Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Surely a new manager would want to look at the squad in depth before deciding where we need to spend some money. Some of you lot are worse than my old lady, spend, spend, spend, for the sake of it. Show a bit of patience ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd know before signing

Get Dembele in for £20m. Continue keeping it tight and risk getting left behind by more and more clubs. West Ham have got Hernandez now..

Hernandez was probably on a completely over the top wage to begin with, let alone what he must have asked for to rock up at West Ham. Im not saying that their transfer policy is poor, they have bought in the areas they are weak, just seems a bit pay top wages for some average players.

Dembele is a talent, but he isnt going to want to pitch up at a side not in a European competition unless its at a premium.

All that being said, striker is the last position we need to strengthen, so can we stop talking about Defoe, Dembele, bony, vardy, koller, bierhoff or any other striker thats ever kicked a ball until we plug the obvious gaps at CM(DM) and AM

I thought we knew our targets so far in advance that we could have them all integrated before the start of the season. Frustrating that every season we seem to have the need to rip up all that work and have to start over again. Either players forcing a move, managers leaving or being sacked. Cannot get excited about the premier league anymore, it's not a level playing field. Cannot compete with the Top 6 and you can add Everton also. The only way we could compete if there is a massive financial crisis, premier league tv money disappears almost over night then we would be in a great position. Hope Spurs win the league this year, they are the only team which live within their means.

I thought we knew our targets so far in advance that we could have them all integrated before the start of the season. Frustrating that every season we seem to have the need to rip up all that work and have to start over again. Either players forcing a move, managers leaving or being sacked. Cannot get excited about the premier league anymore, it's not a level playing field. Cannot compete with the Top 6 and you can add Everton also. The only way we could compete if there is a massive financial crisis, premier league tv money disappears almost over night then we would be in a great position. Hope Spurs win the league this year, they are the only team which live within their means.

:lol::lol::lol:

We know our targets in advance so that we don't turn into West Ham scrambling for anything that moves. And we generally buy late because the players we target will often be waiting to see if any clubs higher up the food chain come in for them.

Agree on football not being a level playing field, it's less a competitive sport and more and more a circus freakshow, but then you ruin it by blaming the tv money which is actually the only thing that is keeping this league even remotely competitive by spreading a load of money more or less evenly which by law of diminishing returns disproportionately benefits clubs like us. It's the big clubs' huge commercial sponsorship deals that ruin everything.

I agree that Spurs are a well-run side when compared to the other Top Sixers but steady on...I'd rather set fire to my toenails than watch Spurs win the PL.

Surely a new manager would want to look at the squad in depth before deciding where we need to spend some money. Some of you lot are worse than my old lady, spend, spend, spend, for the sake of it. Show a bit of patience ffs.

I suppose watching videos of saints last season is too out there.

Not usually one to **** the bed, but our lack of activity is a bit worrying this season.

Bednarek signing stuck me as odd from the outset given our current options in this area are what I would consider good backup. Additional back up is not what we need, we need players to improve the 1st 11.

The spine is a worry and the VVD situation is a mess. Even if a miricle happens and he stays, doubtful he will be fit for the start of the season.

Without sales we need a quality CB, CM, AM at minimum.

CB: Still waiting for Fonte's replacement Les.....

CM: Not convinced by the regressing Steven Davis as a starter anymore alongside Romeu, who should be captain in my eyes. Need someone dynamic with pace and strength.

AM: People bang on about Sigurdsson in that AM role but that's because he is exactly what we lack.

Even the best teams are being quite ruthless in this window with in's & out's and I worry we will regress further if we stand as still as we currently are.

Holy mother of god.....listening to some of the posters on here you'd think we've been flirting with relegation these last 4 years. Comments such as 'last few pre-seasons a disaster in terms of preparation' etc. are beyond ludicrous.

I'm sure we'll sign another 1 or 2 players before the end of the window. Do we need wholesale changes - no. Do we need extra in terms of quality - yes. Last season the team under performed badly in the main - we'll see this year if it was the manager or players at fault.

So many posters on here have spent way too long playing Football Manager I reckon - hopefully we will continue to punch above our weight but not sure how anyone is expecting us to keep up with the likes of City, etc with the totally obscene amounts of money floating around.

Holy mother of god.....listening to some of the posters on here you'd think we've been flirting with relegation these last 4 years. Comments such as 'last few pre-seasons a disaster in terms of preparation' etc. are beyond ludicrous.

I'm sure we'll sign another 1 or 2 players before the end of the window. Do we need wholesale changes - no. Do we need extra in terms of quality - yes. Last season the team under performed badly in the main - we'll see this year if it was the manager or players at fault.

So many posters on here have spent way too long playing Football Manager I reckon - hopefully we will continue to punch above our weight but not sure how anyone is expecting us to keep up with the likes of City, etc with the totally obscene amounts of money floating around.

