Pelles poor form

Mr X

I'm not going to go as far as to say he single handle handedly cost us the game but he certainly didn't help. The amount if times he gave the ball away while trying to do a stupid back heel flick was ridiculous & then he just seemed to blame others around him!

What do you think are the main reasons he looks so bad lately?

Lack of confidence?

Lack of match fitness?

Poor workrate?

Bad attitude?

He was awful yesterday. As you say, repeatedly tried silly flicks when they were not needed (would gain nothing more than a simple pass would) and gave away possession when it was needed most.

What is it with these silly flicks and why have they not been beaten out of him before now?

Somebody once told me that everything in Italy is 'theatre'. Maybe he's just trying to be a primadonna if you can use that word for a man. A 'pavone' might be more accurate.

You have to put some of the blame on the coaching staff and RK here. Pelle should be shown how to work and obviously isn't!

As for lack of match practice that is total BS he was just as bad when he played every game before his injury.

We are poor when he plays and management should be able to see that or we should question them!

He should be fined every time he attempts one of them stupid back heels, every time he is under pressure or not sure what to do he tries to do it, it drives me mad, I'd rather he lumped it in to row z so team can get their shape and defend properly, just giving it away is stupid.

Have no problem with him coming on but surely Mane for Long was a more 'like for like' substitution? With Pelle and Austin on we completely lost the ability to knock the ball over the top for somebody with pace to run onto. If you wanted to introduce Pelle then surely you swap him for Austin? FWIW I don't think Pelle is fully fit. Be interested to know if he's training properly after his knee problems. He's been good for us at times but for me he has to be fully fit to reach that level.

You have to put some of the blame on the coaching staff and RK here. Pelle should be shown how to work and obviously isn't!

As for lack of match practice that is total BS he was just as bad when he played every game before his injury.

We are poor when he plays and management should be able to see that or we should question them!

How do you know that the coaching staff haven't been working on him? You seem to look to blame the management for everything but once a player crosses that white line it is down to them to put it into practice. If they don't it is down to the player themselves. Pelle was quality last season and he wasn't being slagged off for his flicks and tricks then. I just hope that he can find his form again because the guy has shown that he can play.

How do you know that the coaching staff haven't been working on him? You seem to look to blame the management for everything but once a player crosses that white line it is down to them to put it into practice. If they don't it is down to the player themselves. Pelle was quality last season and he wasn't being slagged off for his flicks and tricks then. I just hope that he can find his form again because the guy has shown that he can play.

pelle was good for the 1st half of last season. shaky to pretty gash for the 2nd half

this season is bearing down the same path

When Pelle was given the wave to return to the bench to come on, he was warming up with Mane. It took him a slight while to realise it was him getting the call.

Is it lack of match sharpness, or confidence - perhaps a half-game with the U21s to try and get him a goal at least.

Think you are wrong saying he was "quality" last season. He had his moments I grant you but went off the boil and had some poor performances. Also while RK can't help what Pelle does once he has crossed that line, he is responsible for picking him. Koeman was the only person in SMS (and I note on this list too) who thought he was the right player to bring on for Long.

Completely disagree with you. If he obviously continues to use the pass or flick to nobody and the coaching staff have told him not to why does he still do it AND still get picked?

Conclusion is the coaching staff are happy with him. If not, don't pick him!

Completely disagree with you. If he obviously continues to use the pass or flick to nobody and the coaching staff have told him not to why does he still do it AND still get picked?

Conclusion is the coaching staff are happy with him. If not, don't pick him!

People often are told not to do something but still do it anyway. I assume they pick him because they feel he is good enough.

The most egregious thing yesterday wasn't the flicks (which he's been doing without success for about the last 18 months in case anyone hadn't noticed) but the fact that it was such a simple pass to Cedric that he ballsed up - it was a five yard sidefoot to an open man, and he managed to underhit it allowing Kenedy to intercept.

Pelle's biggest problem is that he's careless, which is forgiveable if you're a 1 in 3 striker, but not if you're the kind who can go ten games or more without a goal.

My guess is Koeman put him on hoping the ball would stick up top and relieve some of the pressure on our back line which was building even before Long's injury. I'm willing to bet koeman didn't send him on with instructions to start ****ing around with flicks and tricks but just to hold the ball.

Shane Long didn't give their slow-moving back-line time to think, but when Pelle came on ....he was even slower than they were....

Think you are wrong saying he was "quality" last season. He had his moments I grant you but went off the boil and had some poor performances. Also while RK can't help what Pelle does once he has crossed that line, he is responsible for picking him. Koeman was the only person in SMS (and I note on this list too) who thought he was the right player to bring on for Long.

Agreed Duncan. Pelle was a new commodity last season, and he did well with the service from Tadic....and later Mane, but it only worked against certain teams.

Now he's been found out and it's not difficult to contain him without either of his former "suppliers".

I'm not going to go as far as to say he single handle handedly cost us the game but he certainly didn't help. The amount if times he gave the ball away while trying to do a stupid back heel flick was ridiculous & then he just seemed to blame others around him!

What do you think are the main reasons he looks so bad lately?

Lack of confidence?

Lack of match fitness?

Poor workrate?

Bad attitude?

It's very simple. He comes from the southernmost tip of the heel of Italy and he's very much a fair weather player. He scores his goals in the autumn and spring and goes into hibernation in the winter. You can see he hates being out there when it's cold, windy and rainy, but loves playing in the warm sunshine of August and May. Now that Spring is coming, you'll see him improve again.

