What is wrong with the U.K.

Saint in Paradise

Seeing as some on here love to bash the U.S.A. I thought that I would respond by asking

what has gone wrong with the U.K. I know that the P.C. clowns and huggie fluffie lefties

have caused most of the trouble but surely not all of it?? OR have they??

I am also a bit surprised that no-one had posted about this story as it does cause some

massive potential major problems for men.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/my-year-of-hell-commuter-of-preposterous-sexual-assault-case--wa/

The alleged name of that female is not as secret as the Law would like it to be and is easily

found although I confess that I had never heard of this "famous actress" before now.

However I won't post it here as I am not 100% positive as to its authenticity and have no wish

to risk any legal problems for the owners of Saintsweb.

Since the UK court acquitted this man of the alleged assault, and the accuser is widely thought to be not of UK origin, it seems that if there is anything wrong with the UK, it has absolutely nothing to do with this story.

Indeed, if an allegation of this nature is made, and it is investigated thoroughly, found to be not proved and thrown out by the court, I think it reflects rather well on this country.

Off the top of my head, this is what's wrong with the UK:

The Conservative Government, Rupert Murdoch, David Cameron, the Bedroom Tax, Offshore Tax Havens, Tax Loopholes, the Right-Wing press, the lack of Social Housing, underfunded Renewable Energy, the underfunded and increasingly privatised NHS, Jeremy Hunt, George Osborne, Bankers bonuses, Fracking on National Trust land, Nicky Morgan, privatised postal system, privatised railways, Trident, Bombing Syria, UKIP, Britain First, Islamophobia, Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Xenophobia.

Edited by BlakeySFC

The Conservative Government, Rupert Murdoch, David Cameron, the Bedroom Tax, Offshore Tax Havens, Tax Loopholes, the Right-Wing press, the lack of Social Housing, underfunded Renewable Energy, the underfunded and increasingly privatised NHS, Jeremy Hunt, George Osborne, Bankers bonuses, Fracking on National Trust land, Nicky Morgan, privatised postal system, privatised railways, Trident, Bombing Syria, UKIP, Britain First, Islamophobia, Racism, Sexism, Homophobia, Xenophobia.

Oh dear - bit of a Left-winger are we?

This thread has started off pretty badly, but the OP kind of sabotaged any sensible discussion himself with some quite immature and unsophisticated comments, so I guess it's what he wanted. Anybody who thinks right or left wing politics are wholly wrong is pretty ignorant. If you are right wind by nature, but can't understand the benefits of left wing thinking, or vice versa, you are clearly a person to be avoided. Jumping straight in with childishly pejorative language doesn't help generate any kind of discussion. The idea of dismissing the whole other perspective with terms like "P.C. clowns and huggie fluffie lefties" means that you've already ruled out any ability to understand that different people experience the world differently to you and that they should be represented too. It's the sort of world view many of us had at about 16 and then grew out of.

Having right wing leanings and therefore ignoring the importance of the left wing in the world is a bit like declaring you're right handed and promptly chopping off your left hand because you don't intend to use it.

This thread has started off pretty badly, but the OP kind of sabotaged any sensible discussion himself with some quite immature and unsophisticated comments, so I guess it's what he wanted. Anybody who thinks right or left wing politics are wholly wrong is pretty ignorant. If you are right wind by nature, but can't understand the benefits of left wing thinking, or vice versa, you are clearly a person to be avoided. Jumping straight in with childishly pejorative language doesn't help generate any kind of discussion. The idea of dismissing the whole other perspective with terms like "P.C. clowns and huggie fluffie lefties" means that you've already ruled out any ability to understand that different people experience the world differently to you and that they should be represented too. It's the sort of world view many of us had at about 16 and then grew out of.

Having right wing leanings and therefore ignoring the importance of the left wing in the world is a bit like declaring you're right handed and promptly chopping off your left hand because you don't intend to use it.

I think there is a difference between what you are saying and the position of many people. I for example understand and sympathise with a number of people on the left. I do however realise that there a sizeable number who consider themselves left wing who are also "P.C. clowns and huggie fluffie lefties" as you describe them. It's not the entire left wing of the political spectrum of course but it does exist and it leaves quite a bid impression of left wing politics in general in my opinion just as I expect there is a similar feeling amongst left wingers towards the right.

Edited by hypochondriac

I think those are only the viewpoints of those lacking a wider insight. I'm sure you're sensible enough to realise that the group you are describing are matched by an equal group on the right, therefore negating any rational reason for holding it up as valid.

I think once you start giving people with another viewpoint silly labels, you are allowing yourself to pigeonhole that section of society and then give yourself an excuse to refuse to listen to alternative perspectives. This is not a mature approach to real discussion and debate and is just a way of putting your fingers in your ears and saying "wahwahwah" when somebody has something to say that you don't like. There are an equal number of idiots on the right and left and it's important to accept that pretty early on. There is no value in dismissing left wing viewpoints because you don't like a left wing person, just as the same is true the other way around. It simply makes no sense. This whole idea of right wing good/left wing bad or vice versa is just a very shallow and uncultured way to look at things. The constant pejorative use of terms like "leftie" pretty much show the poster using them as a person you can't take seriously and who isn't worth debating with. I think both sides on this board are guilty of dropping very quickly into snide insults and personal attacks, but for some reason, the name calling seems to go mostly one way. Take posts 1 and 3 as examples, both were unrealistic attempts to blame all of the country's problems on the other side, but only one went to the lowest common denominator trick of name-calling. I've found that one of the main reasons why debate founders and collapses pretty quickly on this forum.

Views are too polarised. One of the major changes I found as I grew up was the realisation that many people simply don't experience the world in the same way as I do and that their voice is as valid as mine, even though they don't speak for me. I'm surprised more people haven't had the same revelation, but keep on with the same mantra of "No, that's not right for me, therefore you are wrong/stupid/misguided."

