Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Article about Chalobah looking to leave Chelsea for first team football. Ideal partner for Romeu, can't think of a better move for him in terms of playing time, already been in a squad with Stephens. JWP, Redmond, Targett.

This 100%.

Watford want him. Les probably favours Harrison Reed.

Not a link to saints, but Wolves are apparently close to signing Ruben Neves from Porto for around 20m. This would be a ridiculous signing for them, he looks a really promising player and has been linked to chelsea and liverpool in the last few days.

Porto are desperate to sell as they are at risk of breaking FFP rules and Wolves' strange link with Jorge Mendes might have something to do with this deal, but he's way too good for the championship.

Not a link to saints, but Wolves are apparently close to signing Ruben Neves from Porto for around 20m. This would be a ridiculous signing for them, he looks a really promising player and has been linked to chelsea and liverpool in the last few days.

Porto are desperate to sell as they are at risk of breaking FFP rules and Wolves' strange link with Jorge Mendes might have something to do with this deal, but he's way too good for the championship.

So is that Costa fella they have.

Article about Chalobah looking to leave Chelsea for first team football. Ideal partner for Romeu, can't think of a better move for him in terms of playing time, already been in a squad with Stephens. JWP, Redmond, Targett.

Actually he is meant to be very close friends with Nathan Redmond. Just finished reading Michael Calvin's latest book and he makes mention of this as well of praising the character of both. Not strictly relevant but as an aside Prowsie has been interviewed for the book and our club come out rather well in terms of how we treat and develop young talent.

Chalobah would add a bit of dynamism from our midfield and would appear to have a lot of potential. If the right deal can be put in place this would be excellent.

Lewis Baker is another on the Chelsea fringe worth keeping an eye for though imagine they may be reluctant to part permanently with either without a silly offer.

Do we even need a striker? I know J Rod is going, but surely Gabbiadini, Long and Austin (and perhaps Gallagher) will be enough for the season?

Yes, Long and Austin aren't good enough, I'd happily sell both. Expect Defrel would play on the right side of the attack, that was a problem for us last season so much so that we changed formation to accommodate the fact that no one played well there, getting rid of the role entirely by putting Ward-Prowse at right midfield and Tadic at 10. Gabbiadini, Defrel and Gallagher would be enough for the centre forward position, Batshuayi was the backup CF for Chelsea and he hardly played even when Costa was unavailable, Hazard moved to the middle instead. Four centre forwards would leave one and maybe even 2 players not getting a look in at all.

Yes, Long and Austin aren't good enough, I'd happily sell both. Expect Defrel would play on the right side of the attack, that was a problem for us last season so much so that we changed formation to accommodate the fact that no one played well there, getting rid of the role entirely by putting Ward-Prowse at right midfield and Tadic at 10. Gabbiadini, Defrel and Gallagher would be enough for the centre forward position, Batshuayi was the backup CF for Chelsea and he hardly played even when Costa was unavailable, Hazard moved to the middle instead. Four centre forwards would leave one and maybe even 2 players not getting a look in at all.

Long I agree with. Austin was our top scorer last season and was injured for most of it! So I'm not sure I concur with your assessment.

I'm not sure there can be much debate as to whether Austin is good enough for the Premier League, he's proved that he is with a more than respectable goal record. But if his physical attributes make him suitable for us, i'm not so sure.

Austin wastes 4-5 easy chances for every goal he scores.

Considering he scored 9 goals for us in 21 games last season (including sub appearances) and averaged 2.3 shots per game, means you are talking complete nonsense.

In minutes terms he only played 13 full games, so had about 30 shots in total, which means he's scoring about 1 goal for every 3 shots he has and 'easy chances' don't come with every shot.

For him to 'waste 4-5 easy chances for every goal he scored) he'd have to be shooting about 5 times more than he actually did.

People really do talk some complete rubbish on this forum.

Considering he scored 9 goals for us in 21 games last season (including sub appearances) and averaged 2.3 shots per game, means you are talking complete nonsense.

