Help - Amazon Fire Stick

ladysaint

I must confess I don't know much about them, currently have Virgin with Sky Sports Package but for 2 Tivo Boxes + an additional HD box, Netflix, fastest internet and phone it is costing me in the region of £125 per month. Somebody has said get an Amazon firestick as you can watch all football for free and Netflix, is this the case and what sort of firestick do I need. Done a little investigating and there seems to be so many different ones. Would prefer a fully loaded stick, have a 4K TV and Bose Cinemate soundbar. Would I then just need the basic virgin package. Any recommendations or advice please.

Basically you need to google how to sideload Kodi onto the Firestick. There are plently of You Tube vids that can show you how to do it but it does help if you are computer competent as you'll need to download some Android Development tools (ADB). Once Kodi is on there you will need to install some repositories like Fusion which will then open up the world to your firestick.

Lady Saint my advice is stay away from the Firestick as it is wifi only. If you can afford it a Minix Neo box with Windows on it Kodi will run better. There is a new addon today called Exodus that will replace Genesis that has everything that Netfix has and more. There are various sports addons that can be found. A good place to learn is http://www.seo-michael.co.uk he has step by step instructions how to load addons. Avoid preloaded boxes like the plague, as they have so much stuff loaded that you will not use. If you learn to load stuff yourself you will be able to maintain your system. Personally I use a paid addon for sports with sportsmania but at £26.00 for a six month subscription it is not breaking the bank. If you want to try kodi out you can download it to your laptop or tablet and see if you like it before you start. If you also need help look on Facebook for a group called Kodi-World latest add-ons help. They are a good bunch on there and you can ask questions without worrying you will look an idiot.

I have a firestick with kodi ( The Beast Build) loaded on. Watch 2015 films and all sports available. All premiership games available. It automatically updates and appears to manage itself. What mcjwills says is probably correct but I am computor numbty so this was the easier option.

Cheers

N

Not really sure on the whole 'European Law says it's legal' stuff, mcj, sounds like a bit far-fetched to me. It does sound feasible about live streamed Sports content being technically legal though, but you can use Kodi to watch films and TV shows too, right? Cannot see that being Legal in any way.

Found this article on the Telegraph's website on the subject:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/11649188/Could-you-be-fined-for-illegally-streaming-movies-or-TV-shows.html

I know it's a bit of a legal grey area and I'm sure you're not likely to get caught or face any problems in doing so and many have the 'well if everyone else is doing it why shouldn't I mentality' but I just think it's immoral, and prefer to pay a measly £47 a month to watch Netflix, Sky Sports and Amazon, that's enough for me personally.

Edited by BlakeySFC

Lady Saint my advice is stay away from the Firestick as it is wifi only. If you can afford it a Minix Neo box with Windows on it Kodi will run better. There is a new addon today called Exodus that will replace Genesis that has everything that Netfix has and more. There are various sports addons that can be found. A good place to learn is http://www.seo-michael.co.uk he has step by step instructions how to load addons. Avoid preloaded boxes like the plague, as they have so much stuff loaded that you will not use. If you learn to load stuff yourself you will be able to maintain your system. Personally I use a paid addon for sports with sportsmania but at £26.00 for a six month subscription it is not breaking the bank. If you want to try kodi out you can download it to your laptop or tablet and see if you like it before you start. If you also need help look on Facebook for a group called Kodi-World latest add-ons help. They are a good bunch on there and you can ask questions without worrying you will look an idiot.

You think Genesis is going somewhere?

Virgin will not punish anyone doing dodgy downloads. The most you will get is a letter saying don't do it. Arguably not much of a disincentive.

And by dodgy mean Pirate Bay not sinister sh it

A friend at work got a letter from Virgin, and no word of a lie they said

"We see you download a lot of movies from high traffic torrent sites, we would respectfully ask you to do this at off peak times in order to best allow us to manage our bandwidth"

He rung up and asked, they said they know he was doing it illegally but they dont care other than the hit to their bandwidth

Lol