European Super League ?

david in sweden

....what a great idea...(not that we haven't heard it all before )..so let all the "Big clubs " *u** off and play each other 4 times a season....for fun.

At least that's the revived plan for MU, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool according to reports today.

Each Euro country would throw in their best 3-4 clubs (at least those who could afford to do it).....PSG, Bayern Munich; Juventus, Barca and Real Madrid maybe.

As the Premier League has been the sole possession of only half a dozen clubs since its incepetion (1992) neither Saints...or a dozen other Prem. clubs need worry about ever winning that title, and perhaps we could get on with playing domestic English football at Prem level....and maybe things would be a bit more balanced.

You may not like the idea, but I think it would be a good incentive for dozens of clubs to be able to let " all the big boys " go off and play in their own mud puddle.

Goodness knows how much seat prices would be for those Super Euro matches ?:scared:

They've denied that is the plan, it is apparently for the pre-season tournaments.

Even if a Super League did happen it is never going to be as you suggest in place of the Premier League, it would be instead of the Champions League so there is more money for the big sides.

I'm not sure why you think those 5 teams leaving the Premier League would be good for Saints. If they did Saints would become significantly weaker as future Premier League TV deals would be significantly smaller and Saints wage and transfer budget would drop off leading to a lower quality of Saints team.

They've denied that is the plan, it is apparently for the pre-season tournaments.

Even if a Super League did happen it is never going to be as you suggest in place of the Premier League, it would be instead of the Champions League so there is more money for the big sides.

I'm not sure why you think those 5 teams leaving the Premier League would be good for Saints. If they did Saints would become significantly weaker as future Premier League TV deals would be significantly smaller and Saints wage and transfer budget would drop off leading to a lower quality of Saints team.

Excactly, the premier league 'product' would not be as sellable around the world without them. They would still take our players, just off to a different league.

The only thing they want to do is make the champions league a closed shop so that upstarts like Leicester can't get their hands on 'their' money. What next the FA cup final only allowed to be bewteen the big clubs, or maybe if a team like Leicester wins the league they have to keep playing knockout games against the big clubs until one of them beats them and are awarded the title.

I dont think they'd want to leave the premier league, a European league would soon get boring and expensive for the fans, the stadiums would be half empty. The Premier League should call their bluff and threaten any club who joins a closed shop European League with expulsion.

You only have to look at the TV viewing figures for the Champions League this season to see that public appetite in this country is for the Premier League and not European football.

This super league has got virtually nothing to do with European fans - it's all about Americas, Africa and Asia.

They could easily brand the top 20 teams in Europe as a super league and run it in an american football style no promotion / no relegation style and be extremely successful. Would also be good news for Liverpool because if they played in a league of the top 20 teams they would be getting relegated every ****ing year.

You only have to look at the TV viewing figures for the Champions League this season to see that public appetite in this country is for the Premier League and not European football.

I'd imagine the drop is because the Champions League moved from ITV/Sky to BT.

I can't see this super league happening though, not if it means quitting the domestic tournament. The Premier League is an incredibly powerful brand and shows no signs of slowing down. If it starts to wane, perhaps they'll consider it more seriously.

It made me chuckle when I read about the pre season tournament. Aren't they complaining about playing too many matches and want a mid season break? Here's a thought, have your break in the summer!

Spurs went off to play friendlies straight after the final game of last season. That will become the norm soon enough. Followed by a pre season tournament in the states and China

Then as you say, moan about players being tired around the Xmas period

I imagine UEFA would have something to say. Celtic and Rangers attempts have always been dead In the water cos of objections.

Any league without relegation will not appeal to the masses.

Arsenal playing Juventus when they are both kicking round the bottom going to be not much of. draw.

No away fans either for most games as novelty European visits will soon become boring and damn expensive.

Executives have often misunderstood the football fan and think they can exploit what is the most lucrative but the excitement and pulling power of CL ties such as playing Barca is because of its rarity.

I wouldn't be massively worried anyway. My love of Saints has never hinged on having to play Utd.

So hope Leicester win league and if not them Spurs.

