Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I think the Tottenham example is interesting. They spunked the Bale money on a lot of big name players some of whom eventually came good (Erikson, Lamela), but a lot of whom were a complete waste of money (Soldado, Paulinho, Epoue,etc). They then changed tack a bit and started promoting the young English players into the first team (Kane, Dier, Mason, Ali,etc) and did miles better.

This runs contrary to the suggestion earlier on that looking to get a few young English players into the first team is a huge risk. For Tottenham it was the tactic of making big money signings that didn't really deliver and only when they brought in the young English ones (mixed with the better few of the earlier signings) did they really start to improve.

Would indicate that a good mix of academy and smart signings is the way to go.

......and when you see that Prowsie & Co. won the Toulon tournament, it's difficult to say that there's no English talent available nowadays.

Foreign managers usually want to buy foreign players....to the exclusion of English talent, but Spurs were clever in promoting their young players and getting them into England shirts where they got higher level experience against foreign opposition (like Iceland :lol:) but also increased their valuation in an eventual transfer situation.

Edited by david in sweden

Aside spunking the Bale money badly, weren't Spurs always looking to sign young promising domestic players? That's how they got Bale, Lennon, Walker, Rose, Huddlestone, Routledge, Dawson, Carrick etc.

With Davies, Trippier, Dier and Alli being the more recent ones. I think over the years they've probably signed 1-2 young english players pretty much every season and consistently raided the championship and done pretty well out of it.

Something we certainly shouldn't be adverse to doing, Lewis Cook, Will Hughes are a couple of examples, clearly there is talent out there. Surely better for these sorts of players to come to us where they will get development time and game time, rather than say Rob Holding going to Arsenal where he will play friendlies and league cup games.

Was told this morning that the Schweinsteiger story might just have legs.

Hard to see him as a Saints type signing.

However.....'new direction' - talented kids, with an experienced leader in the dressing room to help them develop...?

Well no, but he sells a lot of shirts so Under Armour might be interested in that.

I can't imagine there are too many people out there who would buy a Saints shirt solely because it's got 'Schweinsteiger' on the back. Nowhere near enough to touch his wages.

According to a link on newsnow we have been linked and offered the chance to sign Jese from Real Madrid, now that,would be good! http://www.squawka.com/news/real-madrid-offer-jese-to-west-ham-and-southampton-with-15m-rated-forward-keen-on-premier-league/736025

Good player but if there is a buy back its kind of a pointless signing - he's either shît and not bought back or we get £1.8m profit after a year or two rather than £20+m profit if he does any good

Good player but if there is a buy back its kind of a pointless signing - he's either shît and not bought back or we get £1.8m profit after a year or two rather than £20+m profit if he does any good

'Any good' is a big grey area. He could be as good as Lallana or Mané and Real Madrid wouldn't give him a second glance.

'Any good' is a big grey area. He could be as good as Lallana or Mané and Real Madrid wouldn't give him a second glance.

But say Liverpool wanted to buy him and we said that'll be £25-35m please, Madrid would just buy back and sell to them immediately for a £10-20m profit. Would be worth their while

Interesting first post!

if one were to take his user name literally, one might think we were about to give Aaron Ramsey the number 10 shirts. but we should never assume.

cant think of any other AM players with the initials AR off hand

Edited by Nolan

You are mental if you would not take him in a heartbeat. If we could somehow become a Barca and Real finishing school for the likes of Morata and Jese - we would probably be winning the league.

But say Liverpool wanted to buy him and we said that'll be £25-35m please, Madrid would just buy back and sell to them immediately for a £10-20m profit. Would be worth their while

Possible but I can't see any motivation for Jesé to do that. Why sign a contract with Real, so that you can immediately sign for Liverpool, just to screw Saints out of some money that he doesn't get?

Possible but I can't see any motivation for Jesé to do that. Why sign a contract with Real, so that you can immediately sign for Liverpool, just to screw Saints out of some money that he doesn't get?

Isn't it exactly what's happening with Morata and Real Madrid/Juventus

Jese would be a quality signing, good replacement for Mane, not quite the same raw pace and strength but excellent close control and good finisher.

I'd take him even with the buy back clause risk. Rumours seems to have him linked heavily with Arsenal and Liverpool, though why either of those need more forwards is beyond me.

Good deal (if it happens of course). If he did well enough that Real would activate a buyback clause, even if it's just to sell him on, then it means that he would have done well and basically means Saints would have been paid £2m to develop him.

No

Good deal (if it happens of course). If he did well enough that Real would activate a buyback clause, even if it's just to sell him on, then it means that he would have done well and basically means Saints would have been paid £2m to develop him.

If West Ham want him they will get him, they will blow us out of the water wage wise.

More exciting this way.

Nothing better than supporting one of your own playing for England.

To be fair, I can thing off a few better things, but hey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madrid wanting to sell for 15m with a 16.3m buyback clause does not do us much good anyway since if he were to come good like Morata did at Juventus, Real will just buy him back and try to sell him on at market value so they can rake in the real profit themselves.

Madrid wanting to sell for 15m with a 16.3m buyback clause does not do us much good anyway since if he were to come good like Morata did at Juventus, Real will just buy him back and try to sell him on at market value so they can rake in the real profit themselves.

That is obviously the case but on the other hand it may mean we get a decent player that otherwise would be out of our league for a couple of seasons. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to a link on newsnow we have been linked and offered the chance to sign Jese from Real Madrid, now that,would be good! http://www.squawka.com/news/real-madrid-offer-jese-to-west-ham-and-southampton-with-15m-rated-forward-keen-on-premier-league/736025

This would be an absolutely outstanding signing. Can totally understand why Real would want a buy back clause. If we were to get Jese, even with a buy back clause, it would be a major, major coup.

That is obviously the case but on the other hand it may mean we get a decent player that otherwise would be out of our league for a couple of seasons. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it also means we're taking all the risk financially

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

But it also means we're taking all the risk financially

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Naw. Sign him and if he looks great in training and initial games, just don't pick him for games and in a year we get a super star - simples :-) Now that is long investment with healthy returns!

This would be an absolutely outstanding signing. Can totally understand why Real would want a buy back clause. If we were to get Jese, even with a buy back clause, it would be a major, major coup.
it seems to be the same deal as we had with Toby......lets hope we tie the loose ends up a bit better if we can get a buy clause put in

Yeah pretty terrible deal. We get all the financial risks(£15m) for little benefit. If he's poor/injured we're lumbered with another very high wage player on a long contract. If he's good they buy back for same amount we bought him for if you factor in transfer inflation. Essentially it's a far worse version of a loan.

I have Swansea as struggling against relegation this season. Williams gone, Ayew going, Gomis gone, and I'd be surprised if they kept hold of Sigurdsson.

yet, would be good business if it was us selling these players?