Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Most likely - I've seen bits of him and looked decent. Can play left wing too

Looks like he's played left mid at full international level, so would fit in with how it looks like we'll want our left backs to get forward.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Norwich set asking price at £12m, apparently.

£12m would be a snip, IMO.

I've a friend who coaches at Norwich and from what I've been told, they rate Murphy higher than they did Redmond. If the fee of £12m is accurate, I would definitely take the gamble. £12m for an English player is peanuts in today's market.

I've a friend who coaches at Norwich and from what I've been told, they rate Murphy higher than they did Redmond. If the fee of £12m is accurate, I would definitely take the gamble. £12m for an English player is peanuts in today's market.

Agree. 1 good season & they are worth pretty much double.

Don't see us having that much cash without selling anybody.

Pretty sure there was very little due-diligence done on this one. Just a case of us needed to get Osvaldo off the backs at whatever cost.

Was he linked to Osvaldo deal, mate? I just remember him seemingly being a pre-Morgan-sale panic signing.

Be good if we signed the VVD replacement before he goes, otherwise as soon as others see what we received the valuations are likely to to be increased.

Same with a left back if Bertrand does go.

Would make a change to sign someone before we let a player leave, just for a change, Austin for Pelle (supposedly) excluded.

I read this thread, and find the whole thing rather "depressing". All these clubs to one degree or another, including us, are spend spend spend. Man City is the worst - what is the point of spending £200m on their academy when they don't have any academy players in their team and are unlikely to? Hell, they didn't have any English players in their starting XI when they came to SMS, although Sterling did manage 5 minutes. The bit in the Times about Liverpool hierarchy telling Klopp to forget VVD and look for other targets, leaves me thinking, why not develop your own? I do think that Marcus had the right dream of having, what was it, 75% of the 1st squad having come from the academy. That might be unrealistic, but having the few that we do have is great (as well as making a lot of financial sense).

I have always thought that a premium should be added to players bought from overseas, a premium that would go to grass roots football. All these huge fees we pay overseas clubs takes money out of the game to our detriment. I was thinking about 15% would be adequate, but I like the Chinese way of doing it - 100%!! - although that might be way OTT.

But I realise that I am living in the past, and now have got to the stage of "if you can't beat them, join them" and look forward to £30m signings arriving.

Am I alone in thinking like this?

I read this thread, and find the whole thing rather "depressing". All these clubs to one degree or another, including us, are spend spend spend. Man City is the worst - what is the point of spending £200m on their academy when they don't have any academy players in their team and are unlikely to? Hell, they didn't have any English players in their starting XI when they came to SMS, although Sterling did manage 5 minutes. The bit in the Times about Liverpool hierarchy telling Klopp to forget VVD and look for other targets, leaves me thinking, why not develop your own? I do think that Marcus had the right dream of having, what was it, 75% of the 1st squad having come from the academy. That might be unrealistic, but having the few that we do have is great (as well as making a lot of financial sense).

I have always thought that a premium should be added to players bought from overseas, a premium that would go to grass roots football. All these huge fees we pay overseas clubs takes money out of the game to our detriment. I was thinking about 15% would be adequate, but I like the Chinese way of doing it - 100%!! - although that might be way OTT.

But I realise that I am living in the past, and now have got to the stage of "if you can't beat them, join them" and look forward to £30m signings arriving.

No I agree, mentioned it another thread about Liverpool and Man Utd who's previous success was always built on a British core and often included loads of homegrown players. Now they spend like £25 million on players that barely play, like Markovic cos Liverpool £20 million a few years ago and barely played, ended up at Hull last season on loan.

Why spend £20 million for a player you don't need surely a youth team player could have taken that spot.

These clubs just throw money around until something sticks.

I believe our aim is 50% homegrown players, I just think recently there has been a little gap in the talent coming through but it seems we have some more talented youngsters coming through.

I reckon we'll have a good 7 or 8 homegrown players in our squad next year.

---------------------------------

The Sun is saying we are interested in signing Grégoire Defrel from Sassuolo.

Nope, I think it too.

The problem being the "Benchmark" of a players ability seems to be his transfer fee.

I can understand paying money for PROVEN players within the league. Teams like Liverpool, Man City tracking Bertrand and VVD makes sense to me as they've proven they're exceptional in the league.

Foreign players, who have never played in the league are a risk regardless of the fee IMHO, there's no guarantee that a £30m CB will out perform a player from the academy.

Look at Stephens, I thought he was excellent last season given his chance, before he played those games no one thought he was good enough and would have taken a foreign CB over him, i'd say he's almost good enough to start next to VVD every game next season...

Everton now in talks to sign Onyekuru and loan him to Anderlecht next season to help with his work permit.

Looks a cracking player and a bargain at the fee Eupen want.

EVERTON AGREE ONYEKURU DEAL

Sky sources understand Everton have agreed deal to sign Henry Onyekuru from KAS Eurpen.

The Nigerian striker was the joint top scorer in Belgium last season.

He had £6.8m release clause in his contract and his advisers had also been in talks with other clubs, including Arsenal and West Ham.

The 20-year-old, who doesn't qualify for a work permit yet, will be loaned to Anderlecht for next season (doesn’t qualify for work permit yet).

Bit odd how West Ham didn't tie that one up. Another striker who got away?

He'll be a decent player I reckon, seen a bit of him, but I think we're well stocked in that area.

West Ham spinning so many striker plates, that they likely just forgot about him.

Everton seemingly stocking up their attack with Sandro Ramirez set to join as well.

Good couple of strikers there for around £13m.

West Ham spinning so many striker plates, that they likely just forgot about him.

Everton seemingly stocking up their attack with Sandro Ramirez set to join as well.

Are they going for the 'many' approach to replace the 'single' Lukaku?

When we had our mass sales 3 years ago, we kind of replaced like for like pretty well. Pelle for Lambert, Tadic for Lallana, Bertrand for Shaw, Toby for Lovren etc. And it worked pretty well for us.

When clubs go down the route of stock piling lots of players to bulk up the squad on the back of a huge windfall (similar to Tottenham with Bale/Liverpool with Suarez) it very rarely works.....

Look at Stephens, I thought he was excellent last season given his chance, before he played those games no one thought he was good enough and would have taken a foreign CB over him, i'd say he's almost good enough to start next to VVD every game next season...

Absolutely agree with this. Couldn't understand the section of our fans clamouring for Stephens to be dropped in favour of Caceres

EVERTON AGREE ONYEKURU DEAL

Sky sources understand Everton have agreed deal to sign Henry Onyekuru from KAS Eurpen.

The Nigerian striker was the joint top scorer in Belgium last season.

He had £6.8m release clause in his contract and his advisers had also been in talks with other clubs, including Arsenal and West Ham.

The 20-year-old, who doesn't qualify for a work permit yet, will be loaned to Anderlecht for next season (doesn’t qualify for work permit yet).

Gutted , he was always my favourite Womble!

http://www.sassuolocalcionews.it/copertina/defrel-lagente-e-in-inghilterra-si-tratta-con-il-southampton/

"The negotiation with the English club is well advanced: Sassuolo striker could soon leave the Emilia for a new adventure in the Premier. As revealed by Premium Sport , the agent of Gregoire Defrel , Giampiero Pocetta, it would already be in England to evaluate the offer of Southampton. The Sassuolo asks least 20 million. Immediately after the prosecutor will move to Poland to conclude the passage of Lorenzo Pellegrini from neroverde the Giallorossi. The signing is expected in the coming days."

Obligatory youtube video -

Edited by Wimborne_saint

Like John Terry and Per Mertesacker :mcinnes:

I did wonder if someone might respond to my admittedly flippant remark by citing John Terry as an example. Of course it doesn't render him useless as a player - Fonte wasn't exactly quick - but I would prefer to sign someone who does have pace. Having spoken to a Middlesbrough fan in my office, while he says Gibson is one of only two or three players of 'Premier League quality' in their squad (of which Adama Traore is strictly not one), he wasn't exactly falling over himself to praise Gibson.

Not sure Maguire is blessed with pace either, but he does seem to have something extra about him that I don't see with Gibson in the same way.

Edited by mrfahaji