Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Why are we still so obsessed with penny pinching?

We have sold players for 230m last 3 summers and received 150m from the premiership for last season alone.

If we are serious about our ambitions we need to start spending some money.

Buy cheap buy twice!!!

I don't normally do this but 1/10

Didn't we break our transfer record twice last season? Not exactly sure we are penny pinching.

I'd imagine wage bill is more the issue than transfer funds. Should free some up once Jay Rod goes who has probably been on like £60k a week whilst barely playing.

Would rather see us spend on the right targets than just spend, cos lessons could be learned from the likes of West Ham, Liverpool and Man Utd, not sure those clubs have got value from their transfer spending.

It should also be remembered that some of our biggest transfer fees, Ramirez, Osvaldo and (so far) Boufal, have not worked out excellently for us. Whilst the cheaper buys like Romeu, Bertrand, Van Dijk, etc. have.

Why are we still so obsessed with penny pinching?

We have sold players for 230m last 3 summers and received 150m from the premiership for last season alone.

If we are serious about our ambitions we need to start spending some money.

Buy cheap buy twice!!!

We've spent nearly what we've received. So stfu

'penny pinching' has seen us field Toby Alderweireld, Sadio Mane and Virgil Van Dijk in recent season, three of the best/most sought over players in the league at the moment, so if that's what penny pinching is then i'm all for it. The other option is be like Palace or Stoke and spending millions on very average players.

We've spent nearly what we've received. So stfu

That's right... Just the loose change like 50-60m difference. Or do you also add incoming wages not outgoing as that's what SFC like to do?

Im not encouraging a "Pompey approach" of spend spend spend, just feel if proven premiership quality is available we should be flexing our food chain muscles once in a while.

Weve spent money i dont doubt that but we've wasted alot as weve spent alot on gambles (not premiership proven) - Juanmi, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Clasie, Cuco, Gazzaniga, Hojberg, Boufal too. Thats nearly 100m down the crapper

^ post like that do make you wonder how some posters on her actually cope in the real world. It actually scares me that we have bred a generation of entitled, stupid and delusional humans.

Some of us aren't dealing with the daily struggles of PTSD bought on by our relegation to league 1.

If thinking we could be better at flexing our muscles and occasionally taking the top players from Burnley, AFCB, Swansea, Hull makes me stupid and delusional then yes im both.

IMO this summer we only need about 2/3 signings (plus replacements for any key players).

We need a summer like the one where we signed Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo and little else.

Yes Osvaldo was a massive failure but all three were signings made to start as key players and Lovren/Wanyama massively improved the quality of our first XI.

Quality over quantity this summer, certainly.

Some of us aren't dealing with the daily struggles of PTSD bought on by our relegation to league 1.

If thinking we could be better at flexing our muscles and occasionally taking the top players from Burnley, AFCB, Swansea, Hull makes me stupid and delusional then yes im both.

At last you have come to terms with who you are, well done :thumbup:

IMO this summer we only need about 2/3 signings (plus replacements for any key players).

We need a summer like the one where we signed Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo and little else.

Yes Osvaldo was a massive failure but all three were signings made to start as key players and Lovren/Wanyama massively improved the quality of our first XI.

According to the business gurus on here, that would bring us to the brink of financial oblivion.

Remember this is the Southampton, not the Pompey Way.

That's right... Just the loose change like 50-60m difference. Or do you also add incoming wages not outgoing as that's what SFC like to do?

Im not encouraging a "Pompey approach" of spend spend spend, just feel if proven premiership quality is available we should be flexing our food chain muscles once in a while.

Weve spent money i dont doubt that but we've wasted alot as weve spent alot on gambles (not premiership proven) - Juanmi, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Clasie, Cuco, Gazzaniga, Hojberg, Boufal too. Thats nearly 100m down the crapper

How can you write off Hoj and Boufal so soon? They are young and just coming off their first season with a manager who could barely utilise his players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that a lot of the rumours out there are complete rubbish, but if there's any truth to Andre Gray wanting/expecting a new £100,000pw contract at Burnley, it might be time to officially close down football as a thing.

Totally agree, add this to the reasons not to renew the ST.

How can you write off Hoj and Boufal so soon? They are young and just coming off their first season with a manager who could barely utilise his players.

I think it's referred to as fitting his agenda. The tweaking of facts, the careful choice of particular stats to fit the troll's argument...

Tbf i rarely write off players or managers early on and im hoping both Boufal and Hojberg prove me wrong.

In fact my only early write offs were Ramirez and Puel (& Black) so maybe i do have a skill for talent spotting.

:toppa:

Tbf i rarely write off players or managers early on and im hoping both Boufal and Hojberg prove me wrong.

