Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

My opinion is, why would we have made him captain if he was going in a few months time? It wouldn't make any sense.

Club can't really win, here. He was the obvious choice for captain once Fonte left; if VVD was overlooked, everyone would say 'that's him off in the summer then'.

If he split time with chambers then he's not really number one is he.

I doubt we'd have sold Chambers if we didn't have Clyne. If we just sold players when they wanted to go, why not Morgan that season? There is always a line drawn. Morgan that summer, big vic the following one. Just can't see all 3 going at once. 2 yes, not all 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club can't really win, here. He was the obvious choice for captain once Fonte left; if VVD was overlooked, everyone would say 'that's him off in the summer then'.

Was decided long before Fonte left. He actually wasn' t the obvious choice which is why Davis is now the Club captain.

Forster Will probably go as arsenal want him, VvD will hopefully stay, he his very happy here and so is his fiance, she has told him she's not moving so the only place he would go is Chelsea and commute so let's hope they don't come knocking. Bertrand isn't forcing the club for a move like Fonte and lallana Did so it depends on how well we are covered and how much we are offered, I think he'll stay. JRod will leave, probably to a northern promoted club.

Forster Will probably go as arsenal want him, VvD will hopefully stay, he his very happy here and so is his fiance, she has told him she's not moving so the only place he would go is Chelsea and commute so let's hope they don't come knocking. Bertrand isn't forcing the club for a move like Fonte and lallana Did so it depends on how well we are covered and how much we are offered, I think he'll stay. JRod will leave, probably to a northern promoted club.

I'd happily swap Forster for Willshire! I hope Bertrand stays but McQueen has done well although we would need a more experienced LB with him as I don't think Targett will make it. Happy for JRod to go deserves to be playing regular somewhere and won't do here.

If we can sign a decent CB, a CM (Willshire), a striker and a keeper we will be in a good place.

Last thing we need is another small midfielder who doesn't score goals. We need more presence in there. Plus big egos based on very little won't help us. Rather play JWP than Wilshere. If Clasie and Hojbjerg improve them maybe we're alright there anyway. Some continuity would be nice for one summer. Hoping we only need 2/3 signings at the very most.

Would happily take Krychowiak off PSG or Amoudou from Lille to shore up our midfield and play alonside Romeu.

Last thing we need is another small midfielder who doesn't score goals. We need more presence in there. Plus big egos based on very little won't help us. Rather play JWP than Wilshere. If Clasie and Hojbjerg improve them maybe we're alright there anyway. Some continuity would be nice for one summer. Hoping we only need 2/3 signings at the very most.

I cant see any signs of continuity anyway if all the players mentioned on here all go.

I think this summer depends on the outs;

If no major outs then I think we will only see a CB and CM in, and even then it will only be if the player is 'right'.

If VVD stays I don't even think we will look for a starting CB as a Fonte replacement, as the club appear to think Yoshi is now good enough (which to be fair he is demonstrating). Stephens is also good enough for the regular CB sub spot. Maybe the club would opt for a promising up and coming CB instead.

If Swansea go down then Siggurdson all day everyday with Davis dropping to the bench for me. (i think Clasie would actually do well given a decent run in Davis place too).

Likely outs;

Rodriguez (any chance of a return to Burnley)

Martina (end of contract, probably back up player for Everton)

Taylor

Gazzaniga

Isgrove

Possible;

VVD

Bertrand

Tadic

Long

Gallagher

I think this summer depends on the outs;

If no major outs then I think we will only see a CB and CM in, and even then it will only be if the player is 'right'.

If VVD stays I don't even think we will look for a starting CB as a Fonte replacement, as the club appear to think Yoshi is now good enough (which to be fair he is demonstrating). Stephens is also good enough for the regular CB sub spot. Maybe the club would opt for a promising up and coming CB instead.

If Swansea go down then Siggurdson all day everyday with Davis dropping to the bench for me. (i think Clasie would actually do well given a decent run in Davis place too).

Likely outs;

Rodriguez (any chance of a return to Burnley)

Martina (end of contract, probably back up player for Everton)

Taylor

Gazzaniga

Isgrove

Possible;

VVD

Bertrand

Tadic

Long

Gallagher

If only that were true!

If Fraser is going to be going, and even if he is not, surely Pickford is within our reach? Only Everton above us should be looking for a new keeper, all the other top clubs are sorted in that area unless Pickford is going to be happy as a definite backup. I also get the feeling Everton think they're better than signing the relegated young goalkeeper from Sunderland and will want a 'name' like Hart (who i'd love here, obviously).

Also as mentioned above, if Swansea go down then all out to sign Sigurdsson pleeeeeeease.

*Edit: I rate Fraser, so i'd be fine if he stayed, but IF he goes, then..

