Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Not that we're going to be in for him, but Barkley should be a much better deal in the final days of the transfer window.

Everton are holding out for a huge fee for a player with one year left on his contract who has turned down all offers to extend it. If he's still there when the window closes, they'll have held out for £50m only to lose him for free (in 12 months).

Given Spurs are supposedly interested in him, and Daniel Levy is a notorious tightwad, I'd expect that transfer to happen maybe as late as deadline day, to squeeze the price as low as it'll go.

I think Spurs probably want to be sure of being able to offload Sissoko before buying any other expensive midfielders.

We could get away with just one really quality central midfielder to play alongside Romeu.

Shame in hindsight we didnt opt for Gueye when we signed Clasie - he would be ideal.

Need someone in that area who is different from what we have (i.e can run) and who would go straight into our best XI.

Yeah but he played for Aston Villa and they were rubbish so he couldn't possibly have been a good signing :rolleyes:

Do you think the reason why we haven't signed anyone for the first team yet is that we aren't prepared to pay the prices currently being banded about and are holding off to try and get better value later in the window?

I think part of it is, we would be a second/third choice for some of the better players, they won't want to cash in their chips with us just yet, hence why our better signings have come at the end of the window. The other side is that the prices will be better toward the end assuming we are not in a bidding war. If we buy early, we pay a premium for sure, a bit like buying a house. If you want to prevent the seller from testing the market, then you have to pay a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that we're going to be in for him, but Barkley should be a much better deal in the final days of the transfer window.

Everton are holding out for a huge fee for a player with one year left on his contract who has turned down all offers to extend it. If he's still there when the window closes, they'll have held out for £50m only to lose him for free (in 12 months).

Given Spurs are supposedly interested in him, and Daniel Levy is a notorious tightwad, I'd expect that transfer to happen maybe as late as deadline day, to squeeze the price as low as it'll go.

This is why we should have kept Wanyama for one more year. With Wanyama we would have made more than the £15m I sue by finishing higher/winning league cup final

Yes Barkley is English, but Everton don't need the £15-£20m or so hence kept the price at £50m.

This is why we should have kept Wanyama for one more year. With Wanyama we would have made more than the £15m I sue by finishing higher/winning league cup final

Yes Barkley is English, but Everton don't need the £15-£20m or so hence kept the price at £50m.

We didn't get 15 million for Victor, think we got about 12 and had to hand Celtic a slice of that.

Barkley is different, if he wants to play WC 2018 he'll need to perform this season, England aren't short of candidates in his role.

So either some other club pays whatever Everton actually want for him or he'll have to back down and play for Everton.

Edited by Window Cleaner

See a lot of people are asking for a DCM but could Jack Stephens perform this role (a bit like Toby did from time to time) either as a straight DCM or as part of a central back three stepping forward as the wing backs drop back?

How much has anyone seen of Stephens playing DM? I'm ok with the idea of him 'stepping up' from a back three - VVD could do it too - because primarily he's a CB. However, I'm not sure we should be assuming he is good enough to do the job there instead of Clasie, Hojbjerg or JWP.

(I realise you are also asking the question rather than advocating it, I just don't think there is enough evidence to warrant it a serious option right now).

How much has anyone seen of Stephens playing DM? I'm ok with the idea of him 'stepping up' from a back three - VVD could do it too - because primarily he's a CB. However, I'm not sure we should be assuming he is good enough to do the job there instead of Clasie, Hojbjerg or JWP.

(I realise you are also asking the question rather than advocating it, I just don't think there is enough evidence to warrant it a serious option right now).

I agree on this- not sure on him as an out-and-out DM as I'm not sure how much time he has had there. More than fine with him as a back-three though, played in that system at Swindon during his loan spell there.

I wonder whether Wesley Sneijder will still be a free agent as the transfer window advances towards closure... Now that is a player (even at the age of 33) who I would not mind us paying some big wages for a year or two...

Don't think we're really a club that takes a great interest in having players on loan from other prem clubs. Was Bertrand the last one ? Seems that Everton have already offloaded a few players, I think that so far they've got more in than they've paid out and there's still Barkley to go. Perhaps not on salaries though, then again they have a new sponsor, no doubt a fix up by their owner, who's giving them far more than Chang.

Okay not from another Prem team, but Toby's loan didn't work out well in the end for us did it!! Mind you if he'd stayed, we wouldn't have bought VVD,

yet somehow you'd quite easily seeing us fighting off Liverpool amongst others for him in exactly the same way we are having with VVD now :-(

Okay not from another Prem team, but Toby's loan didn't work out well in the end for us did it!! Mind you if he'd stayed, we wouldn't have bought VVD,

yet somehow you'd quite easily seeing us fighting off Liverpool amongst others for him in exactly the same way we are having with VVD now :-(

I thought we already had an interest in VVD when Toby was here and the intention was to sign both of them? Certainly that's what i've been told by many people associated to the club.

Shame it never came off really because can you image how good our defence would've been if it had!

If Virgil stays, we don't need CB. DCM, yes for the right player at the right price, but not critical. ACM - we're overloaded already, so not unless someone leaves. We have Gabbiadini, Long, Austin and Gallagher, so don't expect CF.

