Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Jake Livermore could be an interesting option to partner Romeu in the base of a 4-2-3-1. His passing was a bit wayward at times but still pretty impressed with him last night.

JRod for Livermore + a bit of cash wouldn't be a bad deal imo.

He only joined WBA a few weeks ago for like £15m

Don't particularly rate him, he's just another midfielder in the same ilk as our others.

Jake Livermore could be an interesting option to partner Romeu in the base of a 4-2-3-1. His passing was a bit wayward at times but still pretty impressed with him last night.

JRod for Livermore + a bit of cash wouldn't be a bad deal imo.

Why would West Brom want to swap a player they have only just signed (and part with some cash in the process) for a player who has put in 1 or 2 performances in 3 years?

Also, how much do you value JRod at?? West Brom paid £10mil for Livermore 2 months ago IMO we will get c£9mil for him (and that's only because of the English premium).

The above statement just proves how little many on here know about football.

His best performance IMO was away at United earlier in the season after Romeu got injured, where he played as a defensive midfielder. Pep Guardiola also saw him as a defensive midfielder as well. I think he has potential there

I'm not convinced. But I have been known to be wrong before.

Danbert's link explains why the deal for Carcares is only short term. :(

Also this bizarre link : http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/20/report-southampton-could-be-offered-virgil-van-dijk-swap-deal-by/

Do like Ake, but not at the expense of Van Dijk.

VVD is going nowhere

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/02/27/southamptons-board-want-avoid-selling-key-players-efl-cup-final/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4340084/FA-given-lesson-using-England-icons-EFF.html

Bertrand's Gym Tonic

Elmbridge Borough Council, who turned down a planning application from Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, have been more supportive of Southampton's Ryan Bertrand.

He has received the go-ahead for a new gym complex at his £3million mansion in the footballing enclave of Cobham. Bertrand will have a steam room and seating area included in the single-storey extension to his Surrey home despite being linked with a move to Manchester City.

Interesting snippet of info

Hoj is a younger (poorer version ATM) of Davis neither are DMs both are best further forward carrying the ball and linking up play.

Neither are DMs, but Davis is not good enough as a CAM, and can't say yet about Hoj's potential. His (lack of) excellent touch/vision/shooting lead me to believe he is a CM, therefore, playing alongside Romeu I think would suit him more, as he can play box-to-box, rather than be relied upon attacking/defensively. He can link play. Perhaps one day he can be a CAM but at the moment I'd say he would be best as as a DM in our current system.

Neither are DMs, but Davis is not good enough as a CAM, and can't say yet about Hoj's potential. His (lack of) excellent touch/vision/shooting lead me to believe he is a CM, therefore, playing alongside Romeu I think would suit him more, as he can play box-to-box, rather than be relied upon attacking/defensively. He can link play. Perhaps one day he can be a CAM but at the moment I'd say he would be best as as a DM in our current system.

Both of them (and JWP and Clasie) are more like traditional CM which would be great if we played old school 4-4-2 but really with Tadic /Boufal playing in behind the striker we really need a couple more decent holding DMs to play 4-3-3 (or one of it's derivative's). We have a lot of midfielders who are all very samey at the moment none of who are really good enough to play DM or prolific in goals to play the 10 AM role.

Not sure why people keep using DM with Davis. In his 5 years at the club I can't think of a single game where Davis as played as a DM. He has been a CM, AM or out wide, never a DM.

A DM is someone who sits just in front of the defence, like Romeu did in the 4-3-3 we used under Puel.

- In the current 4-2-3-1, Davis is used as a CM, Tadic is an AM

- In the 4-3-3 under Puel earlier in the season, Davis was used as a CM alongside one of Clasie/Ward-Prowse/Hojbjerg and Romeu was the DM

Not sure why people keep using DM with Davis. In his 5 years at the club I can't think of a single game where Davis as played as a DM. He has been a CM, AM or out wide, never a DM.

A DM is someone who sits just in front of the defence, like Romeu did in the 4-3-3 we used under Puel.

- In the 4-3-3 under Puel earlier in the season, Davis was used as a CM alongside one of Clasie/Ward-Prowse/Hojbjerg and Romeu was the DM

It's because it excuses him for being largely ineffective.

Load of rubbish, when defending he is in line with Romeu, therefore playing DM. Whatever you want to call it he is completely ineffective both offensively and defensively when playing deeper.

VVD would excel at the centre of Chelsea's system. Can see why they'd do it. I think if we were to lose him, 40m + Ake would soften the blow. Then sign a decent partner for Ake. If they're still after Semedo then maybe him and Ake.

Guess Ake and VVD together for a season is too much to hope for? Seems a shame he's gone from doing well each week to being on Chelsea's bench but at the same time why would they disrupt a good defence.

Should have left him playing at Bournemouth with a recall opinion imo, Better for his development but what do I know !

Both of them (and JWP and Clasie) are more like traditional CM which would be great if we played old school 4-4-2 but really with Tadic /Boufal playing in behind the striker we really need a couple more decent holding DMs to play 4-3-3 (or one of it's derivative's). We have a lot of midfielders who are all very samey at the moment none of who are really good enough to play DM or prolific in goals to play the 10 AM role.

Here is a picture:

Liverpool-4-3-3-vs.-Stoke.png

This is a 4-3-3. There is no one playing behind the striker.

You can draw it with Firmino dropping deep with Lallana and Coutinho narrow and call it a diamond or you can draw Lucas in the back line, push Touré and Lovren wider covering the space left by Clyne and Moreno as they push forward and call it a 3-4-3. In practice it is all the same, regardless of how it is drawn on paper, as these movements all happen in the different phases of play during the match.

