Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

At the start of the summer I think 99.9% of us we in agreement that a CB and DCM partner for OR were the key areas plus keeping the players we had.

We've done that so to now be mithering how we've not secured some mythical AM is rather pathetic.

Yes we all know we are short of goals but it appears some of our online fanbase live in a world where the sort of players the are alluding to grow on the magic footballer tree.

Nab one in a last min deal and we've had an outstanding window, don't and it's still been excellent.

Guff. Plenty of people have been asking for an upgrade at #10 for a couple of summers now. Moreover, it's hardly asking the earth for the club to bring in 3 reasonable signings (and there's no way Bednarek counts towards that).

Guff. Plenty of people have been asking for an upgrade at #10 for a couple of summers now. Moreover, it's hardly asking the earth for the club to bring in 3 reasonable signings (and there's no way Bednarek counts towards that).

Who are you hoping that we'll bring in?

At the start of the summer I think 99.9% of us we in agreement that a CB and DCM partner for OR were the key areas plus keeping the players we had.

We've done that so to now be mithering how we've not secured some mythical AM is rather pathetic.

Yes we all know we are short of goals but it appears some of our online fanbase live in a world where the sort of players the are alluding to grow on the magic footballer tree.

Nab one in a last min deal and we've had an outstanding window, don't and it's still been excellent.

Yes, but Rodriguez has gone (which is fine) and Gallagher has gone again (which is fine) and Long may still go. If he does, it'd be lovely to have someone come in, right?

Yes, but Rodriguez has gone (which is fine) and Gallagher has gone again (which is fine) and Long may still go. If he does, it'd be lovely to have someone come in, right?

There's surely no chance we'd let Long go without getting someone in is there? We'd be one injury away from a very serious problem.

That's my issue with the window, I'm delighted with the players we have brought in but our main issue is that we cannot score goals. We had a limited number of options last year (and I think we all agreed we were a player short before Gabbi joined) yet we've let two strikers go this summer and are just as limited as we were last year. I think that the striker/forward issue not being addressed is a legitimate criticism this window (which may yet be rectified) irrespective of who else we've brought in.

Home growns go on loan. Our transfer policy In a nutshell

There used to be a time when Uncle Les was fiercely and vocally opposed to loaning out youngsters.

Now the quality bar to be in the first team squad is higher, so the policy has changed due to the stronger depth of squad we have. They need to go on loan to get them to the higher level needed to be in the Saints squad.

I wasn't asking you.

But seeing as you're the smart ass - I specifically asked who

Seems like an unnecessarily hostile tone to take. It's not my job to find the specific player, that's a job for the club and it's much touted black box and scouting network. We will have a number of players in mind as we do for every position and I'd like us to go for one of those. No need for fans to know the identities before we sign- it's the Southampton way.

Now the quality bar to be in the first team squad is higher, so the policy has changed due to the stronger depth of squad we have. They need to go on loan to get them to the higher level needed to be in the Saints squad.

No, that's rubbish.

Cortese always wanted too much for our players that other clubs wouldn't pay (ridiculous loan fee's and all wages paid). LR's comments were just a smoke screen.

Our team back then was much stronger than it is now.

No, that's rubbish.

Cortese always wanted too much for our players that other clubs wouldn't pay (ridiculous loan fee's and all wages paid). LR's comments were just a smoke screen.

Our team may have been stronger at some points (although not upon arrival in the PL), but in defence of my fellow pedant, he said the bar for entry to the Squad is higher. There isn't much doubt that our squad is stronger than at any time since our return.

Seems like an unnecessarily hostile tone to take. It's not my job to find the specific player, that's a job for the club and it's much touted black box and scouting network. We will have a number of players in mind as we do for every position and I'd like us to go for one of those. No need for fans to know the identities before we sign- it's the Southampton way.

Who from other teams in the league fits the description of the sort of player you would want us to buy? Exclude the top 6, and also Everton as we all agree that Gylfi Sigurdsson would walk into our team, just not at £45m.

Lanzini, Matt Phillips, Joe Allen? I like the look of Roberto Pereyra at Watford but he's been injured most of the time he's been on these shores. I'm not saying to suggest a signing, more to identify a player that meets the description of what we need. This post isn't meant to be flippant or argumentative in case it sounds that way!

Quick recap - my question, (which was specifically directed at another poster), was "who are you hoping we'll bring in?"

It's a little unclear (to me at least) how your waffle about it not being your job relates to that question - but ok :)

Edited by Le Timmier
missing spaces

No, that's rubbish.

I didn't say team, I said squad.

There is far more depth to our squad now. The depth when in the first couple of years after promotion was poor beyond the starting XI.

Our team may have been stronger at some points (although not upon arrival in the PL), but in defence of my fellow pedant, he said the bar for entry to the Squad is higher. There isn't much doubt that our squad is stronger than at any time since our return.

First full season under poch (13/14 season):

Bourc

Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw

schneiderlin Wanyama

JayRod Davis Lallana

Lambert

Davis, Chambers, Yoshida, Puncheon, JWP, Gaston, Fox, Cork, Osvaldo, Guly

Is just as strong, if not stronger than what we currently have.

The issue was it was difficult to find someone willing to pay what we wanted for our younger players. That was down to Cortese, not Reed.

