Would you be happy for Saints to lose...

CylonKing

If Leicester win the league, what if any of our players think Leicester and champions league should be their next club? Not sure I'd like that - I can just about find an excuse for our our players leaving for so called bigger clubs, but not sure I'd like any of them to think Leicester are bigger than us.

So no, we beat them, we want Arsenal or Man City to win league, and we want US to be the ones that displace the hierarchy or the premier league.

So you as a fan of a mid-sized provincial club would want another mid-sized provincial club to succeed where we have failed. Every season most big clubs don't win the league so do you really think not winning it again will be any worse for them because Leicester win it.

And if anyone thinks that Leicester winning the league helps us in any way is a nutter.

I haven't said anything about it helping us, I just like the idea that someone else will win it other than sides with shedloads more cash than the others. Hell, we're looking back to Blackburn winning it with something approaching fondness nowadays. They were the worst thing to happen to English football in terms of money at the time, but now it looks like genius timing and a miracle it ever happened.

I thought Newport County were The9's favourite team anyway, with Saints 2nd?

Fortunately I've never had to choose.

I've only got a season ticket to one of them and it's Saints, but I have missed two Saints home games this season to tick off a few League 2 grounds (twice in total). If they ever played each other I'd just go in the away end wherever it was played. I've also had 11 times more Saints Season Tickets than Newport ones, and I've also played against Newport County which was... weird.

Probably worth bearing in mind that I win £600 if Newport get relegated this season, but I'm also a Newport Supporter's Trust shareholder.

I'm an enigma wrapped up in a paradox, me. :)

I'm going to hold my hands up and say I'm also a bit bitter/envious that it's not us , I know I'll get pelters bit wherever they finish it'll be a fluke caused by a perfect storm of luck , The league being the most open its been for years and Pearson losing the plot a little imo ! (Not saying if they win it won't be deserved)

Would you be happy for Saints to lose away to Leicester if it meant they went on to win the league because of that win?

No.

If they're going to win it, I'd rather they did it without beating us.

I'd be pleased for them if they won the PL, and I'd rather Leicester won it if it's between them, City, Spurs and Arsenal.

But I really don't like Saints losing - spoils MoTD, for one thing! :p

The only way I would grudgingly accept a Saints defeat in those circumstances would be if:

1. our position in Europe is already secure

2. we don't drop any places in the PL (see point 6)

3. we only lose by one goal, eg. 2-1 (retaining our decent goal difference - sorry, Fraser!)

4. Brighton fail to gain promotion

5. Pompey get relegated

6. Spurs lose by many goals and drop below us in the PL on goal difference

7. Liverpool are already way behind us

8. Chelsea get relegated in the last minute of the last game of the season

Then I might, just, maybe accept it as an "ok, at least [all of the above] happened."

If there was nothing riding on it for Southampton, yes.. I also know that most if not all poopey fans hate Leicester. Apparently in 1993 poopey finished third and Leicester sixth in the championship(or whatever it was called then) and it was Leicester that got promoted. The level of hatred of Leicester because of this almost equals their hatred of us!!

I want Leicester to win every game between now and the end of the season - apart from the game v us.

I hope they win the league and we stuff em 4-0.

(I can understand people saying 'don't care who wins the league if it ain't Saints' but wanting Arsenal to win it instead of Leicester? Just #### off).

I'm not a kid any more. I appreciate football is a complex game and Saints will lose games before the end of the season. I'm cool with that and it doesn't upset me any more like it used to. If one of those games we lose happens to be against Leicester then so be it. Good for them.

I haven't said anything about it helping us, I just like the idea that someone else will win it other than sides with shedloads more cash than the others. Hell, we're looking back to Blackburn winning it with something approaching fondness nowadays. They were the worst thing to happen to English football in terms of money at the time, but now it looks like genius timing and a miracle it ever happened.

I know you didn't that's why that bit was directed at 'anyone'.

Each to their own but but I'm jealous of Leicester because I think with a fair wind that could have been us. Blackburn did it with money and it made me hate them and I still don't like them now. Still the footballing gods are punishing them with the Venkies.

I never positively want to see our team lose a football match of course. However, with our club perfectly safe from any threat of relegation, the extra points will soon be forgotten in Southampton while seeing a little club like Leicester win the PL would be almost a ''once in a lifetime'' experience. It would be good for the wider English game I think if little LCFC can win the title this season.