It's very simple. He comes from the southernmost tip of the heel of Italy and he's very much a fair weather player. He scores his goals in the autumn and spring and goes into hibernation in the winter. You can see he hates being out there when it's cold, windy and rainy, but loves playing in the warm sunshine of August and May. Now that Spring is coming, you'll see him improve again.

HA! That's an interesting theory

Love it. For me we have just changed our stlye and it doesn't suit him added to which he is clearly a confidence player and that is in short supply at the minute! Reminds me a bit of Beattie the way he cores in fits and starts.

"Not much choice".....we had Mane and Tadic on the bench....

well Mane hasn't scored in the Prem. since ......the end of October?....(aside from the early one in the 1-6 debacle v.L'pool in the League cup (I'm glad City won btw).

but I wouldn't say that either he, or Tadic is an out and out striker and with Pelle's current lack of form ....I hardly noticed they were in the game near the end.

IMO.... our strike force is Pelle, Austin, Long and ....Juanmi......or maybe you disagree?

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc Spoke to Koeman today about Pelle - he's talked to hIm about Chelsea game & told him to stop flicks & hold ball up better for team-mates to help side when under pressure. RK admitted to me it was not a good substitution - honest as always #saintsfc

They had King and Afobe up front on Saturday.

This week's crazy thought .....

With Conte being tipped as the next Chelsea manager..might he not be thinking that Chelsea need a big striker up front (something they've missed for a few seasons) ...IF Pelle has a good Euro .....then Conte might feel that Graziano is the sort of player he needs up top in a new Chelsea set-up.

OK :blush: I said it was the crazy idea.....

I think he gets a lot of stick. Always seemed to be a decent guy who speaks well about the club. It should also be remembered that he is Italian. The way he communicates is very dramatic and has lots of arm waving and gestures. That's the way of southern Europeans and I think a lot of fans see it and think he's being difficult.

Yes he gets frustrated and sometimes he is having a pop but so what.

He's been good for us overall particularly for what we paid for him. Shane seems to be justifying his fee now and I think Pelle overall has justified his.

I agree he isn't playing well now but I think there are many factors - not least that we don't get the ball in front of him in the box. He seems to be stranded outside the area with his back to goal. Not his fault and isn't expected to score from there by Ron. It was nice to see Austin however who is prepared to turn and shoot.

Pelle will be off soon so let's support him for the rest of the season. I've no doubt he will contribute something if we get behind him. Moaning at players never works anyway.

Fairly sure Koeman's comments are intended to show Pelle what he expects of him all of the time and how he can get back in the team, as opposed to specifically anything he did on Saturday. Flicks have been part of his game since he got here and don't come off that often, but when they do they usually create chances.

At this rate, Pelle having a good Euro is crazy. He might not even get on the pitch.

It ws Conte who introduced him into the Italian national side, and GP scored a few vital goals for them.

Abrahamovic will give him 100 million to spend, and he's sure to bring in a few Italian players - so why not ?

It ws Conte who introduced him into the Italian national side, and GP scored a few vital goals for them.

Abrahamovic will give him 100 million to spend, and he's sure to bring in a few Italian players - so why not ?

is that a joke?

Fairly sure Koeman's comments are intended to show Pelle what he expects of him all of the time and how he can get back in the team, as opposed to specifically anything he did on Saturday. Flicks have been part of his game since he got here and don't come off that often, but when they do they usually create chances.

Doesn't that sort of go with the definition of 'come off'? As in, if they don't create a chance then they haven't come off.

is that a joke?

Do you mean the £100 million* or Pelle moving to them?....let's wait and see before we laugh, eh?

If Conte does (indeed) get the job.......* I don't suggest he'd spend £100 million in August - but maybe in the first 12/15 months....

Edited by david in sweden

a player who can no longer get into the saint side is not going to be signing for chelsea

I doubt Conte is coming to a club like that to sign players like pelle

.......and yet he's willing to pick Pelle to play CF for the Italian national side ...?

Not saying he will sign for Chelsea, but you can be sure any new manager (anywhere) will want to bring in players of his choice)

and ...as many people seem to think GP will go to Italy after the summer....the idea of playing for Conte at Chelsea (if indeed he gets the job) may not be so silly.

.......and yet he's willing to pick Pelle to play CF for the Italian national side ...?

Not saying he will sign for Chelsea, but you can be sure any new manager (anywhere) will want to bring in players of his choice)

and ...as many people seem to think GP will go to Italy after the summer....the idea of playing for Conte at Chelsea (if indeed he gets the job) may not be so silly.

well yeah, this is rated as one of, if not the worst ever, strike force they have.

he is keeping Balotelli out of the side!!

Now just 1 goal in his last 15 league games...the guy is an absolute liability as I've been saying for well over a year now.

Get him out of the club and off the wageroll ASAP

He was a lot better today but when none of the other attacking players are on form creating space for him he isn't going to get many chances.

But yeah, lets pay up his contract and play Olafela Olomola up front while Long, Austin and Rodriguez are out.

He was a lot better today but when none of the other attacking players are on form creating space for him he isn't going to get many chances.

But yeah, lets pay up his contract and play Olafela Olomola up front while Long, Austin and Rodriguez are out.

He's not taking chances, he's a very poor player and not worth the money.

Been missing for over half a season again.