Only Everton above us should be looking for a new keeper
Chelsea are after a number 2 and they don't tend to settle for average. Arsenal's number two has made noises about leaving, so they could be in the same boat. David de Gea will no doubt be linked with Real Madrid all summer...but go nowhere. I wonder if Pep will swallow his pride and accept Bravo was a poor signing. If he did I doubt he'd do it twice and accept Harte back into the fold.

we will lose

FF

Bertrand

(those two according to sources on here)

VvD

Rodriguez

Martina

Clasie

Gardos

Caraces will go, clearly

and reed will come out with some more guff about it all

How is getting rid of any of those players a bad thing? shouldn't be to difficult to upgrade any of them (we'd probably struggle to find teams who even want them) I'm not even fussed about losing Forster who (WBA aside) has been mostly gash all season.

VVD and Betrand would be a loss for any team but we've survived good players leaving before and the rest wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they left.

£10 million for a 17 year old that has only played 13 game?

What?, can't see us paying that. Plus how good can the guy be if he was in went from Uts to Stokes youth team then got released.

No young player should be going to Arsenal, just a waste of talent. They only have to look at Chambers and the Ox, on loan and sitting on the bench most weeks through the crucial development periods

we will lose

FF

Bertrand

(those two according to sources on here)

VvD

Rodriguez

Martina

Clasie

Gardos

Caraces will go, clearly

and reed will come out with some more guff about it all

is not leaving

Watched Sociedad a few times this season. Wonder if we could tempt Illarramendi away. Would be a great partner for Romeu. 27 now, was massively hyped, big move but still playing a really high standard in a good team.

I think (guessing) we would go younger.

you seem very sure about VVD. I'd be amazed if stays, especially if we're offered £50m. You know what we're like.

Yep that's the reality.... What VVD wants is only half the battle. If the club wants to cash in once again they will manage his exit and the "we didn't want to sell but..." messages will be dusted off.

Think us fans are now numb to it all, we now just expect any decent players to be sold each summer. It's the Southampton way, certainly under Les and Kat.

I am desperately trying to stay positive especially after Ralph's messages about keeping players.

We need a summer where no 1st team player is sold, we deserve that.

Yep that's the reality.... What VVD wants is only half the battle. If the club wants to cash in once again they will manage his exit and the "we didn't want to sell but..." messages will be dusted off.

Think us fans are now numb to it all, we now just expect any decent players to be sold each summer. It's the Southampton way, certainly under Les and Kat.

I am desperately trying to stay positive especially after Ralph's messages about keeping players.

We need a summer where no 1st team player is sold, we deserve that.

No 1st team player is sold? I bloody hope we do sell some first teamers Clasie and Jrod for starters. Ideally Forster and replace him with a GK who can actually command his box. Gardos to if we can find someone to buy him hopefully we aren't going to offer Cuco a new contract either..

Tadic wouldn't be a disaster to sell. Like him but if he went we just have to persist with Boufal and hope he comes good.

Does seem unlikely we won't sell anyone when clubs are after Cedric, Bertrand, VVD, Rodriguez and Tadic.

Given his tangible benefit to the side it would be naïve IMO to just let him go easily.

He is one of the best players of his type in the PL and age 28 is in the prime of his career.

Would imagine having signed a new deal last summer we would be looking for at least £25m.

No 1st team player is sold? I bloody hope we do sell some first teamers Clasie and Jrod for starters. Ideally Forster and replace him with a GK who can actually command his box. Gardos to if we can find someone to buy him hopefully we aren't going to offer Cuco a new contract either..

Munch, munch, chomp chomp! Feed the troll and he will score!

Tadic wouldn't be a disaster to sell.

I'm not saying it'll be a disaster, or that Boufal couldn't replace him. But Tadic is a lot more useful than some Saints fans give him credit.

For example since Tadic signed for Saints in 2014, he is only beaten by 3 players for assists in the Premier League...

1st Fàbregas 32

2nd Özil 30

3rd Eriksen 26

4th Tadić 24

I'm not saying it'll be a disaster, or that Boufal couldn't replace him. But Tadic is a lot more useful than some Saints fans give him credit.

For example since Tadic signed for Saints in 2014, he is only beaten by 3 players for assists in the Premier League...

1st Fàbregas 32

2nd Özil 30

3rd Eriksen 26

4th Tadić 24

9 in his 1st season

14 last season

8 this sesson

9+14+8=24?

Prems only?

Tadic wouldn't be a disaster to sell. Like him but if he went we just have to persist with Boufal and hope he comes good.

Does seem unlikely we won't sell anyone when clubs are after Cedric, Bertrand, VVD, Rodriguez and Tadic.

Personally I think it would be a disaster. Without anyone else in the side who is creative we would be relegation fodder. I like Boufal but he has a long way to go before he is creating chances with regularity.

We sold the goals now some are suggesting selling those who created them is not a further step back?

No excuse what so ever for selling vvd. He's got 4 years on his contract to run! He will be worth more in a year why would we sell.

I disagree - Obviously I don't want it to happen but if the club received an offer upwards of £60m for him, I can understand why they'd accept. That is a huge sum of money and could enable us to buy a suitable replacement plus 2/3 high quality players for the squad.