EURO '16

hutch

As we haven't got a match this weekend let's find something else to argue about.

So who's going to France then?

Nailed on

Forster

Fonte

Bertrand

Tadic

Davis

$hlong

Probable

Cedric

Pelle

Outsiders

JWP

Romeu

Austin

Any more? 10 would be a fair show with our 2½ Dutchmen in the corporate boxes.

Be pretty sickening if Gibbs is in the squad/play ahead of Bertrand.

he never ever starts for arsenal and rarely plays at all in any league game. Unless he comes on with 10 mins to go as a left midfielder

no what what so ever does he deserve to play. Like chamberlain. The lad needs out of that club. But it suits him as he likes the status, lifestyle and of course £££

I have been thinking about JWP and Targett being outsiders to get into the England squad for the summer.

I would have to say it is very unlikely still, but our club is obviously well regarded within the England setup these days, and if they both keep their performances going until the end of the season, then you never know.

Hart, Butland, Forster

Walker, Bertrand, Baines, Stones, Smalling, Jagielka, Cahill

Henderson, Barkley, AOC, Sterling, Alli, Dier, Wilshere, Milner, Walcott

Kane, Rooney, Vardy, Sturridge

This would be my 23. One thing's for sure, he has the biggest squad selection headache since he came in, and for any England manager for a while. There are players like Carrick/Jones/Welbeck/Shelvey/Delph/Gibbs and injuries like Shaw who could all miss out. We have cover in most areas apart from CB, where we are incredibly weak and I'm not even sold on our first choice pairing.

Hart, Butland, Forster

This would be my 23. One thing's for sure, he has the biggest squad selection headache since he came in, and for any England manager for a while. There are players like Carrick/Jones/Welbeck/Shelvey/Delph/Gibbs and injuries like Shaw who could all miss out. We have cover in most areas apart from CB, where we are incredibly weak and I'm not even sold on our first choice pairing.

iof welbeck is fit, he will be in. Roy likes him a lot and even made a point about him on MOTD (not sturridge though)

Who knows but the first 11 will be

Hart

Clyne Stones Cahill Gibbs

Milner Wilshire Lallana Alli

Sturridge Rooney

That is the problem with Hodgson, won't play the players that are turning it on week in and week out, Ali, Vardy. And will play his star two even if not match fit, Rooney & Wiltshire.

The line up will have Lallana, Wiltshire, Sterling, Henderson, Milner, Rooney and Sturridge playing somewhere leaving the players I would love doing it for England stay on the bench. Ali, Vardy & Kane.

I have been thinking about JWP and Targett being outsiders to get into the England squad for the summer.

I would have to say it is very unlikely still, but our club is obviously well regarded within the England setup these days, and if they both keep their performances going until the end of the season, then you never know.

Targett is no where near good enough - that's not to say he couldn't be in 2-3 years - and JWP will only be considered if he starts scoring from open play.

What this thread already highlights is that for the first time in quite a while we have a pretty decent group of players and whoever the 11 is that starts there will some quality in the bench.

We could win it but I think this will be a good euros regardless!

Hart, Butland, Forster

No Clyne?

As we haven't got a match this weekend let's find something else to argue about.

So who's going to France then?

Nailed on

Forster

Fonte

Bertrand

Tadic

Davis

$hlong

Probable

Cedric

Pelle

Outsiders

JWP

Romeu

Austin

Any more? 10 would be a fair show with our 2½ Dutchmen in the corporate boxes.

Only other one I can think of that you've not mentioned is Gardos. He was playing regularly for Romania before his injury and should have a good chance of at least making the squad. Needs to get some minutes for us if he wants to get much playing time at the Euros though.

I wonder if the dreadful phil jones will make the squad?

I certainly hope not. Sometimes his versatility (i.e he can be cr@p in lots of positions) is used as a reason to take him, thus not having to pick back ups for every position, but as Smalling and Stones can play RB if needed surely there can't be any more excuses for him to be in the squad.

I'd rather use Smalling/Stones as RB cover, giving us more options upfront/midfield. Clyne has been poor this season by his standards and has (IMO) never really played well for England (even when with us). Walker has been much better this season and has more experience.

Realised I didn't even include Lallana in the squad! He's been very poor this year, so a shoo-in.

I mentioned a while back on the JWP thread that he was my dark horse for getting a call up. There's usually at least 1 'wild card' pick in an England tournament squad and it wouldn't surprise me if JWP got the call.

(don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to happen, just won't be surprised if it does, as JWP is one of the few players (to my knowledge) that Hodgson has openly mentioned when asked about young(er) players that are on his radar)

Hart/Butland/Forster

Clyne/Walker, Bertrand/Baines, Stones/Smalling/Jagielka/Cahill

AOC/Walcott, Henderson/Dier, Barkley/Alli, Townsend/Sterling

Kane/Rooney/Vardy/Sturridge

Having said that, is Roy actually going to leave out Delph and Milner (he is very loyal) in favour of Ali and Dier? LOLana/Townsend is an interesting choice. Very different players, but both played a fair bit under Roy.

