Saints fans given banning orders

Pamplemousse

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14299873.display/

IT SHOULD have been a night for celebration as Southampton FC took to the European stage for the first time in more than a decade.

But instead fans became embroiled in what was described as ‘a mini-riot’ as rival groups clashed ahead of Saints' Europa League tie with Dutch side Vitesse in August last year.

Chairs were thrown and fights broke out as trouble flared before the historic clash.

Yesterday six Saints fans were handed banning orders for their part in the ugly scenes which marred Saints' return to European football.

It was revealed how four of them had already been subjected to banning orders in the past for violent behaviour.

It is believed that the six men were arrested separately by Dutch police as they were involved in the brawl between Southampton fans and those from another Dutch team, Feyenoord.

Video footage was used by police in a bid to pursue banning orders against those involved which showed how chairs were thrown and fights broke out ahead of the match.

Among those involved were Richard Bridle, Samuel Coleman, Luke Fairhurst, Jack Jameson, Thomas Kitcher and James Whitlock who were all given football banning orders when they appeared at Southampton Magistrates' Court.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service all six men were arrested by police for being involved in violent behaviour during the mini-riot.

Whitlock was seen punching an opposing supporter in the face before throwing a bar stool while bridle was seen at the front of the disorder where he punched a rival in the face and abused police officers and encouraging further disorder.

Jameson was seen at the front of the group of Southampton fans in confrontation with police and Fairhurst was seen on footage throwing chairs and tables at opposing supporters.

Coleman was seen throwing chairs at supporters and Kitcher was seen throwing chairs and tables at opposing supporters and encouraging other individuals to do so.

As previously reported by the Daily Echo it was the first time Saints had qualified for the Europa League since 2003 and on the night of the Vitesse match fights broke out in the Korenmmarket area of the city.

Police intervened and arrested more than 70 people.

Dealt with individually at court, each order will see the men banned from attending regulated football matches in the UK for Southampton and England Football Club.

They will also be prevented from entering Southampton City Centre during home match days and prevented from travelling to away fixtures and going to any town or city where there is an away match for Southampton that day.

During controlled periods the fans will also have to surrender their passports to the Home Office to prevent them from travelling abroad for Southampton football matches – which will prevent them from attending the European Championships in 2018.

Richard Bridle, 28, of Brookwood Road, Southampton was given a four-year banning order due to previously being given a three-year order in 2008.

Samuel Coleman, 23, of Effingham Gardens, Sholing was given a three-year ban as it was his first offence, as did Luke Fairhurst, 21, of Burke Drive.

Jack Jameson, 21, of English Road, Shirley was given a four-year banning order as he has previously received a three-year order in Bristol in 2010.

Prosecuting, Gavin Sumpter told the court: “Mr Jameson has previously threatened police that he would travel to matches without a ticket to be involved in or start disorderly behaviour.”

District Judge Anthony Callaway said that Jameson had some “growing up to do.”

Thomas Kitcher, 23, of Mead Road, Lymington received a three-year banning order and the court heard how he had previously been given a banning order in 2009 and served a previous custodial sentence for violent and disorderly behaviour.

James Whitlock, 23, of Outer Circle, Southampton was given a three-year banning order, despite having an order previously in 2008.

Football Intelligence Officer, PC Stuart Dickerson said: “We welcome the magistrates' decision to issue football banning orders for these six men.

“With the European Championships taking place this summer, this is a timely reminder to anybody considering involving themselves in violence or disorder that there are consequences for their actions whether the incident occurs in the UK or overseas.”

Gutted for the lads in question. Could have been anyone in that square. It's supposedly an offence to react to being attacked. Euros approaching so easy banning orders to dish out. Not worthy of faces and addresses being in local and some national media either.

Has nothing to do with if this particular case is a stitch up or not. It's a lot easier to push through a ban for someone who has previous.

And probably the exact reason these individuals just 'happened' to be noticed. One of them got 4 years for being 'at the front of the group' - doesn't actually say whether he did anything?!

Was it a stitch-up? Some of them had received banning offences in the past.
That's irrelevant. The idea of not being allowed to leave the country for a third of the year, despite not being convicted of a crime is insane from a basic human rights point of view. Only happens to football fans, probably would have got more lenient treatment if they'd nipped off to join Isis for a couple of months!

Dear oh dear, were you there and why would you be glad that a group of people that were stood having a drink got atacked and then blamed.

I've had a run in with a few of them and have no sympathy what so ever a couple were the ones who started the trouble at the Doncaster game a few years back ! They reap what they sew

I've had a run in with a few of them and have no sympathy what so ever a couple were the ones who started the trouble at the Doncaster game a few years back ! They reap what they sew

So you had a run in with a few of them, therefore they're all idiots/mugs. Good logic there.

