Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Stephens is way over rated by some on here.

He's a promising player who may become really good given game time. The question is when and where. I don't think playing in the first team should be a training exercise. Play him when we can, but if we can get someone better, please do. This goes for every position, of course. Always play the best you can get, until you feel confident we're getting the result we need.

I like 3 at the back, because you can get 2 up top with no loss of midfield control.

We could play a 3-4-1-2, provided the 10 was capable of getting back in and making it a 3-5-2 when they have the ball. That way we could play both Austin & Gabbi However, with the players we have, Id imagine if we play 3 at the back it'll be a 3-4-3 with only one of Austin or Gabbi (unless one plays in a wide role), with Redmond & Tadic wide.

Still think we're bluffing & signing another CB will mean bye bye VvD, or at a push Yoshida. Just don't see Stephens & Yoshida as 3rd & 4th and the Polish guy as 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a hypothetical question? but would anyone, entertained the idea of letting vvd go, to allow the purchase of gylfi sigurdsson,??

Hmm - not sure, I reckon it might be prohibitively expensive to buy him from Everton the day after he's signed for them at a cost of £45m...

Couple of updates from an Italian journalist this morning

http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/en

Regarding Luciano Vietto, Sampdoria have supposedly agreed a fee with Athletico Madrid at €20m, however they are struggling to agree terms with the player. He's quoting a current salary of €2.4m and Sampdoria are only offering €1.6m plus bonuses. Other options for Sampdoria that they are considering are Inglese from Chievo Verona and Luan from Gremio. The translation isn't great but I read into it that Luan has declined a move to Spartak Moscow and Sampdoria have made an initial bid for him somewhere in the region of €16m to €18m.

The other update is regarding Yann Karamoh (remember him from the start of the transfer window). The young French winger, currently at Caen, was supposed to be joining Inter Milan. However Caen are holding out for a transfer fee of €10m, which Inter have not yet met.

Talked to an old friend from Italy yesterday who happens to be a Lazio supporter. I asked about Hoedt, and he was in general positive. Fantastic left foot, great physic, and pretty fast for a tall guy. His positional play, understanding of the game and some times lack of concentration is his biggest weaknesses (which is pretty serious for a defender). 17 million euro for a player who's they got for free, not a regular starter is "fantastic money" and he's sure that Lazio wants the deal to go through. So all in all, good player but some good coaching needed.

He asked me in return who this Van dijk guy is, he can't be any better than de vrij :)

Edited by saintadam
spelling

"Wesley Hoedt has reportedly said goodbye to his Lazio teammates, as he prepares to join Southampton.

It was reported yesterday that the Saints had made a €17m bid for the Dutch centre-back, with the Biancocelesti having agreed with the player’s agent that they’d sell him for that price.

This morning, Tuttomercatoweb reports, Hoedt said goodbye to his teammates at Formello, and he’ll fly to England imminently."

So, a few questions...

* If Hoedt signs will that be our last signing or will there be others? Some people have mentioned Vietto but from what others are saying that seems unlikely.

* If Hoedt signs and assuming VvD stays, who from our current squad will miss out on a place in the 25? Will Gardos be the one to miss out? Or will this lead to the sale of Gazzaniga?

* If we do sign another attacking player who else will miss out? Might that signal that we are going to sell Shane Long as some have suggested? Or again might this signal that both Gazzaniga and Gardos will be superfluous?

So, a few questions...

* If Hoedt signs will that be our last signing or will there be others? Some people have mentioned Vietto but from what others are saying that seems unlikely.

* If Hoedt signs and assuming VvD stays, who from our current squad will miss out on a place in the 25? Will Gardos be the one to miss out? Or will this lead to the sale of Gazzaniga?

* If we do sign another attacking player who else will miss out? Might that signal that we are going to sell Shane Long as some have suggested? Or again might this signal that both Gazzaniga and Gardos will be superfluous?

Redslo answers many of your questions in his excellent blog post

http://redsloscf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/how-are-things-going-southampton-2017.html

So, a few questions...

One more, attacking player I reckon.

Gardos looks most likely to miss out.

Long most likely to go. Gazza too but apparently we were after a loan keeper as well.

So, a few questions...

My prediction is that we will get Hoedt and another forward who can play wide or as a striker when needed.

Then Gazzaniga, Gardos (loan), Clasie and Long will all leave.

One more, attacking player I reckon.

Gardos looks most likely to miss out.

Long most likely to go. Gazza too but apparently we were after a loan keeper as well.

We signed Jack Rose the other day so that leaves us with Forster, McCarthy, Taylor and him if Gazzaniga goes.

Definitely won't be signing another keeper now.

Hoedt a replacement for Yoshida? 1 year left on contract so the club will be looking for him to pen a new deal or move on. I'd guess Yoshida is waiting to see whether he'll be 1st choice or bench this year before deciding.

I've wondered about this. Maybe Yoshida has indicated a desire to move on - perhaps closer to "home". It would make his contract situation and the long-term view on Bednarek more understandable.

Hoedt a replacement for Yoshida? 1 year left on contract so the club will be looking for him to pen a new deal or move on. I'd guess Yoshida is waiting to see whether he'll be 1st choice or bench this year before deciding.

Assuming he has been offered a new contract, which he absolutely should've happened by now (given that he can be poached in 6 months by a foreign team), I suspect that is probably the case. He's always seemed pretty comfortable being 3rd choice though, but I guess most players grow tired of it eventually (Stuart Taylor aside!).

Edit: You only have to look at Jonny Evans rejected £18m bid to realise it's a must (not that I'm saying Maya is better/par with Jonny Evans, but they're both probably starting CBs for lower(ish) Prem clubs)

Edited by Donatello

I really like the way we do our business - quietly and going for young players that are not the finished article but could be gems with good coaching (and very high resale value). They don't all work out but compared to the stupid money being thrown around the players we pick up are bargain prices (comparatively speaking).

When you look at some of the crazy money being thrown around our model is so much better.........

Good ol' arry at it again. Has he never heard of coaching players?

"I need to change a lot of them because they are not good enough for Birmingham City. This is a fantastic football club and if it's the last thing I do in football I will give their fans a good team."

"I need to change a lot of them because they are not good enough for Birmingham City. This is a fantastic football club and if it's the last thing I do in football I will give their fans a good team."

Doesnt he ever get tired of re-cycling the same old lines ?

Absolute cock just like his bloody son.

Wonder if his knee will start playing up when the weather gets a little colder, say, November/December and he'll need to go and get that operation re-booked. After all, last time (at QPR) he couldn't walk and taking training was nigh on impossible.

'No manager in the world can make players here better.' Lol

Look no further than Warnock at Cardiff. Why do the reporters not pick him up on his nonsense?