Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Southampton...Thomas Vermaelen is 'reportedly' heading towards the south coast team...Mirror

IMO would be a good signing if he has got over his injury problem even though it will only be for 1 year.

And, if he is not a replacement for VvD.

He was actually linked with a loan deal to us in our Championship season as he wasn't in favour at Arsenal.

As someone has already said Redmond and Tadic are considered wingers not midfielders.. Redmond in particular was described by our manager as the new Thiery!!

We could argue this out for eons, it doesn't change the fact our midfield did not contribute enough goals..end of. It's not phisical enough, lacks pace and hieght, quile and definately lacks goals. That needs sorting

So by midfielders you only mean central midfielders? Wingers are still midfielders.

Southampton...Thomas Vermaelen is 'reportedly' heading towards the south coast team...Mirror

IMO would be a good signing if he has got over his injury problem even though it will only be for 1 year.

And, if he is not a replacement for VvD.

Where did you see this Patred? Got a link?

If you follow the links from that to the original source of the rumour, it links back to a story from circa 29th June that we discussed at the time. I think it is unlikely to be true.

In terms of believable, substantiated incoming rumours this must be one of the quietest summers we've had since returning to the Premier League. I mean there's the odd mention of something here and there but nothing widely reported. Shows to me that the club are doing a great job keeping everything close the chest.

In terms of believable, substantiated incoming rumours this must be one of the quietest summers we've had since returning to the Premier League. I mean there's the odd mention of something here and there but nothing widely reported. Shows to me that the club are doing a great job keeping everything close the chest.

Or we aren't really signing anyone this summer....

Or we aren't really signing anyone this summer....

JRod has been sold and the Polish CB signed but I really, really doubt that we'll sign much else in the way of quality players unless we sell the same. Doubt if we have the money to do it actually. For the moment we're probably about even Steven in the ledger, about 12 million in for JRod and the same out from having paid off Puel and buying Bednarek.

Injury prone, over 30... Remy doesn't seem to be the 'Southampton way'

I suggest we update the 'black box' Les :uhoh:

Or we're just not interested and are being linked by his agent to drum up interest?

If it doesn't seem like a Saints kind of signing, 9/10 we're not interested.

No chance, just agent talk. We weren't interested other times he was available, he's done nothing since, had loads of injuries and on big wages. He got his move to Chelsea for doing for QPR what Austin did. He wouldn't be better than Austin or Gabbiadini now so why bother?

Sort of signing for West Ham or Stoke, with a few on here banging on about how we should definitely have gone for him.

Yeah, it's one of those "SSN / SkyBet" ploys to get some ££'s in.

There's mention in the Observer (16/07) that Saints and Huddersfield are both after Austria midfielder, Zlatko Junuzovic of Werner Bremen. Obviously may just be paper talk but if we signed a midfield player, I'd have thought someone would be going to create the space.

Those were the days when the Black Box actually seemed to work.......

You mean the MoPo/Cortese "box"...

Don't forget that the Cortese Black Box also brought us, Gaston,Gazzaniga, Mayuka and Forren. Then the MoPo- Cortese version also landed Osvaldo.

That said, inclined to agree that the recruitment hasn't been that impressive in the last couple of seasons.

http://www.football-espana.net/65183/southampton-want-alaves-feddal

I like the sound of this one

"Feddal is also known to be capable of playing left-back and as a holding midfielder."

buy one get 2 free :)

Knows Pellegrino from Alaves. Compatriot to Boufal so may help him settle better. Cheap...

May be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not the same thing, Boufal is a frenchman from Paris who plays for Morocco because that's his parent's nationality and he isn't good enough to play for France. The bloke from Alaves is a Morrocan, from Morocco.

Clutching at straws there a little bit. Obviously Boufal has the Moroccan nationality himself as well, not just his parents. Whether he's born in Paris or not doesn't change the fact that he's (also) Moroccan.

People realise the black box just means data analysis right? You track a load of players, have files on them all. Not sure why some find it odd when we get a manager and he gets players from leagues or teams he knows. Still good to have additional info on everyone and our scouting system has done pretty well overall.

My point, was that the "box" seems to sign a lot of players know to the manager. And the better managers have signed better players.

Chicken or the egg? Coincidence? :scared:

My point, was that the "box" seems to sign a lot of players know to the manager. And the better managers have signed better players.

Chicken or the egg? Coincidence? :scared:

its all part of an illusion. It is not what the box spews out it is the ability of the people looking at the info that makes the difference

I imagine it's something like this:

Manager: "I really like this player. And that one. And that one too."

Black box: "This one fits well into our preferred systems and player profile. That one doesn't as much, but if you really want him..."

Manager: "Alright!"

Edited by Pass the Dutchie
typo

Exactly trousers! Amazing how many fans still don't understand that.

No, it's not like that at all.

More like this...

Manager: We are weak at a, b & c and need players that can do x, y & z.

Les: What he said.

Black Box: ***Processing, Processing*** Here you go (presents shortlist).

Les: Arrange this lot in your order of preference.

Manager: Done.

Les: ***Negotiates stuff agents and other clubs*** Players signed.

Jacob Murphy to Newcastle. A number of players we have been linked with have gone elsewhere.

Might not have been interested in them all but strange to not have anything apart from Bednarek with not that long to go until the season starts.

Esecially with a couple of glaring weaknesses in the squad.

Surely we will sign at least one starting XI player?!

Jacob Murphy to Newcastle. A number of players we have been linked with have gone elsewhere.

Might not have been interested in them all but strange to not have anything apart from Bednarek with not that long to go until the season starts.

Esecially with a couple of glaring weaknesses in the squad.

Surely we will sign at least one starting XI player?!

What are the glaring weaknesses then ?

Depends what formation we play, but assuming 4-2-3-1 then I would say CB, DM & AM (No10) which is really the spine of the team.

oh my, however did we finish 8th last season then if we are missing 3 quality players. We could spend 60 or 70 million on the positions you say, we probably wouldn't finish any higher in the league though. We are what we are and only really serious money will change that.

oh my, however did we finish 8th last season then if we are missing 3 quality players. We could spend 60 or 70 million on the positions you say, we probably wouldn't finish any higher in the league though. We are what we are and only really serious money will change that.

You on your period today or are just anti saints supporter every post is negative go and clean some windows if that's what you are

You saying five centre backs aren't enough?

It's enough in number but IMO we need someone of better quality to partner Virgil if he stays (Wimmer or Sakho).

My worry about this window is that we are working on the basis that we won't sell anyone and therefore don't need to buy anyone. If we were forced into selling one or both of Virgil or Bertrand in the last week of the window because of a mega bid etc then we'd have left ourselves in a bit of a mess.