Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Why do people want a massive squad? We had loads of games last season and still not enough game time for players like Clasie, Reed, Gallagher (yes MLG I know he was on loan, but there was no space for him here despite a large number of games).

We've clearly finished shopping for CBs, we have very good full backs and good back ups, the club have faith in Forster and wouldn't have signed McCarthy if they didn't believe in him as back up.

Only movement I expect is CM and attack. Already Rodriguez out and Gallagher back in. So maybe Clasie and Reed out, perhaps on loan and 1 in there, then 1 forward/winger in. Going to be pretty quiet and will drive some insane but some stability in the squad would be good. More important having another year of experience for Redmond, JWP, Stephens etc, getting the most out of Boufal, Tadic. That is far more important than any signing. Why spend a fortune on another creative player and ignore those two? We either need to get a hell of a lot more out of them or move them on. Really, Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Sims, McQueen should be enough in the wide areas.

We can look on with envy at Everton but it's not easy fitting in loads of signings. Pickford will come straight in, probably Keane too but if Lukaku goes I think they'll be weaker overall. Will be interesting but change isn't easy and I imagine they'll be doing well to hit the same points total. Either way, I think we can close the gap on them. What's more likely, Saints improving to pick up 60 points or Everton closing the gap on the top 4?

Completely agree with this, I don't see any reason to sign tons of players.

Only Pickford & Keane are proven in the premier league, both for lower half teams as well with different pressure. There's no guarantee that the foreign players will come good, i'd much rather be starting the season with Lukaku and Barkley!

Why do people want a massive squad? We had loads of games last season and still not enough game time for players like Clasie, Reed, Gallagher (yes MLG I know he was on loan, but there was no space for him here despite a large number of games).

We've clearly finished shopping for CBs, we have very good full backs and good back ups, the club have faith in Forster and wouldn't have signed McCarthy if they didn't believe in him as back up.

Only movement I expect is CM and attack. Already Rodriguez out and Gallagher back in. So maybe Clasie and Reed out, perhaps on loan and 1 in there, then 1 forward/winger in. Going to be pretty quiet and will drive some insane but some stability in the squad would be good. More important having another year of experience for Redmond, JWP, Stephens etc, getting the most out of Boufal, Tadic. That is far more important than any signing. Why spend a fortune on another creative player and ignore those two? We either need to get a hell of a lot more out of them or move them on. Really, Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Sims, McQueen should be enough in the wide areas.

We can look on with envy at Everton but it's not easy fitting in loads of signings. Pickford will come straight in, probably Keane too but if Lukaku goes I think they'll be weaker overall. Will be interesting but change isn't easy and I imagine they'll be doing well to hit the same points total. Either way, I think we can close the gap on them. What's more likely, Saints improving to pick up 60 points or Everton closing the gap on the top 4?

Completely agree with this, I don't see any reason to sign tons of players.

Only Pickford & Keane are proven in the premier league, both for lower half teams as well with different pressure. There's no guarantee that the foreign players will come good, i'd much rather be starting the season with Lukaku and Barkley!

We need to keep what we have and then build by getting 2 or 3 key players. A CB, DM and AM (no10) should be a priority. I'd also like another forward (wouldn't be arsed with Long and or Austin going. Preferably Long).

If we are to "keep what we have" why do we need a sixth centre back?

Our squad is too large right now, too many disenchanted figures start to talk to journos and agents, we need to trim some more fringe players. I do agree that we need another beast of a defensive midfielder if we are playing 4231

If we are to "keep what we have" why do we need a sixth centre back?

Our squad is too large right now, too many disenchanted figures start to talk to journos and agents, we need to trim some more fringe players. I do agree that we need another beast of a defensive midfielder if we are playing 4231

I agree, we need to trim some fat.

In todays market we could probs raise £40m from the sales of....

Gazzaniga

Yoshida

Gardos

Targett

Clasie

Long

We need to keep what we have and then build by getting 2 or 3 key players. A CB, DM and AM (no10) should be a priority. I'd also like another forward (wouldn't be arsed with Long and or Austin going. Preferably Long).

If we are keeping players then I'd be surprised if we signed a centre back, another "number 10" or another striker.

You need 4 senior centre backs, so if we are keeping van Dijk then van Dijk, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek are the 4.

I doubt we'll be changing from Tadic and Boufal as the number 10 options. Of course both can be frustrating, but both have a lot of talent if Pellegrino can get the going.

In a 4-2-3-1 you need 4 strikers at most. At the moment I can't see us going with anything other than Gabbiadini, Austin, Long & Gallagher.

A central midfielder and another wide player are probably what we'll be looking for in the rest of the window. Not a lot else needs changing with a lot of depth to the squad now.

If we are keeping players then I'd be surprised if we signed a centre back, another "number 10" or another striker.