One of the things that was clear last season in addition to Puel's shortcomings was the lack of quality in the squad - especially in midfield (both defensive and attacking), centre-back and dare I say it, GK. If that's not addressed soon I think it will become obvious that Puel wasn't the only problem.

Our lack of activity is worrying tbf and whilst we sit around marking time, other teams around us are spending a lot of money on some fairly decent players. We had glaring weaknesses from last season that need addressing.

Our lack of activity is worrying tbf and whilst we sit around marking time, other teams around us are spending a lot of money on some fairly decent players. We had glaring weaknesses from last season that need addressing.

What were they? They've just given Forster a new contract so they won't be replacing him clearly. Assuming we don't sell VVD or Bertrand we look pretty well set at the back with Stephens emerging as a real talent and Yoshida improving last year as well. Gabbi, Austin, Gallagher and Long is a good selection of strikers. The club will obviously be expecting a lot more from Boufal and Hojbjerg this season, and they should expect more with the talent they showed at times last season, as well as the fees spent on them.

We could sell Clasie and replace him (I think I would personally) and maybe one more attacking player although that depends on where MP wants to play Boufal and Gabbiadini.

There really isn't much to do, we struggled last season with a poor manager and we have no Europa league either this year

:scared: Wash your mouth out son!

:scared: Wash your mouth out son!

Have to agree with him, Spurs are basically the top 6 version of us, investing in youth, using their academy and spending within their means. It would be good for the Premier League IMO if the likes of Utd, City and Chelsea failed

Hope Spurs win the league this year, they are the only team which live within their means.

Live with in their means, like us you mean?

Spurs havent actually signed anyone yet either!

I think its just this window, rafa, conte, klopp, mourhino all publically talked about how mental it is and how hard it is to get players in. Id rather us sign 2 quality players on the last day of the window than sign players just for the sake of it early on.

I agree with Les Reed, seems almost fashionable to get involved in the transfer window just for the sake of it,

Will judge it come September 1st.

Agree with others it seems slightly worrying though. There aren't even any decent rumours it seems. Still could do with a top CM alongside Romeu and arguably a no 10 and another wide man. Perhaps Pellegrino sees Clasie / JWP / Davis good enough in those positions?

Bednarek does seem an odd one when we already had Stephens / Yoshida to be "backups". Just seems to be squad filler to me - another Gardos.

Agree with others it seems slightly worrying though. There aren't even any decent rumours it seems. Still could do with a top CM alongside Romeu and arguably a no 10 and another wide man. Perhaps Pellegrino sees Clasie / JWP / Davis good enough in those positions?

Bednarek does seem an odd one when we already had Stephens / Yoshida to be "backups". Just seems to be squad filler to me - another Gardos.

Can only judge the window after it has closed and some way to go yet.

We buy for the second season performance by finding players with potential and developing that potential. Mane, waynama and so on. Hope that is true for Boufal and Holberg.

I think Stuart Armstrong will happen - he's been consistently linked over a period of time and we always seem to let Celtic sort out their CL qualification before doing business. Might see some movement on that one at back end of next week.

Then I'd still like to see two more in - a DCM and a CB - assuming no key players leave. We still have plenty of time, but as you say very quiet on the rumour front.

I think we'll see some movement in and out of the squad before the transfer window closes - whether Van Dijjk, Cedric or Bertrand go or not. But I think it will be more a case of one in and one out rather than real additions - and maybe the odd trimming of the squad as well.

I fully expect Gardos to go out on loan for his final season - either back to Roumania or the lower end of the Championship - and it looks to me like Bednarek was bought as his replacement.

There are rumours that Reading want Long - and I wouldn't be too sad or surprised to see him go either (as long as he takes that bl**dy song with him) and I think we will look to replace him with someone like Karamoh or Roberts.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tadic go to Inter to replace Perisic if he gets his move to Man Utd - and I have a feeling Boufal was bought as his replacement last summer.

Clasie is another one I expect to move on - Lazio are supposedly interested.

Maybe we will add the ACM we need having shown interest in Armstrong at Celtic - but I think he will just replace someone in the squad even if its not a direct replacement.

Would be great to see Stephens establish himself as a first teamer, I mean is he any worse than Gibson or Maguire? I don't think so and one of those has gone for £20 million and they are talking about the same amount for Gibson.

We have some quality young players at the club, who knows what they can achieve given the chance? Spurs seem pretty content not to make massive transfers this summer and seem to be looking to their young players (probably stung by the £30 odd million they paid for Sissoko)

We finished 8th last year, spending most of the season with Yoshida and Stephens at the back, who were nothing but very solid, it was actually our goalscoring that mainly let us down.

He's not as good as Maguire. Cracking player.

If they are prepared to accept sensible wages there could be some rich pickings here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chinese-super-league-crisis-13-10865718

And that's why there should have been serious governance when they were spending stupid money and wages on the likes of Tevez, Hulk etc.. It was never going to last. Novelty seems to have worn off now.