Lovren, Alderweireld or van Dijk?

Which one?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

In recent seasons, we've seen these 3 centre backs excel alongside Jose but, of the 3, would you prefer to have at the back, right now? I'd planned to ask this after today's game anyway but it seems all the more pertinent after VvD's performance & goal today. Not interested in how acrimonious departures were; purely who you feel would suit us best.

For me, at the start of the season, it would've been Toby, easily, but now I'm starting to think Virgil may be even better.

Marginally Toby. But VVD means we don't miss Alderweireld much. The sickening thing about us not getting him is more about how he has improved Spurs rather than worsened us.

I would put Van Dijk ahead of Lovren. Lovren was excellent but think more than the others benefitted from partnering Fonte (who was also younger. Not sure how to phrase it without feeling like I'm stating the obvious!)

I think it's really close. Toby was reliable, rarely made mistakes and could play left back and midfield. Virgil is far more skilful and a better passer, however, that is offset by his occasional lapses in concentration (reminds me of Ferdinand, the good one) but unlike Toby I think he will produce the odd spectacular strike/pass.

In short

Toby=safe but dull

Virgil= gifted but prone to both sublime and poor moments

I'd go Virgil for the excitement

Right now Toby shades it. He looks a complete defender and a great footballer. He's had a full season at Spurs and looks even better this year. That said VVD is 95% there and easily our best player. He also posses the ability to run with the ball and beat player, something Toby doesn't and marks out the world class centre halves.

Next season I think this poll will yield a different result. Wonder whether we would have signed VVD is we had got Toby first, what a pairing that would have been.

The Yoshida VVD centre back pairing will be interesting in the next few games unless Gardos is anywhere near fitness.

I think VVD is a complete footballer who could play anywhere down the middle, VVD is a stylish centre back, Lovren was good.

peesuming Fonte only banned for Stoke game.

Tobias Aldeweireld is three years older than Van ****.

I reckon in three years time Virgil will be regarded as a genuinely elite defender.

two years four months older. in toby' first season with us, one year and four months older than VVD is now.

The Yoshida VVD centre back pairing will be interesting in the next few games unless Gardos is anywhere near fitness.

I think VVD is a complete footballer who could play anywhere down the middle, VVD is a stylish centre back, Lovren was good.

Surely you don't think Lovren was as good as Toby?

VVD for me, not least as he is currently ours and the other 2 aren't. No point looking back.

Like he did with Celtic, he did most demonstrably today. He took up position as secondary striker/centre forward ......... and then he scores. I can't remember who he was waving at to take his place at the back - Rom? Not sure that that is something that TA has in his locker. So from that aspect, although we haven't called on it that often, he offers something different.

I loved Toby, he's a stunning player. Would imagine he'll be in the team of the season this year, easily one of the best - if not the best - defenders.

VVD ahead of Lovren though. VVD is still a little rough around the edges, but his attributes are scary. He's quick, strong, powerful, technically gifted, amazing touch, great heading and reading of the game. He's definitely going to be an elite level centre back for years to come, won't be long until the big boys come calling.

Alderweireld is a better player than van Dijk, who in turn is a better player than Lovren, IMO.

I think Alderweirald is marginally the better defender, but VVD the better player who offers more in terms of skill, passing, and as a goalscoring threat (although TA has also pooped up with a few for Spurs). VVD has the grater potential though.*

*not sure he'll be with us at that time though.

Has he been sidelined much at Spurs ?

Frustratingly given what happened with us last season, he's not missed a single minute in the Premier League or Europa League. Rested for their one Capital One Cup game and three of their four FA Cup ties.

This is how they compare statistically:

Tackles won per game

1. Van Dijk (2)

2. Lovren (2)

3. Alderweireld (1.7)

Interceptions per game

1. Van Dijk (2.8 )

2. Lovren (2.2)

3. Alderweireld (1.2)

Shots blocked per game

1. Alderweireld (0.7)

2. Van Dijk (0.6)

3. Lovren (0.3)

Clearances per game

1. Lovren (7.8 )

2. Van Dijk (7.7)

3. Alderweireld (5.5)

Times dribbled past per game

1. Van Dijk (0.2)

2. Lovren (0.5)

3. Alderweireld (0.7)

Times dispossesed per game

1. Van Dijk (0.1)

2. Alderweireld (0.2)

3. Lovren (0.3)

Headers won per game

1. Van Dijk (4.8 )

2. Lovren (3.3)

3. Alderweireld (1.4)

Yellow Cards

1. Van Dijk (2 in 25 matches)

2. Alderweireld (3 in 26 matches)

3. Lovren (7 in 31 matches)

Those are all the defensive categories. These are the more attacking ones:

