Easter Weekend - No Football?

JackanorySFC

Am I going mad or is this the first Easter Weekend (Fri Mar 25th - Mon Mar 28th) where we don't have a game? Maybe I'm going back to the days when we always seemed to need a "good Easter" to give ourselves the best chance of staying up. Could swear there would traditionally be 2 games over this period?

Ok just Googled it - yep England play Germany (away) and the Dutch (at home). Good games TBF and as someone travelling to France this summer definitely much needed. Still gutted no Saints games on though.

Am I going mad or is this the first Easter Weekend (Fri Mar 25th - Mon Mar 28th) where we don't have a game? Maybe I'm going back to the days when we always seemed to need a "good Easter" to give ourselves the best chance of staying up. Could swear there would traditionally be 2 games over this period?

Ok just Googled it - yep England play Germany (away) and the Dutch (at home). Good games TBF and as someone travelling to France this summer definitely much needed. Still gutted no Saints games on though.

I wondered that too - I also thought I was going mad :|

Glad I'm not losing it :-)

Seriously though this seems to have slipped under the radar? Easter domestic football has been around for as long as I can remember (and it seems others with far longer memories than mine), love the back to back nature of football over Easter and Christmas, can make a huge difference to a Club's fortunes and for a fan games coming thick and fast is all part of the fun.

High ticket prices, player wages, agent's sucking money out of the game, celebrity player/ ref culture, all seater stadia, winter breaks, 39th games, pre season tours on the other side of the planet, £100k a week players "tired", games being moved last minute for TV, FA Cup going midweek, Michael Owen commentating, mercenary players/ managers, "bubble" trips to derby matches, sponsored stadiums in retail parks... Best add lack of Easter football to the reasons I look back on the L1 and Championship days all misty eyed sometimes.

Seriously though this seems to have slipped under the radar? Easter domestic football has been around for as long as I can remember (and it seems others with far longer memories than mine), love the back to back nature of football over Easter and Christmas, can make a huge difference to a Club's fortunes and for a fan games coming thick and fast is all part of the fun.

High ticket prices, player wages, agent's sucking money out of the game, celebrity player/ ref culture, all seater stadia, winter breaks, 39th games, pre season tours on the other side of the planet, £100k a week players "tired", games being moved last minute for TV, FA Cup going midweek, Michael Owen commentating, mercenary players/ managers, "bubble" trips to derby matches, sponsored stadiums in retail parks... Best add lack of Easter football to the reasons I look back on the L1 and Championship days all misty eyed sometimes.

Please don't, I'm starting to cry :(

Amen.

In 1975/76 we played at Plymouth on good Friday were at Bristol Rovers the following day and home to Oxford on the Monday went to all three games

So did I & I didn't live in Devon in those days! We lost both away games, scraped a win against Oxford and won the cup twp weeks later!

There's a full schedule of lower and non-league fixtures so an opportunity to take in a game at Eastleigh / Sholing or equivalent near you.

The England v Holland game on 29th could be of interest to us if Forster and Bertrand feature for England against Stekelenburg, Clasie and Van Dijk for the Dutch.

So true