In minutes terms he only played 13 full games, so had about 30 shots in total, which means he's scoring about 1 goal for every 3 shots he has and 'easy chances' don't come with every shot.

For him to 'waste 4-5 easy chances for every goal he scored) he'd have to be shooting about 5 times more than he actually did.

People really do talk some complete rubbish on this forum.

Well said.

No one's saying Austin won't score goals. He'll just waste a load of chances too. He's this generation's (I've long since dreaded the day I'd start a sentence with those words) Grzegorz Rasiak and that's nothing against Grzegorz he was my favourite player as a kid, or Charlie for that matter but he does waste a lot of chances.

Edited by Instant Classic

No one's saying Austin won't score goals. He'll just waste a load of chances too. He's this generation's (I've long since dreaded the day I'd start a sentence with those words) Grzegorz Rasiak and that's nothing against Grzegorz he was my favourite player as a kid, or Charlie for that matter but he does waste a lot of chances.

Wtf? Austin will bury most chances he gets. The problem last season he wasn't aways played centrally but still 9 goals not bad considering he played out wide some of the time and missed half a season through injury.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Wtf? Austin will bury most chances he gets. The problem last season he wasn't aways played centrally but still 9 goals not bad considering he played out wide some of the time and missed half a season through injury.

He needed 8 chances to score against Burnley IIRC -and managed to bundle in is goal from open play only after the second attempt (from a couple of yards). Missed some sitters against Swansea. I could go on.

A distinctly average player and injury prone.

Surely we must be due a 30 page will he won't he thread for some player that's going to cost about 12million.

You know the one where nobody has really heard of him but he's either crap or brilliant.The one where some foreign journalists are saying we have bid but the president wants a bit more.

He needed 8 chances to score against Burnley IIRC -and managed to bundle in is goal from open play only after the second attempt (from a couple of yards). Missed some sitters against Swansea. I could go on.

A distinctly average player and injury prone.

He is an average footballer (technically) but he's a good goalscorer. Give him service and he will score. Simple.

Surely we must be due a 30 page will he won't he thread for some player that's going to cost about 12million.

You know the one where nobody has really heard of him but he's either crap or brilliant.The one where some foreign journalists are saying we have bid but the president wants a bit more.

£12m appears to be the going rate for a Long or a post-injury Rodriguez. So you can't expect much for that, unless the Black Box strikes lucky.

And to the last bit of the conundrum it is probably worth adding that the named player is subject to a joint ownership deal involving at least one Italian club whose chairman likes to be obstructive to any deal running smoothly.

Edited by Badger

Based on recent history, can only assume once we've been linked with a Celtic player it's because we've all but signed them.

25 not too old for our model? 20 goals in two seasons for Celtic seems ok.

Different leagues and all that.

Celtic linked with Charly Musonda which would be a hell of a signing.

Lol yeah ok...

Asamoah Gyan

Black Stars captain rejects Southampton and Stoke City offers

Asamoah Gyan has reportedly turned down offers to return to the English Premier League due to high taxes.

The 31-year-old left Sunderland in 2011 to join United Arab Emirates side Al Ain before moving to Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=C069195627BC47A0A349C49AF7A46804&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pulse.com.gh%2fsports%2ffootball%2fasamoah-gyan-black-stars-captain-rejects-southampton-and-stoke-city-offers-id6928902.html&c=487710000439233666&mkt=en-gb

Lol yeah ok...

Asamoah Gyan

Black Stars captain rejects Southampton and Stoke City offers

Asamoah Gyan has reportedly turned down offers to return to the English Premier League due to high taxes.

The 31-year-old left Sunderland in 2011 to join United Arab Emirates side Al Ain before moving to Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG

http://www.bing.com/news/apiclick.aspx?ref=BDIGeneric&aid=C98EA5B0842DBB9405BBF071E1DA7651530FFE51&tid=C069195627BC47A0A349C49AF7A46804&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pulse.com.gh%2fsports%2ffootball%2fasamoah-gyan-black-stars-captain-rejects-southampton-and-stoke-city-offers-id6928902.html&c=487710000439233666&mkt=en-gb

Hah!

