Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

The general consensus on here seems to be that VVD is a £70m player. However there are loads of posts dismissing other clubs valuations of their players as ridiculously overpriced? If VVD is 70 then people need to accept that it's going to drag a lot of bang average CB's into the 20/30 million bracket and we'll have to pay that for our (possibly but hopefully not) bang average replacement.

Of course, but circumstance play a part too. Virg is our best player, and he's on a five year deal and we apparently don't want to sell. Sakho is not only surplus to requirements but is actually feuding with the manager and the club, has 3 years left on his deal according to a quick google (not bad from Liverpool's point of view but its not 5 years), and is out with a knee injury. There is no way we should be stumping up our record transfer fee for him, even in this crazy inflated market, they are desperate to get rid.

Of course, but circumstance play a part too. Virg is our best player, and he's on a five year deal and we apparently don't want to sell. Sakho is not only surplus to requirements but is actually feuding with the manager and the club, has 3 years left on his deal according to a quick google (not bad from Liverpool's point of view but its not 5 years), and is out with a knee injury. There is no way we should be stumping up our record transfer fee for him, even in this crazy inflated market, they are desperate to get rid.

This basically, £20-30 million for a player (Sakho) that doesn't want to be at Liverpool and they don't want him is stupid.

As it is for Wimmer, who has 14 times for Spurs in two seasons.

it would be like us asking for £20 million for Stephens, just stupid. Or £30 million for Yoshida......

You'd struggle to justify 10m for either Sakho or Wimmer

Hmm - Although I agree it is madness, all transfer fees are, seems that £10m gets you a less than average Prem player these days. Both should arguably be around the 15m mark, Sakho probably slightly higher due to experience and how well he did at Palace. Fee driven down a bit because of his situation at Liverpool + high wages.

£10 million for Wimmer would be a decent signing I think, £15 million for Sakho, depending on his injury.

Wasn't he offfered to us for £10m in Jan and we said only on a loan? Probably worth a bit more now - but I guess they don't want to do any business with Liverpool. For obvious reasons.

I know nothing of Wimmer.

Seen a suggestion Monaco are also keen so hopefully we can wrap it up quickly.

Well then it would become a no contest wouldn't it. In the CL, living in a principality where there is virtually no tax and playing with a fellow countryman against playing in the PL with a mid table side, probably not even playing at all à la Gardos and paying shedloads of tax for the privilege.

That't it then - always knew it would happen. I have gone senile and am living in my own happy little world, but strangely it's not that happy - guess it's penance, prior to the journey to hell!

Remember talking to Emlyn Hughes a few years ago (truly fantastic guy) and he was on a £100 a week (yes £100) during his hey days at Liverpool, and had to work after his footy career ended to support his family. It's just sickening what this industry has turned in to (certainly not just a game any more).

You're losing your faculties there Red, old crazy horse passed away some 12 - 13 years ago. Mind you, you're right - a top, top bloke - met him once and he was just diamond.

Hmm - Although I agree it is madness, all transfer fees are, seems that £10m gets you a less than average Prem player these days. Both should arguably be around the 15m mark, Sakho probably slightly higher due to experience and how well he did at Palace. Fee driven down a bit because of his situation at Liverpool + high wages.

What did we pay for Austin? £4mill?

Well then it would become a no contest wouldn't it. In the CL, living in a principality where there is virtually no tax and playing with a fellow countryman against playing in the PL with a mid table side, probably not even playing at all à la Gardos and paying shedloads of tax for the privilege.

Monaco might well be a more attractive option than Saints, but tax won't be the issue. You're forgetting that the obscene wages quoted for players nowadays are net of tax. The clubs effectively pay the tax for them.

He'd have a better shot at making the starting 11 with Southampton...at least that's what I'd argue if I was trying to get his signature. He's coming off a season of few starts with Dortmund.

yeah but Liverpool can wheel out the Klopp Clown and we can't compete with that...

https://www.thegamblingtimes.com/2017/06/20/southampton-keen-chambers-reunion/#.WUjtF95MD0Y.twitter

Would take Chambers back for sure, not sure about £20m+ price tag though!

Well we sold him for 16m so not that difficult to accept especially given the way the market has risen generally since. I'm not sure he's improved massively but I think after the initial dodgy year at Arsenal he is starting to look more consistent. I'd be happy enough with him coming back and seeing how good he is alongside VVD. IF he hadn't been ours in the first place he fits our usual profile very well....early 20's, (English, bonus), prem experience, lots of potential. Question is can we get better......

https://www.thegamblingtimes.com/2017/06/20/southampton-keen-chambers-reunion/#.WUjtF95MD0Y.twitter

Would take Chambers back for sure, not sure about £20m+ price tag though!

As what, though? He's not a better centre back than Van Dijk or Yoshida, and arguably Stephens; or at least not significantly better to justify such expense.

