Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I really dont understand you guys sometimes ......how many of you watched the Brentford game in full ? Firstly its a pre season the result to an extent is irrelevant.

Jack Stephens for me was the stand out player on the pitch , his performance was VVD like calm and assured , he also distributed the ball faultlessly for the half he was on .

He is now and will be much better than Yoshida by miles , and dont forget the club rate Alfie Jones potential higher than Jacks .

Sell VVD dont care anymore ........buy a DM a good one to sit alongside OR (who was superb yesterday when he was on ) and we are sorted .

Jack Stephens will the first pick CB this season alongside who dunno

Would be great to see Stephens establish himself as a first teamer, I mean is he any worse than Gibson or Maguire? I don't think so and one of those has gone for £20 million and they are talking about the same amount for Gibson.

We have some quality young players at the club, who knows what they can achieve given the chance? Spurs seem pretty content not to make massive transfers this summer and seem to be looking to their young players (probably stung by the £30 odd million they paid for Sissoko)

We finished 8th last year, spending most of the season with Yoshida and Stephens at the back, who were nothing but very solid, it was actually our goalscoring that mainly let us down.

A new keeper is a must if McCarthy is injured again. We can't go into the new season with FF having no genuine competition for his place.

So we need 5 or 6 keepers to make sure that one is good enough is that it ? We have FF, Taylor, McCarthy, Gazza and no doubt some Unders keepers. If none of them is good ernough we need to ship them all out and start over don't we. Anyway FF is number 1 and will no doubt remain so, the rest are just a drag on the finances.

So we need 5 or 6 keepers to make sure that one is good enough is that it ? We have FF, Taylor, McCarthy, Gazza and no doubt some Unders keepers. If none of them is good ernough we need to ship them all out and start over don't we. Anyway FF is number 1 and will no doubt remain so, the rest are just a drag on the finances.

All depends if McCarthy's injury is long term. If it is another long term one, then we absolutely need another. Gazza isn't up to it and Taylor hasn't played a game for about 15 years.

All depends if McCarthy's injury is long term. If it is another long term one, then we absolutely need another. Gazza isn't up to it and Taylor hasn't played a game for about 15 years.

So why exactly are they still here then, you have to keep repeating this question until you find an answer. Keeping dead wood is so Saints that it's not true.

If our back 4 looks anything like it did Saturday come the start of the season, we are in big trouble IMO.

Still yet to see anything of this polish lad to suggest he's PL quality (given i've only seen him in 3 games and I'm willing to give him time to adapt but only as cover for the moment).

Yoshida stepped up when needed last year was fantastic but still has a mistake in him. I would not be confident of having him as first choice CB.

Stephens is a young lad, he will get better with game time and as it currently stands deserves a place in the starting 11. However, he is only a young lad and I don't think he's good enough (yet) to lead the line for a club that wants to push top 7.

If VVD goes we need 2 CB's IMO, if he doesn't then we should get his replacement in this summer, ready to lead the line once VVD is sold next year.

Add to that we will need a LB should Bertrand leave and I still feel we are weak at DCM and out wide (a genuine Mane type player). A number 10 would be nice and I think we've needed one for years, but I think we could get by without one for this season.

It's worrying that we are a couple of weeks away from the start of the season and our squad is average, at best. A lot of work needed if you ask me.

If our back 4 looks anything like it did Saturday come the start of the season, we are in big trouble IMO.

Still yet to see anything of this polish lad to suggest he's PL quality (given i've only seen him in 3 games and I'm willing to give him time to adapt but only as cover for the moment).

Yoshida stepped up when needed last year was fantastic but still has a mistake in him. I would not be confident of having him as first choice CB.

Stephens is a young lad, he will get better with game time and as it currently stands deserves a place in the starting 11. However, he is only a young lad and I don't think he's good enough (yet) to lead the line for a club that wants to push top 7.

If VVD goes we need 2 CB's IMO, if he doesn't then we should get his replacement in this summer, ready to lead the line once VVD is sold next year.

Add to that we will need a LB should Bertrand leave and I still feel we are weak at DCM and out wide (a genuine Mane type player). A number 10 would be nice and I think we've needed one for years, but I think we could get by without one for this season.

It's worrying that we are a couple of weeks away from the start of the season and our squad is average, at best. A lot of work needed if you ask me.

Behave. Our back 4 will clearly be Cedric, Stephens, VVD, Bertrand. All things being equal. Happy to see Step[hens continue to build on his progress last season.

You said he was off, has that changed now that CP has gone or does he still "want" out?

You said he was off, has that changed now that CP has gone or does he still "want" out?

I've not been made aware of any change (other than that generally the squad are happier with MP), but obviously he can only go if an offer comes in for him... As of yet one hasn't. That being said, I don't think he's the sort of person to go on strike, like VVD and he will only leave for a CL club.