There used to be a time when Uncle Les was fiercely and vocally opposed to loaning out youngsters.

Times change. The academy have not been turning out much more than journeymen of late so sending the last crop out on loan is the only way to drum up any interest in them and bids. It is doubtful any of them will ever be good enough for the top six team that we aspire to be and Les knows this. Chelsea have been doing this for years with an even lower success rate than us.

Last season people were crying out for a DM and another CB we got both of those and we have off loaded some dead weight from the squad. Assuming no last minute deals we have also kept hold of our best players for the first summer in years. Considering some of your previous summer meltdowns I can't believe you can't consider this a good window.

Fans always want more, of course, I'd like a really good AM with a high assist rate to get the best out of strikers and I had hoped for a new goal keeper rather than reward Forster for being **** but really assuming no last minute sales this has got to go down as a good summer for us.

Does keeping your best players count when your best player is so disillusioned with the club he literally tried everything he could to get away from it ?

Would rather players wanted to stay rather than were forced to

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

First full season under poch (13/14 season):

Bourc

Clyne Fonte Lovren Shaw

schneiderlin Wanyama

JayRod Davis Lallana

Lambert

Davis, Chambers, Yoshida, Puncheon, JWP, Gaston, Fox, Cork, Osvaldo, Guly

Is just as strong, if not stronger than what we currently have.

The issue was it was difficult to find someone willing to pay what we wanted for our younger players. That was down to Cortese, not Reed.

Errant nonsense. SQUAD - just look at that bench, and their ages at that time. Give it up.

Errant nonsense. SQUAD - just look at that bench, and their ages at that time. Give it up.

Hmmmm I dunno... that bench has JWP, who wasn't much different then to how he is now, Cork & Puncheon who still compete for first team PL places, Yoshida who is currently our best centre back and Chambers who was directly competing with Clyne that season and would probably be in our matchday squad now if he hadn't moved to Arsenal.

I agree that our squad is stronger now, but when you look at the team from SKD, it's not significantly weaker. You have to take into account how strong the best players were as well as how weak the poor ones were.

5 of them are still playing in the PL and another could easily still be if he wasn't such a head case.

I'm telling you for a fact the reason why we didn't send players out on loan, but you believe what you want :)

Wouldn't it be good to see Theo back here again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Only the professionally ****ed off on here would be disappointed with that. I think he'd be extremely good for us. He'd have a point to prove to his critics at Arsenal and would be a big fish in a small pond. That's always been good for our best players. Sadly, I can't see it happening though.

Wouldn't it be good to see Theo back here again

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The only way this would be possible was if we were to sell VvD. Even then, i'm not sure we will pay what he will expect (he's not worth over £100k a week).

The only way this would be possible was if we were to sell VvD. Even then, i'm not sure we will pay what he will expect (he's not worth over £100k a week).

Nobody is worth that or anything approaching it. But, given the stupid state of PL wages, wouldn't it be worth splashing out on a player who would lift the team and supporters alike? But, it's not going to happen.

Yep, pretty much agree with all of this. The VvD saga has taken center stage in the club for far too long as far as I'm concerned, given that he didn't actually play for us for half the season last year as well, we haven't done too badly at all. Obviously (if he stays) he makes us stronger so long as his attitude and application is right.

But I've been more than happy with what we've got. We don't score enough goals, we all know that, but trying to find a 20 goal a season striker is not quite as easy as some people on here seem to think it is. All in all, pretty happy with what we've got, looking forward to the Watford game once the Transfer Deadline Circus has left town and everything has settled down a bit.

Hmmmm I dunno... that bench has JWP, who wasn't much different then to how he is now, Cork & Puncheon who still compete for first team PL places, Yoshida who is currently our best centre back and Chambers who was directly competing with Clyne that season and would probably be in our matchday squad now if he hadn't moved to Arsenal.

I agree that our squad is stronger now, but when you look at the team from SKD, it's not significantly weaker. You have to take into account how strong the best players were as well as how weak the poor ones were.

Thank you. My (MLG's) point was that our squad is now stronger, and it is harder for youngsters to break in to it, hence why more are now going out on loan. The team is equivalent, imo.

Agreed but arguably this window only rectifies the abysmal window we had last summer and doesn't address the problems identified last window. My prediction is that we will continue to struggle to score until Jan when we finally do something about it. We always seem a window behind. Can't argue with the players we have brought in though.

That sums it up perfectly.

Thank you. My (MLG's) point was that our squad is now stronger, and it is harder for youngsters to break in to it, hence why more are now going out on loan. The team is equivalent, imo.

Don't see it, we'll probably not subsidise his salary to anywhere near the extent and club willing to take him on would want.

Might go out on loan to a lower UK league later in September though at a huge cost to us.

Don't think you can do that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who are you hoping that we'll bring in?

I honestly don't know. We've got a scouting and analytics department that loves to pat itself on the back, so I suppose I'd like us to bring in someone I've never heard of, but whom our scouts and analysts believe has a reasonable chance of making it in the league. I'm not asking for or expecting a guaranteed impact - just a chance of improvement, which we wont have unless we bring in new blood. Also, not to labour the point, but its not as if all the great players have already been found - Kante, Mane, Mahrez - all emerged in the PL in the last three years, without Europe-wide battles for their signatures at the time.