Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Indeed. Ultimately there is a reason Yoshida has been at Saints five seasons and never been a first choice aside from when there have been injuries (or a cluster**** in the transfer market as happened re Fonte replacement).

Gradual weakening of our first XI for 18 months or so now.

Fonte ,Lovern, Toby and VVD....pretty hard for many defenders to oust any of them from the line up when they were at their peak.

Indeed. Ultimately there is a reason Yoshida has been at Saints five seasons and never been a first choice aside from when there have been injuries (or a cluster**** in the transfer market as happened re Fonte replacement).

Gradual weakening of our first XI for 18 months or so now.

Agreed, don't know why people feel we have to settle for him, just because he's done "ok".

Agreed, don't know why people feel we have to settle for him, just because he's done "ok".

I'm all for strengthening the first XI and getting someone else to start alongside VVD but I maintain that Maya is a very capable deputy and backup when called upon and I think a lot of others feel the same. I think people are taking umbrage more at the fact that some people are treating him as dead weight and would rather see him out of the club completely when he's done nothing but give his all for us and has shown to be able to do a job at this level (as noted earlier has played in over half our league games the past 3 seasons where we have finished top 8 each time).

I'd also play him over Stephens pretty much every time at the moment - the lad did well when thrown in the deep end last season but is nowhere near the finished article in my opinion yet. Obviously needs game time to improve though so need to find him game time somewhere but as a regular starter? Not for me.

Interestingly there's only been 5 players that are still here from our first season back in the Prem - Davis, JWP, Gazzanigga, Yoshida and Stephens. I'm wondering if them both being here together for that long helped when they were both needed as first choice centre backs last year?

Fonte ,Lovern, Toby and VVD....pretty hard for many defenders to oust any of them from the line up when they were at their peak.

But that's the standard of CB we should be looking at, rather than being sentimental.

As much as I like Yoshida as a decent PL CB and a seemingly excellent professional, sadly he's not good enough to be first choice for a club aiming for top eight.

Considering how heavily we were linked with Ruben Semedo it's not hard to think Saints feel the same way.

But that's the standard of CB we should be looking at, rather than being sentimental.

As much as I like Yoshida as a decent PL CB and a seemingly excellent professional, sadly he's not good enough to be first choice for a club aiming for top eight.

Considering how heavily we were linked with Ruben Semedo it's not hard to think Saints feel the same way.

Semedo isn't a CB. And all the players you mention developed at Saints to be that standard. They weren't the finished product when we bought them.

And Stephens could well develop to be that good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Semedo isn't a CB. And all the players you mention developed at Saints to be that standard. They weren't the finished product when we bought them.

And Stephens could well develop to be that good.

Huh? Lovren and Toby were both full internationals who cost their previous clubs 9.5m and 7m euros back when that was proper money for a CB. To suggest we 'made' either of them is typical PL myopia.

Huh? Lovren and Toby were both full internationals who cost their previous clubs 9.5m and 7m euros back when that was proper money for a CB. To suggest we 'made' either of them is typical PL myopia.

Did we or did we not improve them and sell for a profit?

Did we or did we not improve them and sell for a profit?

Well, both played successfully in the Premier League under us, which automatically increased their value when other PL clubs came looking (whether it's important or not, there's a definite premium for 'PL-proven' players).

Toby in particular was immense from the moment he joined us, so no, I honestly don't believe we made him even the slightest bit better.

Lovren is clearly a confidence player - Lyon undermined his confidence, we gave it back to him, and he started playing again like a guy who'd cost nearly 10m back in 2010.

Simon Johnson‏ @sjstandardsport: I've been told that Izzy Brown won't be sold by #cfc & is going to join Brighton on loan.#cfc will also hand him a new contract this summer

Simon Johnson‏ @sjstandardsport: As per @johncrossmirror,been told Chalobah could now join #watfordfc.wrote last week he wanted assurances from #Cfc

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-transfer-news-nathaniel-chalobah-talks-future-contract-tiemoue-bakayoko-a3575036.html

Well, both played successfully in the Premier League under us, which automatically increased their value when other PL clubs came looking (whether it's important or not, there's a definite premium for 'PL-proven' players).

Toby in particular was immense from the moment he joined us, so no, I honestly don't believe we made him even the slightest bit better.

Lovren is clearly a confidence player - Lyon undermined his confidence, we gave it back to him, and he started playing again like a guy who'd cost nearly 10m back in 2010.

We gave them prem experience which improved them.

It enhanced their CVs, but whether it actually made them better players is a separate question.

They will have improved else why would they have gone on to bigger clubs. The experience by default makes you a better player (or not). The improvements may be small but they are still improvements

He's played in over 20 league matches each season for the past 3 seasons where we finished 7th, 6th and 8th. That sounds exactly like top 10 premier league standard to me. That's not to say there aren't better defenders out there or that he should be starting every game but as someone that's been called on a lot to step up when others have left or been injured I think he's done a sterling job and we could do a hell of a lot worse.

This.

Amongst all the overpriced deals being done, there is still the odd bargain which can be found. £5 million for Chalobah would definitely fall into that bargain category.