• 3 years later...
....what a great idea...(not that we haven't heard it all before )..so let all the "Big clubs " *u** off and play each other 4 times a season....for fun.

At least that's the revived plan for MU, Citeh, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool according to reports today.

Each Euro country would throw in their best 3-4 clubs (at least those who could afford to do it).....PSG, Bayern Munich; Juventus, Barca and Real Madrid maybe.

As the Premier League has been the sole possession of only half a dozen clubs since its incepetion (1992) neither Saints...or a dozen other Prem. clubs need worry about ever winning that title, and perhaps we could get on with playing domestic English football at Prem level....and maybe things would be a bit more balanced.

You may not like the idea, but I think it would be a good incentive for dozens of clubs to be able to let " all the big boys " go off and play in their own mud puddle.

Goodness knows how much seat prices would be for those Super Euro matches ?:scared:

It's already happened. It's called the UEFA Champions League.

Sounds fantastic tbh. Let us play in a top League where we have a chance of winning if we are the best run, like used to happen pre the 90s. Our chances of winning anything these days are very slim no matter what we do, this would change that

I don't see how this would help us win the league at all. The big clubs would still play in it, they would just have locked in places in the Champion's League so only the title and UEFA League places would be up for grabs.

I don't see how this would help us win the league at all. The big clubs would still play in it, they would just have locked in places in the Champion's League so only the title and UEFA League places would be up for grabs.

Maybe I've misunderstood it then. I thought it meant the top clubs leaving their leagues for a euro competition instead, with the possibility they may be relegated back to their domestic league. That's what I'd like tbh

Tbh we've never really had much of a chance of champions league anyway so not a huge amount of change.

I've always wondered why the "bottom" 14 clubs - or maybe 20 or so if you include top of the Championship/yo-yo teams - don't form some sort of collective group or union of some sort.

The top six seem to co-ordinate their plans, every other club acts independently.

Tbh we've never really had much of a chance of champions league anyway so not a huge amount of change.

That's certainly the case. I doubt we'll ever get Champion's League football. It will mean that the four clubs who do qualify will have an even greater advantage over the rest of the league and be able to take good players from other clubs even more easily due to even greater finances and guaranteed Champs League.

Edited by Useful Idiot
Inserting quote

Sounds fantastic tbh. Let us play in a top League where we have a chance of winning if we are the best run, like used to happen pre the 90s. Our chances of winning anything these days are very slim no matter what we do, this would change that

20+ other team will also be thinking the same....what makes you think we would be best of the rest?

I'd be quite happy for them to go, but in reality they're not going to gamble on it. Instead, which sounds more like what the article is saying, is that they'll find a way of having a super league without having to cut ties with the domestic league. So rather than things being more competitive, it will just be more futile.

Marsdinho - I don't think Barsiem is saying we WOULD be best of the rest, but at least that we COULD be if we did things well. Just like any other club. A bit like the Championship now to be honest - you have big clubs and small clubs, but Brentford and Luton do have a chance of finishing above Leeds and Derby.

The biggest danger for me with the big clubs leaving is that teams like Everton, West Ham and maybe Saints too would suddenly see their opportunity to BE the 'big' clubs (not just in terms of winning, but also finances) and to fill the void, and the cycle could just repeat. I'd hope that any breakaway would cause the football league to have a rethink about financing and ways to keep the league more competitive, but it's so easy to imagine a scenario where that doesn't happen.

Just say the 'Big 6' did leave the PL for some Euro Super League, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Everton, Villa and West Ham would soon replace them as the new 'Big 6'.

I'd put us in the next group capable of troubling them but that group would also include Sunderland, Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Derby and Forest. And just behind them would see clubs like Norwich, WBA, Brum, Cardiff, Boro, Stoke and maybe another London club competing. There's your new PL, more chance maybe but a few more big clubs that will just get more powerful.

Just say the 'Big 6' did leave the PL for some Euro Super League, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheff Wed, Everton, Villa and West Ham would soon replace them as the new 'Big 6'.