I'd say there is less chance of him leaving now Puel as gone (similar to a few others....), but I'm still expecting him to leave, lets hope I'm wrong. In my personal opinion, I still think he'll go to Chelsea.

Behave. Our back 4 will clearly be Cedric, Stephens, VVD, Bertrand. All things being equal. Happy to see Step[hens continue to build on his progress last season.

It's not "clearly" though, is it.

There is still a large amount of speculation that both VVD and Bertrand will leave and I'd be amazed if Cedric is 100% match fit come the start of the season, given he's still on holiday.

It's not "clearly" though, is it.

There is still a large amount of speculation that both VVD and Bertrand will leave and I'd be amazed if Cedric is 100% match fit come the start of the season, given he's still on holiday.

Yes speculation is all it is.... and very little regarding Bertrand...

For the first couple of games it will almost certainly be:

Pied, Yoshida, Stephens, Bertrand (which is pretty meh)

Seen nothing from Pied to suggest he is much better than Martina. Woeful defensively so far.

Agreed.

As things stand, top half would be a good achievement.

Seen nothing from Pied to suggest he is much better than Martina. Woeful defensively so far.

Woeful? Don't be a plum. The blokes hardly played, but when he has he's looked better than Martina. You're just moaning for the sake of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woeful? Don't be a plum. The blokes hardly played, but when he has he's looked better than Martina. You're just moaning for the sake of it.

Don't be so sure, I've seen a lot of Jeremy Pied and I'd not rate him a great deal higher than Martina. He was a CP stopgap whim signing, if he'd been in any way desirable as a player Nice would have kept him.

Don't be so sure, I've seen a lot of Jeremy Pied and I'd not rate him a great deal higher than Martina. He was a CP stopgap whim signing, if he'd been in any way desirable as a player Nice would have kept him.

How? He was out of contract.

Ditto

Came on as a sub first game (?), then had a bit of a spin out last game and that was it from recall........................ Yup nailed on steaming pile of French Rose fertiliser............ Bring back the Guillotine!!!

£6m bid. Wow, really pushing the boat out

He's a promising young player that we can develop and increase the value of. It's what we do.

The reason the bid is for £6m is because he has a year left on his contract.

From what I've seen he is very much in the Mane mould so he could be worth five or six times that fee in a couple of years.

Edited by beavis17

He's a promising young player that we can develop and increase the value of. It's what we do.

The reason the bid is for £6m is because he has a year left on his contract.

From what I've seen he is very much in the Mane mould so he could be worth five or six times that fee in a couple of years.

tell how the increase in value actually helps you, a decrease in your S?T price, a share of the profits or just some reflected glory telling fans of Leicester etc that we brought those players through that now are winning things at other clubs?

I'm just a bit nervous about the big gaps in our playing personnel for next season, that's all. And amazed that every season we leave it to the last minute rather than bedding in players into the team. I reckon we need a new keeper, CB, DM, and attacking midfielder. Basically a spine. Unless Mauricio really is a miracle worker

Lets bid more for a player who is probably worth 6m anyway then shall we? At least the fans will be happy
that's not what DT was saying, it was a fact that we seem to aim low. It is hard to keep watchingus dvelop players for other clubs to get the benefit.

Not yet returned after prolonged international duty, Confederations Cup.

Was expecting him to have been back today, given that he tweeted last week that his holiday was over. I guess though that as his last game in Russia was 2 July and JWP/Redmond's last game was 27 June end of this week is probably more likely. Its a real drag these delayed player returns after summer internationals, really messes up pre-season. In future it will apply to the Africans as well, though I guess thats better than the current January/February window.

SM Caen threaten clubs with sanctions for tapping up Yann Karamoh

SM Caen released an official statement last weekend condemning clubs for approaching teenage attacking prospect Yann Karamoh.

Fiorentina are understood to have made a bid for the player that is far inferior to the €10m that Caen are demanding, with Southampton and St Étienne.

Caen’s statement read as follows:

“The moves currently being made relating to our player are strictly illegal and sanctionable by FIFA regulations relating to the transfer of players (article 18)… We will take the necessary measures against anyone who goes against these regulations.”

Let's hope that is not us.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2017/sm-caen-threaten-clubs-with-sanctions-for-tapping-up-yann-karamoh/

I'm just a bit nervous about the big gaps in our playing personnel for next season, that's all. And amazed that every season we leave it to the last minute rather than bedding in players into the team. I reckon we need a new keeper, CB, DM, and attacking midfielder. Basically a spine. Unless Mauricio really is a miracle worker
I think thats how most fans would agree with you. We have a pretty **** poor squad in terms of quality. Probably get a ok team out but really the positions you mentioned are a must if we are to have a good season. CB , DM AND ATTACKING MIDFIELDER WE MUST GET

tell how the increase in value actually helps you, a decrease in your S?T price, a share of the profits or just some reflected glory telling fans of Leicester etc that we brought those players through that now are winning things at other clubs?

What would be your strategy then?