Statistically "proven" - Clattenburg dislikes us

devonsaint

According to this 442 article: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-referees-your-premier-league-club-should-love-and-loathe#:XhvzHTtKw3rxsA we LOSE 0.643 points per game when Clattenburg is ref. It bodes well for tomorrow though because we apparently GAIN 0.841 points when reffed by Martin Atkinson.

I was originally going to sniffily say "based on how many matches?" but I thought that perhaps I should read the article first - 15 matches it appears. That is a big enough sample to provide a strong suggestion of bias - unless of course he mostly reffed us when we played teams above us in the table and Atkinson mostly reffed us when we played teams below us. Their analysis does not give us much of a feel for that.

Edited by St_Tel49
missing word

I was originally going to sniffily say "based on how many matches?" but I thought that perhaps I should read the article first - 15 matches it appears. That is a big enough sample to provide a strong suggestion of bias - unless of course he mostly reffed us when we played teams above us in the table and Atkinson mostly reffed us when we played teams below us. Their analysis does not give us much of a feel for that.

Sure it does. It used expected results based upon pre-match betting odds. The reliability of those odds might be debatable, but the analysis does attempt to account for relative team quality.

According to this 442 article: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/revealed-referees-your-premier-league-club-should-love-and-loathe#:XhvzHTtKw3rxsA we LOSE 0.643 points per game when Clattenburg is ref. It bodes well for tomorrow though because we apparently GAIN 0.841 points when reffed by Martin Atkinson.

I'd settle for 0.841 points now. Where do I cash that in?

Atkinson must have read the article before kick off and wanted to redress the balance.

Atkinson was beyond dreadful yesterday. The inconsistency was horrendous. He booked Davis for his first foul, and then gave Ivanovic repeated warnings for foul after foul.

Davis was for a tug-back which is a mandatory yellow, I believe.

I agree he was too lenient with the others, Willian in particular.

• 11 months later...

The obvious underpinning thing people are missing here is that Clattenburg, as a FIFA ref and regarded as England's best at the moment, will usually get the "top" games, involving the big clubs. This means when he refs us we're more likely to be playing the top sides than not, and therefore more likely to lose than usual to begin with.

As such, 2 wins in 15 matches isn't far from what I'd expect from us to be in games against top 6 sides anyway.

The obvious underpinning thing people are missing here is that Clattenburg, as a FIFA ref and regarded as England's best at the moment, will usually get the "top" games, involving the big clubs. This means when he refs us we're more likely to be playing the top sides than not, and therefore more likely to lose than usual to begin with.

As such, 2 wins in 15 matches isn't far from what I'd expect from us to be in games against top 6 sides anyway.

On that basis I assume he will be reffing the cup final?????

Let him go, just another football ego who thinks he's bigger than the game. The English game has given him fame and fortune, hopefully it ends in tears for him.

Didnt he ref his first game at SMS after being banned? I cant recall now why he was banned

Let him go, just another football ego who thinks he's bigger than the game. The English game has given him fame and fortune, hopefully it ends in tears for him.

Didnt he ref his first game at SMS after being banned? I cant recall now why he was banned

Wasn't he banned because of the investigation into those alleged comments against John Obi Mikel?

He's a showtime ref who thinks that fans have paid to watch him rather than the game.

Wasn't he banned because of the investigation into those alleged comments against John Obi Mikel?

He's a showtime ref who thinks that fans have paid to watch him rather than the game.

thats it , thanks. I lost any respect for him when he put the tatoos on his arm. One of lifes show offs.

Roger East lives on the outskirts of Salisbury and I know a couple of his mates and they met Martin Atkinson, who is a very grounded and dry Yorkshireman. Apparently a really nice man.

Yeah! Who needs him, when we've got Jon Moss, Lee Mason and Bobby Madley. :mcinnes:

Yeah! Who needs him, when we've got Jon Moss, Lee Mason and Bobby Madley. :mcinnes:
if we only win 2 out of 15 when he refs then im happy with Jon Moss etc. You may get excited about how good he is but to me he has not been great for us. I recall a last minute penalty away to Norwich a few seasons back, diabolical decision

if we only win 2 out of 15 when he refs then im happy with Jon Moss etc. You may get excited about how good he is but to me he has not been great for us. I recall a last minute penalty away to Norwich a few seasons back, diabolical decision

As has been pointed out to you earlier, we lost those games because of who we were playing. Not who reffed it.

I don't have to be "excited" to realise he is a better ref than most of the idiots on show. If you are happy with Moss being allowed anywhere near the Premier league, then good luck to you. And Madley's last minute decision at Arsenal this season was worse than the Norwich one. I was at both games. But well done for finding one erroneous decision.

As has been pointed out to you earlier, we lost those games because of who we were playing. Not who reffed it.

I don't have to be "excited" to realise he is a better ref than most of the idiots on show. If you are happy with Moss being allowed anywhere near the Premier league, then good luck to you. And Madley's last minute decision at Arsenal this season was worse than the Norwich one. I was at both games. But well done for finding one erroneous decision.

Is there a list of the games he reffed then , as i haven't seen it or have you assumed? There are many reasons we lose games and i dont believe he is the reason but sometimes little decisions cost.

You obviously like him, I dont and so Im not sorry for him to be gone.