key element in player recruitment/ retainment I could kind of get it. But right now ticket prices reflect such a tiny part of a Premier League Clubs income it is borderline offensive when the 20 Premier League clubs vote against introducing a £30 cap on away fans like they did this week.

Another problem we have is that football is so tribal. Armchair fans love to "hilariously" mock Man City for not seeing out Champions League games. Anyone that knows anything about football would never doubt City's support, but instead choose to mock them on social media ("Emptihad lol") for preferring to pay for their children's Christmas presents than fork out £40-£50 for a ticket to a game against Seville on a freezing cold Tuesday night in November. Instead we should realise we are all in this together, whether you can afford ticket prices or just about get the money together to pay for them we should think about those priced out of the game and the future support of our clubs, teenagers and people in their early 20's that are completely priced out of going to the football, making a racket and having a laugh with their mates on a Saturday afternoon (or Saturday lunchtime, or Sunday any time, Monday night - or Friday night as of next season, but's thats just another thing we should be annoyed about).

So yeah, I'd walk our early. If we dropped 1,2 or 3 points in the process frankly so what. That's a ****ing selfish argument IMO "I've paid my money and want to see us win", yeah well good on ya. I wan future generations of our fans to be able to afford to see us win, lose or draw. One game where we may or may not drop a couple of points due to fans having the collective foresight and goodwill to protest against the disgusting prices charged by "Clubs" in the Premier League, is well worth it to stop our stadium and others being full of well fed 50 year olds and Chinese Tourists.

Up the Saints.

This, spot on.

Up the Saints.

Thanks for putting into words the basis of it.