I have to say our centre backs still worry me. We should have taken Stones to the World Cup. Jangielka is never international class. Also, forget the recent errors by Stones (and of course putting to one side how good he is on the ball), IMO his positional play leaves a lot to be desired. The number of times he (like Jagielka) gets stuck under a crossed ball is scary. But who else is there?

I mentioned a while back on the JWP thread that he was my dark horse for getting a call up. There's usually at least 1 'wild card' pick in an England tournament squad and it wouldn't surprise me if JWP got the call.

(don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to happen, just won't be surprised if it does, as JWP is one of the few players (to my knowledge) that Hodgson has openly mentioned when asked about young(er) players that are on his radar)

It would surprise me. Who would be dropped to fit him in? There would need to be some injuries...

Targett is no where near good enough - that's not to say he couldn't be in 2-3 years - and JWP will only be considered if he starts scoring from open play.

What this thread already highlights is that for the first time in quite a while we have a pretty decent group of players and whoever the 11 is that starts there will some quality in the bench.

We could win it but I think this will be a good euros regardless!

Win it !! You are either deluded or an eternal optimist or on a windup.

Would love to see

Forster

Clyne Stones Cahill Bertrand

Dier Alli

Vardy Barkley Sterling

Kane

Will probably be:

Hart

Jones Smalling Jagielka Baines

Henderson Carrick

AOC Rooney Welbeck

Sturridge

Why would you put Vardy on the wing? He's completely ineffective there.

Hart/Butland/Forster

Clyne/Walker, Bertrand/Baines, Stones/Smalling/Jagielka/Cahill

AOC/Walcott, Henderson/Dier, Barkley/Alli, Townsend/Sterling

Kane/Rooney/Vardy/Sturridge

Having said that, is Roy actually going to leave out Delph and Milner (he is very loyal) in favour of Ali and Dier? LOLana/Townsend is an interesting choice. Very different players, but both played a fair bit under Roy.

I have to say our centre backs still worry me. We should have taken Stones to the World Cup. Jangielka is never international class. Also, forget the recent errors by Stones (and of course putting to one side how good he is on the ball), IMO his positional play leaves a lot to be desired. The number of times he (like Jagielka) gets stuck under a crossed ball is scary. But who else is there?

This is near enough what it'll be i reckon, injuries aside. He will take Delph though, he seems to like him. And Shelvey perhaps.

Some England players in the reckoning to go to France (and Phil Jones ha) were modelling the England suits today, and pulling off dodgy poses.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/england-stars-harry-kane-dele-alli-gary-cahill-and-kieran-gibbs-model-new-marks-spencer-euro-2016-a3182776.html#gallery

Would Bertrand necessarily go? There's a lot of competition in that position in Baines, Gibbs (who like Bertrand modelled) and Rose (who has had a decent season.)

I would like to see a high energy counter attacking 3-5-2 formation,

------------------Hart----------------------

--------Stones Smalling Bertrand--------

Clyne----------------------------------Rose

---------Henderson---Milner---------------

------------------Rooney-------------------

----------Kane----------Vardy--------------

Subs: Forster,Butland,Walker,Dier,Cahill,Gibbs,Alli,Drinkwater,Barkley,Sturridge,Sterling,Walcott

This is near enough what it'll be i reckon, injuries aside. He will take Delph though, he seems to like him. And Shelvey perhaps.

Delph offers energy, but instead who, Dier? Shelves won't go unless we get a host of injuries. For me he's a liability if played in a deep role. Touch not good enough and gets caught in possession. He has play further forward and in Barkley, Ali and Rooney we have better options.

I would like to see a high energy counter attacking 3-5-2 formation,

------------------Hart----------------------

--------Stones Smalling Bertrand--------

Clyne----------------------------------Rose

---------Henderson---Milner---------------

------------------Rooney-------------------

----------Kane----------Vardy--------------

Subs: Forster,Butland,Walker,Dier,Cahill,Gibbs,Alli,Drinkwater,Barkley,Sturridge,Sterling,Walcott

Like this against the top sides that may retain the ball against us. Works well for saints. Not sure Clyne quite has enough on the ball to play wing back. So one footed.

Seriously though, how many injuries would Holland need before Stekelenberg got back in? :-)

Stekelenburg has already got himself back in the Dutch squad based on his performances for Saints. However Netherlands have not qualified.

Rooney out for around 2 months.

you watch England look decent in the games he misses then he walks straight back in. Captain fantastic and all that

I think it's remarkably coincidental that Rooney disappears off the face of the earth literally days after Hodgson says on national tv that Rooney is his captain and is going to the Euros. With Man U not really playing for anything and Van Gaal probably looking for a reason to leave him out he's probably getting knee surgery so he's ready for the summer.