Amongst all the overpriced deals being done' date=' there is still the odd bargain which can be found. £5 million for Chalobah would definitely fall into that bargain category.[/quote']

You'd think with all our U21 players if we wanted him he would come to us. Good partner for Romeu, worth a punt for £5m

Amongst all the overpriced deals being done' date=' there is still the odd bargain which can be found. £5 million for Chalobah would definitely fall into that bargain category.[/quote']

looks a very saints type of deal would have thought it would be the perfect fit for player and club.

You'd think with all our U21 players if we wanted him he would come to us. Good partner for Romeu, worth a punt for £5m

[+1] 3 times!

Stephens has definitely proved himself to be capable and is the more natural right footed player at CB. Alongside VVD he will learn and get better still, his value will increase and therefore will attract more potential revenue to the club. Nothing against Maya, but a home grown English CB is a rare commodity would surely be the first choice?

Stephens has definitely proved himself to be capable and is the more natural right footed player at CB. Alongside VVD he will learn and get better still, his value will increase and therefore will attract more potential revenue to the club. Nothing against Maya, but a home grown English CB is a rare commodity would surely be the first choice?

I'd be surprised if he wasn't. Improved with every game last season and we've given him a pretty decent contract by all accounts. I'd be surprised if Les didn't anticipate him being first choice with VVD

If that's really the asking price, we'd be remiss not to take a punt, surely.

We've just shipped out a defensive midfielder, and Clasie is being linked with a move away (rightly, in my opinion, as he's not physically up to it) - it's a position we're going to need reinforcements in.

Romeu can't do it all on his own.

Even as a cynical investment, Chalobah makes sense. Gareth Southgate has talked him up as someone he'd like to pick for England if he were playing more often. Whoever signs him for £5m or so could turn a huge profit in a couple of years on a young England international.

Regardless, I don't ever want to see Steven Davis attempting and failing to partner Romeu again. We have to be able to do better than that.

If that's really the asking price, we'd be remiss not to take a punt, surely.

We've just shipped out a defensive midfielder, and Clasie is being linked with a move away (rightly, in my opinion, as he's not physically up to it) - it's a position we're going to need reinforcements in.

Romeu can't do it all on his own.

Even as a cynical investment, Chalobah makes sense. Gareth Southgate has talked him up as someone he'd like to pick for England if he were playing more often. Whoever signs him for £5m or so could turn a huge profit in a couple of years on a young England international.

Regardless, I don't ever want to see Steven Davis attempting and failing to partner Romeu again. We have to be able to do better than that.

Sound logic and I'd be on board with the purchase. However, how much of him have people actually seen? Most of his games seem to have come at Championship level. He might look good at Under 21, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good yardstick. Ward-Prowse and Redmond are two of the best players (if the not THE best?) in that side and neither are exactly first names on the teamsheet for us.

This is more of question than a critique, as I haven't seen much of Chalobah to form an opinion.

According to one of the papers Arsenal would listen to offers for Walcott (surprise surprise West Ham are interested). Should we throw in a bid? His missus is from the area and he might want to settle down here with his family.

Simon Johnson‏ @sjstandardsport: I've been told that Izzy Brown won't be sold by #cfc & is going to join Brighton on loan.#cfc will also hand him a new contract this summer

he was the one decent player Vitesse had when they played us. He looked very strong and confident on the ball. At that point I didn't think he would anything to our side, but that was a couple of season ago now and if he has progressed since then he will be a decent acquisition.

According to one of the papers Arsenal would listen to offers for Walcott (surprise surprise West Ham are interested). Should we throw in a bid? His missus is from the area and he might want to settle down here with his family.

For 15m he would be worth having. Would rather the Ox albeit a little closer to 20m perhaps, but would have to push boat out to around 80k weekly minimum for either

I'm all for strengthening the first XI and getting someone else to start alongside VVD but I maintain that Maya is a very capable deputy and backup when called upon and I think a lot of others feel the same. I think people are taking umbrage more at the fact that some people are treating him as dead weight and would rather see him out of the club completely when he's done nothing but give his all for us and has shown to be able to do a job at this level (as noted earlier has played in over half our league games the past 3 seasons where we have finished top 8 each time).

I'd also play him over Stephens pretty much every time at the moment - the lad did well when thrown in the deep end last season but is nowhere near the finished article in my opinion yet. Obviously needs game time to improve though so need to find him game time somewhere but as a regular starter? Not for me.

Interestingly there's only been 5 players that are still here from our first season back in the Prem - Davis, JWP, Gazzanigga, Yoshida and Stephens. I'm wondering if them both being here together for that long helped when they were both needed as first choice centre backs last year?

One of our weak points last year appeared to be set pieces where our centre backs appeared to be left wanting at times. However that may have been due to lack or organisation rather than marking or personel especially.

There were issues with in play defending at times but with Romeu having so much to do in our system he was left to virtually defend on his own in some games leaving the two centre backs exposed because he couldn't do it all.

I am sure we would have been more suited to 352 or certainly a three at the back as Koeman used successfully but Puel continued with wing backs virtually leaving two at the back and succeeded in somehow being outnumbered in midfield too!

Hopefully as long as messrs Hunter and Black are kept away from organisation our centre backs will thrive this year...