Can Saints or West Ham manage to gate crash the top 4 at man Citys expense?

Saint IQ

I'd say very unlikely but if one of us did what a story and a winner for football as it will show money doesn't always buy success. Add to that Pep will be walking into an actual challenge and it would be hilarious that he'd have to walk in to playing on thursdays in the Europa league while re building a squad. Even if Man United pip them it will be funny.

Also whenever talk of this comes up for us it always goes tits up, but for some reason i just can't see that happening. I also can't see us making up 7 points on City in the last 12 though, unless Aguero + Kompany miss a large percentage of the remaining games and we beat them at home on 30th April with 2 games to go after that

Edited by Saint IQ

No I really don't think so. City are in bad form atm but it will take us winning most of our remaining games which I just can't see happening. 5th would still be an amazing feat. I still think top 7 is where we are aiming but the chasing pack are not far behind at all.

If it were to happen, it would be THE best season the top flight has ever seen ever.

It's a 7 point gap. If we beat them, then it's a 4 point gap. In their remaining fixtures, they go to Liverpool next, they have a Manchester derby at home, they have to go to Chelsea and they have Arsenal at home in their penultimate fixture, when Arsenal may have to win to secure the title or stay in the title race.

Plenty of opportunities for them to drop points but it would take an unbelievable run on our part. I'd say possible, but improbable.

No I really don't think so. City are in bad form atm but it will take us winning most of our remaining games which I just can't see happening. 5th would still be an amazing feat. I still think top 7 is where we are aiming but the chasing pack are not far behind at all.

If it were to happen, it would be THE best season the top flight has ever seen ever.

Sorry to MLG you, but you are wrong there, our highest-ever league finish was second in the First Division in 1983–84.

As Nigel Adkins would say, let's take it one game at a time and control the controllables.

Whilst we are in some good form, we've got some tricky games like Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City at home and Stoke, Everton and Spurs away.

Best time to have them.

Though of course you have missed Leicester away from that list for some reason.

It's not just points the current top 4 sides have a massive goal difference advantage over everyone else to. The current top 4 will be the top four at the end of the season the only thing up for debate is what order they will be in. Would be perfectly happy finishing 5th or 6th which would be another best ever PL finish for us.

No chance. I still think City can actually win the league. To suggest us overtaking them is as ridiculous as the relegation talk on here a few weeks back. The top 4 teams are sorted, but 5th/6th/7th to play for. It's probably between us, Utd, West Ham and (as much as it pains me to say) Liverpool. It's crazy how we have turned things round, but it was clear we had a decent squad.

What's the position required for Europa? Will 7th be enough, or will it be dependent on a top 4 side winning FA cup?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

No chance. I still think City can actually win the league. To suggest us overtaking them is as ridiculous as the relegation talk on here a few weeks back. The top 4 teams are sorted, but 5th/6th/7th to play for. It's probably between us, Utd, West Ham and (as much as it pains me to say) Liverpool. It's crazy how we have turned things round, but it was clear we had a decent squad.

What's the position required for Europa? Will 7th be enough, or will it be dependent on a top 4 side winning FA cup?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i agree i don't think it is even worth discussing top 4 at this stage, we're just a couple of defeats from dropping back down the table. Keep on the good run and see where we are in April but most likely i think we'll be 7th or 8th. Liverpool always finish above us and i can still see Everton putting a good run together. West Ham and Everton should have the distraction of the FA Cup , Chelsea are still capable of catching us with a good run in.

We could do with Man City winning the league cup next weekend which should guarantee Europe for 6th place in the league, with any luck the FA Cup will be won by a team already in Europe and 7th will once again qualify. That should keep our season interesting for a while.

I'd say Forest getting promoted, then winning the League in their first year back ranks better. That and the fact they then went on to win two European Cups in a row.

So often people make the mistake of thinking form is permanent. 6 weeks ago people were talking about relegation, "if we only win 1 more game in our last 19" now people are talking about overhauling a 7 point gap on Man City.

Neither is realistic, City will improve and sooner rather than later we will let in a few goals again. 5th though is definitely up for grabs. How sweet would it be to finish above all the defectors at Liverpool and Utd.

21 points from our remaining 12 games would see us top last year's points tally. 6W 3D and 3D, that's got to be a realistic challenge. No reason we can't win all 4 in March. Bompey, Stoke and Sunderland, then Liverpool at home. Villa and Newcastle in April, then finishing at home to Palace are all in the winnable category. That's assuming we get nothing from Chelsea and City at home, as well as trips to Spurs, Leicester and Everton.

As Saints older fans will recall....the last 10 games can be make or break when it comes to title fights.

My late father (Saints fan in the post-WW2 day), never stopped lamenting the massive fallout that Saints suffered in 1948-49 (an 8 point lead at Easter and then SLUMP!

....and the following (1949-50 season), when Saints were undefeated in their last 9 games, and being one of three teams on the same points - lost out on goal average.

Everyone has been waiting for Leicester to implode, but I wonder if they will survive the Easter period intact?.

The psychological effect of Welbecks 94th-and-a bit minutes winner against Arsenal must have been a bitter pill, and rather unjust to them.