I doubt we'll get more than one or two in, and very possibly none.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree with some of that but not all. DC agree but not DMC, that is critical and must-do; we were totally reliant on Romeu last term and even then he was covering a stupid amount of ground in games, hence the yellows for desperate last ditch fouls where our spine had collapsed. Stephens and Yoshida were left very exposed at times and even with VVD fit we still lacked proper screening. Fraser suffered from not having the depth of screening that Morgan/Victor and Oriol/Victor had given. I would agree that we can only sign AMC if we trim in that area but I believe we should. Agree totally on strikers - no point Gallagher signing a new deal and then not getting a try, Long and Gabbi should do better with a fresh system and regime. Fingers crossed Charlie is fit but is our best natural finisher. Can only see another striker if Charlie moves on if doesn't quite fit MP's system.

I thought we already had an interest in VVD when Toby was here and the intention was to sign both of them? Certainly that's what i've been told by many people associated to the club.

Shame it never came off really because can you image how good our defence would've been if it had!

Pretty sure that this is the case.

I'm led to believe that Koeman wanted to play Toby DM with VVD and Fonte as Cb's.. It would probably have evolved into 3 at the back, but my god, it would have been amazing to see!

How is he way out of our league? Surely he would jump at the chance at rekindling his career at a top 8 English premier league club. That's the type of calibre of player we should be looking at.

Moving to saints from PSG isn't rekindling your career, it's admitting you aren't good enough at the top level and dropping out of European competition altogether. Hardly anyone is going to do that willingly, especially not in the peak years of their career (Krychowiak is 27). I see Atletico Madrid are interested in him according to the latest speculation, and that seems a far more likely switch than dropping down to mid-table in the PL.

Southampton are now into 7/4 from 25/1 to sign Patrick Roberts from Manchester City.

https://twitter.com/Oddschanger/status/887997155411099648 :suspicious:

Another player who just had a very good season at Celtic.

It isn't suspicious :suspicious:, there was a story in The Sun linking us with him. Random members of the public read the story, placed bets on it and the bookmakers reduced the odds. None of that means there is any truth to it.

Since promotion back to the Premier League, we haven't loaned a youngster from a top club (Bertrand wasn't a youngster he was 24 and with a view to buy). There is little benefit loaning and developing a 20 year old winger like Roberts for another club when we have a very talented 20 year old winger of our own in Josh Sims.

It isn't suspicious :suspicious:, there was a story in The Sun linking us with him. Random members of the public read the story, placed bets on it and the bookmakers reduced the odds. None of that means there is any truth to it.

Since promotion back to the Premier League, we haven't loaned a youngster from a top club (Bertrand wasn't a youngster he was 24 and with a view to buy). There is little benefit loaning and developing a 20 year old winger like Roberts for another club when we have a very talented 20 year old winger of our own in Josh Sims.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?58425-R%FAben-Semedo

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

I'm puzzled as to what point you are trying to make!!! :rolleyes:

Buying a player and him being your own and making him better is completely different to my point about loaning another club's youngsters, developing them and not benefitting from developing them and having them block pathways. If you can't see the difference between the two then there really is no hope!

On the other hand... if your point is that I beleived the press about Semedo coming... then you missed that I said in the post... "seemingly on his way". You know what seemingly means don't you? :mcinnes: :rolleyes:

Egg on your face if a lie.

Sigurdsson is massively out of our league

Hilarious. As said, I can't see us landing him but the source is reliable. Nice if it's true but troll away if that makes you smile.

Hilarious. As said, I can't see us landing him but the source is reliable. Nice if it's true but troll away if that makes you smile.

If only it could mean that the buy out is going through and we're buying players of serious value. Can't quite see how we'd finance 40 odd million otherwise. Unless.....................

Yeah, right. I'm sure that if we sell VVD, which I still don't think we will, we'd certainly blow the proceeds on a totally different position rather than a replacement.

But you have to admit that if the player is visiting Staplewood we must have permission from Swansea to try to entice him here meaning that we've agreed a fee with them. Seeing that they supposedly turned down over 40 million from Everton that would be serious money for us. Don't see where we'd get it from otherwise.

But you have to admit that if the player is visiting Staplewood we must have permission from Swansea to try to entice him here meaning that we've agreed a fee with them. Seeing that they supposedly turned down over 40 million from Everton that would be serious money for us. Don't see where we'd get it from otherwise.

How about the huge TV deal we are part of? Plus deals aren't all paid at once, they are often spread over multiple years.

How about the huge TV deal we are part of? Plus deals aren't all paid at once, they are often spread over multiple years.

Do you really believe we will spend 40 million ponds on one player.

Something dramatic will have changed at the club for that to happen and it will. Of be TV deals

Do you really believe we will spend 40 million ponds on one player.

Something dramatic will have changed at the club for that to happen and it will. Of be TV deals

I'll still only believe it when he shows off the watch.

You're not allowed to call Glasgow a troll, he finds it very upsetting, I demand you apologise immediately....!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk