Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

For 15m he would be worth having. Would rather the Ox albeit a little closer to 20m perhaps, but would have to push boat out to around 80k weekly minimum for either

Considering our wage bill is 85m now we have many players earning similar to that already.

First team squad is averaging 65k a week now.

One of our weak points last year appeared to be set pieces where our centre backs appeared to be left wanting at times. However that may have been due to lack or organisation rather than marking or personel especially.

There were issues with in play defending at times but with Romeu having so much to do in our system he was left to virtually defend on his own in some games leaving the two centre backs exposed because he couldn't do it all.

I am sure we would have been more suited to 352 or certainly a three at the back as Koeman used successfully but Puel continued with wing backs virtually leaving two at the back and succeeded in somehow being outnumbered in midfield too!

Hopefully as long as messrs Hunter and Black are kept away from organisation our centre backs will thrive this year...

There was a chronic lack of leadership at the back last season with no one taking responsibility for organising the defence. One thing we had with Fonte (and Kelvin when he played) and with VVD was a leader in the back 5. This showed up most, as you point out, during set pieces.

For 15m he would be worth having. Would rather the Ox albeit a little closer to 20m perhaps, but would have to push boat out to around 80k weekly minimum for either

80k is peanuts to premier league footballers these days !

I'd really love to know what our strategy is this window. Is it to gamble that the new manager will be able to drag more effective performances out of our forward players & we look to add younger players with an eye on the future or will we look to add 2 or 3 players who can immediately improve the first XI? I suspect it's more the former, given our first purchase & the relative unknowns we've been linked with so far, but it'll only really bccome apparent, I'd say, in September. It would be nice to make at least one signing where the rest of the division would look & say "yeah, great signing".

It would be nice to make at least one signing where the rest of the division would look & say "yeah' date=' great signing".[/quote']

January 2017 - Gabbiadini (Everton and West Ham both jealous)

Summer 2016 - Boufal (OK hasn't made the impact we hoped but broke our transfer record)

January 2016 - Austin (voted signing of the window)

Summer 2015 - Van Dijk

I could keep going back, but there'd usually one "big" transfer every window. One thing I've noticed is they usually happen late in the window (aside from Austin). Maybe we keep our powder dry until late in the window in case a previously unavailable player pops up. Who knows, I'm happy with us signing players with potential as long as we have senior options already available but I'd still hope we make at least one big signing. And the position I'd say is most needed is DM.

I've noticed that we loan/sell a player and then we get a like for like purchase.

Sam Gallagher replaces Jayrod to complete our squad.

Reed has left for Norwich so we will be purchasing his replacement soon.

I'm afraid that's us done in the transfer market unless we move on the following:

Gardos, Clasie & Gallagher.

I've noticed that we loan/sell a player and then we get a like for like purchase.

Sam Gallagher replaces Jayrod to complete our squad.

Reed has left for Norwich so we will be purchasing his replacement soon.

I'm afraid that's us done in the transfer market unless we move on the following:

Gardos, Clasie & Gallagher.

Not sure we would get too many volunteers to replace Reed as our 5th choice central midfielder.

Not sure we would get too many volunteers to replace Reed as our 5th choice central midfielder.

I think Armstrong could be coming in as Reed's replacement according to the press.

That's the way to improve the squad unlike what we have done the last two years.

Think we only really need two players now - ideally I wanted a top CB alongside VVD but doesn't look like that's going to happen.

1 DM alongside Romeu,

1 AM/Winger who can create.

Apart from that I'm pretty happy with the squad.

don't we already have Boufal, Tadic and Redmond? it seems the wide am who creates is always everyone's most anticipated signing. I think we are ok in the striker department; the main worry is Gabba and Austin getting injured. We still need a decent cm. Ward Prowse and Davis not good enough if we want to challene for 7th. Have a feeling it may be a quieter window for us but the key is keeping VVD

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If we don't buy a decent CB this window then our board are utter mongs and have learned nothing from last season. Also, I think we need a proper box to box midfielder to partner Romeu.

I think the delay maybe due to the proposed takeover though.

If we don't buy a decent CB this window then our board are utter mongs and have learned nothing from last season. Also, I think we need a proper box to box midfielder to partner Romeu.

I think the delay maybe due to the proposed takeover though.

How old are you?

Nowt wrong with that. Esp after the last few summer windows

Yep - I'm all for a dull one.

A couple of fringe players out, and perhaps 1 decent signing.

That u21 kid from Chelsea looks like a decent option for a DM slot. New CB? - not sure....given our model I think Stephens will be given the chance to develop for a season alongside VVD.

The F5 button is going to have the summer off I think.

I reckon we'll get 3 in. Decent CM, a striker/AM, and a defender. Hopefully the CM will be the best of the 3. Keep our best too and and it'll be a good window. Only concern is lack of friendlies lined up at the moment. Odd that we've left it so late.

