Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Sampdoria have bid £6.0m rising to £7.5 with add ons for Jack Wilshere. Worth a bid at that value surely? There's a decent player in there somewhere and we're generally pretty good at extracting the best from players. For £7.5m it's risk free in today's market. Best case scenario, he could be a long term replacement for Steven Davis.

Sampdoria have bid £6.0m rising to £7.5 with add ons for Jack Wilshere. Worth a bid at that value surely? There's a decent player in there somewhere and we're generally pretty good at extracting the best from players. For £7.5m it's risk free in today's market. Best case scenario, he could be a long term replacement for Steven Davis.

They can have him.

There was probably a decent player in there a few years ago, but he's shot to bits now. He couldn't even get a game for Bournemouth.

Premier teams getting good new blood in early to train and get ready for the season. Us: not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is if we moan about it people tell us to shut up as the season does not start yet.

IMHO I'm beginning to wonder why Tuchel turned us down because he knew he had to sell before buying and it would not surprise me if De Boar turned us down too after saying Palace spend money meaning we don't.

Problem is if we moan about it people tell us to shut up as the season does not start yet.

IMHO I'm beginning to wonder why Tuchel turned us down because he knew he had to sell before buying and it would not surprise me if De Boar turned us down too after saying Palace spend money meaning we don't.

We have sold though. Fonte 8m + Jay 15m

We also have the £150m from last season and the sales from the last 3 summers

Our sustainable model "southampton way" doesn't seem very sustainable if it includes large sales each summer

Would depend on his wages but I'd give it a go, think he's still probably better than what we have, he's a direct upgrade on Davis IMO, had a decent season for Bournemouth last year but you'd have to give him a very thorough medical.

Would depend on his wages but I'd give it a go, think he's still probably better than what we have, he's a direct upgrade on Davis IMO, had a decent season for Bournemouth last year but you'd have to give him a very thorough medical.

Would rather pay the extra for Armstrong from Celtic who is an attacking midfielder and someone we could sell on for profit.

I agree.

He was Bournemouth's best player for the first part of last year. £7m is nothing to a PL club however I would assume he'd be on a fairly high (for our standard) wage, which would obviously prove a risk given his injury record.

When he's fit, he could and would give us the creativity from midfield we are lacking. Personally I'd take the gamble and offer a decent deal of x amount (I'd assume that'd be around £60k, at a minimum) when you're fit and available to play, and x amount (say £20-25k) when injured. Or heavily lean towards bonus'.

Definitely worth a gamble for that money. He is a quality footballer when fit.

Boro spunking 15m in the championship for a striker from forest shows how mad this window is !

So, they can afford it, 104 million from the PL last season plus somewhere in the region of 90 million parachute payments if they don't get back up. They've made a few sales as well and had a couple of loaners that they won't have to pay in the Championship.

Transfers between UK clubs are also at a premium just now because of the rapid fall in the value of the humble pound sterling.

Probably down about 14% on this time last year; Makes your average Spanish striker at 10 million euros a bit expensive.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Think they've already started, didn't they play Linfield last week and are due to play them again this week ?

Yep. And then 3rd round next week if they make it, which they appear on track to do. So if that's a genuine transfer possibility it'll be early August.

I agree.

He was Bournemouth's best player for the first part of last year. £7m is nothing to a PL club however I would assume he'd be on a fairly high (for our standard) wage, which would obviously prove a risk given his injury record.

When he's fit, he could and would give us the creativity from midfield we are lacking. Personally I'd take the gamble and offer a decent deal of x amount (I'd assume that'd be around £60k, at a minimum) when you're fit and available to play, and x amount (say £20-25k) when injured. Or heavily lean towards bonus'.

Goals 0

Assists 2

Would fit in well with our midfield but not a goalscorer or creater that we need

We were rumored to be interested about a month ago but were turned down flat. Arsene Wenger and Florentina has tried to sign him in the last 2 weeks according to Metro.

Interestingly the French press are accussing 'clubs', not a club, of tapping him up. So, we could be one of those accussed. Would be embarrassing in the current circumstances with our Liverpool shenanigans if we were.