Nothing worse than innocently having a drink, innocently punching someone in the face and innocently throwing a chair at someone, and then The Man has to intervene. Blah blah something about Isis something something!
Stick up all the accounts from Vittesse Arnhem fans being attacked and threatened by Saints fans, at either game?

So you had a run in with a few of them, therefore they're all idiots/mugs. Good logic there.

Yeh they used to think they ran the back of the Northam, spitting in woman's faces and starting on middle aged men was one of their forte's , hence it being plastered all over the back pages of the echo !

Stick up all the accounts from Vittesse Arnhem fans being attacked and threatened by Saints fans, at either game?

I don't care who started it , I can't believe you're trying to defend the chair throwing idiots trouble is easily avoided if you want to !

Yeh they used to think they ran the back of the Northam, spitting in woman's faces and starting on middle aged men was one of their forte's , hence it being plastered all over the back pages of the echo !

How sure are you that those 'spitting in womens faces' are those banned for Arnhem? Sounds extremely unlikely.

Edited by Griffo

How sure are you that those 'spitting in womens faced' are those banned for Arnhem? Sounds extremely unlikely.

Because I was there I stepped in and ended up rolling down the stairs with 4 of them (all because a woman and her husband were singing Lowe out songs) I know the idiots from standing in the Northam for years they all think they're something out of Green St !

Because I was there I stepped in and ended up rolling down the stairs with 4 of them (all because a woman and her husband were singing Lowe out songs) I know the idiots from standing in the Northam for years they all think they're something out of Green St !

7 years ago.. Apart from one of them, they would have been 15/16 then. You've either got the wrong people or you were rolling down stairs with four 15/16 year olds.

7 years ago.. Apart from one of them, they would have been 15/16 then. You've either got the wrong people or you were rolling down stairs with four 15/16 year olds.

I didn't ask their ages when they were all piling in with kicks and punches , And 7 years ago was the time they were getting their first banning orders does it matter their ages then ?

I didn't ask their ages when they were all piling in with kicks and punches , And 7 years ago was the time they were getting their first banning orders does it matter their ages then ?

Maybe this happened with one of the group with their friends, but to label them all as having done that is a load of sh*t.

"Simo" is clearly talking out of his arse. Rolling down the stairs with 4 of them after they'd spat in a women's face because she was singing Lowe out songs. Yet at least 7 years on recognises all of them clearly from a photo in the paper, course that's true :lol:

If you have been to many trips abroad you'll know it's always delt with back in the UK !
They can be arrested and charged and sent back to Holland. Happens to plenty of people and plenty of people are arrested when the crime happens. Not wait until 6 months after the event, not get any criminal conviction at all, but a nice bit of PR pre-Euros. Football Policing is a ridiculously large, cosy industry now, huge budgets with hardly any arrests/trouble.

"Simo" is clearly talking out of his arse. Rolling down the stairs with 4 of them after they'd spat in a women's face because she was singing Lowe out songs. Yet at least 7 years on recognises all of them clearly from a photo in the paper, course that's true :lol:

There's a picture of me on the back page of the Echo from the Doncaster game (you know the one with the crowd trouble , oh no that's right you don't go to games), and you're a fine one to pipe up when it comes to talking out of your arse!

None of these Saints fans were arrested or charged full stop. Stop making stuff up.

It is believed that the six men were arrested separately by Dutch police as they were involved in the brawl between Southampton fans and those from another Dutch team, Feyenoord. Yeh I'm making stuff up , I don't care what your argument is you don't get banned for self defence! I now take my son to Sms and the more idiots like this that are routed out and banned the better !

It is believed that the six men were arrested separately by Dutch police as they were involved in the brawl between Southampton fans and those from another Dutch team, Feyenoord. Yeh I'm making stuff up , I don't care what your argument is you don't get banned for self defence! I now take my son to Sms and the more idiots like this that are routed out and banned the better !

They weren't arrested. As I said, you're making stuff up.

They weren't arrested by Dutch police. And it was nothing to do with Feyenoord whatsoever. Journalism has been awful the whole way through.

You said "they were arrested and Prosecuted " Where has it been stated or confirmed that they have been prosecuted?

Prosecuting, Gavin Sumpter told the court: “Mr Jameson has previously threatened police that he would travel to matches without a ticket to be involved in or start disorderly behaviour.”

Listen, if they haven't completed the mandatory forum posts having been punched then it's their lookout, guv. I sure as hell don't think it happened given they haven't posted on an internet forum about it. Must have formed a large part of their defence during the hearing, I would imagine