I'm surprised people think we should/will sign another defender. If VVD stays and partners either Yoshida or Stephens I'd be happy with that. They're both as good as, if not better than Fonte has been lately. Bednarek hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet, I'm sure he's at least good enough for 4th choice. How many CBs do we need for a season without European football?

I'm surprised people think we should/will sign another defender. If VVD stays and partners either Yoshida or Stephens I'd be happy with that. They're both as good as, if not better than Fonte has been lately. Bednarek hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet, I'm sure he's at least good enough for 4th choice. How many CBs do we need for a season without European football?

This

This.

The only problem is if VVD picks up another long-term injury early doors though.

If we want to push the top 7/6 then we need 2 excellent (first choice) and 2 good / okay to act as cover.

Currently we have 1 excellent (been out injured for months and still a doubt as to if he will be here next season) and 2 good / okay (yet to be seen how good Bednarek is, but he didn't look great in u21's).

I'm sorry, but if you want to consistently be a top 6/7 team, or even to just break into it, then the current options aren't good enough. Stephens done very well to fill in the back end of last season, but he also had some very bad moments (West Ham, Cup final and Arsenal in FA Cup off the top of my head), 1 of which cost us the cup. It also can't be forgotten how many goals we shipped at the end of last season either.

If we want to push the top 7/6 then we need 2 excellent (first choice) and 2 good / okay to act as cover.

Currently we have 1 excellent (been out injured for months and still a doubt as to if he will be here next season) and 2 good / okay (yet to be seen how good Bednarek is, but he didn't look great in u21's).

I'm sorry, but if you want to consistently be a top 6/7 team, or even to just break into it, then the current options aren't good enough. Stephens done very well to fill in the back end of last season, but he also had some very bad moments (West Ham, Cup final and Arsenal in FA Cup off the top of my head), 1 of which cost us the cup. It also can't be forgotten how many goals we shipped at the end of last season either.

So are you suggesting we sell Yoshida then? Because we won't need 5 first team centre backs.

If the club keep van Dijk, I think we'll start the season with van Dijk & Yoshida first choice, but over the season it will become van Dijk & Stephens.

Stephens isn't that young anymore, he turns 24 years old midway through the season and if the club see him as a long term starter he needs to be starting games very soon.

So are you suggesting we sell Yoshida then? Because we won't need 5 first team centre backs.

If the club keep van Dijk, I think we'll start the season with van Dijk & Yoshida first choice, but over the season it will become van Dijk & Stephens.

Stephens isn't that young anymore, he turns 24 years old midway through the season and if the club see him as a long term starter he needs to be starting games very soon.

I'm suggesting that what we currently have is not good enough, if are ambitions are as they state they are.

I think this is a good assessment. Maya and Stephens largely held their own without Van Dijk at the end of last season, so I think either partnering him, if he's back to his old self, will be strong, and we would struggle to buy better at a sensible price. Also true that we wouldn't keep 5 CBs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yoshida does have just 1 year left on his contract and we are yet to hear anything about a new one, so it's not exactly an outlandish suggestion.

While most of us are perfectly fine with Stephens or Yoshida partnering Van Dijk, we aren't too keen on the two of them together. I see both as 1st choice backup quality, so Stephens should be replacing Yoshida, Bednarek replacing Stephens as 2nd backup with a Fonte replacement still to come.

And does the club really see Stephens as a long term starter? Bit of an assumption to make, they could see him as a long term 1st choice backup at CB and DM.

Really of all the areas of our squad that need improving the back four (assuming no player sales of VVD Cedric and Bertrand) is not one of them. I'd have preferred another more experienced CB over the new lad but it's not a disaster.

GK, central midfield and strikers are all more pressing areas for improvement right now.

Edited by doddisalegend

I think we all have doubts in our minds ATM. No positive news on VvD staying yet, no structured preseason friendlies. We have seen 2 of the first team gone, and as of yet we have only seen a young CB come in, and we all saw his nightmare game for Poland, which got the alarm bells ringing. There are also doubts whether we have seen the last of Cedric, Bertrand, and Tadic. To top all that, there are rumours that Gabbiadini is finding it difficult to settle in the UK.

Then we have the takeover situation casting doubts in our minds, and that is scary at any time.

So the sooner we see some positive news from the club the better for me..we could all do with a little calmness and stabilty. Some excitement aswell, after a season of injuries, dissappointment and sheer boredom in the end.

Yoshida does have just 1 year left on his contract and we are yet to hear anything about a new one, so it's not exactly an outlandish suggestion.

While most of us are perfectly fine with Stephens or Yoshida partnering Van Dijk, we aren't too keen on the two of them together. I see both as 1st choice backup quality, so Stephens should be replacing Yoshida, Bednarek replacing Stephens as 2nd backup with a Fonte replacement still to come.

And does the club really see Stephens as a long term starter? Bit of an assumption to make, they could see him as a long term 1st choice backup at CB and DM.

Spot on if you ask me.

How many excellent CBs did City have last season? Or Liverpool? Or Everton?

I get your point, but even without VVD, conceding goals wasn't our main problem. Scoring them was. And to defend Stephens and Yoshida further, Forster was ****ing woeful behind them. I'd much rather we replaced him but that's unlikely.

How many excellent CBs did City have last season? Or Liverpool? Or Everton?

I get your point, but even without VVD, conceding goals wasn't our main problem. Scoring them was. And to defend Stephens and Yoshida further, Forster was ****ing woeful behind them. I'd much rather we replaced him but that's unlikely.

This for me is bizarre. FF was a liability for much of last season and one of the key positions that need strengthening.

Even without his 'moments' we need a GK who is more agile, commands the penalty area and can make routine saves. Anoying that we baulked at paying the £ wanted for Butland and signed Gazzaniga instead (But we spent big on Gaston Ramirez the same summer).

Jota from Brentford not in their squad tonight because a bid from a Premier League club is 'imminent'. Any chance it would be us? Attacking midfielder apparently a bit of a magician (according to their fans) and supposedly about £8mil. 26 years old.

I'd kinda assumed Bednarek would mainly play with the U21's this season. Have VVD and *New* as starting CB's and have Yoshida and Stephens as the 2 back-ups. Gardos to be moved on as I think the injuries have basically cost him his chance here.

With the assumption that VVD would be leaving next year you can move Bednarek to full squad season after with probably Stephens and whichever new guy we get this year starting. Of course Saints may have already decided we don't need another CB and we see Yoshida/Stephens starting with VVD but as others have said I think we still need a Fonte replacement (Stephens isn't there yet but shows a lot of promise).

Jota from Brentford not in their squad tonight because a bid from a Premier League club is 'imminent'. Any chance it would be us? Attacking midfielder apparently a bit of a magician (according to their fans) and supposedly about £8mil. 26 years old.

Never heard of him, I'd like to think for a top 8 team we'd be shopping in Waitrose rather than Poundland...

Sounds like a newly promoted teams level of signing?

Never heard of him, I'd like to think for a top 8 team we'd be shopping in Waitrose rather than Poundland...

Sounds like a newly promoted teams level of signing?

West Ham, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Everton the names mentioned on Twitter. I've only heard of him because of how much the Brentford fans worship him, but i've never seen him play myself.

I'd kinda assumed Bednarek would mainly play with the U21's this season. Have VVD and *New* as starting CB's and have Yoshida and Stephens as the 2 back-ups. Gardos to be moved on as I think the injuries have basically cost him his chance here.

With the assumption that VVD would be leaving next year you can move Bednarek to full squad season after with probably Stephens and whichever new guy we get this year starting. Of course Saints may have already decided we don't need another CB and we see Yoshida/Stephens starting with VVD but as others have said I think we still need a Fonte replacement (Stephens isn't there yet but shows a lot of promise).

Suspect we're not bringing another CB in, if VVD stays.

You'd hope we would, not only because Stephens and Yoshida are not as good as Fonte when he was at his peak as a no.2 CB; but also because it would give any incoming CB a year to adjust before taking over the reins from VVD.

You'd hope we would, not only because Stephens and Yoshida are not as good as Fonte when he was at his peak as a no.2 CB; but also because it would give any incoming CB a year to adjust before taking over the reins from VVD.

My thoughts exactly. We are in danger of becoming the new Arsenal but at a level below in that we concentrate too much on potential and forget about improving the now.

You're probably right. The rumored previous interest in Sakho and Semedo made me think we may have thought about getting someone in but I think the way Stephens stepped up last season may have made them reconsider.

To be honest i'd be happy with a creative midfielder obviously Sigurdsson would be a ideal candidate however don't think we would splash that much on him. Also like others have said somebody to play alongside Romeu another Wanyama type tank player is what we need.

If we upgrade those two positions then happy days think we already have alot of talent in the squad we just need to be able to capitalize on chances and work on finishing.

A partner for OR should be our priority. As long as we don't sell anyone else what's all we need IMHO. Injuries and lack of form was the killer last season.

This is what I want most, both as a partner for Romeu and as insurance in case he can't play. More than a few times last season, I worried about what would happen to the team if Romeu sustained a long term injury.

To be honest i'd be happy with a creative midfielder obviously Sigurdsson would be a ideal candidate however don't think we would splash that much on him. Also like others have said somebody to play alongside Romeu another Wanyama type tank player is what we need.

If we upgrade those two positions then happy days think we already have alot of talent in the squad we just need to be able to capitalize on chances and work on finishing.

Swansea want 40m