Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Swap Tadic for Markovic, i'd be pretty content.

That is mental. Him and Tadic moved to this country in the same summer - as pointed out above, in that time Tadic has the fourth highest amount of assists. What has Markovic done since then?

That is mental. Him and Tadic moved to this country in the same summer - as pointed out above, in that time Tadic has the fourth highest amount of assists. What has Markovic done since then?

I thought he did pretty well for Hull on loan last season. So sure he hasn't played as much as Tadic but he is a highly talented player, who's 5 years younger than tadic who was barely given a chance at Liverpool. Right now Liverpool are trying to buy ex chelsea reject Salah for £35m, so not being given a proper chance at a top club isn't necessarily a sign you are a bad player.

If Tadic stays he stays, i'm not one of the crowd constantly bashing him but equally if we're looking to move him on and we get Markovic in return i'd be content.

Dael Fry would be a good signing, well within our price range. I see he's on the subs bench for England in the U20 World Cup Final. Centre back is a position where youngsters take time to develop and at 19 he's very much 'one for the future'.

Interesting suggestion, and agree with Heisenberg about looking to recruit from lower leagues.

But I'd not heard of him before, but on doing a search saw this on Wikipedia:

On 31 August 2016, Fry joined Rotherham United on loan until the end of the 2016–17 Championship season.[8] The loan was terminated early on 4 January 2017, having not featured for the club since early November.[9]

So, he might be one for the future, but on reading this it raises the question in my mind - is he any greater potential than Jack Stephens, who similarly had a loan spell last season that was terminated for the same reason (coincidentally at Middlesboro...) ? Same question might be asked re the Polish U21 we've been linked with.

Liverpool interested in Tadic according to Sunday Times.

There was a persistent rumour that VVD has a release clause as well. That turned out to be made up. I can't believe Saints would do something as dopey as attach a £13 mill release clause to Tadic.

Tadic complained publicly about being subbed late on in games by Puel. I can only imagine how he'd react if he spent most of the season on Klopp's bench.

Yeah id like to see us flex our muscle a little more with clubs below us (in food chain)

In the same way that we cant keep players joining clubs above us (in food chain) should be reflectively easy to sign these young and talented players.

Everton have stolen the march on that and seem to be heavy focused on young talent from the lower leagues

I must take this rare opportunity to agree with you. But if we do this we need to be hyper vigilant about the tapping up rules.

Fabian Delph is a perfect example of a player Palace or Stoke will sign and we have go through the entire summer reading Delldays and Glasgow whining about how we've missed out on a great signing. See also: Andros Townsend, Joe Allen.

I wish we were Stoke.

Fabian Delph is a perfect example of a player Palace or Stoke will sign and we have go through the entire summer reading Delldays and Glasgow whining about how we've missed out on a great signing. See also: Andros Townsend, Joe Allen.

I'd have taken a midfielder scoring 6 goals!

Last summer i made alot of noise about 2 signings.

Idrissa Gueye and Nacer Chadli - both were affordable and i felt both cdajfu.

I was with you on that one. Seemed to be to be the most obvious signing to make.

Janekx89‏

@janekx89

Follow

More

��Lech Poznań ma kolejną poważną ofertę z @SouthamptonFC za Jana Bednarka, może paść nowy rekord sumy odstępnego transferu z ES-y (5.25mln €)

My Polish isn't brilliant, but we've made a €5.25 offer for Jana Bednarka, who is a 21 year old centre back.

http://www.przegladsportowy.pl/pilka-nozna/transfery,jan-bednarek-moze-trafic-do-southampton-za-rekordowe-pieniadze-transfery,artykul,790344,1,970.html

Says he is in the Poland squad for the U21 WC so they are in no rush to agree a deal as he might generate more interest if he plays well, including against England.

Southampton have 4 representatives at the U21 European Championships...

- Ross Wilson (director of scouting)

- Bill Green (head scout)

- Regional scouts for Germany & Poland, Andreas Fehse & Piotr Kasprzak

Yeah, Cairney is a great little player.

This is exaclty the shizzle we've been missing from Midfield.

Goals!!!