I think those are only the viewpoints of those lacking a wider insight. I'm sure you're sensible enough to realise that the group you are describing are matched by an equal group on the right, therefore negating any rational reason for holding it up as valid.

I think once you start giving people with another viewpoint silly labels, you are allowing yourself to pigeonhole that section of society and then give yourself an excuse to refuse to listen to alternative perspectives. This is not a mature approach to real discussion and debate and is just a way of putting your fingers in your ears and saying "wahwahwah" when somebody has something to say that you don't like. There are an equal number of idiots on the right and left and it's important to accept that pretty early on. There is no value in dismissing left wing viewpoints because you don't like a left wing person, just as the same is true the other way around. It simply makes no sense. This whole idea of right wing good/left wing bad or vice versa is just a very shallow and uncultured way to look at things. The constant pejorative use of terms like "leftie" pretty much show the poster using them as a person you can't take seriously and who isn't worth debating with. I think both sides on this board are guilty of dropping very quickly into snide insults and personal attacks, but for some reason, the name calling seems to go mostly one way. Take posts 1 and 3 as examples, both were unrealistic attempts to blame all of the country's problems on the other side, but only one went to the lowest common denominator trick of name-calling. I've found that one of the main reasons why debate founders and collapses pretty quickly on this forum.

Views are too polarised. One of the major changes I found as I grew up was the realisation that many people simply don't experience the world in the same way as I do and that their voice is as valid as mine, even though they don't speak for me. I'm surprised more people haven't had the same revelation, but keep on with the same mantra of "No, that's not right for me, therefore you are wrong/stupid/misguided."

People tend to not to like having their view of the world challenged because it causes them to doubt the things they do and believe in. Its mentally more comfortable to dismiss contrary opinions as stupid or mad than to change your beliefs, particulalrly for older people. Its known as cognitive dissonance, and there is an association between higher levels of cognitive dissonance and lower intelligence - so ironically the thick are more likely to accuse you of being thick because you have a different view to them.

dilbert-cognitive-diss.jpg

Edited by buctootim

I'd agree, but add destruction of the education system.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yet we're ranked 53rd out of 241 when it comes to population density...

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_density

I expect that's got something to do with the 2/3 or so of the total surface area being dedicated to Agriculture and stuff though. Take away the wet areas which are uninhabitable and the ever increasing forest areas and the rest is fairly compact I'd think.

Having lived for a brief period abroad, the UK isn't that bad in my opinion. But I have a few thoughts.

1. High streets. Everywhere in the country, they all look the same, with the same shops, and very few cities have their own distinct shops, which I think contributes to a general theme of cities not having their own distinct culture, except perhaps London, Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff and Edinburgh/Glasgow.

2. Public transport. Dreadfully run, infrequent and awfully expensive.

3. Religion. The sooner we become a secular country the better. And publicly-funded religious schools should not exist.

I'm sure there are many more but in actual fact I think anyone who lives here is incredibly fortunate.

I expect that's got something to do with the 2/3 or so of the total surface area being dedicated to Agriculture and stuff though. Take away the wet areas which are uninhabitable and the ever increasing forest areas and the rest is fairly compact I'd think.

Take out the sparsely populated bits of any country and you are left with the heavily populated bits.

Nothing wrong with the UK. Look around the world and see the options,. Think yourselves lucky you were born in this great country and not elsewhere.

I see what you did there. You saw the parallel between this thread and the "What's wrong with the USA" thread and adopted the attitude that Americans are so often criticised for, thus creating a paradox that will turn in ever decreasing circles until we all sucked into a void that resembles the rectum of anyone who reads this thread.

Personally, I agree with whoever it was that said the political system. Prime Minister's question time is a great thing, but the way voters are forced to vote for local representation with no say in national leadership sucks donkey balls.

Oh, and Yorkshire.

Oh dear, bit of Right-winger are we? :mcinnes:

Not at all, but politics isn't about goodies versus baddies like a Western, it's much more complicated and subtle than that.

I just think there is good and bad on both sides of the political spectrum in this country.

The chav/pikey culture we could without and the fact that its made easy to live of the state. Apart from that no major things imo.

We would like to see a end of the love for reality cr@p like Only Essex, CBB and such nonsens. A upgrade on the infrastructure (road and rail) and no more modern style homes and flats.

Having lived abroad for most of my life I miss the UK lifestyle. Living on the other side of the channel isnt to bad, but hope to move back to the UK one day.

Uh-Huh..:rolleyes:..so it's alright apart from that, then. Maybe thinking of moving back one day .....or ?

It's still the best place to live in the world but there is now too much nimby self interest and lots of people at both ends of the social spectrum with no plans to do a good days work any time soon.

I genuinely think there are far fewer people living on benefits and not working than at any time in my lifetime. An awful lot of premature retirees on oversized pension pots though.

There's not a lot wrong with the UK, people moan about the weather but it's not that bad - just unpredictable. You have worse extremes in almost any other country on the planet.

The only thing I genuinely dislike is the class thing. People who think they are superior because of how they talk, where they went to school or how much money their parents happen to have. I find the everything about it both bizarre and repulsive - it's probably similar in other countries tho.

The chav/pikey culture we could without and the fact that its made easy to live of the state. Apart from that no major things imo.

We would like to see a end of the love for reality cr@p like Only Essex, CBB and such nonsens. A upgrade on the infrastructure (road and rail) and no more modern style homes and flats.

Having lived abroad for most of my life I miss the UK lifestyle. Living on the other side of the channel isnt to bad, but hope to move back to the UK one day.

Have you ever tried 'living off the state'? ... it's not easy and it's not living, it's just about surviving.

• 2 weeks later...