You need 4 senior centre backs, so if we are keeping van Dijk then van Dijk, Yoshida, Stephens and Bednarek are the 4.

I doubt we'll be changing from Tadic and Boufal as the number 10 options. Of course both can be frustrating, but both have a lot of talent if Pellegrino can get the going.

In a 4-2-3-1 you need 4 strikers at most. At the moment I can't see us going with anything other than Gabbiadini, Austin, Long & Gallagher.

A central midfielder and another wide player are probably what we'll be looking for in the rest of the window. Not a lot else needs changing with a lot of depth to the squad now.

We've a lot of depth, most of which is not good enough.

When I say keep what we have, that's in reference to the key players (I.e VVD, Cedric, Romeu etc...). I wouldn't be too dissapointed to see Tadic leave to make room for a new creative no10 (anyway, Tadic is generally played as a winger, is he not?). We've plenty of options at CM but if you ask me, only Romeu is defensivly strong enough to play in a 2. I'd also happily sell gardos and Yoshida if it meant bringing in another first choice CB and I'd have no problem offload long and/or Austin.

I'd guess that between them they'd bring in c.£20-£30m + Jay rod money, we'd hardly have to spend any of the TV money... Win Win.

Which is kind of the point we should be looking to sign better than we have instead we've plumped for a cheap young option instead.

I'd rather sign a cheap young option who grows in value and experience than an experienced guy on the wane whose value falls. Our model is perfect for our club. it's got us from the bottom to the top and has kept us solvent and in the top ten of the country. Thanks Liebherrs and thanks Les snd thanks Nicola for setting it up

I agree, we need to trim some fat.

In todays market we could probs raise £40m from the sales of....

Gazzaniga

Yoshida

Gardos

Targett

Clasie

Long

The lack of respect shown to Yoshida is astonishing. This is a player who has never complained, always given his all, shown absolute loyalty to the club, never given bad press, is an absolute gent and a true professional, and then our absolute *** "fans" describe him as fat to be trimmed from the squad.

Feckin shameful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lack of respect shown to Yoshida is astonishing. This is a player who has never complained, always given his all, shown absolute loyalty to the club, never given bad press, is an absolute gent and a true professional, and then our absolute *** "fans" describe him as fat to be trimmed from the squad.

Feckin shameful.

Not sure it's a lack of respect. In the same way that players (and we've had plenty) that want to move to a bigger and supposedly better clubs to improve themselves (putting the money aside for moment), why shouldn't the club try and sign players who are better than what we have.

Most people on here respect Yoshi for what he's done over the last few years, but feel we could do better.

It's the same as getting rid of Adkins to bring in Pochettino, but also the same as Lovren, Lallana, Schneiderlein & Wanyama all leaving. It has to work both ways.

Feckin shameful.

Everything you say is true but unfortunately he is not quite Top 10 Premier League standard. He usually makes one dire mistake or pass every game. In the competitive environment we exist in, he is a weak link. That is cruel but so is Premiership football.

Everything you say is true but unfortunately he is not quite Top 10 Premier League standard. He usually makes one dire mistake or pass every game. In the competitive environment we exist in, he is a weak link. That is cruel but so is Premiership football.

Disagree. Had a very good season and needs to be rewarded with a regular start alongside VVD. Cant see Wimmer or Gibson being any kind of upgrade

We've a lot of depth, most of which is not good enough.

When I say keep what we have, that's in reference to the key players (I.e VVD, Cedric, Romeu etc...). I wouldn't be too dissapointed to see Tadic leave to make room for a new creative no10 (anyway, Tadic is generally played as a winger, is he not?). We've plenty of options at CM but if you ask me, only Romeu is defensivly strong enough to play in a 2. I'd also happily sell gardos and Yoshida if it meant bringing in another first choice CB and I'd have no problem offload long and/or Austin.

I'd guess that between them they'd bring in c.£20-£30m + Jay rod money, we'd hardly have to spend any of the TV money... Win Win.

Disagree with the depth after the match day 18 not a lot of any substance think we need additional 3/4

Disagree. Had a very good season and needs to be rewarded with a regular start alongside VVD. Cant see Wimmer or Gibson being any kind of upgrade

Agree, he is easily good enough for the top 10 class. Every player makes a mistake a game, he was played out of position by Koeman and it's from this that people have made up their minds. He is good along side VVD.

Absolutely correct. I've seen the "disagree" posts, but the reality is proved with 99% of matches he has played for us.

Great guy a great signing, great cover, but he wouldn't get a season long starting place at any other top ten Prem club.

Agree, he is easily good enough for the top 10 class. Every player makes a mistake a game, he was played out of position by Koeman and it's from this that people have made up their minds. He is good along side VVD.