Why would you put Vardy on the wing? He's completely ineffective there.

He was pretty effective on the wing against Saints last season.

I'm still waiting to see if UEFA take any money out of my account. Got hotels booked in Lille and Paris for the first week of the tournament, we're flying back the morning of the England v Wales match, unless we get tickets for it. :o

Hodgson is going to **** it right up - it would be a miracle if he didn't. That MOTD interview was so depressing. We actually have the players to do well but he won't use them. None of Milner, Henderson, Carrick, Jones, Welbeck should be in the squad but a load of them will be and probably three of those will start. Out of form players like Cahill, Chamberlain and Walcott will go and in form players like Dier and Vardy probably won't. Vardy will be up against Welbeck for a place and he'll lose out if that's the case. Rooney injury just means that he'll be unfit for the tournament but he'll still play every game at the expense of Barkley. Hodgson has learnt absolutely nothing from the abysmal World Cup campaign. He could have used the easiest qualifying group in history to consign the likes of Milner and Carrick to the bin but you just know he'll arrive at the tournament and it'll be safety first - use the tried and failed. My money is on Stones being picked at right back.

From a Saints perspective - Fraser will be 2nd choice and not get a game and Bertrand, though he should be first choice, won't even go as Baines (can't defend), Gibbs (never plays) and Rose (bang average) will be ahead of him.

My predicted Hodgson team for the first game.

--------------Hart

Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Baines

-------Carrick, Henderson

Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

------------Kane

Rest of squad: Forster, Butland, Clyne, Rose, Jones, Milner, Alli, Lallana, Chamberlain, Walcott, Barkley, Sturridge

Out: Jagielka, Bertrand, Shelvey, Dier, Vardy, Delph, Wilshere (injured)

Hodgson is going to **** it right up - it would be a miracle if he didn't. That MOTD interview was so depressing. We actually have the players to do well but he won't use them. None of Milner, Henderson, Carrick, Jones, Welbeck should be in the squad but a load of them will be and probably three of those will start. Out of form players like Cahill, Chamberlain and Walcott will go and in form players like Dier and Vardy probably won't. Vardy will be up against Welbeck for a place and he'll lose out if that's the case. Rooney injury just means that he'll be unfit for the tournament but he'll still play every game at the expense of Barkley. Hodgson has learnt absolutely nothing from the abysmal World Cup campaign. He could have used the easiest qualifying group in history to consign the likes of Milner and Carrick to the bin but you just know he'll arrive at the tournament and it'll be safety first - use the tried and failed. My money is on Stones being picked at right back.

From a Saints perspective - Fraser will be 2nd choice and not get a game and Bertrand, though he should be first choice, won't even go as Baines (can't defend), Gibbs (never plays) and Rose (bang average) will be ahead of him.

My predicted Hodgson team for the first game.

--------------Hart

Stones, Cahill, Smalling, Baines

-------Carrick, Henderson

Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck

------------Kane

Rest of squad: Forster, Butland, Clyne, Rose, Jones, Milner, Alli, Lallana, Chamberlain, Walcott, Barkley, Sturridge

Out: Jagielka, Bertrand, Shelvey, Dier, Vardy, Delph, Wilshere (injured)

Do we really have the players to do well? No doubt the likes of Barkley and Dier are only one tournament campaign away from being generally regarded as a waste of space and why don't we pick XXX instead. And so it goes on.

Will be happy if we make the quarters.

If down to me....

Starting XI (4-1-3-2)

Hart, Clyne, Bertrand, Shawcross, Stones; Dier, Alli; Barkley, Sterling; Vardy, Kane

Rest of Squad

Forster, Butland, Rose, Cahill, Smalling, Drinkwater, Delph, Walcott, Rooney, Sturrridge (or Welbeck), Lallana, Wilshere (or Shelvey)

I just don't want to see phill Jones at right back orMilner in the side and Rooney actually replaced if he continues his horrific tournament form

Kane needs to score twice in every single warm up game to keep Rooney out of the side. Probably Vardy and Kane need to score twice each.

Do we really have the players to do well? No doubt the likes of Barkley and Dier are only one tournament campaign away from being generally regarded as a waste of space and why don't we pick XXX instead. And so it goes on.

Will be happy if we make the quarters.

The point is that Hodgson will ensure that we don't do as well as we should do. He won't get the best out of the resources at his disposal which is a large part of a managers job after all. I reckon that with a following wind we could make the quarters but even if he doesn't in the group games, as soon as we play someone decent he'll pick all his old 'reliables' and it'll be like World Cup 2014 never happened.

Can someone, please, tell me the point in Jordan Henderson? He's so frustratingly ****e.

He ticks all the boxes. English and Liverpool skipper. Guaranteed to get picked. Much like sitting in the bench at United

I can see lingard having a huge chance of going to the euros