The real question is about the continuation of Saints' good form, and that may be answered when matches start again after the weekend break.

We have something to prove, and with Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City at Home......and Leicester, Everton and Tottenham - Away, it will be a good test of our durability.

The big question may not be - will Man.City qualify, but (if it everything suddenly goes pear-shaped)....will Leicester?

If Saints can continue their present form, we may be able to take up the spare place - in our own right.

Edited by david in sweden

Who knows? It really has been the most unpredictable season in the history of the PL. of course it's hugely unlikely, but I think there could be time for one more surprise.

This season has been so brilliant, I'm happy to just sit back and enjoy each game as it comes rather than worry about where we'll finish.

won't happen. don't mind where we finish as long as it's top half.

the recent run of form hasn't made me change my expectations to top 6, just it's been a refreshing reminder that we are still a strong side, strong defensively, who - with a bit of luck and some players (long, JWP, clasie, romeu) having a few good games - are a tricky fixture for any team.

felt that the dream had ended in Nov/Dec last year and that Mane, Wanyama, arguably Pelle would all leave, while Cedric, Clasie, Long and Romeu hadn't shown their value. With Stekkers with Tekkers between the posts, it was looking grim at best.

Now things have changed, I'm confident our midfield will be OK next year, I'm happy we aren't so reliant on Pelle, and that we've got some genuinely really good talent in our squad who I think will stick around for a few years to come (Bertrand, VVD, Forster, Clasie, Cedric, Romeu, Austin etc.).

We march on! (but maybe not to top 6 this season..)

Very little chance of finishing above City, they would have to go into complete meltdown to miss out on a CL place now. Has definitely been the best season I can remember since Sky's money ruined it all tho.

Leicester have proved how wrong certain posters on here are about how a club of Saints' size could win a CL spot or even win the league - so many of the usual nobbers on here slated people for even suggesting it.

Ironic - but very true. A few more " crazy Clattenburg decisions" :scared: might decide the title places, regardless of what the teams may achieve on the pitch.

Just like Kevin Friend basically kept us from finishing 6th last season with 2 penalty decisions at home to Liverpool and put us into the Europa League qualifiers instead of the group stages.

6	Liverpool       38	18	8	12	52	48	+4	62
7	Southampton	38	18	6	14	54	33	+21	60

Just like Kevin Friend basically kept us from finishing 6th last season with 2 penalty decisions at home to Liverpool and put us into the Europa League qualifiers instead of the group stages.

6Liverpool       38188125248+462
7Southampton38186145433+2160

Nothing about the other 37 games, especially our poor run near the the end?

Very little chance of finishing above City, they would have to go into complete meltdown to miss out on a CL place now. Has definitely been the best season I can remember since Sky's money ruined it all tho.

Leicester have proved how wrong certain posters on here are about how a club of Saints' size could win a CL spot or even win the league - so many of the usual nobbers on here slated people for even suggesting it.

Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league at the start of the season, I think the past 20 years have shown the chances of anyone other than the biggest clubs with the most money winning the league is that much of an outside bet. We've already seen the impact of having Wasilewski on the pitch instead of Simpson for them, and that lack of squad depth compared to their rivals NOT being a factor has been essential.

Frankly this season is the perfect storm of tactical sea-change, Ranieri's ability, other top players being unmotivated and injured at key times, Vardy and Mahrez being on fire at levels they've never reached before, some luck (a point at St Mary's with Kelvin in goal for a start) and Leicester not having to use much of their squad and therefore having something resembling their best eleven on the pitch more often than is usual (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3349675/Leicester-City-boss-Claudio-Ranieri-used-just-20-players-Premier-League-far-second-fewest-team.html).

This will not happen again any time soon unless the top players continue to steal a living without putting any effort in, which opens the door for others to succeed based on something other than wages paid.

Whether we have a realistic chance will depend on the Man City game. We're unlikely to win, but it's certainly possible.

Can we make up the 4 other points in 11 games? Also unlikely, but possible.

Even if we manage that, we could be pushed down out of the top 4 by West Ham or Man Utd.

So, the odds are vastly against us, but not as vastly against us as they were 6 games ago.

I'm certainly not giving up hope on making top 4 yet.

All reflected in the table, but one of those bolted-on penalties from Friend would have changed those finishing positions nevertheless.

Not necessarily. The first one wasn't "bolted-on" as you say. The second one was when we were already 1-0 down, so there is no absolute guarantee that we would actually have won/drawn the game anyway had it been given.

Where are our resident statisticians when you need them? We need the data on what % likely we are to finish top 4 before we can make an informed decision. it was all the rage last season and anyone who pointed out it was a load of nonsense was rounded upon. So until someone provides this it's impossible to say.

Not necessarily. The first one wasn't "bolted-on" as you say. The second one was when we were already 1-0 down, so there is no absolute guarantee that we would actually have won/drawn the game anyway had it been given.

Plus a red card - good chance we might have done.

We had three penalty shouts in that match (handball by Lovren as well as the two fouls on Djuricic) and the first two ought to have been a red card as well.

Plus a possible red for Mignolet's handball that wasn't given.

Friend did as much as he possibly could to ensure we got a worse result than we might otherwise have done.