The great Wanyama debate....

georgeweahscousin

I'm in the 'cash in' camp. He's been exposed since Morgan left. He's a liability and I get the feeling he's also not a good influence in the dressing room with the strops he's thrown.

He can have a fantastic game but only when it suits him. If he's not in the mood, which is all too regular then he's not worth his place. When he's like that he slows the game down, puts in silly challenges and in general is a negative in the team.

He seems to be rated highly by other teams fans but I think many of the top 4 who were interested have moved on.

At this point, he is no better than us in this league. I don't mind him staying so long as he pulls his finger out.

....certainly a player that splits opinion.

Voting has ended, and it looks like slightly more Saints fans want to keep him than sell, but if you look at the replies, the 'sell' supporters are far more vocal!

http://georgeweahscousin.com/kangeroo-court-wanyamas-saints-future/

personally I think he's more of liability than a resource. Reluctantly, I'd let him go to another club where he might fit it better.

I'm sure Ron / Les have a suitable replacement hidden away somewhere in the " Black Box"....

It really doesn't matter what we think. His agent needs the commission and Vic is not strong enough to make up his own mind (weird given how strong he is on the pitch) so he will be gone in the summer.

He still has a lot to learn here before we can define him in the same class as Morgan, Luke, Gareth or Theo.

It really doesn't matter what we think. His agent needs the commission and Vic is not strong enough to make up his own mind (weird given how strong he is on the pitch) so he will be gone in the summer.

He still has a lot to learn here before we can define him in the same class as Morgan, Luke, Gareth or Theo.

perhaps one of the main differences is that Theo, Gareth and Luke (not forgetting AlexO-C) all came through the Academy and played Saints' football at a lower level.

Morgan, of course was never an Academy graduate although he was only 18 when he arrived, and we were still Championship level.

Victor has progressed through several clubs to get to us , and his time at Saints is the last rung on the ladder before he hits the real big time (££££-wise).

Whether or not Victor will be able to turn in the same level of performance in a " bigger club " remains to be seen, but he might want to take a look at the careers of those others who have been - and gone, and see how they have got along.

Larger bank accounts come, but many have to be content with a bench place every other game, and their international careers fade very quickly afterwards.

Those who enjoyed 90 minute games every week of the season will be sorely disappointed.

I'm in the keep him group. Lets be honest, who would be disappointed if he signed a new contract on Monday?

I was of the belief we could get away with missing him vs Swansea, but we will definitely miss him vs Chelsea.

I think the discussion will be mute anyway as it's probably inevitable he will leave for a reduced fee in the summer.

He is the best defensive midfielder we have and we should try to extend his contract if we can.

Disagree. He's just a big lump, very little footballing ability whatsoever and the only good games he has are against the better teams where he's able to bully and intimidate players. Ask him to do something with the ball and he's absolutely hopeless.

Romeu is a better player and his partnership with Clasie will prove to be a very good one IMO

Disagree. He's just a big lump, very little footballing ability whatsoever and the only good games he has are against the better teams where he's able to bully and intimidate players. Ask him to do something with the ball and he's absolutely hopeless.

Romeu is a better player and his partnership with Clasie will prove to be a very good one IMO

He does his better work without the ball, much like Shane Long. But everyone wants to point out that despite Long's shortcomings as a ball player he is important to the squad - Wanyama is the same.

Wanyama hasn't made much progress technically, in fact he is very limited. But his presence and the things he does off the ball are very good and important for us. When he is fit he plays, so Koeman obviously agrees as well.

We'd miss him if he left but he feels replaceable. And as has been pointed out I'd be doubtful that either of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea or Arsenal would be interested in him. So its Liverpool or Spurs or a move abroad.

He does his better work without the ball, much like Shane Long. But everyone wants to point out that despite Long's shortcomings as a ball player he is important to the squad - Wanyama is the same.

Wanyama hasn't made much progress technically, in fact he is very limited. But his presence and the things he does off the ball are very good and important for us. When he is fit he plays, so Koeman obviously agrees as well.

We'd miss him if he left but he feels replaceable. And as has been pointed out I'd be doubtful that either of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea or Arsenal would be interested in him. So its Liverpool or Spurs or a move abroad.

Reports would suggest he is Arsenal's no1 midfield target in the summer.

He isn't the greatest on the ball but when he wins the ball and plays it simple to a better ball player he is excellent.

He has been superb in most of our wins against the top sides too.

Koemans actions to date indicate he thinks otherwise And currently views him as a key first team player over the likes of Clasie and romeau

That may well change in the future but at the moment he believes he adds value to our team

He isn't the greatest on the ball but when he wins the ball and plays it simple to a better ball player he is excellent.

He can't even do that half the time though. He's forever lazily mis-hitting really simple passes and giving the ball away.

I think he is worth keeping as a useful squad player, as long as he can square it with himself that's all he is. Something tells me he will never be happy with that though.

He's far too inconsistent to be the world class player he thinks he is. If he could be bothered to put in maximum effort (and engage his brain before blazing into reckless, needless tackles) week in week out then he would be worth a move to a top CL club. But as things stand, I'm really not too bothered when he is unavailable for us because we have the strength in depth in his position to withstand it.

We'll see what happens in the summer shall we.

Koeman seem to rate him big time and said on several occasions that hes a key player. Hes had a lot of man-of the match winning performances this year and previous (people have short memories?)

People who claims hes **** and "a lump with no footballing abilities", i seriously questioning there footballing knowledge.

