Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Wesley Hoedt from Lazio says Sky rumours. Anyone know anything about him ?

Only what wiki says. CB, 23 yrs old, plays pretty regularly and has 4 Dutch international caps. Wiki doesn't mention if he's hungry or anything about his watch situation but certainly seems like a Southampton type signing.

Only what wiki says. CB, 23 yrs old, plays pretty regularly and has 4 Dutch international caps. Wiki doesn't mention if he's hungry or anything about his watch situation but certainly seems like a Southampton type signing.

Doesn't explain why Lazio would sell him though despite the recent story of a training ground bust up, the money talked of isn't too great unless they are strapped for cash.

Looks like hes most recently been playing the left hand side of a central back 3 for Lazio.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Now way that's gonna happen tho. Highly doubt we will pay 10m+ for a left footed CB while keeping VVD at the same time.

Why? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't VvD right footed? VvD could play on the right side of the 2 and new could play on the left side?

He improved with every match and deserves his chance, how else can we bring on the young ones?

Don't disagree that he deserves a shot and had some good games last year. He also had moments where he was caught out positionally, switched off, was weak in the air. These are all understandable for a young central defender, but to "play him in every match possible" suggests that even if he isn't good enough you want him on the pitch.

Don't disagree that he deserves a shot and had some good games last year. He also had moments where he was caught out positionally, switched off, was weak in the air. These are all understandable for a young central defender, but to "play him in every match possible" suggests that even if he isn't good enough you want him on the pitch.

I would of liked to have seen him as a CDM , he has the calmness, good range of passing and can tackle but I guess its down to his first touch and the ability to get out of trouble when under pressure.

Jack Stephens might be a bit miffed if we sign someone younger than him (Wesley Hoedt) who then goes above him in the pecking order.

My god you do speak some utter nonsense. If Hoedt is better than Stephens, he would and should play ahead of him. Age doesn't really come into it.

If we signed Dele Alli, do you think Steve Davis or JWP would be "miffed" that he's playing ahead of them? I wonder if Yoshida is miffed that VvD came in and went straight in ahead of him.

And before you come back with your usual "we don't need a CB we've already got 5", if we're given the chance to improve the team we should take it and offload those that aren't good enough.

Edited by SKD

Wesley Hoedt from Lazio says Sky rumours. Anyone know anything about him ?

Never seen him play but if he is left footed perhaps he is being considered as a replacement for Maya given that he hasn't signed a new contract yet and could leave this time next year.

Jack Stephens might be a bit miffed if we sign someone younger than him (Wesley Hoedt) who then goes above him in the pecking order.

No point us going for any player that is better than we have if we use the logic you are employing here.

"I'm sorry Gareth, we know you want to come back to Southampton but you are younger than Tadic and if we signed you it would upset him so the deal is off" :mcinnes:

Yeah for me its more that neither Stephens(just signed a 5 year deal) nor Yoshi would be happy as 4th choice centre back.

More likely he's one of the players we're tracking in case van dijk leaves or its the usual paper hot air.

Only other scenario is that Yoshida is off and he's coming in as competition with stephens for the 2nd slot

Yeah for me its more that neither Stephens(just signed a 5 year deal) nor Yoshi would be happy as 4th choice centre back.

More likely he's one of the players we're tracking in case van dijk leaves or its the usual paper hot air.

Only other scenario is that Yoshida is off and he's coming in as competition with stephens for the 2nd slot

Hopefully the latter.

Never seen him play but if he is left footed perhaps he is being considered as a replacement for Maya given that he hasn't signed a new contract yet and could leave this time next year.

I'd be more than comfortable with Maya going on a free tbh. He's been a good and loyal Servant to us. Got to have a replacement tho

A few websites (like HITC) have linked Everton to Hoedt.

The Liverpool Echo claim that the inventors of the dugout, wireless telephone and printing press are interested in him but prefer someone with more versatility who is able to play at fullback and in a midfield utility role:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-wesley-hoedt-defensive-cover-13414939

There has been no hint of Yoshi wanting to leave or being ushered out the door. Far from it he is one of our most loyal and committed players and will likely see out his career here before joining the coaching staff.

Maybe it's because MoPe is planning to go 3 at the back. Just a thought.