I'd put us in the next group capable of troubling them but that group would also include Sunderland, Wolves, Leicester, Palace, Derby and Forest. And just behind them would see clubs like Norwich, WBA, Brum, Cardiff, Boro, Stoke and maybe another London club competing. There's your new PL, more chance maybe but a few more big clubs that will just get more powerful.

Nah Everton & Hammers for sure would go bust with no PL money coming in.

I used to be dead against this but I do not really care.

the wider media and fan base only care about the top 6 anyway.

It is almost like 12 or so clubs are an annoyance to those forces above

we are going down under Gao anyway, so let the top 6 sod off and ruin the prem as we know it

Although I wish this wasn’t true, the fact is that the money in the Premier League is BECAUSE of the Big-6 clubs.

The vast majority of Premier League viewers, TV subscribers, advert watchers etc support a Big-6 club and this is why all the advertisers flock to them (financially, it is no longer that important that very few of these supporters actually attend live matches).

If the Big-6 broke away to form a European Super League, then the money would rapidly drain out of the Premier League.

In a sporting sense, I think this would be a good thing as the gap between the Premier League and Championship would shrink drastically and the Premier League would become very competitive (like the Championship is now).

Although, winning the Premier League would become a realistic ambition for a team like Saints, it would be seen by the media and Big-6 fans as equivalent to winning the League Cup now. It would just be seen as qualifying for a place in next year’s Super League.

For example, I spoke to a few Arsenal fans before the summer who all said that they weren’t bothered about winning the Europa League to celebrate winning a trophy. They just wanted a Champions League place. They’d have been just as happy with no trophy and finishing 4th. I think they’re all mad btw, but that’s how Big-6 supporters think now.

If we had a Super League, the gap between the Big-6 and the rest of us would grow exponentially.

I expect a ‘Big-6 club’ would get relegated from the Super League every year or two and they’d spend a year back in the Premier League when they’d inevitably run away with it Celtic style. I don’t think it would be competitive (like trying to bounce back from relegation to the Championship now). I think the gulf in money will just be too big.

My hope is that a Super League won’t happen. The Premier League as a massively successful money making machine and brand and I think advertisers will be nervous of destroying it by creating something untested. I also think there’s an away fans problem. Some Big-6 fans are happy to make 5 or so foreign trips to watch their team in Europe, but I doubt many would go to 17 away games.

Anyway, that’s what I think...

That article is not saying they will breakaway but just expand so renders domestic league of very little value to them.

Still think that underestimates the appetite of the average fan. Having said that Wenger has been right about almost everything and predicted this a while ago.

Jeff Bezos running a global competition - what’s not to get excited about.

That article is not saying they will breakaway but just expand so renders domestic league of very little value to them.

Still think that underestimates the appetite of the average fan. Having said that Wenger has been right about almost everything and predicted this a while ago.

Jeff Bezos running a global competition - what’s not to get excited about.

I can’t see that particular model working. I think the domestic top leagues will prevent it. Keeping the Europa League seems especially ridiculous.

If in 2024/25, Chelsea win the Premier League, but finish 8th in their Super League group and get relegated, while Arsenal finish 2nd in the Premier League (but weren’t in the 2024/25 Super League), then I assume the following would happen:

- Arsenal would get promoted to the 2025/26 Super League to replace Chelsea (who’ve just won the Premier League ahead of them)

- Chelsea would be put in the 2025/26 Europa League

- If Chelsea finish 20th in the 2025/26 Premier League, but reach a Europa League semi-final then they’ll get repromoted back to the Super League and relegated to the Championship at the same time.

Are UEFA or Jeff Bezos (or even the upcoming sporting mega-company LD Sports) really going to force such nonsense on us?

I wish Champions League was for league winners only and we had the cup winners cup back!

But tbf, although i cant say i have read a lot on it, the Europa League 2 (UEL2) seems interesting. In our practically globalised world would love a European competition for teams that finished from say 7th-10th in the top 5 leagues, and say the league champions from other smaller European nations.

Ultimately, a club like ours, and this goes for the rest of the other 14 (bar potentially Everton) can at best hope for one stab at a European campaign before they wait god knows how long for another one.

I wish Champions League was for league winners only and we had the cup winners cup back!

