Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Ben Gibson to replace VVD? Now Harry Maguire has already been snapped up that's who I'd go for.

I quite like Gibson, good player & left footed too, but I'm not sure he would truly be a "VvD replacement".

Virgil has numerous qualities, but the key thing that any replacement would need to replace is his aerial dominance.

We got battered by physical strikers without him.

Anyway replacing VVD (I'm of the belief we keep him personally) will need to be physically dominant to partner Stephens/Yoshida/Bednarek. Ake/Gibson, I'm not entirely sure are that.

Agree (as above). Ake/Gibson would be perfect players to partner VvD.

Yeah, **** Stephens. Played really well stepping into VvD's shoes, certainly better than Gibson or Ake did (Jan-May)but **** him, get youngsters in from other clubs and ditch our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming VVD stays, if we sign the Polish lad we won't be signing another CB. It'll be Virgil plus Stephens or Maya as our starting CBs.

Assuming VVD stays, if we sign the Polish lad we won't be signing another CB. It'll be Virgil plus Stephens or Maya as our starting CBs.

Vvd mentoring Stephens would be a very good thing for Saints. Would like to see that happen next season.

West Brom are closing in on Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez, according to the Express and Star.

The 27-year-old striker has been blighted by injury problems in recent years, but could move for up to £12m.

---------

Would then explain why we are pushing ahead with the deal for the Sassauo lad.

West Brom are closing in on Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez, according to the Express and Star.

The 27-year-old striker has been blighted by injury problems in recent years, but could move for up to £12m.

---------

Would then explain why we are pushing ahead with the deal for the Sassauo lad.

I thought Sam G would take his place.

Might there be another striker exit?

Yeah, **** Stephens. Played really well stepping into VvD's shoes, certainly better than Gibson or Ake did (Jan-May)but **** him, get youngsters in from other clubs and ditch our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We conceded loads of goals with Yoshida and Stephens as a pairing. We can and should start next season with better than both, VVD or no VVD.

I fear you're right but I find that lack of depth disappointing.

I hate to sound like Glasgow but if Everton are signing Keane, Pickford and Klaassen whilst we're replacing our captain with some Polish kid who's never played in England, I can't see us catching them any time soon.

We conceded loads of goals with Yoshida and Stephens as a pairing. We can and should start next season with better than both, VVD or no VVD.

In 19 games after vvd got injuryed we kept seven clean sheets with that CB pairing. We conceded 30 goals, 5 of those in the game we handed to arsenal in the fa cup, 10 to utd, Chelsea and city combined. So in 15 games we kept 7 clean sheets and conceded 15 goals.... think that's pretty decent

Hopefully MoPe can use his contacts to get some Spanish youngsters. Some serious talent in their U21 team. Must be others in La Ligue we can get too

Ceballos from Betis along side Romeu for example... €15m release fee apparently

In 19 games after vvd got injuryed we kept seven clean sheets with that CB pairing. We conceded 30 goals, 5 of those in the game we handed to arsenal in the fa cup, 10 to utd, Chelsea and city combined. So in 15 games we kept 7 clean sheets and conceded 15 goals.... think that's pretty decent

My memory of it was that we kept clean sheets by being defensive and leaked like a sieve whenever we played someone half decent.

Jack looks like being a decent player but he is a long way from being the finished article.

My memory of it was that we kept clean sheets by being defensive and leaked like a sieve whenever we played someone half decent.

Jack looks like being a decent player but he is a long way from being the finished article.

That was pretty much my impression as well. He might develop into average EPL CB, but I can't see much more upside in his career development. He would be a good back up CB for Saints, but we shouldn't rely on him as a first pick on the regular basis.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Basically this. Puel was forced to play negative football with a defensive core of Yoshida/Stephens/Forster. Anything expansive and we were vulnerable at the back.

With VVD, J-Rod and maybe Bertrand and Cedric all leaving, there could be a bumper kitty available for Les and co.

Yes indeed you are right.

I know it's all press speculation but the links of a Poland young kid, Italian striker for 15m, Chambers and Gibson who we will never pay 25m for does not excite me.

For the next level I would hope for Klaassen who went to Everton, Oliver Giroud or that Manchester City striker who never gets a chance up there.

Just my thoughts.

With VVD, J-Rod and maybe Bertrand and Cedric all leaving, there could be a bumper kitty available for Les and co.

May also add that 125m from those players alone could well be invested in the club again but it makes you think where is the extra 100m that many premiership clubs are spending right now?

Let's not kid ourselves. There is no way we will reinvest anywhere near what we receive in player sales this summer. Club seem to get off on buying cheap then selling for 5-10 fold more couple of years down the line. Maybe good business practice but very deflating for the fans.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Let's not kid ourselves. There is no way we will reinvest anywhere near what we receive in player sales this summer. Club seem to get off on buying cheap then selling for 5-10 fold more couple of years down the line. Maybe good business practice but very deflating for the fans.

Not sure anyone is kidding themselves? I think there's an element of satisfaction when you can get a player for 10m and they become a star.

Signing players for huge sums doesn't always work. It may look exciting to the fans, for some reason, but for a club of our size - looking at gems in the 10-15m bracket is the absolute spot on strategy.