Isn't there an under 23 league ? Stick him there or loan him out . Is not good enough for a 1st team spot

k

What a load of pony. He's plenty good enough. This time next year he'll be hot property, provided he's used correctly. Chucking him to stagnate in the resses is a waste of his undoubted talent. You would be wetting yourself if he played for Ajax & we were linked with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Stephens is the new Jack Cork IMO. Massively overrated because he's young, English and plays for Saints.

Lets look at the facts... Deemed not good enough for England U21's, only got his chance due to injury and our failures in the transfer market last January, done well when he came in, but still made a lot of mistakes (one of which cost us the cup final) and our defensive record went down the pan (if Puel was good at anything, it was to set us up defensively...).

I'm not sure how Stephens can play CB when he refuses to ever head the ball.

You see, I like Stephens a lot. I've always liked a skilful centre-back that could and would carry the ball and make things happen and who could read the game. But what you've just said is what Swindon fans sometimes said 3 or so years ago. They also picked up on his defensive lapses/positioning. I think the Coventry fans also said likewise. If people haven't seen the 5-5 against Sheffield United, if they can they should although the highlights show only a bit of the picture. This is why I don't think he'll make a top class player: he's not defensive-minded enough (or loses focus/concentration) and doesn't think defend first, then play. It's those errors that will be exploited by the players he will play against because they are so good. I could almost see him as an attacking mid or a box-to-box midfielder but again I think he'll probably just be out of position a few times which could prove costly and I really can't think of anything other than hope he himself will iron out these problems because he comes across as sufficiently bright, as do a number of our 'youth'. Then, perhaps, he might come close (ish) to the player someone mentioned above: Bobby Moore (before my time, but there is footage around of him playing).

What a load of pony. He's plenty good enough. This time next year he'll be hot property, provided he's used correctly. Chucking him to stagnate in the resses is a waste of his undoubted talent. You would be wetting yourself if he played for Ajax & we were linked with him

Er! No! Not heard mention of any other PL club showing any interest. If he was rated the bigger boys would be sniffing around by now. 'Fraid you 'pony' is a one trick Pony.

Whatever happened to that Vietto rumour? Just scored (what looks to be the winner) for Madrid in this friendly tournament.

As it was a "SSN only" story, I think it was one of those ones they throw out every now & again to make some cash in the betting markets.

Pretty sure the Echo shot it down the following day.

(Here you go: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/15406351.No_Saints_talks_for_Vietto/)

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link Added

As it was a "SSN only" story, I think it was one of those ones they throw out every now & again to make some cash in the betting markets.

Pretty sure the Echo shot it down the following day.

(Here you go: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/15406351.No_Saints_talks_for_Vietto/)

Ah, i remember now. One of those infamous sky sports sources thingys.

Er! No! Not heard mention of any other PL club showing any interest. If he was rated the bigger boys would be sniffing around by now. 'Fraid you 'pony' is a one trick Pony.

At this stage he is little known outside our club, if he gets a run this season and builds on last, I fully expect that to change.

At this stage he is little known outside our club, if he gets a run this season and builds on last, I fully expect that to change.

I think he (Jack Stephens), is more likely to be the next John Stones or Gary Cahill of English centre backs. He also reminds a bit of Mark Wright.

Bloody hell for a player who only got a regular place back in February because of injury and no cover Stephens is certainly being bigged up on here. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, I think a fair few have missed him in the past couple of months.

I hope I'm wrong but to me he looks a very good Championship player and decent enough cover for a Prem team, no more or no less. He does some things well, equally there are areas of his game that don't look too hot, positional play and heading are quite important at centre back and they aren't his strengths. I agree that he could be a very good holding midfield player or the sweeper role in a three man centre back partnership.

If Jack Stephens is really the answer to our centre back problems then we will struggle this season.

I think he (Jack Stephens), is more likely to be the next John Stones or Gary Cahill of English centre backs. He also reminds a bit of Mark Wright.

Spot on. His improvement in 4 months was fantastic. He's composed, and technically sound. Centre halves mature later, its the reason clubs struggle to bring them through the ranks. He's certainly a prospect & handled correctly will be a class act.

Spot on. His improvement in 4 months was fantastic. He's composed, and technically sound. Centre halves mature later, its the reason clubs struggle to bring them through the ranks. He's certainly a prospect & handled correctly will be a class act.

This in spades

I'm not sure how Stephens can play CB when he refuses to ever head the ball.

He's fine. Someone commented on that late last season (probably you) so I made a point of counting clearances in the next game. He completed 8/10 clearances, 4 of which were with his head.