If Wanyama had more support from his own fans maybe it would be easier for him to sign the bloody contract extension..

Koeman seem to rate him big time and said on several occasions that hes a key player. Hes had a lot of man-of the match winning performances this year and previous (people have short memories?)

People who claims hes **** and "a lump with no footballing abilities", i seriously questioning there footballing knowledge.

If Wanyama had more support from his own fans maybe it would be easier for him to sign the bloody contract extension..

Really? Considering the paddy he threw before our Europa League exit, I think he's been lucky in the amount of support he's had.

I think its pretty obvious that he has no intention of signing the contract extension, seeing as its been on the table for a long time and he still hasn't signed it. No amount of fan support is going to convince him to sign either, unless of course we personally contribute an extra £30k a week to his wages.

We will obviously need to replace him and not on the cheap, but I won't shed any tears when he leaves. Clearly a player with ability, but only turns it on when he feels like it.

And I seriously question the footballing knowledge of anyone who thinks he has natural footballing ability. And i didn't say he was ****. A big bloke who can intimidate players can be very effective in some games, why do you think he always has good games against Arsenal?

Very much agree, as RK is hugely more knowledgeable than the self appointed experts on here.

I trust his opinion considerably more than the "experts"

You do understand the basic concept of a football forum? ie A place for fans to voice their opinions. Should have limited your post to 'Very much agree' - the rest lets you down.

You do understand the basic concept of a football forum? ie A place for fans to voice their opinions. Should have limited your post to 'Very much agree' - the rest lets you down.

Does the rest let them down because they've voiced their opinion? That is, after all, the basic concept of a football forum.

Unless, y'know, you don't like someone else's opinion. At that point, any old guff is fine

He's a fantastic destroyer type DM when he can be bothered and if he has the right partner. Clasie is definitely the right man but imho I really don't think Victor wants to stay which has shown in some of his performances this season unfortunately.

I'd sell, he's not been a patch on last season and we've shown we can win without him. Too much uncertainty and inconsistency around his performances and availability and he's mostly only put in last season's performances against teams who might buy him.

Very much agree, as RK is hugely more knowledgeable than the self appointed experts on here.

I trust his opinion considerably more than the "experts"

Do you think he has played well this season?

Or is voicing your opinion going out on a limb proclaiming yourself to be an 'expert'?

By reports you mean Mirror's John Cross's stories, 90% of which never come to fruition. Schneiderlin was Arsenal's previous No1 target.

I've watched every game, albeit on TV rather than in the ground (I was at Arsenal home and West Ham away though).

Wanyama hasn't been as good as he was last season, no doubt about it, but he has had more good games than bad, and is often unfairly criticised.

He is one of those players who some fans have never taken to, and therefore jump on him having a bad game more than they would anyone else. Jose Fonte has had more bad games for Saints this season than Wanyama has had in my opinion, but you hear very little criticism going Jose's way.

He is our best defensive midfielder, of that I have no doubt, but in Clasie and Romeu we have certainly ensured the impact of him going would be far less.

For what it's worth here are the average ratings of Saints players this season through my site (the ratings are decided by different people most weeks):- http://georgeweahscousin.com/player-ratings/

I've watched every game, albeit on TV rather than in the ground (I was at Arsenal home and West Ham away though).

Wanyama hasn't been as good as he was last season, no doubt about it, but he has had more good games than bad, and is often unfairly criticised.

He is one of those players who some fans have never taken to, and therefore jump on him having a bad game more than they would anyone else. Jose Fonte has had more bad games for Saints this season than Wanyama has had in my opinion, but you hear very little criticism going Jose's way.

He is our best defensive midfielder, of that I have no doubt, but in Clasie and Romeu we have certainly ensured the impact of him going would be far less.

For what it's worth here are the average ratings of Saints players this season through my site (the ratings are decided by different people most weeks):- http://georgeweahscousin.com/player-ratings/

Jose hasn't been sent off 3 times ! And what use are ratings if they're done by different people each week ?

Agree.

Jose hasn't been sent off 3 times ! And what use are ratings if they're done by different people each week ?

Should only be two (two too many admittedly) for Wanyama.

Good point on the ratings, but trying to avoid bias. If I did them every week Wanyama would have a much higher score I'm sure. Ideally I would setup a voting system and take the average but it can be problematic.

I get the feeling that because we are likely to see his departure this summer we are criticising him to cushion the blow?

Almost like when your girlfriend leaves you and you convince yourself that it's her loss and she was ugly and you didn't like her that much (maybe that's just me) ?

In all seriousness, if he doesn't want to be here I appreciate us "slagging him off" to save face, but I genuinely think he's a great player and replacing him with like for like or better would be expensive ie. If Romeu is out would you play Clasie/JWP/Reed and be as confident?

By reports you mean Mirror's John Cross's stories, 90% of which never come to fruition. Schneiderlin was Arsenal's previous No1 target.

Reporters very rarely claim that these deals will 'come to fruition'. Schneiderlin probably was Arsenal's number one target, if that's what Cross, as one of the best connected Arsenal journalists, reported. That doesn't mean they have to get him for his story to be accurate.

Reporters very rarely claim that these deals will 'come to fruition'. Schneiderlin probably was Arsenal's number one target, if that's what Cross, as one of the best connected Arsenal journalists, reported. That doesn't mean they have to get him for his story to be accurate.

He has to come up with stories when likelihood he know nothing. Connected or otherwise