Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

We still need a VVD replacement. Stephens and Yoshida simply not good enough to be first choice if we have any sort of ambitions for top half.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

...and yet, we finished top half with them playing for half the season.

We still need a VVD replacement. Stephens and Yoshida simply not good enough to be first choice if we have any sort of ambitions for top half.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We only need a replacement if he goes, I think that all basically depends on Chelsea meeting the club's valuation, I'd also reckon we'd probably only agree to the sale if we had time for a replacement. I still think if we could persuade them to part with Christensen it would be an excellent deal but I am seeing stories saying Conte really likes him so maybe they won't even go for VVD.

The more days tick on, the less likely VVD is going IMO.

Just a goalkeeper really. Will never happen after his new contract, but I don't have any confidence in Forster and McCarthy is never fit. Other than that, I suppose a CB and a RF would be nice to have but not an absolute necessity assuming Van Dijk gets his head around the fact he isn't going anywhere, followed by saying he was badly advised and that it was all Jansen's fault.

Don't think I have gone into a season recently thinking that we only really need one more player, which makes the fact that it almost certainly won't happen particularly disappointing oddly enough. Put a really good keeper behind Stephens, Van Dijk, Cédric, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Boufal and Gabbi, plus plenty of decent options for each position, it looks quite good.

Just a bloody goalkeeper Les :(

Personally rate Forster just think he had a below par year last year, like I said in the other post we aren't going to get a better keeper without spending £30-40 million or finding a young one on the cheap (like the new Hart) or one comes through the youth ranks.

We aren't going to spend £30-40 million on a keeper, look at Pickford for example, cost that much and currently no better Forster IMO, someone like Butland would cost the same if not more.

But if Boufal comes good, Ward-Prowse improves again this year, Stephens continues his progress and Gabbi can recapture his early form then we are looking pretty good IMO.

Assuming Double VD stays, we'll have the strongest squad we've ever had imo. Load of competition for places. If we can add a few goals from midfield we're in for a cracking season I reckon.

Optimists live longer.......

No chance, koeman's first season was much better, but we do have more depth now, just not as much quality.

Forster

Clyne Fonte (before he found an ego) Toby Bertrand

Morgan Wanyama

Mane Davis Tadic

Pelle

Davis, Martina (who wasn't that bad under Koeman, IMO), Yoshida, Targett, Cork, JWP, Elia, Djuricic, Long

...and yet, we finished top half with them playing for half the season.

they were pretty gash to be fair.

Gash seems a bit unfair - surprising we were no better or worse without VVD points wise. After his injury we played 15 league games - W5 D4 L7 giving us 1.2 points per game. Average that over a season at you'd have 46 points which we had last season.

We did concede a lot however - in the 17 games we played without VVD we kept 6 clean sheets but conceded 30 goals in the other 11 (2.7 goals a game) and that was despite setting up ultra defensively in nearly every game we played.

The extra protection Mario (hopefully) offers should help.

No chance, koeman's first season was much better, but we do have more depth now, just not as much quality.

Forster

Clyne Fonte (before he found an ego) Toby Bertrand

Morgan Wanyama

Mane Davis Tadic

Pelle

Davis, Martina (who wasn't that bad under Koeman, IMO), Yoshida, Targett, Cork, JWP, Elia, Djuricic, Long

You're wrong, I'm right. HTH

So if no VVd ...you think Stephens , Yoshida and Bednerak are good enough ?? Cmon we need a quality centre back ....Weakest centre backs since we get promoted!!

Agreed mostly - although Jack is an excellent player in the making and Maya is a good squad CB - hopefully Tom 28's information on club talking to potential CBs was correct. Even if they retain VVD, he'll be off in January/June 2018 and SFC need to succession plan in such a key position and new signing needs a chance to build a rapport with Jack/Maya.

Agreed mostly - although Jack is an excellent player in the making and Maya is a good squad CB - hopefully Tom 28's information on club talking to potential CBs was correct. Even if they retain VVD, he'll be off in January/June 2018 and SFC need to succession plan in such a key position and new signing needs a chance to build a rapport with Jack/Maya.

This is a good point and the way prices are going right now i'd suggest it may even be cheaper to buy now and pay an extra years wages rather than pay a more extortionate fee for a player next year. For the record I think Stephens and Yoshida are perfectly serviceable as a CB pairing but do agree that a VVD replacement would be needed and should be good enough to slot straight into the starting line-up.

On a separate note i'm starting to think we could have a pretty strong looking bench this year. If we assume that either VVD stays or is replaced with sufficient quality and that we bring in a good loan keeper if McCarthy is injured it could look something like - *Loan GK*, Yoshida/Stephens, Targett, Davis/JWP, Boufal, Long & Austin with the Likes of Pied, Hojberg, Bednarek, Gardos, McQueen, Sims & Gallagher left out of the matchday squad completely...