Passing Accuracy

1. Van Dijk (83.2%)

2. Lovren (82%)

3. Alderweireld (80.2%)

Dribbles per game

1. Van Dijk (0.6)

2. Alderweireld (0.3)

3. Lovren (0.2)

Chances created per game

1. Van Dijk (0.3)

2. Alderweireld (0.3)

3. Lovren (0.1)

Shots per game

1. Van Dijk (0.8 )

2. Alderweireld (0.7)

3. Lovren (0.7)

Goals and assists

1. Van Dijk (3 in 26 games)

2. Lovren (3 in 31 games)

3. Alderweireld (2 in 26 games)

Van Dijk tops 11 out of 13 categories and is 2nd in the other two by only 0.1 in each case.

This is how they compare statistically:

Tackles won per game

1. Van Dijk (2)

2. Lovren (2)

3. Alderweireld (1.7)

Interceptions per game

1. Van Dijk (2.8 )

2. Lovren (2.2)

3. Alderweireld (1.2)

Shots blocked per game

1. Alderweireld (0.7)

2. Van Dijk (0.6)

3. Lovren (0.3)

Clearances per game

1. Lovren (7.8 )

2. Van Dijk (7.7)

3. Alderweireld (5.5)

Times dribbled past per game

1. Van Dijk (0.2)

2. Lovren (0.5)

3. Alderweireld (0.7)

Times dispossesed per game

1. Van Dijk (0.1)

2. Alderweireld (0.2)

3. Lovren (0.3)

Headers won per game

1. Van Dijk (4.8 )

2. Lovren (3.3)

3. Alderweireld (1.4)

Yellow Cards

1. Van Dijk (2 in 25 matches)

2. Alderweireld (3 in 26 matches)

3. Lovren (7 in 31 matches)

Those are all the defensive categories. These are the more attacking ones:

Passing Accuracy

1. Van Dijk (83.2%)

2. Lovren (82%)

3. Alderweireld (80.2%)

Dribbles per game

1. Van Dijk (0.6)

2. Alderweireld (0.3)

3. Lovren (0.2)

Chances created per game

1. Van Dijk (0.3)

2. Alderweireld (0.3)

3. Lovren (0.1)

Shots per game

1. Van Dijk (0.8 )

2. Alderweireld (0.7)

3. Lovren (0.7)

Goals and assists

1. Van Dijk (3 in 26 games)

2. Lovren (3 in 31 games)

3. Alderweireld (2 in 26 games)

Van Dijk tops 11 out of 13 categories and is 2nd in the other two by only 0.1 in each case.

Errrr well that's pretty conclusive.....

14-09-2015, 09:40 AM

sandwichsaint

user-online.pngFull Member

Join DateNov 2006LocationSandwich, KentPosts2,444

[h=2]icon1.png[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by
Lallana's Left Peg
viewpost-right.png

Wasn't at the game but was VvD as good as people are making out?

Excellent, had relatively little to do but looked class throughout, strong in the air, excellent tech ability with the ball at his feet, confident carrying the ball out (admittedly against a feeble West Brom who were happy to sit deep), great distribution. Good talker, seemed to click straight away with the keeper/Fonte/VW. Only downside was over-confidence, got caught twice over-playing but I'm sure he can eradicate that when he gets up to PL speed. Toby who?

My first impression of his first 90 minutes at West Brom, looks like I got that pretty much spot-on.

Alderweireld is still the best CB to have ever played for Saints. He's also continuing to prove his ability on a regular basis for Spurs. Coincidentally the missus had a bet on him at 50/1 for next scorer on the weekend (I was on Betfair and he was only 35s so she put it on with Sky). It wasn't Clint Hill levels of awesomeness (65/1 and I had a tenner on that one), but 50/1 is not to be sniffed at.

Van Dijk is a very good CB, Alderweireld was a completely different class.

Errrr well that's pretty conclusive.....

If someone could get a "times dispossessed per game" stat for Yoshida I'd like to see it. Other than that, defensive stats are the art of preventing things happening and as such are an absolute nightmare to extrapolate into impact. Other than the one I've mentioned, which is the footballing equivalent of "unenforced errors".