Well as we aren't selling anyone worth a lot of money ( according to Sky anyway) anything is possible.

After watching u21s last night must say Maxi Arnold the German captain looked superb and exactly what we need linking midfield and attack and perfect foil with Romeu, also the German right back looked superb

I'd say Arnold is already above our station, he's got the likes of Arsenal/Barca watching him. Quality player. Will leave Wolfsburg for a big club sooner rather than later.

I know that a lot of the rumours out there are complete rubbish, but if there's any truth to Andre Gray wanting/expecting a new £100,000pw contract at Burnley, it might be time to officially close down football as a thing.

Rather than close it down, time to adopt some practices around the world that other leagues employ.

USA - wage cap. No idea about the draft system, as I don't understand it but there is a desire for a level playing field which gives the competition more integrity. But wage caps that, say, all in the PL can afford would be something that would be most welcome, even if it means we would be more likely to be relegated.

Rather than close it down, time to adopt some practices around the world that other leagues employ.

USA - wage cap. No idea about the draft system, as I don't understand it but there is a desire for a level playing field which gives the competition more integrity. But wage caps that, say, all in the PL can afford would be something that would be most welcome, even if it means we would be more likely to be relegated.

Oh I love the principle of a team salary cap. But I'm not sure there's any chance of it unless it was a UEFA (or FIFA) wide thing, as each nation would want to remain competitive. Then there's also the legal challenge, I'm not quite sure of the specifics, but I think the NFL players claimed that it is an artificial restriction of their ability to get paid what market forces allow. And that's the NFL, a standalone entity, I imagine it would be more complicated in Europe.

The draft is a brilliant concept, but it works because of the college system in the US, rather than teams developing their own youth players, and because the NFL (and I imagine the other sports, I only really know about NFL) has a constant set of teams. There's no 'pyramid', there's no relegation.

I don't even think the playing field needs to be 'level', it just has to be a bit more even. Plus with less money going on players wages there might be just a little bit more to go to other areas of the game that need it. All a bit wishful thinking though, the Premier League have the power and they see the biggest clubs dominating as the best way to boost the global appeal of their 'brand'.

(also my post about closing football down was a joke really, just expressing my disdain at the point we've reached...)

I thought that the PL has instituted a wage cap of sorts for the upcoming season. No team is allowed to increase it's wage bill more than x% over the year before. The league was concerned that all the new TV money would end up in the players' pockets. It's given Arsenal difficulties as they look to increase Ozil and Sanchez's salaries.

It might have an impact similar to FFP, keeping the smaller clubs down by locking them into a comparatively low wage structure.

I know that a lot of the rumours out there are complete rubbish, but if there's any truth to Andre Gray wanting/expecting a new £100,000pw contract at Burnley, it might be time to officially close down football as a thing.

The trouble is, desperate teams such as Liverpool would offer him that, just to sit on the bench (i.e Ings who I've been told is on c.£80/£90k a week).

It's teams such as Liverpool, City and Chelsea who are causing player demands to increase and making average players unaffordable for clubs like us.

I thought that the PL has instituted a wage cap of sorts for the upcoming season. No team is allowed to increase it's wage bill more than x% over the year before. The league was concerned that all the new TV money would end up in the players' pockets. It's given Arsenal difficulties as they look to increase Ozil and Sanchez's salaries.

It might have an impact similar to FFP, keeping the smaller clubs down by locking them into a comparatively low wage structure.

As you say, like FFP, that's just another problem. Nothing is done about the teams already spending ridiculous amounts. If Arsenal can afford it, I don't see why they should be victims of a rule just because of the timing of its introduction.

The trouble is, desperate teams such as Liverpool would offer him that, just to sit on the bench (i.e Ings who I've been told is on c.£80/£90k a week).

It's teams such as Liverpool, City and Chelsea who are causing player demands to increase and making average players unaffordable for clubs like us.

Also signing loads of players and then sending them out on loan. Which can also have an effect on who we sign. I believe Arsenal had something like 24 players out on loan....

Rather than us allegedly offering 20m for a sassulo striker, why not try for josh king from Bournemouth, had an impressive season and would give us a different option up front

He would cost £35m+. Which is why we're going for the Sassulo striker. Much more value.

Rather than us allegedly offering 20m for a sassulo striker, why not try for josh king from Bournemouth, had an impressive season and would give us a different option up front

You can forget anyone decent in the Prem, with the money going around they are going to have absurd asking prices on their heads.

The only possible exceptions are unwanted kids at big clubs. The likes of Ake, Christensen or Januzaj might be on the menu, although still wont be cheap.

Why are we still so obsessed with penny pinching?

We have sold players for 230m last 3 summers and received 150m from the premiership for last season alone.

If we are serious about our ambitions we need to start spending some money.

Buy cheap buy twice!!!

Why are we still so obsessed with penny pinching?

We have sold players for 230m last 3 summers and received 150m from the premiership for last season alone.

If we are serious about our ambitions we need to start spending some money.

Buy cheap buy twice!!!

Ah the Pompey approach.