"The moves currently being made relating to our player are strictly illegal and sanctionable by FIFA regulations relating to the transfer of players (article 18)… We will take the necessary measures against anyone who goes against these regulations.”

We were rumored to be interested about a month ago but were turned down flat. Arsene Wenger and Florentina has tried to sign him in the last 2 weeks according to Metro.

Interestingly the French press are accussing 'clubs', not a club, of tapping him up. So, we could be one of those accussed. Would be embarrassing in the current circumstances with our Liverpool shenanigans if we were.

"The moves currently being made relating to our player are strictly illegal and sanctionable by FIFA regulations relating to the transfer of players (article 18)… We will take the necessary measures against anyone who goes against these regulations.”

Not quite. We were linked a few weeks ago by the Sun and that was it, even French sources were quoting the Sun. Doubt we were ever interested.

Probably see some jumped up scousers trying to absolve themselves of tapping up Van Dijk by pointing to this as "evidence" of our hypocrisy. Which would be ironic, considering how much they love the original source of our supposed interest due to their unfailing commitment to the truth.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=335603.6280

http://www.footballforums.net/threads/the-van-dijk-transfer-saga-how-did-southampton-fc-find-their-backbone.266360/page-17

Did I say probably? I meant definitely.

oh my, however did we finish 8th last season then if we are missing 3 quality players. We could spend 60 or 70 million on the positions you say, we probably wouldn't finish any higher in the league though. We are what we are and only really serious money will change that.

Exactly what a lot of us were saying as we left the stadium after the last game - "how the feck did we just finish 8th!" it was laughable. We can't keep relying on everyone else being shyte to scrape by. Surely we should be trying to be as good as we possibly can?

Goals 0

Assists 2

Would fit in well with our midfield but not a goalscorer or creater that we need

Most chances created for Bournemouth, 2nd most dribbles and best passes IIRC. Thing with Wilshere is hes the kind of midfielder that gets the team ticking, he isn't always the guy that gets the assist but he's the one find players in dangerous positions. Xabi Alonso didn't get many goals or assists but he was brilliant for Liverpool and they made a massive mistake selling him. Not saying Wilshere is that sort of level but he could be and plays that sort of way.

Karamoh and Defrel on the move. Two more we were linked with, although hard to know if any truth.

Wonder if the takeover is having any influence on our window strategy?

If we are talking about obscure links moving to other clubs, I read that Ridgeciano Haps is off to Feyenoord

Unfortunately I think not being able to attract Tuchel underlines that we're not as attractive a proposition as we have been, or we lack the ambitious leadership to sell the club to him. De Boer is more difficult to comment on, and we'll never really know whether we or Palace got our "first choice". (possible that we both did of course, but doubtful).

Unfortunately I think not being able to attract Tuchel underlines that we're not as attractive a proposition as we have been, or we lack the ambitious leadership to sell the club to him. De Boer is more difficult to comment on, and we'll never really know whether we or Palace got our "first choice". (possible that we both did of course, but doubtful).

Or the simple fact Tuchel wants to manage a CL club. Something hes agent said in public.

Hasn't Tuchel said he wants a break away from football, just because he hasn't 5 minutes later instantly donned his speedos and goggles and dived in when (if) uncle Leslie came knocking with a golden chance to get into the mad mad world of the Premier league with the leagues bestest stepping stone club doesn't mean nowt..

We have who we have, he's been touched by the Mercurial Bielsa, let's just see where this chapter takes us, instead of getting into what ifs and why nots of all the other "interesting possibilities" on the table.

Throw in an option to buy and I'd be well up for it. He's going to be a really good player, but has no chance of significant game time at City for the foreseeable future.

The reason City are struggling to sell is due to (a) them wanting OTT prices for them to try and recap the OTT price they paid for them and (b) because their players are on silly wages and no club are willing to pay them.

Nasri and Iheanacho would both be good signings at the right price and wage.

Really good player. But a loan?

I believe we have not taken a youngster on loan to develop since 2012.

I doubt we are going to start now.

Probably 1 of 3 things.

1. Could of offered it as part of the Bertrand offer but as an option to buy him.

2. Agent talk to generate interest from any club.

3. Sun make it up as they need to fill some bull**** space.