He can be great on his day and he definitely had his most consistent season last time out. Still, he can be capable of some awfully dozy moments that ultimately cost matches - I'm thinking of that Andy Carroll equalising goal in the game we ended up losing to West Ham at home, where he could have snuffed the through ball out but just let it pass under his foot, seemingly completely unaware of the danger or anything going on around him. Don't think his concentration levels are good enough to ever be a nailed on starter IMO.

If referees were half consistent, Fonte would have given away a penalty in every game for his continuous shirt pulling. He was good enough for a top 6 finish, Yoshi is certainly good enough for a top half team.

I certainly don't remember a dire mistake in every game during the second half of last season.

Feckin shameful.

T0tally agree

Its true unfortunately. He was good for the majority of last season but he is never more than one pass away from a horrendous cock up once a match. If we are looking for 12-17th then fine. If we are looking top ten he has to stay third choice I believe.

Having said that yes of course he deserves a contract extension, as cover.

He's played in over 20 league matches each season for the past 3 seasons where we finished 7th, 6th and 8th. That sounds exactly like top 10 premier league standard to me. That's not to say there aren't better defenders out there or that he should be starting every game but as someone that's been called on a lot to step up when others have left or been injured I think he's done a sterling job and we could do a hell of a lot worse.

I don't know enough about Stuart Armstrong to be fussed whether we sign him or not. But seeing that I've suddenly warmed to the idea, just to p!ss Brenda off.

"I said last season I could help him achieve tat in his career"

He's right about one thing...

They don't have to sell. They have a choice. Maybe their objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe.

Oh yes. This I like.

Where's the picture of his smug face?

Yoshida was outstanding during our run of 4 wins in 20 games.....

Sorry not good enough, unless your ambition is now just 13th-17th place.

You're a tool but you're right.

Yoshida was outstanding during our run of 4 wins in 20 games.....

Sorry not good enough, unless your ambition is now just 13th-17th place.

Nothing to do with the fact we were abysmal going forward the last 11/12 games of the season?

Take out Chelsea away which was a goalfest, we conceded 8 in our last 11 games (including 5 clean sheets). All of which alongside a young CB in Stephens.

I like Stephens and I like Yoshida, they both did a job for us at the end of the season but I don't think anyone should want Yoshida starting. Stephens at a massive push but ideally we should be signing somebody like Sakho or Wimmer to go next to VVD.

And to offer us stability for when VVD goes next year.

I like Stephens and I like Yoshida, they both did a job for us at the end of the season but I don't think anyone should want Yoshida starting. Stephens at a massive push but ideally we should be signing somebody like Sakho or Wimmer to go next to VVD.

You clearly don't like yoshida if you think signing Wimmer(Spurs 4th choice centre back) or the mr 50p head are upgrades on him. Personally i'm happy with yoshida/stephens over either of those 2. Having an experienced japanese international who's also shown himself to be a fantastic professional and a highly talented england u21 international is exactly what we need in terms of 2/3 choice centre backs.

You clearly don't like yoshida if you think signing Wimmer(Spurs 4th choice centre back) or the mr 50p head are upgrades on him. Personally i'm happy with yoshida/stephens over either of those 2. Having an experienced japanese international who's also shown himself to be a fantastic professional and a highly talented england u21 international is exactly what we need in terms of 2/3 choice centre backs.

Agree with this. Both Stephens and Maya did a good job and I'll be happy with either alongside VVD.

We don't need, and won't be buying another expensive and experienced CB.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree with this. Both Stephens and Maya did a good job and I'll be happy with either alongside VVD.

We don't need, and won't be buying another expensive and experienced CB.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree with all this. Yoshida has been a loyal servant, biding his time for his chance without complaining. He did a great job last season and has improved many aspect of is game. Not much signs of the mistake-prone Yoshida we have seen from the past.

He loves it here, he wants to play here and truly deserves being first choice.

Yoshida and VVD is a very good CB pairing. With Stephens and the polish guy as backup.

You're a tool but you're right.

Indeed. Ultimately there is a reason Yoshida has been at Saints five seasons and never been a first choice aside from when there have been injuries (or a cluster**** in the transfer market as happened re Fonte replacement).

Gradual weakening of our first XI for 18 months or so now.

Indeed. Ultimately there is a reason Yoshida has been at Saints five seasons and never been a first choice aside from when there have been injuries (or a cluster**** in the transfer market as happened re Fonte replacement).

Gradual weakening of our first XI for 18 months or so now.

some people are too sentimental and lacking in ambition - we would still have Chaplow and Jack Cork pulling the strings in midfield and Lambert banging them in up top if some of the people on here made decisions.

Maya has been decent enough back up (if you ignore his mistakes over the years) he seems content with playing 10-11 games a season and he will thankfully remain backup.

If we don't sign another CB (I hope we do) then VVD and Stephens will likely start the season with Maya back to the bench.