He ended last season playing right back - and he's not better than Cedric (haven't seen enough of Pied to form an opinion).

Seems like a lot of money for - at best - a bit part player. And why would he even want to move to a club where he'd be no nearer the first team than the one he left?

We robbed Arsenal blind getting £16m for him - let's not ruin what was a cracking deal for a player who won't make it as a top class centre back, because he's too weak in the air, and lacks the pace and mobility to succeed at full back (Montero at Swansea taking him to the cleaners a couple of seasons ago was particularly brutal).

It's a no from me.

Well we sold him for 16m so not that difficult to accept especially given the way the market has risen generally since. I'm not sure he's improved massively but I think after the initial dodgy year at Arsenal he is starting to look more consistent. I'd be happy enough with him coming back and seeing how good he is alongside VVD. IF he hadn't been ours in the first place he fits our usual profile very well....early 20's, (English, bonus), prem experience, lots of potential. Question is can we get better......

I don't really see the point. At that price are we getting £20m more value than Jack Stephens? Both a similar level in my book. Both had about the same number of Senior appearances, although Chambers has had more at PL level.

Could CC fill in a defensive midfield role long term?

That was something Wenger suggested was a possibility when he signed Chambers - only to play him there approximately once, ironically against Saints (4 - 0), where he was absolutely useless.

Not sure he's featured in midfield since...

Don't see the point in having Chambers back. He wouldn't get in at CB as we have 3 better options already and we're still after one more to replace Fonte (I hope). He's not as good as Cedric and even in today's market I wouldn't spend anywhere near £20m on a reserve RB when Pied looks, if nothing else, adequate.

Don't we already have enough CM who work hard but lack pace, physicality and creativity. What's he going to do that Classie or Hojbjerg can't?

As what, though? He's not a better centre back than Van Dijk or Yoshida, and arguably Stephens; or at least not significantly better to justify such expense.

He ended last season playing right back - and he's not better than Cedric (haven't seen enough of Pied to form an opinion).

Seems like a lot of money for - at best - a bit part player. And why would he even want to move to a club where he'd be no nearer the first team than the one he left?

We robbed Arsenal blind getting £16m for him - let's not ruin what was a cracking deal for a player who won't make it as a top class centre back, because he's too weak in the air, and lacks the pace and mobility to succeed at full back (Montero at Swansea taking him to the cleaners a couple of seasons ago was particularly brutal).

It's a no from me.

He's better than Yoshida and Stephens.

Don't see the point in having Chambers back. He wouldn't get in at CB as we have 3 better options already and we're still after one more to replace Fonte (I hope). He's not as good as Cedric and even in today's market I wouldn't spend anywhere near £20m on a reserve RB when Pied looks, if nothing else, adequate.

Don't we already have enough CM who work hard but lack pace, physicality and creativity. What's he going to do that Classie or Hojbjerg can't?

Err why couldn't he be the fourth CB to replace Fonte? We also know he can do a job at RB making him useful cover for Cedric.

Err why couldn't he be the fourth CB to replace Fonte? We also know he can do a job at RB making him useful cover for Cedric.

We don't need a 4th CB, we need a first one; Virgil, Yoshi, Chambers and Stephens is not enough. Yoshida and Stephens have stepped up admirably but even playing incredibly negative, safe football we shipped goals. We need someone who can come in and be a strong partner for Virgil (on the of chance he does stay) right from the off.

We don't need a 4th CB, we need a first one; Virgil, Yoshi, Chambers and Stephens is not enough. Yoshida and Stephens have stepped up admirably but even playing incredibly negative, safe football we shipped goals. We need someone who can come in and be a strong partner for Virgil (on the of chance he does stay) right from the off.

[emoji106]

We shipped goals with Fonte and VVD playing to. Yoshida and Stephens both proved they could cut in the PL last season and I full expect to see one of those starting along side VVD next season which leaves us one spot to fill the last spot given the lack of top quality CB available its mostly likely to be one for the future I reckon.

I'd reckon the quoted fee has probably something to do with a sell on clause I reckon. It's in reality probably £15 million, but has to be £20 million so Arsenal get that amount and would also put us in the driving seat in signing him because we'd get the money whoever Arsenal sold to.

£15 million for Chambers seems a bit steep, but then we are talking £50-60 million for centre-backs at the moment, we paid £12 million for Shane Long two years ago.

I'd have him back because -

1. He's versatile, technically very accomplished, decent pace, strength and size so could easily play centre-back, right back, or centre-mid.

2. He's young and showed good promise when he was here, plus his early period at Arsenal was good as well, so hopefully he can get his career back on track and hit that potential.

3. He's English so that will always add a premium.

4. He's one of our own and the failure at a big club might make him a bit more grounded and more likely to stay long term. if we should be going for any Arsenal player is should be the Ox, £20 - 25 million for him would be a great signing IMO.

But papers are saying today £15 million and Everton and Newcastle interested so it looks unlikely to me.