@GraemeBailey: Middlesbrough trying for Lewis Baker - on a long-term loan from Chelsea, they looked at him last season too. Needed after Ramirez departure

What's a long-term loan when it's at home? 2 years? don't often see those in england.

What's a long-term loan when it's at home? 2 years? don't often see those in england.

I know. Nearest one I can think of was Roberts @ Celtic (wasn't that 18 months?)

I like Baker, but I don't think we'll be in for him on loan. No point in signing a loan player unless they start matches.

(unless it's a back-up keeper).

Hammers after Carvalho. Ambition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In much the same way they were after Lacazette?

I can tell my friends that I'm going to go on a date with Emma Watson - doesn't really work unless she agrees does it?

No chance we are letting Long and Jay Rod go without bringing someone else in.

Vietto has been told he can leave Atleti fwiw. Although only for a fee, not a loan. May be something we're monitoring in the back ground. I certainly wouldn't be against that as a swap.

No chance we are letting Long and Jay Rod go without bringing someone else in.

Not neccessarily IMO. What club needs more than 3 fully fit strikers competing for 1 spot in the starting 11? I know gallagher and gabi can play on the left or right wing aswell but theyre primarily strikers so i think trimming down is a great idea. That being said i would be up for a player of vietto or someone with similar pedigree replacing long.

Doubtful we'll splash out more than what we get for shlong tho.

Disagree, I reckon we still have a spare bit of cash somewhere espiecally now that we know VVD could bring us in a good sum.

Was under the impression that vvd was still not going despite him handing us a letter and what not. Either way we'll probably go for someone in the 20-23 yr old bracket, unfulfilled potential and cheap (by todays standards that is).

Would have no problem with selling Long and bringing in a more versatile option.

He was hideous on the wing, but not good enough in front of goal to play centre forward regularly.

Gabbiadini, Austin, Gallagher and a winger/10/false 9-type would keep us well stocked considering we're only going to play one up.

And we still have the "new Henry" up our sleeves if things get desperate...

You're not after much from one player!! Any suggestions of who?

Really, is it expecting too much to find an attacking option who can play out wide and through the middle with some level of competence?

We've been linked to two such players - Karamoh and Vietto - and had another in Juanmi on the books not so long ago who might well have fit the bill now.

Yann Karamoh, 19, seemed like a transfer rumour with some substance earlier in the window - a young, versatile attacker probably within our price range.

Really, is it expecting too much to find an attacking option who can play out wide and through the middle with some level of competence?

For me, yes. We've progressed beyond wanting players who can do a job in many positions. Long can so a job in a variety of positions, but on last year's form none of them very well. We need players who can improve the team in a specific position. We have JWP who's best position is unclear, ditto Boufal, PH and others. We've experimented in pre season with Austin as a 10. I want players who will have the ability to improve the team. Sure, good players can adapt to different roles but show me a player who is available to us who would improve us up front, in the hole and out wide.

Ben Arfa springs to mind, but we've probably missed the boat on that one with Puel going. His record is hit and miss, not sure I'd take the gamble. Him and Boufal in one team would be either fantastic or absolutely dreadful.

Personally, if at all viable, I'd break the bank (we'll use VvD money) for the ox.

The link above your post fits the bill - Vietto. Whilst that link is not a glowing reference, for sub 20 million euros he'd be worth the risk, 23, clearly very talented but not quite found his feet, good dribbler, quick etc. They seemed to say he had a terrible time on loan at Sevilla last year but scored 6 in 14 starts, with 3 assists in the league and got a hat trick in a cup game so that doesn't look that disastrous. He was a highly rated young prospect but doesn't seem to have quite made it, I'd imagine Pellegrino knows a fair bit about him.

If we could off load Long for £10 million, and get Vietto for £15 million then that would be some good business I reckon .

Edited by tajjuk

Would have no problem with selling Long and bringing in a more versatile option.

He was hideous on the wing, but not good enough in front of goal to play centre forward regularly.

Gabbiadini, Austin, Gallagher and a winger/10/false 9-type would keep us well stocked considering we're only going to play one up.

And we still have the "new Henry" up our sleeves if things get desperate...

I'd much prefer a 10, we have some quality out wide already, I'd even include Bertrand and Cedric in that.

VVD and Long out

Gylfi and Davinson Sanchez in

That would be a top window and financially viable as the money out would be about the same as the sales of those two, but it won't happen.

I'd much prefer a 10, we have some quality out wide already, I'd even include Bertrand and Cedric in that.

VVD and Long out

That would be a top window and financially viable as the money out would be about the same as the sales of those two, but it won't happen.

We would never spend £45m on one player and if a offer went in for Sanchez I would expect all the big boys to bid aswell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

VVD and Long out

Spunking a bucket load of money on a player who will have next to no market value at the end of his contract with us sounds like a pretty poor idea IMO.