I'll be 38 next month, and haven't played the game in any real sense since I was a teenager.

And I still think I'm more likely to sign for the club than this bloke.

He is an average footballer (technically) but he's a good goalscorer. Give him service and he will score. Simple.

Austin also couldn't last more than 60 minutes when he played - or start two games in a row. That was when he was "fully fit" after a complete pre season.

I just can't see him fitting in with the high tempo way Pellegrino wants to play, as good as he is from six yards. And the manager is said to be uncompromising in filtering out the players who can't or won't adhere to his regime.

As an option off the bench he'd be handy, but I can't imagine that's a role Austin would be happy with.

Austin also couldn't last more than 60 minutes when he played - or start two games in a row. That was when he was "fully fit" after a complete pre season.

I just can't see him fitting in with the high tempo way Pellegrino wants to play, as good as he is from six yards. And the manager is said to be uncompromising in filtering out the players who can't or won't adhere to his regime.

As an option off the bench he'd be handy, but I can't imagine that's a role Austin would be happy with.

I can see Austin being the sort of player that 'Arry might try and take to Brum (worked with im before, 'triffic lad... paid an extortionate amount to play in the Championship and way more than the club can afford, but 'arry doesn't give a sh!t about that...).

Depends on whether he can convince Pellegrino that he has a role to play here, and is fit enough.

Before his injury there were signs that Charlie's hold up play was getting better & he was becoming a better all round player. He was blowing out of his arse come 60mins, but if he's effective before then, who cares. Personally, I think to ditch him pre season would be madness. Give the manager a chance to assess him in training, in friendlies & even in Aug games. The transfer window doesn't close until end of Aug so there's no need to push him out the door until the new guys had a good look at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£12m appears to be the going rate for a Long or a post-injury Rodriguez. So you can't expect much for that, unless the Black Box strikes lucky.

And to the last bit of the conundrum it is probably worth adding that the named player is subject to a joint ownership deal involving at least one Italian club whose chairman likes to be obstructive to any deal running smoothly.

With football inflation in the last 15 years that's half a Rory Delap

That applies to quite a few of the current squad I'll be interested to see if we can pull off a 100% high pressing game with the likes of Austin, JWP, Davis, Clasie, Tadic, Hoj and Boufal in the squad. I imagine Mope's first job in pre-season will be double fitness sessions...

That applies to quite a few of the current squad I'll be interested to see if we can pull off a 100% high pressing game with the likes of Austin, JWP, Davis, Clasie, Tadic, Hoj and Boufal in the squad. I imagine Mope's first job in pre-season will be double fitness sessions...

Didn't he say in his interview that he tries to strike a balance on approach based on the players he has available to him?

Calm down mate, MoPo play high tempo pressing with Lambert, Davis and JWP, so I see no reason why MP can't do similar if he chooses to.

It will probably suit PEH and Claise tbh. Both are mobile players, one is combative, the other is a head up quick passer. Both will fit that style.

Loving all these long contracts but IMHO some of them are holding us back.

Would love an upgrade on Forster, Clasie and PEH to reach a higher level in the premiership.

Clasie has a contract until 2020, but I'm not sure why you think that means he can't be sold this summer. Nor why you have written off Hojbjerg already.

(it hasn't been called the Premiership since May 2007 ;))

West Ham being linked with a £15m bid for Andre Gray (don't they get linked with every striker?). Last year of his contract. Maybe we could use the JRod money to make a bid? That would be good business. Suppose depends on how we plan to to integrate Gallagher into the squad.

West Ham being linked with a £15m bid for Andre Gray (don't they get linked with every striker?). Last year of his contract. Maybe we could use the JRod money to make a bid? That would be good business. Suppose depends on how we plan to to integrate Gallagher into the squad.

I imagine his wages demands would be an issue for us he wants at least 70k a week apparently. West Ham will no doubt give him what he wants.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4650760/Burnley-s-contract-talks-Andre-Gray-stall.html