Obligatory Youtube Video:

SKIP TO 30 SECONDS

** In fact I would be well happy if we signed him :blush:

And also, since Fulham raided our academy staff when we went down...

We really should get this lad, especially if Bertrand is leaving... Seems only just!!

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has claimed that Newcastle United made a £20m offer for Tom Cairney this year. (Newcastle Chronicle)

Which bit of his career suggests that?

He made his competitive debut 26 days later in a UEFA Europa League third qualifying round first leg against Southampton at St. Mary's, playing the full 90 minutes of a 3–0 defeat and giving away the ball to Shane Long to score the final goal

just what we need the sort of player who can help Shane Long score goals....

Seems we are linked with a lot of players on the younger end age range obviously this has some benefits with the way the club operates but the squad really lacked leadership last season so I hope we are looking to get in a couple more senior players with a bit leadership skill to go with all these youngsters.

Seems we are linked with a lot of players on the younger end age range obviously this has some benefits with the way the club operates but the squad really lacked leadership last season so I hope we are looking to get in a couple more senior players with a bit leadership skill to go with all these youngsters.

Nothing wrong with signing some good youngsters to delvelop more ourselves. If we don't have the quality in the development squads I think it's good to bring people in instead.

Nothing wrong with signing some good youngsters to delvelop more ourselves. If we don't have the quality in the development squads I think it's good to bring people in instead.

Absolutely but we had the second youngest squad in the league last season and I think it showed at times. I think we could do with a couple of older (later 20s) experienced "Captain" types to help with leadership and orginization on the pitch.

Absolutely but we had the second youngest squad in the league last season and I think it showed at times. I think we could do with a couple of older (later 20s) experienced "Captain" types to help with leadership and orginization on the pitch.

I hadn't realised that. Factor that in, and we did pretty well - or rather Claude did. The squad will be better placed for that experience.

Watching these quality French players outplay England ... and wondering why when we have a French manager that we haven't attracted any French players???

I guess the answer is "because Les Reed buys the players and he ain't French". Not expecting Mbappe but Umtiti type would do!

We've had a French manager for one year and bought Pied and Boufal. How many were you expecting?

Like Anyone chooses their job based on the nationality of their boss anyway.

Watching these quality French players outplay England ... and wondering why when we have a French manager that we haven't attracted any French players???

I guess the answer is "because Les Reed buys the players and he ain't French". Not expecting Mbappe but Umtiti type would do!

That team is full of young quality players from Monaco, Dortmund, Barca.....we're not going to be buying from them.

We bought Bouful and Pied by the way from the french league, I'd suggest Pied was solely on the recommendation of the manager.

It turns out Les ain't Italian, but he's bought Italian. He ain't Serbian, but has bought Serbian. He ain't Portuguese, but he's bought Portuguese. He ain't Spanish, but he's bought Spanish.

It turns out Les ain't Italian, but he's bought Italian. He ain't Serbian, but has bought Serbian. He ain't Portuguese, but he's bought Portuguese. He ain't Spanish, but he's bought Spanish.

Just another failed attempt to bash Les Reed.

I would take Delph. Give him a £3m signing on fee and drop his wages to £65kpw. Get him to sign a Mark Hughes contract where he's guaranteed a place when fit. Job done.

Pretty sure I could do Les' job.

I would take Delph. Give him a £3m signing on fee and drop his wages to £65kpw. Get him to sign a Mark Hughes contract where he's guaranteed a place when fit. Job done.

Pretty sure I could do Les' job.

Considering he's on £90k a week now, I'd suggest his agent would tell you where to stick your offer.

That's before you get to the point of him actually being that great; he stood out at AV because the rest were pretty poor, not because he was brilliant.

Two experienced players that would in my opinion makes sense (wage dependant):-

Chris Smalling - would be an excellent straight in the team proven pl player.

Samir Nasri - a definite upgrade on our midfield, also proven quality.

We need to get some players in who have played in the pl, so we can get off to a front foot start for a change...

We need to get some players in who have played in the pl, so we can get off to a front foot start for a change...

Let me straighten you out, you do not want to touch Nasri with a bargepole. Horrid little man who causes problems everywhere he goes.

You want a 30 year old who left Arsenal for more cash at City? I can't think of a player I'd want less in our squad.