4-2-3-1 is not the same, it is just a 4-4-2 with one of the 2 described as a no. 10, even though Tadic is often in a more advanced position than Gabbiadini. Our samey midfielders are all more comfortable in the Can/Allen role.

Here is a picture:

Liverpool-4-3-3-vs.-Stoke.png

This is a 4-3-3. There is no one playing behind the striker.

You can draw it with Firmino dropping deep with Lallana and Coutinho narrow and call it a diamond or you can draw Lucas in the back line, push Touré and Lovren wider covering the space left by Clyne and Moreno as they push forward and call it a 3-4-3. In practice it is all the same, regardless of how it is drawn on paper, as these movements all happen in the different phases of play during the match.

4-2-3-1 is not the same, it is just a 4-4-2 with one of the 2 described as a no. 10, even though Tadic is often in a more advanced position than Gabbiadini. Our samey midfielders are all more comfortable in the Can/Allen role.

Correct! and I think this is part of the reason Puel persisted with the 4-3-3 for so long this year; we don't really have a second midfielder suited to playing alongside Romeu in a 4-2-3-1.

Load of rubbish, when defending he is in line with Romeu, therefore playing DM. Whatever you want to call it he is completely ineffective both offensively and defensively when playing deeper.

This

You two didn't read/understand what I said.

In a 4-2-3-1 the "2" (Romeu and Davis) aren't DMs, they are CMs.

In Puel's 4-3-3 one of the midfield 3 (Romeu) is a DM and the other two of the three are CMs.

4-3-3.jpg

What I said stands, Steven Davis has never played as a DM for Saints. He has been a CM, AM and wide player. Never has he been used as the sitter (DM).

In Puel's 4-3-3 one of the midfield 3 (Romeu) is a DM and the other two of the three are CMs.

4-3-3.jpg

What I said stands, Steven Davis has never played as a DM for Saints. He has been a CM, AM and wide player. Never has he been used as the sitter (DM).

And you clearly don't know what a DM is. If I were you I would give up now, before you dig yourself deeper. He has also played as the DM alone, a few times when he has had to cover for injuries (substitutions) in the past.

4-3-3.jpg

In the 4-2-3-1 we've been playing since Gabbiadini arrived Davis has been playing in the 2, and therefore a DM. Romeu plays the 'Anchor' role, but Davis is still a Defensive Midfielder. Without the ball Tadic effectively drops into the CM role.

4-3-3.jpg

No wonder Football Manager is so crap.

Who is this Tella lad we've signed from Arsenal?

Right winger released by Arsenal.

Had trials at Norwich, Reading and us after arsenal announced they were releasing him

Not loads about him as he only ever played for arsenal u18s

Supposedly quite a promising youngster, was at arsenal 10 years. Recently had an injury but can't find much else on him.

Right winger released by Arsenal.

Had trials at Norwich, Reading and us after arsenal announced they were releasing him

Not loads about him as he only ever played for arsenal u18s

Supposedly quite a promising youngster, was at arsenal 10 years. Recently had an injury but can't find much else on him.

Sell him back to them for an obscene amount of money once he has been through our system and becomes a very good player.

Would be disappointed if we didn't go for one of Keane/Maguire.

Maguire is a possibility although he's had some ropey games and that one great game vs Chelsea which raised his profile

No chance on Keane sadly.... he is top 7 bound. Everton possibly

Maguire is a possibility although he's had some ropey games and that one great game vs Chelsea which raised his profile

No chance on Keane sadly.... he is top 7 bound. Everton possibly

I think the only difference between Everton and us is pay, and probably manager (they'll finish top 7 this year we have been last 2). So you're probably right, he'll go to them. Although we have the old 'come to us go to a top 4 team in 2/3 years' trick up our sleeve, so if he wants more than money, we may be onto a winner.

I think the only difference between Everton and us is pay, and probably manager (they'll finish top 7 this year we have been last 2). So you're probably right, he'll go to them. Although we have the old 'come to us go to a top 4 team in 2/3 years' trick up our sleeve, so if he wants more than money, we may be onto a winner.

He'll go to a top 6 team, this is just Glasgow's latest thing to get attention. Everton are in a different League to Saints and we're all competing for 8th now.... apparently.

4-3-3.jpg

You are wrong and no amount of pictures will change that. Davies has been playing as the other 2 in a 4231 with Romeu for a little while now and he has most definitely been sitting back with Romeu as a double pivot DM. Double pivot meaning he has the license to get forward to link up just like Schniederlin used to do next to Wanyama. He's still being utilised as a DM and he's still not suited to it.

Everton linked with Trippier for £12m.

I wonder if Poch will be interested in reigniting Rodriguez career, and if we could use that in some sort of exchange involving Trippier.

Although I think he's overpriced at £12m given he's really only been a squad player at spurs.

Bertrand been linked with a move back to Chelsea in last couple of days. Shaw can't get on the bench at united and Mourinho really doesn't rate him (http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-uniteds-luke-shaw-looks-10145934) - Would it be a realistic possibility for us to resign him?

No, not a ****ing chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bertrand is off to city. New keeper needed aswell

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hopefully this came from the same source who said Gabbi is fit for tonight, when Puel clearly stated he wasn't.

Hopefully this came from the same source who said Gabbi is fit for tonight, when Puel clearly stated he wasn't.

Gabbiadini is not 100% but could of played, They decided with the run of fixtures coming up not to risk him. Expect him back at the weekend

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bertrand is off to city.

Wouldn't surprise me. He been an outstanding signing for us and he's played 3 seasons for us (which is an eternity for us, these days).

New keeper needed aswell

Presume a new goalkeeper coach as well in that case?