So if this scenario were to happen then I for one could certainly live with it - but Leicester have to truly earn their victory because we're certainly not going to roll over for them.

I couldn't give two monkey's farts about Leicester. Only Saints, and to that end I only wish for a Saints win. I think we'll get it too, if we keep up recent form. Leicester winning the league would be a massive David vs Goliath story, and even them achieving top 4 would be impressive, but I can't see the title happening. They shot themselves in the foot last week against Arsenal.

Arsenal for the title for me, though they need to find some consistency quick. (Though I can see Spurs winning it.) IF Leicester win it, then fair play. The benefit of that will be an extremely interesting summer transfer window.

Odd question.

I would never want Saints to lose in any situation. I couldn't give a **** who wins the league.

Given the number of replies would suggest it is a fair question.

I think weird that so many have no interest in what is going on around them and must make watching football quite dull

Cheers for the replies everyone. It is good to see this has sparked a bit of debate. Overall I think most people don't want us to lose, but would like Leicester to win the title. As I alluded to at the start, personally the ideal for me would be for us to continue this great run, beating Leicester in the process, us finishing in the top 4, above Spuds and with Leicester still winning the title....if not us. Think it would be good for football in this country overall.

I'm going to hold my hands up and say I'm also a bit bitter/envious that it's not us , I know I'll get pelters bit wherever they finish it'll be a fluke caused by a perfect storm of luck , The league being the most open its been for years and Pearson losing the plot a little imo ! (Not saying if they win it won't be deserved)

I'm the same! Would be so jealous if they won it and would constantly wonder what if! I said the same to my chelsea fan brother in law the other day, it's been almost a perfect storm in terms of others not being in their usual places and Vardy and Mahrez having the season of their lives!

No.

This reminds me of when Pompey fans wanted their team to lose to West Brom so Saints would be relegated. Look where that's got them.

Don't forget the Chelsea fans booing their own side when they were playing Bolton in the last game of 1997/8 because they wanted to see Everton go down, not Bolton.

Plus the Skates at West Brom made no difference to us getting relegated, we started above West Brom and because we lost we would have gone down even if West Brom had lost, but if we'd won we'd have stayed up irrespective. Had we drawn it would have been the difference as we'd have been 18th on 33 points with them safe on 34, but we didn't.

Edited by The9

Don't forget the Chelsea fans booing their own side when they were playing Bolton in the last game of 1997/8 because they wanted to see Everton go down, not Bolton.

Plus the Skates at West Brom made no difference to us getting relegated, we started above West Brom and because we lost we would have gone down even if West Brom had lost, but if we'd won we'd have stayed up irrespective. Had we drawn it would have been the difference as we'd have been 18th on 33 points with them safe on 34, but we didn't.

Had WBA lost and we got a point we would have stayed up.

If you win the league, you win it over the full season and not on individual results - so no, other teams need to create their own fortunes and i always want saints to win. If Arsenal, Spuds or whoever win it this year then congratulations to them as they will have deserved it.

The mentality that drives you to want your team to lose just so that another team that you have a dislike of can't succeed comes from the same place as when the jocks always support who england are playing against - its a bit sad.

I would not want us to lose te Leicester game.

If at the end of the season though a defeat at Leicester deprived spurs of the title then it would - in hindsight- be a lot more palatable.

Shall we drop points at Bournemouth as well while we're at it to help them stay up ?

if they draw the second game with us, but go on to win the league, would it be an undeserved title?

I am not sure of your rationale here. If they get more points than anyone else then they deserve to win the title. I don't understand any other line of reasoning.

57 years means.....?

it means .." Whelk " that I've awaited every game in the hope that we'd get some positive result out of it, (and there have been a lot of disappointments along the way), but the thought that I might be " happy " for Saints to lose a game has never entered my head.

Do you look forward to the prospect of Saints losing a game?

I could never support the opposition, but if we accept that Saints will lose a couple of games between now and the end of the season, I'd rather it was against them. I'd be unhappy with the defeat, but see the opposition as some sort of consolation!

I think the National Lottery campaign of #pleasenotthem should be recreated with the Premier League & Tottenham.