In fact my only early write offs were Ramirez and Puel (& Black) so maybe i do have a skill for talent spotting.

:toppa:

Fortunate you were on gardening leave during Mané's initial spell, right pal.

Do agree with this. That was our last summer of first XI quality signings, rather than investing in the future. However it is the model and maybe they feel that it costs too much to be signing top internationals to improve our first XI now, as our first XI id arguably better and easier to improve on the positions.

We also had the impact of Europa league for the last few years, so we needed a thicker squad so I can see why we built the squad up a bit. Would be nice to bring in a few top players though who will walk straight into the side. Fees are just utter madness at the moment though, an average prem player is going for £25m this summer and a decent one for £35/40m+.

If we can find value abroad then so be it, but when a prem side is interested the transfer fee seems to rocket straight away. Even if we don't sell anyone, we could still do with a DM, and a AM/Winger.

If we get to a place where we have something along the lines of the below, we look in pretty decent shape...don't think we need huge surgery tbh unless we're going to let a few go.

Forster/McCarthy/Taylor/Lewis

Cedric/Pied/Valery

VVD/Yoshida/Stephens/Bedarnek

Bertrand/McQueen/Targett (Maybe either of the latter go out on loan in the championship)

Romeu/NEW/Hojbjerg/Davis/JWP/Reed

Boufal/NEW/Redmond/Tadic/Sims

Gabbiadini/Austin/Long/Gallagher

Edited by Saint Garrett

Fortunate you were on gardening leave during Mané's initial spell, right pal.

That's right, i was in prison and they only allow positive posts from the slammer.

My posts about Mane saying "be patient" and "hes absolutely class" were only for the benefit of the screws

Ake's gone to Bournemouth for £20m

Sky say that Chelsea want to have a buy back clause. Seems that this is the way they are going but does come across as having their cake and eating it too. Chelsea have something like 28 players out on loan. They are taking the p1ss big time, and TBH this sort of nonsense should be stopped. Maybe UEFA should say that they cannot loan to any club in the top league of any country.

Just buy him without letting Ryan go. They seem to be operating similar to Chelsea by adding buy backs in. Just give them first refusal on him in the future, that'll do. Let Jay Rod go and play him with Gabi just off him.

We are apparently interested in signing Thomas Vermaelen from Barcelona..

Not a chance. Played about 40 times in 4 years and basically has one working leg. Was decent in his younger years but injury prone as hell.

Swap deals just don't happen. Watch this summer across the Premier league and see if any actually happen.

Ruben loftus cheek / Ake for Def mid, For the new winger I would show some ambition and go for Walcot / OX

Ake would definitely be a decent signing, particularly as he could double up in the cb position as well. Above all, he's experienced and proven in the premier league, which most of our signings are not...

Southampton are poised to sign Bury youngster Will Ferry, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.

Ferry is highly-regarded at Bury having progressed through the ranks at Gigg Lane after joining the club at the age of seven.

The skilful midfielder has yet to make his first-team debut for Bury, but he trained with the team on a regular basis last season.

The 16-year-old development for Bury's academy has brought him to the attention of a number of Premier League clubs with the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool all inviting him on trial.

Bury have earned a reputation for developing some of the best young talent in the country after selling the likes of Emeka Obi to Liverpool, Matthew Foulds to Everton and Jacob Bedeau to Aston Villa in recent seasons.

Bury have been bracing themselves for offers for Ferry and Southampton have stolen a march on their Premier League rivals by setting up a deal for the teenager.

Ferry is due to undergo a medical at Southampton on Friday after the two clubs agreed a fee for his services.

Ferry will join Southampton's academy set-up as they look to find and develop some of the best young talents in the lower leagues.

Source: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/29/por-southampton-to-land-bury-starlet-ferry/

According to a Hammers-supporting colleague, West Ham want 2 strikers with Prem experience, and one of them is Shane Long. Naturally it's a "Hammers-linked-with-striker" story, so i ignore it. I still think Long is an asset for us, as long as he's not the main striker.

Article about Chalobah looking to leave Chelsea for first team football. Ideal partner for Romeu, can't think of a better move for him in terms of playing time, already been in a squad with Stephens. JWP, Redmond, Targett.

Only one year left on his contract too. You'd like to think we're monitoring him at the very least.

We're crying out for some physical presence in midfield (and defending set pieces). And Chalobah's a better footballer than just a destroyer. Possibly a relative bargain to be had?

^ post like that do make you wonder how some posters on her actually cope in the real world. It actually scares me that we have bred a generation of entitled, stupid and delusional humans.

Where's the "like" button? Spot on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk