Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Not so much earlier in the season when McQueen filled in and there wasn't a huge drop off in performance. However, recently Bertrand has regularly been one of our best, if not THE best player on the pitch.

Also left backs like cbs are in unfortunately short supply.

Not so much earlier in the season when McQueen filled in and there wasn't a huge drop off in performance. However, recently Bertrand has regularly been one of our best, if not THE best player on the pitch.

He has upped his game a lot recently some of his performances before Christmas were very poor by his standards.

Could Wilshere be the CM that we need? I know he's not the most popular on here but it's easy to look a bit of a **** when you play for one of the big clubs. Has found his fitness at Bournemouth and i've always thought he came in for some harsh criticism over recent years and I believe he's the best CM that England have. He may lack size but more than makes up for it in technical ability.

No thankyou - average player on huge wages.

Also left backs like cbs are in unfortunately short supply.

If hull go down, they could provide both with maguire and Robertson? Must say I've no real insight into how he's doing this season but know he was highly rated. I also believe both are out of contract this summer, but could be wrong.

Another one on a similar theme is Kirchhoff at Sunderland. He was a big part of why they survived last year but has been injured most of this season.

Not sure free transfers from relegated sides is the best recruitment policy, but there will be a couple worth looking at you'd have thought.

Holding on to players is going to be the key. I get the feeling that VVD wants to stay one more year - but obviously if a big offer comes in (£60m+...and yes I think he is really worth that much) we are going to have to let him go. Romeu is a strange one, clearly one our most consistent performers but that one strikes me as lazy journalism. Cedric is probably more likely. Signing another Romeu type player would be high on my list though.

I haven't read the reports from the u23 game last night re Caceres but if we can retain him for next season and sign Maguire then I think we will have a good base to work with (with Yoshi and Stephens deputizing as required). I think we will need to look around for another forward as I do see JRod leaving in the summer if a offer comes in. I would certainly give Sam Gallagher a run as he seems to be doing very well at Blackburn in an otherwise poor team. Other than that I don't feel we are lacking too much.

Cedric to barca story seems to be gathering pace. Barca to offer 25 million and we won't stand in his way

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2017/03/08/barcelona-eye-shock-25m-raid-for-pl-star-to-finally-solve-defensive-headache/

Whilst i'm sure he is one of 10 possible right backs on a list for Barca - it seems to be reaching a bit saying that Luis Henrique thinks he's the solution, he won't even be the manager next season!

It's going to depend on who they sign as manager. Koeman never trusted him and if they get Poch i imagine they'll go for Kyle Walker.

Cedric to barca story seems to be gathering pace. Barca to offer 25 million and we won't stand in his way

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2017/03/08/barcelona-eye-shock-25m-raid-for-pl-star-to-finally-solve-defensive-headache/

Be a bit of a shame if true, that said it does swing the door open for young Jason McCarthy to progress who looks to be having fun at Walsall. Yes I know it's only League One, but no disrespect to his team mates, he does look a cut above. Relatives are Bury season ticket holders and they said that he was the stand out player (2 goals aside) for Walsall in their recent 3-3 draw.

Gathering pace meaning more sites are copying the same reports. Nothing new here, links directly to the Sun report the previous day which was then a rehash of another report last week.

Probably true though, would be a shame as Cedric has become a key player since he got over his injury (head) problems last season. Still some on here think Martina is better so we will be OK if we offer hiim a new contract :lol:

Gathering pace meaning more sites are copying the same reports. Nothing new here, links directly to the Sun report the previous day which was then a rehash of another report last week.

Probably true though, would be a shame as Cedric has become a key player since he got over his injury (head) problems last season. Still some on here think Martina is better so we will be OK if we offer hiim a new contract :lol:

I don't think anyone on here thinks Martina is better than Cedric?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/776426/Nathan-Tella-Arsenal-Southampton-trial-transfer-news-gossip

ARSENAL youngster Nathan Tella has revealed he wants to join Southampton.

Tella is out of contract with Arsenal and has been given permission to find a new club.

The 17-year-old has been on trial with Southampton, Reading and Norwich as he looks to kick-start his career.

And Tella admitted in Arsenal’s matchday programme ahead of their 5-1 last-16 Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich at the Emirates last night that he was closing in on a new club.

"I'm working hard in games and training and have been on trial with Southampton, Reading and Norwich, and all the teams have said that they want me back to have another look with a view to offering me a professional contract,” he said.

"I will be at Southampton this week and hopefully they like what they see and I can continue to build my career."

Not lately, no. Last year there were definitely some games where Cedric looked, let's say 'unfortunate', and Martina had some decent games. This year Cedric seems more consistent. Maybe the European title has boosted his confidence.

There are many, just a few on this thread as an example:

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57132-Martina-and-Van-Dijk&highlight=Martina#.WL_lc_mLRPY

One particularly enlightened poster even thought I had a thing for Cedric, (didn't see thatat the time). No ****. Still if I had at least I would be in the company of Barcelona :lol:

Telegraph reporting that Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to leave Arsenal and is "desperate to play more regularly and regain his place in the England squad".

Not for me, but worth putting out there.

Would take him back. Has been one of Arsenal's best players in the past few months (not hard I know) and he's versatile. Suspect they would want more than we sold him for (including add-ons, £15m) but I think he'd thrive under Puel.

I'd jump at the chance if he wasn't one of our guys. I'm just wary of the psychology of crawling back to Southampton, especially when you return as a big earner. But I suppose that's more a reason he wouldn't come than a reason he wouldn't succeed if he did.

I'd jump at the chance if he wasn't one of our guys. I'm just wary of the psychology of crawling back to Southampton, especially when you return as a big earner. But I suppose that's more a reason he wouldn't come than a reason he wouldn't succeed if he did.

Would be more an everton or west ham signing

Telegraph reporting that Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to leave Arsenal and is "desperate to play more regularly and regain his place in the England squad".

Not for me, but worth putting out there.

I'd love him back. He's twice the player he was when he left us in league 1. Shame his wages will stop any interest from us though. :(

Who would he replace on a regular basis though?

He's looked really good in the centre of the park for Arsenal this season. Such a powerful mover with the ball.

Get Romeu a proper DM partner, pop Oxlade-Chamberlain in the 10, happy days.

I wouldn't say he would be 'crawling back'. He left when he was very young (17?) and when we were in League One. He has seen his chances limited by injury and Wenger's inability to figure out where to play him. Wages will no doubt be an issue - but if he was to leave Arsenal we would be in a good position to sign him. Although as someone else said - Everton and West Ham would be probably favourites.

I'd love him back. He's twice the player he was when he left us in league 1. Shame his wages will stop any interest from us though. :(

I actually preferred him when he gamely bombed up and down the line for us in League 1. Seems a totally different player now. Much more measured, probably a better all round game, but I'm not sure he is a stand out central midfielder, whilst I thought he was a stand out right midfielder able to get up and down, make the right choices but also have the pace and flair to do damage in the final third. I cant remember the last time I saw him beat a man for Arsenal. Obviously hes playing at a totally different level, so waltzing past fullbacks is not as easy as it was in league 1, but he just never does that, which is a shame.