But tbf, although i cant say i have read a lot on it, the Europa League 2 (UEL2) seems interesting. In our practically globalised world would love a European competition for teams that finished from say 7th-10th in the top 5 leagues, and say the league champions from other smaller European nations.

Ultimately, a club like ours, and this goes for the rest of the other 14 (bar potentially Everton) can at best hope for one stab at a European campaign before they wait god knows how long for another one.

That's the reason I went to both Prague and Milan. I wasn't going to get the chance again for a very long time and I knew it.

There are loads of well run clubs, with better squads than ours as well.

I still don’t think that’s the point he’s making...!

It doesn’t matter about Saints particularly, nor about the here and now. It’s just that ANY team had a chance of competing at the top of the league over the medium/long term if they go about things the right way.

This has been said may times but it would be terrible. Basically instead of Liverpool, Dortmund and Real Madrid you'd have Levadia Tallinn, HJK Helsinki and Lincoln Red Imps. The tournament would be a non-event until the semi finals.

It doesn’t matter about Saints particularly, nor about the here and now. It’s just that ANY team had a chance of competing at the top of the league over the medium/long term if they go about things the right way.

I think he / she’s deliberately ignoring the point tbh...

This has been said may times but it would be terrible. Basically instead of Liverpool, Dortmund and Real Madrid you'd have Levadia Tallinn, HJK Helsinki and Lincoln Red Imps. The tournament would be a non-event until the semi finals.
Wouldn't bother me the most interesting games in the FA and league cups are the ones between lower league minnows Vs one the big boys.

Having said that, if it where up to me, I'd scrap the league format for European competitions and just play it as a straight cup knock out competition between the winners of every league and convert the Europea league into the same format but for the equivalent of each countries fa cup winner. No replays one game and pens per round.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well, it's all about opinions of course but mine is that the old European Cup was far, far superior to this champions league guff with it's ten billion boring games per season. Any tournament is a non-event until the knockout games as well.

Didn't say we would did I.... Just that we would have a chance if we were well run

I'm with you. I look at the PL and often ask what the point of it is, if we have no chance of winning it. Why participate in a competition you have no chance of winning? The answer I come up with for my continued presence at SMS is that it affords me an opportunity to escape the Mrs. I'm not overly looking forward to going to SMS this season if truth be told, but maybe once I get my bum on my seat, I'll change my mind.

I'm not overly looking forward to going to SMS this season if truth be told, but maybe once I get my bum on my seat, I'll change my mind.

Whaaaat? The ritual of choosing which lucky pants to wear. The donning of the colours. The walk to the ground, each step closer corresponding to an increase in excitement, heartbeat and adrenaline. The smell of the face paint. The perfunctory nod to people you’ve sat next to for years, but whose names you haven’t bothered to ask. The roar of the crowd. The anticipation of victory - this time we’ll do it boys, this time. Then the kick-off, and finally dreams and ambitions realised, or the dashing of hopes against the rocks realism and economic power. The slow walk back. The analysis, win or lose. But all in the knowledge that I was there boy, I was there.

Edited by Faz

Hold the front page....headline shocker: "Any team that goes about things the right way, can win the league"

Whaaaat? The ritual of choosing which lucky pants to wear. The donning of the colours. The walk to the ground, each step closer corresponding to an increase in excitement, heartbeat and adrenaline. The smell of the face paint. The perfunctory nod to people you’ve sat next to for years, but whose names you haven’t bothered to ask. The roar of the crowd. The anticipation of victory - this time we’ll do it boys, this time. Then the kick-off, and finally dreams and ambitions realised, or the dashing of hopes against the rocks realism and economic power. The slow walk back. The analysis, win or lose. But all in the knowledge that I was there boy, I was there.

You forgot to mention the rain dripping off your nose, soaked to the skin, shivering all afternoon and soggy trainers and being in bed with pneumonia on Monday morning

Hold the front page....headline shocker: "Any team that goes about things the right way, can win the league"

You can be as facetious as you like if you think that being a well-run club can triumph over Manchester City's £1bn in 10 years net transfer spend. Certainly makes you more optimistic than me!